Aussie
Years ago

Harry Froling and Tom Wilson?

Wilson has committed to Boise State (good move in my opinion) not sure where Froling is going.

From what I understand, both won't be eligible to play College ball until the half way mark of next season of NCAA competition. Have I got this right?

If so, that is a very long time to not be playing basketball.

I would like to see Wilson join Melbourne United as a DP. Training every day against Ware and Goulding, would surely keep him sharp.

Perhaps Froling could join the Taipans as a DP. Training against Jawaii and Loughton would keep him in game shape.

Harry has said he wants to "work his arse off" to improve his body, IE build some muscle (he certainly needs too) and improve his athleticism.

Sitting out and not playing for over a year, surely would be a huge detriment to the development of both of these talented young players.

Thoughts?

Topic #40634 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Yep halfway next season. Froling marquette

Reply #617369 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

NCAA discourages players transferring to Div1 colleges by imposing a "Year in residence" at the new College. So both will have to spend a calendar year at their new college without competing. They can train and get financial aid but no competitions (redshirt).
They also cant compete anywhere else so they could not play for NBL and then go back to College (having already commenced College) and additionally they need to keep completing their degrees so cannot spend a spend a semester back in Australia and maintain their "progress towards degree" requirements. Their new college coaches will only want them on campus and training with their teams.

The rules are there to maintain fair competitions and an academic focus.

Players know that if they transfer they will have to sit out for a year.

Reply #617554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDowel White is back in Australia with the thought of going back to college, so if what you say is right, he seems to be trying to do it.

Reply #617560 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

WMDW is a bit different because (I believe ie not 100% sure) that he didn't start college and so he can play with a professional team. As soon as fulltime college occurs then the rules are different. He however needs to be careful about playing competition more than one year after graduating high school as this will attract a redshirt year too. I'm not sure when he graduated - in Aust or the US. If he graduated in Aust in Dec 15 then he cannot play any competition without losing a season of competition and having to redshirt (I think Bolden and Gak both got caught by this)

Reply #617562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok thanks, WMDW might get caught out to then to because he spent 2016 in US.

Reply #617564 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

WMDW won't be at college ever again.
You think he's studying all year to get grades up?

Reply #617672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754