Isaac
Years ago

Kings lose CJ Bruton to Russia

Seems that CJ Bruton has discarded his 3 year deal with the Sydney Kings to sign with UNICS Kazan (Chris Anstey's old Russian team).

UNICS site

With CJs recent form with the Boomers this isn't surprising.

It does, however, weaken the Kings slightly.

Topic #4055 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

CJ you hack! is there not a clause in his 3 year deal that states no opt out clause for euro!

Good for CJ don't get me wrong but im sick to death of seeing good players leave overseas!!!

Reply #47143 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

He must be a gluten for punishment judging by Ansteys blog CJ is in for a rough ride.

Reply #47144 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It's all about the money!

Good for CJ - but don't think the experience will be all that good.

Reply #47151 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

it has got to be easier to replace an import than a high profile spot held by an aussie in the last 2 weeks b4 the season starts.

Reply #47155 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

How can people bag them for going where the $$$ are for 1 or 2 seasons. This setts their lives up after basketball. There playing time is short, so they need to make wise decisions. Why would you not go if you could earn the NBL's salary cap in 1 season OS(even if you dont enjoy it). Plus you get the chance to hop over to all the other euro countries and do some real sightseeing that you wouldnt get a chance to do on boomers tours etc as the timeframes are to short.
He will be back to finish his career.

Reply #47163 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Tell us something we dont know

Bradtke
Rogers
Catalini
Maher
Farley
Mee
Kym Taylor

all played os for the money. no one has bagged cj for going, just that the club he is going to has not got a great rep due to Anstey's experience with them.

Reply #47167 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Also does this mean we get to call CJ a UNIC when he returns?

Reply #47168 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kings list now has guards:

B.J. Carter
Jason Smith (Grd/Fwd)
Luke Martin
Brad Sheridan (Grd/Fwd)
David Barlow (Grd/Fwd)
Luke Kendall

Still plenty of talent but CJ was easily their best point. Martin & Kendall are still young and it will leave BJ with heaps of responsibility.

At this stage, couldn't see the Kings replacing CJ with anyone other than a rookie?

Reply #47172 | Report this post

Horatio  
Years ago

Unless you can think of an Aussie big man off contract.... I don't think CJ will be replaced. His points and salary will probably be kept in 'insurance' should one of the imports mess up, or there's a major injury. Kendall/Smith is still as good a backcourt as any in the NBL. Martin is a more than competant back up at point, and they've got a couple of players who can spend time backing up at the two. It's a massive blow for the Kings, but not a fatal one by any stretch.

Reply #47174 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Just checking the Kings website (no news), but noticed an article by Peter Kogey claiming David Anderson was on $25 million a year in Russia.

That has to be a joke, most wouldn't get that in the NBA.

http://www.sydneykings.com.au/zone/newsevents.asp?BL=kings

Reply #47175 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Anderson is on 2.5 million

Reply #47177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, there's a decimal point in there that you missed.

Reply #47198 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ummm yeah. Well, that's more like it. :-)

Well, if CJ is on anything like that, he is still getting more than double in one year than he would be in three at the Kings...

Reply #47199 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

CJ just said on radio he isn't going? I wish I knew - he's stuffing up my fantasy team with his yes/no act!

PS. If I could read Russian, I could decipher that damn website.

Reply #47243 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Sounds like from his interview that he has had discussions and has possibly agreed to a deal but maybe not finalised. I guess when someone won't comment on an issue it means something is going on!?!

Reply #47245 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone on OzHoops:

As I understand it:

* the Russian club (I think it's UNICS Kazan) is suddenly mad keen, and has extended CJ a lucrative 2 year offer;

* BUT CJ already had signed a 3 year contract with Kings, which does NOT have a European "out-clause"; and

Reply #47274 | Report this post

Frank  
Years ago

What did CJ say exactly? That the whole thing is bs from beginning to end, or just that he hasn't signed?

Reply #47277 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

2.5 Millon thats what two NBL teams Sallary Caps .. Right there .. More and More Quality Players will be Lost the NBL Money wise just cant Compete .... I gather the Rumours on this Forum about CJ and the NBA ... Were not On the Money ... All dose anyone have any Info and what Happend there

Reply #47288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's 3 NBL team salary caps.

Still the league was pretty good last year despite many players heading overseas. And a good number do come back -- Rogers, Harvey, Anstey all playing in Australia this year.

Reply #47296 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Won't matter to Sydney. Word is that a new rule is coming in just for them from the NBL. They can now replace CJ with 2 American imports with no salary cap restrictions. Does not apply to any other team.

Reply #47370 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Boti today mentioned that Goorj was spewing about the offer and has complained to basketball australia.

Might have been tongue-in-cheek, but I can't see what BA is going to do about it. Slap Unics on the wrist?

Contract or not, CJ is fair game to anyone willing to offer enough money (to pay out the Sydney contract, transfer fees, whatever). Pretty strange of Unics to put it on their website if CJ had not given some hint of his interest...

My theory is Goorj went with the 'If you go now, you can't come back and play on my team' spat. As Goorj is the national team coach... finish that thought for yourself!

Reply #47473 | Report this post

Horatio  
Years ago

It goes through BA because that's the formal path to the FIBA. Unics shouldn't be approaching a contracted player, and judging from the comments, I'm guessing recruiting isn't supposed to take place at International tournaments? They seem to have a problem with him being approached there, and indicating that that's not allowed. I'm not sure.

CJ is staying with the Kings this season. The Kings have said that with a week to go till seasons tip off, he can't be released. The compromise is, CJ will be released out of the last 2 years of his contract come the next off season, should he get another offer. Looking at it from the position of both parties, that's a pretty fair deal. If it were a month ago, I'd say they would have let CJ walk.

Reply #47483 | Report this post

C.J bruton  
Years ago

why did you go to russia

Reply #71490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sheridan is way better dont worry!!

Reply #71855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol not funny

Reply #83330 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Very disappointing to see CJ choose Brisbane over Sydney, if he returns to the NBL.
I feel Brisbane (again) are all show, CJ, you could have stuck with a great team, with the best coach in Australia.
I'll be hoping Sydney get the W when you come to town.

Reply #86603 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yeh but he probably feels like a dickhead playing in sydney coz he has a team of selfish wankers playing around him. Good on him i say.

Reply #86607 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754