Aussie
Years ago

Crowd figure in Boondall last night?

Didn't look very big.

Anyone know the official figure?

Topic #40330 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange fixturing. Why use a Thursday Night game (where crowds have been lower than average for all teams) to use a bigger stadium? Not against one of the glamour clubs, either. Yet they play the game against Sydney at The Library.

Reply #609838 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'd estimate crowd at about 6000.

Not helped by having tip-off at 6:30 on a school night, which has traditionally been a killer in Brisbane. Furthermore people turned off by horrendous delays/roadworks currently plaguing the Boondall area.

If the NBL was serious about helping the game thrive here, they'd shift tip times here to 7:30 anytime there's a Thurs/Fri game.

Reply #609842 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Found it 5587

Reply #609851 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a really good Thursday night crowd. They sure got a show too, just from the wrong team.

Reply #609853 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

The timing is shocking, particularly considering the outer suburban location of the BEC and the already mentioned traffic works that are being done. You'd be hard pressed to get off work at 5:30 and be there for tip off and the crowd showed that, people still coming in all the way through the first quarter.

I understand that they're trying to build off the nostalgia associated between the Bullets and the BEC but the experiment hasn't been great thus far. Fair enough to have the season opener there and that felt like a genuine event but last night the real library was the BEC. Convention Centre is positively lively by comparison in the other home games.

Reply #609857 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very odd decision to use Boondall for an early Thursday night game.
Was the convention centre unavailable?

Reply #609867 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

5,600 on a Thursday night too what's wrong with that?

I would consider that very promising even if most were freebies (they at least made the effort to turn up given the night and difficulties of the area).

Reply #609872 | Report this post

Yeah I agree, 5600 on a Thursday with all the excuses not to get there for a 6:30 tip off? I'd rate that as more promising than worrying...

Reply #609951 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed.

Reply #609955 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Hey guys, was at the game. Second time I have been to Boondall to see a basketball game. 1st time was to see the boomers and it was set out crap. Thursdays was pretty good. Court looked good, lot of room to move. Only issue is Boondall is Crap to get to. Only concern they have drum line there for people to get excited about, not sure about that. Also had to perfect angle for Fergs Dunk!!!

Reply #609994 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Traffic to Boondall is so bad. Never going out there again for a weeknight game.

Reply #610073 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"Hey guys, was at the game. Second time I have been to Boondall to see a basketball game. 1st time was to see the boomers and it was set out crap. Thursdays was pretty good. Court looked good, lot of room to move. Only issue is Boondall is Crap to get to. Only concern they have drum line there for people to get excited about, not sure about that. Also had to perfect angle for Fergs Dunk!!!"

The BEC has 2 set ups for basketball/netball. Full stadium mode where the court is in the middle of the floor and full capacity can be used. And half-mode where the court is set up at the non-stage end and a curtain is used to block off half of the arena.

I know a few people from Brisbane and they usually refer to Boondall as Boondocks because its nowhere near the city itself.

Reply #610616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754