Anonymous
Years ago

Should Thompson have been allowed to play the 4th?

While the game was well and truly over, should Klay have had a chance to break some records. Who knows, may have had a chance to break Wilt's 100, at the very least would have been odds on to beat kobe's 81.
While etiquette demands he sits the 4th, how huge would it have been to drop 80-100 in an NBA game. And yes, I'm aware of he got injured it would have been disastrous, but he's not even the top 2 scoring option in his team.

Topic #40411 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Haralabob made the point on Twitter that the Warriors chased the season wins record last year which meant not resting their stars. That was likely to have had more effect on a championship run than playing one guy 10ish extra minutes.

At least let him go for 70.

Pros:
Bigger headlines
More records
More fun for fans at home and in the stadium

Cons:
Slight risk of injury
Poor sportsmanship

Not much talk about Wilt and poor sportsmanship now. Just the massive stats.

Reply #611705 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Absolutely he should have been allowed to stay in the game. Klay was robbed of the opportunity to put up 70 or even perhaps 80 points which would have bought him huge marketing opportunities. Much more than a 60 would allow. Plus it robbed all us supporters of the chance to see something truly special (not that 60 in 3/4 isn't special). I wonder if it was Steph or KD would Kerr had let them stay out there?

Reply #611707 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I really don't understand why people get so up in arms over so-called "etiquette" and claiming bad sportsmanship.

Smashing records is fun, the fans certainly love it.

I know that when teams are up by miles, the coach will often run the bench, and that's great. But if you're gonna get all pissy about it, one could argue that is disrespecting the opposition.

I remember several games, back in the 48 minutes era, when somebody would be on the brink of a triple-double, and the fans would scream for him to be put back on and be given the opportunity. Its all good fun.

In the AFL, when a forward is going nuts and closing on a record, you don't bench him. His teammates will start funnelling him the ball to help it along.

Reply #611709 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

I think Thompson would have been happy sitting out the 4th. He would have been satisfied with his performance and the team getting the win. I don't think he would have cared going after Kobe's record.

Reply #611716 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

In the 2014/15 Championship year Klay and Steph always sat out the last quarter once the margin was sufficient. I'd say they should follow this, no matter the circumstance, it has been proven successful in the long run.

Reply #611724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time warriors went hard to break a record it didn't end so well... so yeah there's your answer.

Reply #611726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All points are valid, but it could have been a once in a lifetime opportunity. Plus it's early in the season so rest wouldn't be a huge point if it were late in the year. However at some point the opposing team might have felt disrespected and hammered him on a drive or something.
And before a smartarse mentions there's such a thing as google, what's the record amount of points vs minutes played with say a half as a cutoff for minutes.

Reply #611731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Warriors learned their lesson from last year. Sometimes it's not the physical exertion, but the mental focus on the wrong things that drains you. Good decision by Kerr.

Reply #611732 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Spurs fan says of course not. When you're smashing a side you give your star players rest so they don't feel fatigued or risk injury for playoff time and you get some playing time and development players into those who don't get any/or much in close matches

Reply #611755 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The NBA needs records happening. Otherwise regular season games will continue to mean less and less.

Predicability is hurting the league.

Reply #611807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw something that suggested he was on track to hit 87 at the rate he was scoring, and in the minutes Kobe had his 81.

I think it would've been worth playing him the fourth just to try and beat and annoy Kobe.

Reply #611812 | Report this post

Kapten  
Years ago

Robbed.

The NBA, The Fans, The Klay.

Reply #611819 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Saw someone saw he was scoring at 2.07 points per minute, and Wilt's 100 came at 2.08ppm.

Reply #611828 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

*Saw someone say

Reply #611829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Per minute doesn't do it justice because in wilts game there were more possessions per minute

Reply #611836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The NBA needs records happening.

I want to add a qualifier to that. The NBA needs records by perpetual winners &/or storyline types.

If a record is set by a forgettable player, then it kind of devalues the record. For instance, if you see Michael Jordan has a record you go "dayummm", if you see Kevin Love beat the record it's like "eh good for him".

I'm not trying to devalue those who get records - but as time goes on, you really want records to be held by those who are memorable. If someone's going to beat a record, you want them to be around the same mark.

Kobe is memorable because he was a superstar who had valid comparisons to Jordan, a 5 time champion, an MVP and a storyline for controversial reasons. He fits both billings.

Charles Barkley was a star who didn't have much success championship wise, but he was such a storyline he still fits the bill.

Tim Duncan will be remembered for perpetual success.

Now imagine players like Harden and Westbrook. They're good, they've been good for a while. They might get some records.

But 10, 15, 20 years down the track are people going to remember these guys and talk about them like we talk about them today? Probably not, they'll likely be rather forgettable. In fact, there's probably a lot of guys in the past and down the track who have had similar types of impact in the NBA. No doubt there will be in the future.

So sure, guys might set records, but if you see a record with a name that's not associated with perpetual success, superstardom or storyline behaviour then I hate to say it, but it kind of diminishes the record. Even though the record is broken.

Reply #611840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could there be more possessions per minute for Wilt when their was no shot clock? Wasn't at the game personally but would have thought it would be way slower. And Wilt was a true giant amongst men, like an 18 year old kid playing in under 16s and dominating just because he's older and bigger. Makes Klays effort all the more remarkable.

Reply #611845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They played very fast in wilts day like an all star game. His 100 was actually not as good a scoring rate as Kobe's 81

Reply #611846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How could there be more possessions per minute for Wilt when their was no shot clock?
How long ago do you think Wilt played, exactly?

Reply #611855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad, should have done my research. Retract my statement re Wilt being in a lower scoring era and shot clock etc.

Reply #611877 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

One word "Class" Steve Kerr has it. Your up by 50 you don't go for individual honors in that situation. It would have ruined all of their reputations. Coaches, organization and the players. You would force players and staff to distance themselves from the decision which would create disharmony throughout the organization. And believe me when I tell you that Klay would have been a marked man and would be fouled brutally the rest of the season. Americans don't take kindly to teams still pressing up 30 with 2 minutes to go. Or heaving last second shots when you've clearly won the game. It's flat out disrespectful.

Reply #611879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really isn't.

Reply #611880 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Woulda gunned for it, stuff class when you can break a scoring record, doesn't come often.

Reply #611900 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Anyone complaining about an opponent lacking class if they allow a guy playing out of his skin to go chase a record, is pretty much just a lil' bitch. The league is about getting wins, but it's also about fun, entertainment, and pleasing the fans.

Reply #611901 | Report this post

Red Back  
Years ago

Damn. How do you quote on this bloody thing?

Reply #612848 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Luuuc, you're not a Spurs fan are you haha

Red Back you do:

< blockquote > insert quote here

but remove the spaces before and after "blockquote"

Reply #612851 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

lol the filter deleted the close tag.

You close it off with < / blockquote > but with no spaces

Reply #612852 | Report this post

Red Back  
Years ago

Thanks. I do know a little about BBcode but didn't think to use 'Blockquote', instead of 'Quote'.

Reply #612853 | Report this post

Red Back  
Years ago

Woulda gunned for it, stuff class when you can break a scoring record, doesn't come often.

Exactly

Reply #612857 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

If only:

Reply #612859 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754