Dazz
Years ago

Should the NBL Mike-up the Refs?

In this modern age, do we really need all the signalling theatrics? Yes they're part on the game, and it adds to the theatre, nut that's not necessarily a good thing.
Frankly I feel that anything that makes the ref the centre of attention is not always good. And I wonder if sometimes they are just making shit up?

Try these signals from last night:
1) Hands clenched in front of hips, with thumbs up, and waggles thumbs in and out.
2) Hand cupped in front of mouth, forearm near vertical, and pivot forearm downwards. (I thought maybe he was trying to signal a vomit?)

I don't want to say "yay, follow the AFL" but it does help the fans. (Albeit at an AFL game, you need to have an app or radio, tuned to the correct coverage.) When there's a wtf moment, and the umpire then explains "johnny you moved off the line."

Or maybe we just need a better announcer??
I LOVE Lachie, but sometimes when something weird has happened and we're all scratching our heads, all he's interested in is making everyone stand up and yell de-fence.

It might also limit coaches (yes like Trev) whinging so much, if fans could hear the refs saying "Trevor, I have already explained my call 3 times, it's not going to change, can we please get one with the game."

Just a thought, what do people think?

Topic #40759 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are mic'd up clown

Reply #621534 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Don't you sit courtside? If you weren't too busy analysing every minute detail or every movement you might be able to hear them and some of the banter.

Reply #621535 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

No thanks.There deciding games by the shit calls they come up with already cause they want to put there head on camera.The only two refs worth listening to that are decent refs are Maubrey and Aylan.The rest are cheats that bet on games.Why was the best ref in Aylan doing the Cairns v Brisbane game and the worst ref in Chris Reed doing Hawks v Adelaide which was 1st v 2nd.Wtf do the nbl think about.I think they were trying to screw the Hawks so they don't get two home finals in the first week cause the other teams draw bigger crowds =more money for nbl.

Reply #621541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously Dazz you start a topic about giving the refs mics and you don't know they are already. That is the most idiotic of posts ever. Dumb Arse Topic started of the 2017.
Next thing you will ask for the coaches to have numbers and words for plays. Oh wait, you said that already.

Reply #621542 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, yeah, rather than attempt to make even a semi-intelligent comment, lest all bash Dazz. Fuckwits

Don't you sit courtside? If you weren't too busy analysing every minute detail or every movement you might be able to hear them and some of the banter.
And you think my posts are stupid?

Since I don't take a fucking telescope to the games, I have never seen a mike on a Ref. More to the POINT, I have never HEARD one.
I watch the away games on NBL TV, and watch a few other games as well, and sometimes just the highlights. I can recall a couple of Refs being miked up, but not often.

So, umm, since you guys can't seem to figure this out for yourselves, I'll spell it out.
If they are miked sometimes, should they be miked all the time.
If they are miked all the time, should the fans actually be allowed to hear them?
ie by broadcasting over the PA?

Reply #621546 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No thanks.There deciding games by the shit calls they come up with already cause they want to put there head on camera.The only two refs worth listening to that are decent refs are Maubrey and Aylan.
OMG, somebody who is both not an anonytroll, and actually engaged their brain to reply.
I'm not sure Hoops can handle this?
Crikey, next thing you know we'll be talking about basketball.

I take your point, I agree that anything which encourages refs to view themselves as the centre of attention, is bad for the game.
What I wonder is whether this would make them more self-conscious and perhaps actually improve their conduct? Or at the very lest improve their communication?

Reply #621547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz is the only venue refs do not wear microphones. So what 14 out of 179 (guess) games the refs dont wear mic's. You clearly dont "listen" very well to the games you do watch on tv

Reply #621549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I swear in New Zealand all they do is put a webcam on the roof for their TV coverage

Reply #621554 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I think Dazz is suggesting they verbalise the call and allow the spectators to hear it rather than work out what the refs are signalling.

It's unnecessary Dazz. The umpires would be better served doing two things:
1. Not calling random confounding rubbish off ball (the C pushing the tiny PG when there is a mismatch in the post is my fav bail out atm)

2. Actually signal the correct signal for where the contact occurred, nothing worse than signalling a chop when the contact was on the body.

3. (felt I could add a bonus here) Call less and let them play, the less they call the less likely they make a meal of it, and the more consistent it will be.
We will likely see better basketball even if it is a bit "rougher", players will begin to prepare for the contact and stop flopping because they know they are fair game and won't get bailed out or gifted a soft and one. You don't flop if the ref let's you get dunked and landed on (i am envisioning Nate atm)

Reply #621575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they should not broadcast the refs over the PA.

Reply #621580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Yet another inane topic started by the inane Dazzed.

Reply #621582 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

No! No mics on PA. The hand signals [assuming the officials stick to the standard ones and don't make up their own] are universal and so can be understood by anyone, whatever language they speak, whether player or spectator.

And the signals can be found by anyone interested in educating themselves about the game - or that aspect of it, anyway.

As for the court-side announcer explaining what is going on ... I am no fan of Adelaide's 'presentation', but to be fair to the announcer it is often extremely difficult to pick what is going on from that ridiculous baseline position he now has to operate from. When he was on the side line beside the score bench he could see the on-court officials' signals to the bench and sometimes hear what was said. From side on it is often damn near impossible to work out what is happening.

Reply #621655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if the refs had mics they could communicate to the bench directly. No need then for those funny signals that Dazzed knows nothing about.

Reply #621686 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754