Zodiac
Years ago

Breakers vs Wildcats, Dec 15

15 minutes! I'm old enough to remember when there would've been a lot of interest in a NZB vs Perth game.

No Webster for the Breakers, no Martin for the Wildcats. I assume the corpse formerly known as Matt Knight has been sufficiently reanimated for this encounter?

Breakers probably too strong at home.

Topic #40477 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

My money is on Perth. Hate them with a passion and their fan base. But breakers have been shite.

Reply #613091 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Both teams look woeful early.

Casey Franks commentary is so one-eyed. Horrid.

Oh...and Gleeson is a flog.

Reply #613092 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Way to hit your FTs boys

Reply #613093 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Good lord this is an ugly game,going on this no way either of these teams are contending this year if they keep this crap up.

Reply #613094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shocking quarter of basketball. Sadly I can't unsee what has been seen. Breakers a heap of offensive boards. Eventually they will start making the 3 and Perth don't seem to have a lot of answers offensively on their end. Agreed though neither of these teams are going to do any damage come playoff time. Saving grace for the breakers is they may be able to bring in a great import. But Perth are shot. Even if they win tonight which is where my money is, they won't be causing much damage to some of the better scoring teams.

Reply #613095 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Why does everyone say Kenny can shoot?
He is junk.

Reply #613096 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Hard to believe with all the money and resources we have, we bring in two imports who are average in a year when you are allowed three. Johnson and Mckay are right up their with the worst we have had.

Reply #613099 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Lol what a putrid game

Reply #613100 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Hard to believe with all the money and resources we have, we bring in two imports who are average in a year when you are allowed three. Johnson and Mckay are right up their with the worst we have had.'

It's very strange that we'd have one cut price import let alone two.

Reply #613101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather read every post dazz have ever written and koberulz rebuttal of all things than watch any more of this Perth crap. Can not score. Such a boring team to watch.

Reply #613102 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Perth Wildtrash

Reply #613103 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Johnson and Mckay are right up their with the worst we have had.
Sunday Adebayo & Ryan Mendez say hi!

Reply #613104 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth shooting 25% LOL!

Reply #613105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Franks commentary is one eyed?

Have you heard your fox sports commentators?

Reply #613106 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

One of the world halfs of basketball I've ever seen.

LK should pull both their licenses for this.

Reply #613107 | Report this post

Perth  
Years ago

This is horrible. Wildcats have a hall of fame but this team will make the hall of shame.

Reply #613108 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

5/14 free throws you can't be serious

Reply #613109 | Report this post

Perth  
Years ago

Not getting offensive rebounds, not hitting free throws, can't shoot the outside shot, NZ clogging the keyway.

Horrid Wildcats.

Reply #613110 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, 23 points for the 1/2.
Wildtrash!!

Reply #613111 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth 23 points at the half.

Reply #613112 | Report this post

Perth  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen will surely be smiling underneath as it's his job next season when the Wildcats sacks Gleeson.

Reply #613113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth with a 8 point second quarter. Splendid. Trash team, and boring as ever.

Reply #613114 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Both teams shooting a combined 7/29 FT's. I just don't know what to say to that.

Reply #613115 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

23 points at the half would have to be a Perth and NBL record for sure.

Reply #613116 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Highlight of the game for me so far... the three Santas dancing at midcourt... yaiiiii.

Reply #613118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that trash yet down 10 you have to think Perth will some how keep it tight.

Reply #613120 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Melbourne Wildcats not that good tonite

Reply #613121 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol.
It just gets worse for Flogson!

Reply #613123 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

lel

Reply #613124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the offseason, if I sas Trev, the only players I'd have returning are Prather, Damo, Knight, Kernich-Drew (based on potential) and Kenny. Everyone else has to go. Team has absolutely no depth or offensive firepower.

Reply #613125 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"Perth Wildbricks!"

Quality sledge

Reply #613126 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

This is the most boring game i have ever watched in my life & if i didn't have a bet on NZ i wouldn't bother watching but my point is where does fox sports get these commentators That long bearded buffoon has not got a clue about anything he might be an ex player but he really talked so much crap in that segment at the half time report he stated this is only a game a mother could love then in the very next breath said its been a really entertaining half??? Like WHAT THE FU*K? Is he serious or just that retarded? He cant possibly be serious can he??? Both teams are playing with no intensity no passion NO SPEED and NO DIRECTION & to be honest i am very very lucky to be winning by 10 The NBL need to find a way to attract people to watch their brand as it is & games like this make people want to turn their TV off! Its a disgraceful performance from to under achieving teams that have no hope of winning the championship this year but my point is they are supposed to be professional athletes but i havnt seen anything close to professional about how either team have played & i would much rather watch a bunch of 16yr olds play than watch another half of that crappy basketball at least most teenagers playing have some passion for the game!!!

Reply #613127 | Report this post

Perth  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen will surely be smiling underneath as it's his job next season when the Wildcats sacks Gleeson.

Reply #613129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have so much hate towards this game Aaron than why watch it?

Let alone write a novel explaining to people who don't really care why you feel this particular way about this game.

My goodness.

Reply #613130 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Casey Prathers have cut the lead to 12.

Reply #613131 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #613132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ pay these 3 muppets off? loool

Reply #613133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henare subs Loe for that weakass dunk attempt

Reply #613134 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Get Anthony Davis I mean Casey Prather some help

Reply #613135 | Report this post

Perth  
Years ago

Refs even going for NZ. That's a f decision.

Reply #613136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it makes you guys happy, refs with the make up call giving Vukuna a tech for tripping

Reply #613137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth getting screwed by the refs loooool love it.

Reply #613139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To Trev's credit though, Jaron looks much better off the bench where he is a bigger threat on offense

Reply #613141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather cramping up from carrying the Wildcats all night.

Reply #613142 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Gleeson putting the game well out of reach now.

Reply #613145 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

F$@K

Reply #613146 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #613147 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Streak is over, hope we get a discount next season or I know a few ppl that are not going to renew.

pathetic effort, the worst game I have seen this season without a question.

Perth have no fire power what so ever and still why they didn't get a replacement for damo will cost them the playoffs and a few members next season.

Reply #613148 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

So anyways... why does McKay sit on the bench so much.. I heard it all regarding his supposed energy and advanced stat awesomeness..

Shocking shooting tonight. No effort on glass / blocking out on NZ off boards.. poor decision making.

Time for free throw practice to be amped up.

Reply #613150 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Get rid of Gleeson. Good night 30 year streak.

Play Bragg more, play Brandt more, play redhage less, sign curry and deactivate JJ

Reply #613151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible great result. Always happy for the cats fans to suffer. And it's happening in such a woeful way not even showing up, fantastic. Enjoy you deserve all the trolling.

Reply #613153 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

jj not the problem, coach is the problem, guy can shoot, reminds me of Daniels. had spurts not to consistently enough.

Reply #613158 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth shot 36% on free-throws

Reply #613160 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kinda glad I wasn't able to watch this one live ... but I still won't be able to resist looking at the recording.
Who the hell shoots sub-40% from the free throw line as a team? WTF????

Reply #613161 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

got 2 captains club seats or any one is interested for sale. Not kidding, not paying for a pathetic season.

Not going to any more home games next season, should start a petition to the Wildcats.

Not about where we are or the streak, it's about the attitude of the coaching staff and player's.

to many times this season, Wagstaff? wouldn't make a casual Sunday team.

Reply #613163 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Enjoying the dummy spitting from some Perth fans. Tonight was a case of two defences who knew they other team very well and two offences struggling with PG issues.

Neither team could really get into sets (the reffing on par with the level of play didn't help either!) so they just relied on individual bail-outs to score for most of the night.

I wonder what the situation with Ben Woodside's foot is? If he's not going to be back soon I'd write him off if I was the Breakers and bring in two new import guards while they have a two week break.

Reply #613165 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kinda ironic comments coming from someone with the username "Cats 4 Life".

A lot of fans are disappointed dude but it's not the end of the world. Maybe you could donate your seats to the underprivileged who might appreciate them a bit more.

They kept Breakers to 69 points and got the game to within 5 in the 4th quarter after being down by 20 and beat Melbourne in Perth last week. Be proud of your team win or lose and stop giving Perth fans such a bad rep.

Reply #613166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are concerned managemen5 are doing anything. Look at what Casper Ware has done for Melbourne - we are running out of time to reverse this poor season. We are ranked bottom in most stats so "its not the end of the world" if mediocrity and losing are what you enjoy.

Sack coach, Bring new import in (with a proven record)

Reply #613169 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

no surprise really. It's one of the funny, lop-sided things about this "rivalry": NZ do reasonably well in Perth, Cats not so in NZ.
ON the plus side it was good to see Prather play reasonably well on the road, and a decent score from JJ.

Good, tough game from both teams, but the Breakers were just tougher, steadier, and more consistent all night. That woeful 2nd quarter pretty much sunk the Cats.

Reply #613170 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

We are proud of the Cats and coaching staff, let's go wildcats. Get behind your team.

Reply #613175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of these dummy spits is awesome!!!! Keep going you morons.

Reply #613176 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gleeson is a flog

Reply #613185 | Report this post

Brutal Game  
Years ago

ROFLcopter is a flog.

Reply #613187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say the reason Casey Frank talked down the game and then contradicted himself is because he's aware he's there to maintain interest in the product. His instinct was to tell it how it is. He then overcompensated to appear less negative.

Damian Martin is surely 2016/17 MVP.

Reply #613189 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

ROFLoopter is a flog.

Reply #613191 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's crazy when you see how much the Cats struggle without Martin. If you were to look at his stats, you would think that he wouldn't be hard to cover but you just can't measure his leadership and impact.

Reply #613192 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

cats 4 life, not when you dish up crap

Reply #613195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad. Fantastic.

Reply #613197 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

4 life.....as in until you die.....not until your team start playing bad.
Cmon dude, we have had a real good run and to be honest it wasn't that bad of a loss. Wasn't like we got pumped for 40. The rest of the league has caught up, good things will come out of this eventually. Perth are still only a few wins of the top 2.

Reply #613200 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

They'd better not be pinning their hopes on Martin changing their finals fortunes. Yes his impact is immeasurable but he's missed half the season and we dont know what standard he can get back to playing.

They should have replaced JJ with a combo guard weeks ago to steady the ship until Martin comes back. It doesn't look like they're doing that and its an embarrassment to the club if poor management decisions are the reason for such a poor season.

Reply #613201 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Agreed, Imagine if they got Ware.

Reply #613202 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth now 1-5 on the road.

Just slowly confirming something I predicted on these forums after they'd played about 2 or 3 road games- they won't win too many away from Perth Arena this season.

Reply #613206 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

that's my point, can't stay on top forever, seems the club doesn't give a shite, that's the part a lot of us members talk about. Martin gone and didn't replace him with no one?

I got two jobs, just to keep my membership. like I've said, if you lose you lose but this season is a circus and there a team with no direction other than going down.

Reply #613207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams better start recruiting these young college guys coming out! There are some real bums on both teams!! Ili is not at the level

Reply #613209 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I'd like to know who is making the recruiting decisions? In a well run organisation the coach should be given the control to build his own team and unltimately be responsible for on court performance. After all, the HC and assistants have the contacts to recruit the players they need. This season has been a bust in that area. Two very average bargin bin imports. Im not a huge fan of Gleeson but he seems to have his hands tied and hes trying to do the best he can with the players at his disposal.

Reply #613210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop blaming the imports. Honestly do a comparison with any other team and they're close. Talk of ware but the cats already have prather. Teams don't have multiple superstar imports there's a salary cap.

Which team has multiple superstar imports. They have one and then role players filling the other two. Cats are the same.

Ware/Moore/Williams
Randle/Ferguson/Jacobsen
Trice/Edwin/egwu
Powell/Whittington
Craig/beal
Mitchell/Stockton
Clarke/Harris/holyfield
Prather/Johnson/McKay

Compare Johnson and McKay to other teams second and third imports if you want to be fair. There's not much difference.

If anything the cats are hurting because their two best Australian players Martin and knight have been banged up

Reply #613215 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a very interesting point. Here are the combined scoring averages of each team's imports:

Perth 43ppg
Melbourne 40ppg
Adelaide 36ppg
Illawarra 36ppg
Cairns 30ppg
Brisbane* 28ppg
Sydney 27ppg
New Zealand* 22ppg

Reply #613218 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you do the same thing with rebounding:

Perth 16rpg
Sydney 14rpg
Adelaide 11rpg
Brisbane* 11rpg
Cairns 10rpg
Illawarra 10rpg
New Zealand* 10rpg
Melbourne 8rpg

Reply #613219 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, it is disturbing that we seem to be banking on Damo's return from a Severe Knee Injury, to save our fortunes. Things will get better, and we'll certainly be better if and when Damo makes it back. I'm just worried we'll be too far gone by then. There are too many good teams fighting for a spot. This isn't like some seasons where we could limp in 4th spot and proclaim "yay, extended the streak."

I think what burns from a Cats' fan perspective, is the puzzlement and lack of information from management. Cat's fans are not accustomed to that.
This is the team that dumped JJ after 3 games, ostensibly to get somebody who was a better fit. ie a team that appeared willing to make the hard calls to keep the 'ship hopes alive.
That was just a fiasco, the explanations were dubious, and now we just seem to be rolling along.
The Cats said they would "look everywhere" for a Damo replacement. So what happened to that??

Also, its not so much a question of "blaming the imports," but they are the hired guns brought in to plug the gaps, and they just are not good fits.
How many of our players would be sort as a starter by other teams?
Martin (missing with an LTI and not an offensive player) and Knight (also injury prone, and known to tire as the season drags). And of the imports only Prather. The rest are good role players, including our other two imports. If we had say somebody like Lisch to start in the 2 spot, we'd be stoked to get an import like JJ coming off the bench. Similarly with McKay.
Put it another way, if they both quit tomorrow and went home to the USA, would we look for identical players to replace them? Hell no.
I still think they're improving, and having Damo back will make all the difference because of how we use JJ, but I just worry it won't be enough.

Reply #613221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fact I prefer Johnson and McKay over just about every other teams second and third. Yes they could be more consistent but their talent is superior for mine

Reply #613222 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yes i agree and that is my point exactly. They have import spots where they can make changes because of injuries. Martin and knight are never going to shoot the lights out. They aren't those type of players. Prather isn't a perimeter threat either which means Johnson is the wrong player for this team. Gleeson knows that and it appears he is unable to make that call.

Reply #613223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here we go again. "If we had lisch..." "if we had ware..." yeah no shit guys if you add the best players in the league to our roster we become better.

There are constraints though this is not dream team or fantasy basketball. The league is bloody tight and having such an important player like Martin missing may well be the difference.

Reply #613224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol you called them two bargain bin imports now you're trying to change your story into saying it's about fit. The ironic thing is whilst everyone wants to blame Johnson he's actually had a very solid past three games.

Reply #613226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol Johnson was 4/7 from 3pt today. Weird that you would bring up that he isn't good enough from the perimeter after today. He's shown on several occasions that he's above average from 3

Reply #613228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just slowly confirming something I predicted on these forums after they'd played about 2 or 3 road games- they won't win too many away from Perth Arena this season."

Did you predict Damian Martin going down Nostradamus?

Because their record at Perth arena hasn't been great either since he went down.

I'd say your accurate prediction is more to do with luck of damo going down than any genius on your part Mr daylight

Reply #613229 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wonder what the situation with Ben Woodside's foot is? If he's not going to be back soon I'd write him off if I was the Breakers and bring in two new import guards while they have a two week break.
What do you think Stockton is?

They'd better not be pinning their hopes on Martin changing their finals fortunes. Yes his impact is immeasurable but he's missed half the season and we dont know what standard he can get back to playing.
He's also only going to play two or three more games. The Wildcats will be out of contention by the time he gets back.

The criticism of McKay is unwarrranted, he's one of the best players in the league. Johnson needs to go for a combo guard though. Which we've known since pre-season.

Reply #613230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay one of the best players in the league?? Wrong Kobe, your slipping as much as the cats these days. Please rebut away. Perhps start with defining to us what you consider one of the best players in the league entails. The floor is yours...

Reply #613233 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

https://pickandroll.com.au/not-all-doom-and-gloom-in-fact-perth-could-be-better-without-knight/

Jameel's 125.3 ORTG is top 5, 103.8 DRTG is top 6 and he has a +21.4 net rating, which places 4th overall amongst ALL players. He leads the league in offensive rebounding percentage, blocks per game and blocks percentage. He is top 10 in a number of categories.

As a club overall, Perth has been outscored and is utterly average: a 107.2 ORTG and 107.8 DRTG, indicative of a 6-6 record to date.

Simply put, Perth is quite clearly a much better team, offensively and defensively, with Jameel on the court.

Reply #613234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you think he is a game changer? I look at those stats and think, ok someone has to grabs boards etc etc for them no matter how shit they are, every team has stats to accumulate. I define a star or one of the best players in the league as a guy who can be a game changer And you fear going up against. He is not that. Do you think teams and fan bases fear his presence on the court....

Reply #613235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And please a definition thanks of what you think a player who is one of the best in the league means.

Reply #613236 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's top five in at least four statistical categories, leading three of them. Top ten in a number of others.

Not really sure what more you could want from the guy, but he's not going for 20 a night so he's garbage apparently.

Reply #613240 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anon #229 stop using Damo as an excuse! The Breakers were missing Webster last night. In fact Perth's only road win was against a United team missing Goulding.

You make it sound like Perth are the only team with a friggin injury! smh.

Reply #613251 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What do you think Stockton is?"

Not up to it, hence the two new import guards.

Reply #613255 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Imports aren't the problem, it's the Aussies... There's been a pretty big surge in local talent this year on a couple of teams, but Perth have declined in that category with the loss of Jervis and Jawai.

Reply #613258 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

^^^^ Exactly why they needed to make a change with their imports.

Comparing statistics with other imports in the league is apples and oranges. Import role players is fine depending on what aussie talent you already have there. Johnson and mackay are good players but not what the cats need right now.

Reply #613262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure 57 is a new all time low score for Perth. Last I can find was 67 in 2006. Anyone else confirm?

Reply #613263 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The salary cap punishes teams that have multiple 'star' imports as they cannot count as marquee players. Then there is a penalty tax. I am guessing what you are suggesting is not financially viable. Perth might be a rich and successful club, but has not become so by throwing away good money after bad.

Perth's sustained success has been generated from holding together a core of Aussies (and naturalised imports) and keeping that core together from year to year.

This year, that strategy has hit a couple of major stumbling blocks - aging and injured personnel (Redhage, Martin, Knight) and the next generation not quite kicking on to stardom.

I am not sure that upgrading essentially competent imports is the way to go. Name a team that has EVER been championship material based solely on the quality of its imports. I think you are ignoring the elephant in the room - you cannot win without a great contingent of local players.

Reply #613264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports can make a difference. Randall is case in point. Take him out of Adelaide they wouldn't be where they are.

Reply #613265 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Yes, isn't that what Prather is doing for Perth?

Reply #613268 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The issue is they replaced Beal with a different type of player in Johnson and now are struggling to cover Martin's injury, whereas in previous seasons Beal covered some of the load when Damo went down.

Reply #613270 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Anon, the all time low score for the cats was 52 way back in 1982

Reply #613271 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

XY i agree with you totally. But johnson is a similar type of player to prather. A good SG would make a big difference to this side and still for around the same budget

Reply #613273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, I never said he was crap. He is a hustle player and gives some energy. But no other team is scared to take him on he isn't the definition of one of the best players in the league. He is simply hustling on a horrible team and get stats, you don't need to score 20 to be a star but the other things he is doing, although putting him in top 10s, isn't winning games. Think you have jumped on the McKay bandwagon a little to strong. Good complementary import not great and no lock to be asked back for another season. Such things would suggest he is not one of the best in the league. Simply a hustle guy on a bad team.

Reply #613276 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Pretty sure 57 is a new all time low score for Perth. Last I can find was 67 in 2006. Anyone else confirm?"

Apparently that was only the second-worst, with the worst being 54 @ Nunawading in 1982

Reply #613278 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh, and our next-worst score was 58, which was just 12 months ago against the mighty Townsville Crocs in this game
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/38710-crocs-vs-wildcats-december-19/

Reply #613279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah lv Webster has been playing really well.

And I was more picking on you giving yourself a pat on the back for being "proven right" about Perth being no good on the road. As you know yourself with Melbourne they are a different kettle of fish without goulding. So unless you called Martin getting injured I'd say you're conveniently using circumstances to substantiate your predictive ability

Reply #613280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol the rules allow you to spend more on Aussies than imports due to the local marquee allowances. Easy to say oh well Martin and knight are injury prone let's go spend a bucket load on three superstar imports but do you think Martin and knight are cheap? They'd be getting paid as elite Aussies which they've been most of their career but they're on the wrong side of 30 now and breaking down.

Reply #613281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz - cats fans haven't had lack of information from management. We'be been given the same we've always gotten.

It's just clear from fans perspective that the team is unbalanced.

It's also clear that Brandt isn't filling the massive hole left by Jervis and Jawai.

Cat's have a skilled roster. It's just not being uses in its most effective manner.

Reply #613283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul makes a good point without the ball handling of beal when Martin goes down we're forced to play Kenny huge minutes and play bums like wroe and Bragg who are not up to NBL standard.

Then you have prather carrying too much of a workload

Reply #613284 | Report this post

Not ROFL copter  
Years ago

There is a lot less leeway when your coach is a flog. It makes your team more reliant on individual talent. Melbourne can overcome it better because they have multiple dangerous individuals. Perth doesn't have that so they need a good system but instead they got a whiny flog running the show.

Reply #613285 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

The Wildcats elected to remain with their steady core of Martin, Hire, Wagstaff, Redhage and Knight.
Which is perfectly fine, but there comes a time where it eventually runs out of steam as a collective.
Wildcats really needed to make some hard decisions and advise Redhage he's time was done and probably needed to seek a better fit than Hire.

But they stuck with loyalty, again, which is fine. But you can't be surprised when the formula is eventually superseded by other team and your success on the court begins to regress.

Reply #613286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^that said, Wagstaff has been the worse of the core this season. And Redhage as anecdotally been better and more reliable in patches.

I thought the core was ageing and past its prime last season, but was proven wrong.

Reply #613287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire is shit. Hire is starting. Explain???

Wagstaff is an average player having a shit season. Wagstaff is starting. Explain???

Kenny is an average player being forced to start due to an injury. That's the one shitty starter that makes any sense at all.

Reply #613289 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Everyone could see how horrible that game was, so I don't understand how both these teams were able to compete with the "flying" 36ers in the last 2 weeks.

Reply #613290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because NZ are the new team to beat now.

Reply #613292 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Greg Hire is the Alex Loughton of the Wildcats team, minus the Hulk-RAWWWRR!! celebration that AL does when he finally hits a 3 for the first time in a month or two.

Reply #613293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have looked at old media guides I have and none mention the 1982 season at all. Is this info on the web somewhere? NBLstats is long gone :(

Reply #613296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking at an old (2000) media guide that lists Perths all time low team points
54 29/5/82 at South East Melbourne (who were not a team in 82 so I guess that was actually Nunuwading?)
62 13/3/82 vs Southern Melbourne (who also were not a team in 82 so I guess that was actually St Kilda?)

Reply #613300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

54 is it...it seems, yet when you look in the collective low scores that 54 doesn't appear in the 1999/2000 NBL media guide. If you look in the NBL teams records, that 54 number isn't there. Equally I looked in the 1990 media guide and it's not mentioned either.

Reply #613303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perth's issues really come down to two failed gambles in their recruiting of Jawai and Jervis. That is a big gap to fill. Jervis was a very reliable performer, and a genuine big body for NBL standards.

This kind of issue has scuttled other teams before. Perth fans are used to generally more reliable recruitment.

I doubt the same decisions would have been made if these two were not expected to return.

Martin's injury exposes a long standing weakness in Perth's point guard position. IMO, they are over reliant on him. I have always thought they should have a combo guard option to complement him.

McKay is not able to provide a reliable first option in offense, where he can receive the ball and create for himself. He is too small and ball handling insufficient to go to work against front court defenders, and has a poor jump shot. He works well on second opportunities.

Johnson has been a bit hot or cold in this regard too, and also has questionable ball handling. I think this is a little concerning, given his SF style of play.

Neither has reliable go to moves. IMO, they both require suitable systems in which to thrive. I really like that McKay always works hard, and contributes, but Perth need offensive options and a play maker.

Without an effective play maker, or reliable low post targets, they are left with Prather to carry the team. I think it is also unreasonable to expect him to become a play maker. A true point guard role is really a different calling.

Reply #613305 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Here's the box score for the Nunawading game.

The 1995 media guide lists the lowest score as 67 in 1984.

Reply #613308 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anon #280 you can only use Damo's injury as an excuse if other teams are at full strength or don't have comparable injuries. NZ did have a comparable injury last night. Webster hasn't been shooting well but teams are aware f he can catch alight at any moment. His potential to go off and drop 25 is greater than 90% of the NBL, hence his presence creates fear and attracts defensive attention despite his form.

United had Goulding, Blanchfield and Barlow missing all at once! Apples and oranges compared to the Cats missing one player last night.

Reply #613333 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Here we go again. "If we had lisch..." "if we had ware..."
You need to improve your English Comprehension.
I am simply illustrating the point that JJ is great coming off the bench (in fact he could probably start in the 3 spot) but for that to be desirable we need somebody better as a starter.

Reply #613349 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bol the rules allow you to spend more on Aussies than imports due to the local marquee allowances.
1) It doesn't allow you to spend more, it only lessens the impact of the super-tax.
2) The wildcats can only have one local Marquee, because they are using 3 imports.
3) There is a very limited number of potential Marquee Australians. The guys the NBL did get were either already back in Aus, on on the fringes in Europe. Even if an NBL teams could match what a Brock Motum is earning in Europe, he's not going to give up a Euro career.
In contrast, there is a comparatively large field of potential imports out there.
MU made a hard call on Jackson, brought in Ware, and look at them now.

Reply #613359 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Compare Johnson and McKay to other teams second and third imports if you want to be fair. There's not much difference.
Sigh...
1) The difference, is that unlike the other major contenders, Perth didn't go out and get Aussie (or NZ) Marquees. In fact the one they had, they let go.
Sydney signed so many they barely need to bother with imports.

So sure, I'd take McKay & JJ over say Devin Williams & Moore, But if MU didn't have Goudling and Andersen they probably would have gone for better imports.

2) Also, what we're mostly saying, is that our guys, especially JJ are good, but not a good fit.
Had we say lost Prather to the NBA, but kept Beal, I'd be stoked to have JJ starting at SF. If we'd kept Jawai, and signed McKay to replace Jervis, I'd be like a pig in shit. Frankly even if we had a half-decent local SG or combo to start in the 2, we'd be doing a lot better.

3) Lastly, so what if our 3rd import is better than somebody else's???
Are you saying that means there are no better American players available???
Nick Marvin made the publicly stated choice to go after imports rather than Australians, because they were easier and cheaper.

Reply #613369 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz - cats fans haven't had lack of information from management. We'be been given the same we've always gotten.
I feel the difference is that in the past we had a clear feeling for the direction the Cats were going. We obviously weren't given intimate details, but we understood the decisions.
Even if it was just presumptions, they panned out.
When they didn't re-sign Jawai, we assumed they would get a better import. When they let Beal go, we assumed they were getting someone better. Same when they dumped JJ after 3 games.

Reply #613373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Vlahov was on ten news tonight (see the replay on tenplaY) highlighting how past players are also affected by poor management decisions. They don't want to see the effort they put in years ago blown away by incompetent recruiting, coaching and overall poor management.

Wildcats management I think have been misled by their own hype "we play wildcats basketball". You saw that effort in this game. We won in the past as we had amongst the most talented team - we are far from it now.

What i am concerned is where is the owner Bendat in this whole scenario ? As an owner he couldn't be happy.

Reply #613421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No clearly 30 seasons of finals appearances is piss poor.

Reply #613424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cats don't have an unlimited budget. It's not like Martin and Knight who were recently re-signed, would be on chump change and the Cats can afford to bring in multiple superstar imports.

Prather is top shelf, and Johnson and McKay are more than handy talents.

You saw what our market was when we initially de-activated Johnson, we got a D-League lifer who only had one skill. Sure, Melbourne was able to get Ware but only because they sacked their biggest name import, who was probably taking up a fair bit of coin.

Reply #613442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who was the chump that signed the D League lifer? Maybe they should be sacked.

Reply #613449 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Pretty ordinary basketball from both teams with Perth being absolutely horrendous before Prather put the team on his back and no better after he had cooled off a little.
I have no idea what is with Stockton. In transition he slows down to set up half court. He shoots as a last resort and he could not guard his grandmother driving the hoop.He must have been muzzled.
With Webster out I would have thought Stockton would assume more responsibility not less.
Shae Ili has disappointed, he's been given too much time and his decision making at the end of quarters is terrible.
I don't see us competing with the better teams at this stage. But we are still hanging around and no one is out of it, even Cairns who I think are one of the better teams.

Reply #613472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754