Zodiac
Years ago

Brisbane vs Cairns, Dec 3

Taipans lead 24-18 with 2:00 to go in the 1st.

Topic #40386 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Make that 27-18

Reply #611037 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Entertaining game, but some super soft fouls getting called on both ends as per usual.

Reply #611040 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Te Rangi is awful.

Reply #611041 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Was chuckling to myself when Trice tried to argue his travel call at end of 2nd.

I'd really love to see the refs get some instructions from up top to let the bigs be more physical battling for rebound positions. As long as its not blatant two arm pushing.

Reply #611046 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agreed 100%.

Reply #611047 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Crazy how different Jervis looks in Brisbane than in Perth... he really looks like he's regressed.

Reply #611053 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Brisbane showing their age on occasions like this, seems they are spent after that effort in Perth.

Reply #611054 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

*whispers* Hey Trevor, Travis Trice would look good in a Wildcat's uniform next year... how about it mate?

Reply #611056 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Brisbane beat cairns comfortably last time they played in Cairns yet they play this pathetic at their own home court?? It happens way too often all season so far! If the NBL wants to attract more fans i think they should take a long hard look at how inconsistent ALL the NBL teams are! They are supposed to be professional athletes but i dont see anything professional about the way Brisbane have played the first 3 quarters at their on home court! I mean people should not have to pay to watch this amatur stuff on all honesty people should be payed to watch this kind of crap not the other way around!!! Compared to any other National competition they just seem like they dont care some nights! Even in the Asian leagues their are blow outs but you can at least see how hard the players try! Brisbane dont seem interested in playing & if i showed up to work & did a half ass job i would be sacked maybe some of these players should be too!!!

Reply #611057 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

while I agree, it is frustrating to watch, some teams havean excuse for inconsistency - Brisbane however, do not. They have a mix of veterans who know this league inside and out and an olympic coach...

36ers on the other hand have Doyle, Ferguson, Jacobsen, Deng, Drmic who have never played in this league before. For them to string together two crucial wins is a testament to how good of a coach Joey is.

Reply #611062 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wortho the douchebag, not a cool play to throw the ball at Bruce's face. I know its a split second thing but for someone with his reputation and experience, I reckon he did that on purpose.

Reply #611064 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Karma for Wortho now, charge call after that Bruce play and missed a wide open two hand slam. Tsk tsk.

Reply #611069 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Brisbane just woke up after coming home from Perth haha

Reply #611071 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow Jawai actually managed to bend down low enough to knock the ball off Craig's hands? Wow!

Reply #611073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is the best 5 man in the league. Absolute monster.
Enjoyed the game, those complaining about inconsistent teams just shows how good all teams are. Bevo, Fearne, Lemanis are the best coaches but nothing guarantees you a final spot though. Kings probably got best starters but fall away or bench not used enough to no.

Reply #611076 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

My takeaways from the game:

BRISBANE
- Lemanis flubbed his rotations from tip off. With Jawai beasting early it was obvious that Bairstow was the only bloke who had a fighting chance of playing him well, don't think Bear went against him until well in to 2Q. Young is solid but was no match. Jervis did ok but was hampered by the usual early foul trouble.

- I like that Beal, Gibbo and Torrey were leaned on for 30+ minutes. Unfortunately needs to be this way as Bruce has been in really poor form lately and Te Rangi is just downright terrible (is there anyone in the league 1-9 who is worse?!)

CAIRNS
- Jawai looks fit. Trice led the scoring for the snakes but Jawai was the game winner.

- I'm no fan of Fearne's coaching but his rotations were on point tonight, except maybe for Weeks being ahead of Heuir, who I think offers more.

Reply #611118 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Brisbane should use the 3rd import spot on a import PG and release TeRangi i reckon

Ced Jackson did pretty well under Lemanis and may be available!

Reply #611223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Aaron - grats, you just won the stupidest f*cking post of 2016 gong

Reply #611252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No seriously Aaron, you're telling us the NBL sucks because results aren't predictable enough and the crowds are turned off by this ?

forget stupidest post of the year, you're in the grand final for the dumbest post of all time on any forum about any sport

You are a complete and utter SPASTIC

Reply #611254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say Aaron lost some money on the bullets today. Comes across very salty and very unstable outlook on an incredibly close season developing for an entertaining league.

Reply #611255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were square enough to bet Brisbane as a favourite in the spot they were in today you deserve everything you got, or lost.

Reply #611257 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Aaron... gotta factor in travel on your punts mate. Cairns should've been favourites in my book.

We should be starting to ask the question of whether Trice is at Wilbekin's level. The kid is so clutch. Looking like the best jumpshooter to ever wear a Taipans uniform.

Reply #611258 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Aaron isn't very good at the thinking and comprehending stuff.

Reply #611261 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

So that's what happens when the power stays on?
Bullets won't finish above Snakes,bank on it.
As for Trice he could go home now & be ahead of Wilbekin.

Reply #611344 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Only if you're watching one end of the floor.

Reply #611350 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No way Thunder Jam, Wilbekin was our heart and soul defensively and made everyone on the team look like a stud. Shame he never really found his three ball down here, because he's a damn good shooter.

Stacked up against Scottie, TT ain't shit defensively. Very similar stats all round apart from FG% (Trice +11) and 3pt FG% (Trice +22).

But Trice has played only eight games.

Reply #611361 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I reckon Trice is heading into Wilbekin territory Manu - all depends on how his next 15 games go if he gets there.

Here's another huge call - Fu is the best wing defender we've had since Dorsey, maybe the best ever.

Reply #611417 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Offensively Trice is a supestar in the making, and a much better scorer than Wilbekin, but he isn't as good a floor general or defender.

Hard to compare them really as they are such different players, like comparing D-Mac and Rucker.

Reply #611419 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Podge, I reckon he has a ways to go but definitely getting there.

Paul, different players but in terms of Snakes point guards you've gotta compare. From memory they would be the two best import PGs in club history. Mee was a bit of a let-down. He came here then flat-lined, went to Wollongong and played well, then came back here and kinda stunk. Haven't dug up stats but that's what I remember from watching him.

If Fu played more on the ball he'd be even more effective. He could be a Damian Martin type if he guarded ball handlers. He's lightning laterally and with the hands.

Reply #611424 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wasn't saying you shouldn't compare them, just that it's tough to do so. Jamar Wilson in his first year was a different sort of player again but very effective.

Like the idea about Edwin, the game against Adelaide might be the time to try it because their SFs aren't big scoring threats with Creek out, and Randle has had a little bit of trouble with longer defenders.

Reply #611432 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

True that. I've seen him get impatient when defending off the ball and jump passing lanes unnecessarily, so that's one way to keep him happy. Funny concept -- keeping an import happy by increasing his defensive responsibility.

Reply #611437 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh and Podge, I'm sticking with Grabau for top wing defenders. If only we had five of him back in the day we would've had a championship already

Reply #611611 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Fu reminds me so much of Bobo...

And I have a heap of time for Nnanna - he doesn't show up much on the stat line but geeze he causes some problems for the opposition, and with a cheeky grin on his face most of the time.

Reply #611631 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Thanks, @Manu and @GordonG, for posting about Bobo as our best wing defender. Podge, give yourself a slap for not considering Aaron in that discussion, my friend!

Reply #611650 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Bobo is unassailable, I should have said the 'best wing defender since Dorsey, with the exception of Bobo who will forever sit upon his mighty defensive throne' :)

100% with you Gordo, Eggs' energy is outstanding. Great footwork when defending the PnR.

Reply #611651 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The great man just could not take a good photo though, could he. Every single time in the paper... that pained look on his face. You know the one. Like a 6-month-old on the brink of tears after his toy car was taken away from him.

Reply #611737 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754