Anonymous
Years ago

Are the Wildcats now the team to beat?

Just ended a losing streak with an away win and sacked import.

Wagstaff has found some form.

Team looks more balanced without JJ.

New messiah import on the way.

Dazz is positive.

Could 2017 be the cats year again?!

Topic #40580 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? no but I will saw when you add Damo and Cotton to this lineup they cab beat anyone.

Reply #615876 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Relax turbo, all good. Got Sydney next, if damo is back then would be nice to have damo backing up Kenny.

Reply #615877 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Huge win against an in-form Hawks.

With Damian and Cotton, this team is going to mow them down the straight.

Hasta la Vista Baby!

Reply #615878 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

ROFL

Can't draw much from one game, but its interesting that without JJ so many other guys stepped up.

Reply #615884 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I was at the Hawks/Perth game and i want to know why referee Hogan more often than not does the Hawks game.The Hawks blew that game but Hogan didn't help.I want to know why one of the better games of the round cops the two worse refs in Hogan and Townsend and i watch the two bottom sides in Cairns and Brisbane and one of the better refs in Vaughn Maybrey is doing that game.You don't see one of the top nrl games refeered by the lower ranked refs or the better nrl refs doing the shit games.

Reply #615903 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Just further proves that you can't predict anything this season. No way you'd bet on Perth winning that, given the circumstances.

Reply #615904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the team to beat, but i think they make the finals, Illawarra will miss out.

Reply #615907 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Aggressive defence has been their trademark and they seem to have rediscovered that.
Wagstaff was a star for them last night and if he can continue and there does not seem any reason for him not to, then the addition of a new import will only add to their cause. MacKay has found his niche, Martin to return. Prather is an all star, Brandt is holding his own inside.... The signs look good for them. They are as deep as anyone.
I think 36ers, United and Perth (only one game ) look the form teams going into the last third of the season.

Reply #615928 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

The big difference between recent losses and last nights result was Wagstaff having a big game.

He has been very poor in most games and as a result the Cats just haven't had enough contributors to get them over the line recently.

Only one game BUT... That win was huge in the scheme of things when you also consider a Cats loss would have given the split to the Hawks it was almost as good as two wins.

Going by what has happened so far this season there are still many unpredictable twists and turns to come.

Reply #615929 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I have always thought the key to stopping Perth is to keep Wagstaff quiet and Hawks didn't do that.Prather will always get his 20pts and Gleeson is starting to realise Kernich-Drew is a good player and with a good import on the way i'm changing my top 4 by putting Perth in and having Sydney missing.I wasn't impressed with Sydney in there game v Breakers who were severely depleted.

Reply #615932 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I only saw the game on replay today.
After burying some Wildcat players recently, I must confess Knight, Redhage and Wagstaff in particular just showed yours truly they are still very good players at the nbl level. Now how do we get those performances consistently? Great to see!

Against the hawks the team looked very sharp, in particular at the defensive end. Their rotations were crisp, sharp, early and aggressive throughout. Obviously credit to the coaching staff for a great defensive game plan (can't believe I have Gleeson a compliment) but the players played with a lot more energy in implementing th game plan.

Offensively they have improved their reads of the defense and have subsequently got more easy scores higher percEntage shots and more open looks. Great to see them shooting the open shot rather than turning it down and forcing a drive into a crowd of defenders. They forced the hawks into defensive rotations much more than the previous game and attacked those rotations.

Bravo!

Reply #616062 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Perf then daylight

Reply #616065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nahhhhh.

Reply #616129 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Depends on Bryce Cotton.

If he's another JJ, Perth miss the 4.

If he makes an impact like Casper has, we're probably looking at a United vs Perth Grand Final.

Reply #616131 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

It will be solely a question of chemistry once Bryce Cotton joins and has had 2-3 games to build his familiarity.
I think they will be just dandy as indicated by observing their offensive passing and shot selection in the most recent game. More "ice hockey" assists as some coaches call them.
The open man is getting the ball now.
This is the number one sign of an unselfish team and your don't win championships by being selfish. These guys do know what it takes to win the big one and I'm sure will embrace Cotton like did Ennis.
The time is now

Reply #616133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing is for sure, no one would want to face them if they start to get hot.

Reply #616141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Cotton definitely coming? Still no announcement.

Reply #616176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is definitely coming he was quoted in the local newspaper here yesterday saying how he was excited to be joining the team and how he had only had a short break from his stint in Turkey so would be ready to go.

Reply #616181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHIch local paper?? Got a link.

When you are an anon. No one knows we're your "local" is.

So be more specific

Reply #616182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think he meant anything other than a Perth paper then you must be quite stupid.

Reply #616183 | Report this post

Perf Anonynous  
Years ago

Is that better, Petal?

Reply #616188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was no such quote in the paper. These anons making up more and more stuff as the year goes on. Just like the guy who keeps saying the NBL will make a statement on the JJ release

Reply #616192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was an article in Saturdays West Australian its not online I don't know how to post a pic of it in here.

Reply #616200 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth may have a really good shot at the championship.....if they make the top 4.

The league is so close this year and the final couple of spots are likely to be decided with series wins.

Vs Cairns +10 points Perth lead series 1-0
Vs NZ - NZ has won the series
Vs Hawks - Perth won the series
Vs United - Perth + 6 Perth lead the series 2-0
Vs 36ers - 36ers +7 36ers lead the series 2-1
Vs Kings - Perth +2 Series tied 1-1
Vs Bullets - Bullets have won the series

Perth really need to beat 36ers by 8 points, beat United once more and beat the Kings by a decent margin to give themselves the Series against those teams. They will also have to hope that Bullets and NZ don't finish level on the ladder with Perth or they will bump them down.

Reply #616202 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There was no such quote in the paper. These anons making up more and more stuff as the year goes on.
Well you'd look like a right twit if someone managed to produce proof of the article's existence, wouldn't you?

Click for full-size.

Reply #616208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that koberulz!

Reply #616212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hi koberulz,

Can I request for the article to be re-scanned so that we can read the last column? Or if it's easier, if the text can be typed out in this thread?

Would really appreciate it and thanks for the scan!

Reply #616213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he arrived yet?

Reply #616214 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Can I request for the article to be re-scanned so that we can read the last column? Or if it's easier, if the text can be typed out in this thread?
"I'd be more than happy to be a part of the process to help us get back on the winning track."
The Wildcats are hoping Cotton will deliver the scoring punch they so desperately need.
"I like to play with high speed and basically just using my speed and quickness to my advantage to do everything I can to help the winning environment around my team," he said.
"I give 110 per cent at both ends of the floor.
"I'd like to think I can help out in that (scoring) area as well.
"I'm more than confident that I'd be able to do whatever they need out on the floor."
Cotton said it would be nice if his time in Perth helped boost his NBA prospects back home.

Has he arrived yet?
Per the Wildcats Twitter account just now, he hasn't signed yet.

Reply #616219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Per the Wildcats Twitter account just now, he hasn't signed yet."

Hmm, so was the news reporter jumping the gun? Or is it just a matter of course. Given the way Bryce speaks in that article, it sounds like a done deal.

Reply #616221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like that he plans to use both his speed and his quickness to his advantage. Too often it seems players use only one or the other.
Giving 110% sounds promising also. Johnson only ever seemed to give 100% at the most.

Reply #616223 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #616391 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No.

Reply #619003 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Adelaide beat us. Cairns beat us. So yep, right now we're the team to beat.

Reply #619012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754