J
Years ago

Charge or Block

I thought it would be interesting to explore everyones understanding of the charge and block.

It was best explained to me somewhat like the following:

Speed, time, distance.

The defender needs to allow the offensive player enough time and distance, considering the offensive players speed to allow the offensive player to go around them.

In other words as a defender you need to make sure you are in position early enough that the offensive player can choose to go around you not through you.

I feel far too often that the defence is simply throwing their chest in front of the offensive player and getting charge calls. ( I'm a cats member I see the art perfected regularly) However I have also seen Prather and Ennis some of the most athletic players the league has seen get called for charges when attemting to drive past their defender, something that when you consider the above conditions seems impossible.

A few finer points, any contact not in the centre of the cylinder (chest) should be a no call, the defence gave the offence enough time to go around and the offence chose not to run through him.

I feel feet really need to be on the ground, the only time this doesn't apply is if the defence is moving straight backwards, something we rarely see. Coming in from the side, even at a 45, it is most likely a block.

Lastly the one that drives me crazy, the defender sliding in when a player is in the air or on his second and final step (in real speed basically in the air) to draw a charge, you can't move under a player in the air, we all want to see dunks, don't encourage this.

Long post I know, be interesting to see how much all our interpretations differ

Topic #40740 | Report this topic

FM  
Years ago

Speed and distance don't apply to someone who has the ball. The player with the ball must expect to be guarded at all angles regardless if they have seen them or not.

Feet first and facing. Once established then lateral or backwards movements to the direction of the ball, keeps the defender legal. Easy way is to referee the defence, ignore what the offence is doing except for the exact time they leave the ground. Probably makes those 50/50 more 70/30

Reply #621044 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Probably still the most contentious call in basketball!

It is a little like the holding the ball or in the back rule in football, although this has had rule changes recently it is still very much up to interpretation by the officials themselves.

Generally speaking I like the offence not rewarded when they are causing the contact or out of control and the defense penalised when their hands are in or they are moving their feet, but I think the rules are clear, it is usuallys the interpretation that differs...

Reply #621045 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Charge/block has been made incredibly tough in Australia because we generally haven't called it like the rest of the world.

In putting less onus on a defender to establish legal position before taking a charge, we have developed a culture of players throwing themselves in front of the ball-handler and going to ground, which doesn't happen nearly as much elsewhere.

For a while this season the refs started calling it as per the international game, which was great, but it seems in the past month it's gone back to a default charge if a defender flies backwards.

Reply #621050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether its a charge or a block depends on how the NBL referee feels at any given moment regardless of what actually happened.

Reply #621051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Drmic took a charge at some point in their recent game that I thought was pretty questionable. He got position a fraction of a second before contact - there would've been no time for the offensive player to adjust.

Just not sure what it achieves for the game. We want to see defenders getting steals and blocks, or changing shots, not succeeding through simply getting in the way at the last second.

Reply #621054 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Very good summary paul. Our refs encourage flopping, which generally gets worse as you go down through the levels...

Doesn't really encourage people to defend properly when they see Goulding and Sobey getting calls when they defend with the actual purpose of getting a charge called.

Reply #621055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree 100% with Paul and spot up, the attacking player can't change direction when they are in the air. Some times no calls are the best just play on.

Reply #621064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So most would agree we have far too many charges called.

Reply #621088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember too that if the offensive player "charges" into a defensive player who is going backwards in the same way, then that's a charge. Most refs will call a block on the D.

Reply #621103 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The other thing that I've noticed recently is they will call you for "dropping the shoulder" whenever a ballhandler bends their knees and runs in a lower, slightly more horizontal position, even if contact is minimal or non-existant, or most annoyingly: when the ballhandler is faster than the defender and beats them to the spot by a mile.

Because ballhandling isn't something that Aussies generally do at a very high level, our refs aren't used to the full range of body positions that great ballhandlers contort themselves into: getting down very low to cross over or decelerate or accelerate past someone, getting down low to squeeze through a gap, etc.

We encourage flopping at all levels of the game here, and have done since the early to mid 2000s.

Reply #621116 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Can anyone quote the FIBA rules? That's what we're supposed to be bound by, isn't it? I would have a look, but I'm time poor this arvo.

Reply #621121 | Report this post

NBL Ref  
Years ago

Clearly a charge

Reply #621130 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I thought it would be interesting to explore everyones understanding of the charge and block.
It was best explained to me somewhat like the following:
Speed, time, distance.

Can anyone quote the FIBA rules? That's what we're supposed to be bound by, isn't it?

33.4. Guarding a player who controls the ball When guarding a player who controls (holding or dribbling) the ball, the elements of time and distance do not apply. The player with the ball must expect to be guarded and must be prepared to stop or change his direction whenever an opponent takes an initial legal guarding position in front of him, even if this is done within a fraction of a second. The guarding (defensive) player must establish an initial legal guarding position without causing contact before taking his position. Once the defensive player has established an initial legal guarding position, he may move to guard his opponent, but he may not extend his arms, shoulders, hips or legs to prevent the dribbler from passing by him. When judging a charge/block situation involving a player with the ball, an official shall use the following principles: • The defensive player must establish an initial legal guarding position by facing the player with the ball and having both feet on the floor. • The defensive player may remain stationary, jump vertically, move laterally or backwards in order to maintain the initial legal guarding position. • When moving to maintain the initial legal guarding position, one foot or both feet may be off the floor for an instant, as long as the movement is lateral or backwards, but not towards the player with the ball. • Contact must occur on the torso, in which case the defensive player would be considered as having been at the place of contact first. • Having established a legal guarding position the defensive player may turn within his cylinder to avoid injury. In any of the above situations, the contact shall be considered as having been caused by the player with the ball.

Reply #621133 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What gets me about many of the charge calls, is the requirement to establish a legal guarding position.
I feel that in many cases, that never actually happens, the player remains in continuous motion and never establishes position.

Reply #621134 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We encourage flopping at all levels of the game here, and have done since the early to mid 2000s."

Mick, it was pretty rife in the mid-late 80s when I started following the NBL.

Reply #621146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Whittington charge call on Te rangi today was a horrible call, Te rangi was not there, to many calls like this all year.

Reply #621183 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Interesting to see that explanation from the FIBA rules. Not the way I was trained, having said that in my experience allowing for speed time and distance means that the defensive player is in an initial legal guarding position. Even though an initial legal guarding position seems to be a bit vague. I think most of us agree that knight or wagstaff flinging their chest in front of a faster opponent with a foot of the ground , despite seemingly ok by the aforementioned rules is not what we think a charge should be

Reply #621196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754