Gleeson demands fire from his Perth Wildcats bench
Link

We want titles, not play-off records, say hot-and-cold Wildcats
Link

Topic #40807 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

This is an interesting one.

Perth Arena hasn't been the happy hunting ground that you might expect this season.

A 9-4 record looks good, but take a closer look and you'll see numerous games won in Overtime or on the final possession. The Cats haven't been putting teams away in the daunting red and blue furnace like they historically do with regularity.

Lisch might bring some of his best work and cause the upset.

Reply #623220 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Assuming Knight plays, and no other injuries, Cats should win. But it will be close, and Cats need to be near their best, Sydney will not be a pushover.

As long as Perth can keep it close, I'll back Gleeson over Drewie.

Reply #623225 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Gleeson and are few players playing for there jobs, can't pick this one, depending on which team rocks up gets the chocolates!

United get in, then they will do a lot of damage!

Reply #623235 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

The season ends here if Perth lose.

All the guys will lose salaries for next year if they don't win. And they know it.

I think it will be a different level the Cats would play at. Sydney and Gaze are likely to fight too but it is a hard thing to do in the Jungle.

Reply #623297 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

End of the day, the Cats have two winnable games. Do that, and they are guaranteed a spot in the finals. So that's what they need to aim for.

And lets face it, if they can't beat Sydney in Perth for their first game, why bother about the the 2nd game in Melbourne?

They have won some close games this season, and choked in others. Time for the "tough to get going."

Reply #623320 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

IMO the only way we drop this game is if this thread reaches 200+ posts with at least 150 mentioning ref/refs/reffing.
If it's a fair 8-on-5 fight then we'll be ok.

Reply #623321 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Let's hope Cotton is not manhandled too much otherwise word has it he will return home and no further decent imports will ever grace our shores again. To address this potential disaster the NBL has decreed a three meter exclusion zone around Cotton.

In the interest of referees calling Perth players out of bounds when "not even close" the refs have been instructed that and out of bounds violation that could result in possession being awarded to the Kings will not be called unless the ball leaves the arena completely.

As long as these instructions are followed Perth may have a shot at the wins but sadly Luuuc the thread will fall short of your targets.

Reply #623322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each ref has been asked to choose a player to look after for home cooking. Mayberry was going to choose first but Brett Hogan told everyone he was picking Cotton.

Reply #623323 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

haha ... you were really determined to get there no matter what and I respect that

Reply #623324 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Gleeson was harping on about the bench not living up to expectations but the pressure is on Prather and McKay to produce this weekend. I hope Casey has been working on those FT's this week.

Reply #623325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I get that his explosiveness is down and it's really affecting his finishing at the rim (which used to be world class but is currently mediocre), but I don't get why his free throws have gone from money (> 80% last season, > 83% for most of this season) to 59% over the last month or so.

Reply #623330 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There's obviously something up with Prather.
Some have said it's a leg or ankle injury, but that doesn't explain his poor shooting, especially from the stripe.
On the plus side, he usually does better in Perth.

Reply #623334 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, because legs have nothing to do with shooting.

Reply #623337 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gleeson said "trust your technique".

Does he trust his own technique to get his team to perform?

Reply #623344 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So with the refs being how they've been recently, is anyone taking any money on Gleeson getting thrown out before the end of the season? Not this game as everyone will probably play better, but still, would be nice to see at some point...

As for predictions for the game, the only one I'm confident making, other than Kings losing is that previously dormant skills in at least 2 Wildcats players will be revitalised...

Reply #623347 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I said Koberwizzer, "especially from the stripe"
I can't imagine imagine a leg injury that allows him to play unhindered, yet is so bad it impacts his shooting from the stripe.

Reply #623349 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Thank goodness FTSOS!!!! They have been very premature on the out of bounds in perth.

Reply #623350 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So with the refs being how they've been recently, is anyone taking any money on Gleeson getting thrown out before the end of the season?
Gleeson flaps his arms a lot, and has been teched before, but generally he's smart enough to back away (with his trademarked "I've been horribly wronged" face) when the ref approaches.

Ironically, I think when he does get teched, its an actual mistake on his part, like walking onto the floor. His theatrics, arm waving, and serial whinging seem to be tolerated.

Reply #623351 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As I said Koberwizzer, "especially from the stripe"
I can't imagine imagine a leg injury that allows him to play unhindered, yet is so bad it impacts his shooting from the stripe.
Why do you think the location of the shot alters the importance of legs?

Reply #623352 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Why do you think the location of the shot alters the importance of legs?'

I don't know about you, but I need to use much more lift out my legs launching a three than attempting a short range shot

Reply #623358 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Prather at the moment is playing like he has no interest, especially when cotton arrived it's gone down hill. Compared to last season he is a shadow of himself. Needs a huge game going against newly.

Reply #623365 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

Prather's been carrying a leg injury all season. Effects of it are starting to really show.

Reply #623371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather doesn't look injured just depressed. Has a face that looks like he about to break down after every stoppage.

Reply #623372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats led by 13 in Cairns and should have put the Taipans away but this season they lack the killer instinct which they had last season. I suspect like the Adelaide game where they led by 16 and got overrun.

Reply #623388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings will overrun them and win.

Reply #623389 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen was interviewed on the NBL Nation podcast this week
NBL Nation

Discussion topics included the Taipans loss, Prather's form/health & Knight's health

Reply #623394 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

What did he say about Prather's form?

left my headphones at home. can't listen at work.

Reply #623396 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Was questioned about Casey's form, pointed to his health, and mentioned that he thought Casey was starting to move a little better this past round.

Re: Knight, he said he was a chance to return for Friday but not yet in the clear

Reply #623398 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Level 4 has been opened up with single seats only available in the rest of the categories. Should be an awesome game.

Reply #623406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire suspended for this game for an incident which no really saw or knows what happened.

Reply #623411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all know what happened - he was being a cock as per usual.

Reply #623412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na, he was racially vilified six years ago so its ok.

Reply #623414 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Hire suspended for this game for an incident which no really saw or knows what happened."

What? Source? Or are you being sarcastic?

Reply #623417 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@Lachy_Reid
.@NBL charges @PerthWildcats @greg4hire with striking - can take a one game suspension if accepts early plea.

Reply #623419 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Lachie Reid has reported it. It's for that incident with Mitchell in the 3rd he got an unsportsmanlike at the time I didn't think much of it. NBL has said 2 games but 1 if he accepts. Is this the first suspension of the season?? Very soft

Reply #623420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha unlucky.

Reply #623423 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Its hard to judge some of the careless stuff that goes on in basketball.

You've got Conlkin who wildly throws his arms around everytime he loses the ball, smashes Damo's Jaw and the NBL let him skate.

Should Tommy get penalised for accidentally giving Knight a concussion???

I also really don't like them adopting the "early plea" bullshit.
What they're actually saying is "We are a law unto ourselves, and accountable to nobody. If you dare to question us we will penalise you twice as hard."

End of the day, the NBL has picked a rubbish time to get tough.

Reply #623424 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #623426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A clear suspension. Not even in the act of going for a board or a shot and his elbow goes up that high... dirty!

Reply #623428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see the game, but just saw that replay. Tourbduckin kidding yourself if you didn't think a suspension was coming!? The early plea has been implemented and works well in the afl. Guess Dazz you just need something to whinge about besides the actual incident which you can't straight faced say wasn't suspension worthy. The nbl had no choice and your issue should be with Greg hire the consummate nice guy you Perth faithful go on about. Great timing for your team to be a fool Greg.

Reply #623429 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm happy with the ruling - players need to be protected against high contact. The NBL needs to be more consistent though, it was nowhere near the severity as Childress hit in Wagstaff or Conklin smashing damo in the head.

Reply #623430 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The Kings will overrun them and win

Highly doubt it. Hostile crowd of 13k in a do or die situation means you need nerves of steel to play well. Only Lisch and Newley capable of playing unperturbed. If anything, they thrive on that challenge. Cadee, Powell and particularly Whittington don't have the same mental toughness. They'll either wilt or implode under pressure.

No overrunning here. If they win, it would be a very slim margin with calls heavily going in their favour and they get ridiculously hot from the perimeter. Two very unlikely events in the toughest arena in the country.

Reply #623431 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No issue with the suspension here either.
Disappointing from Greg. That's got no place in the game.

Reply #623433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A suspension was a bit soft imo. Worth a foul and an unsportsmanlike but not a suspension. I reckon Wortho's incident was worse (not saying that would be worth a suspension though). I just think a suspensions a bit soft for something like that.

Reply #623435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train agreed but think due to the backlash of those incidents you will find the head high hits now and moving forward will be met with these punishments. Ala Ferguson on wortho this season.

Reply #623439 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't think it was intentional but very reckless to be throwing elbows and arms around at that height .

Reply #623441 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

If that is a suspension surely the high shot from Jervis that concussed Knight needs to be looked at and also result in a suspension.

Frankly this is purely ammunition to suggest the league is sculpting the results they like.

Jervis had a Duty of care not to catch Knight high, he failed badly enough he was concussed and missed a game. To then turn to the team that had to stomach losing a key player for a game and say btw, you are now losing one of your players for a high shot is inconsistent and unacceptable.

Furthermore to hand out such a harsh penalty (context on NBL penalties) to a team who has had Damo's jaw get rearranged, Wagstaff receive a flying elbow, Joey wright punch a coach all with no or less suspension (pretty sure Childress served his suspension while he was injured anyway!!!) suggests that the league takes it's cues from the wildcats haters on here and is sick of seeing the cats at the top.

Reply #623442 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Didn't think it needed any further punishment than the call in the game. Nbl is so inconsistent it's worrying. the replay doesn't seem to be particularly damning in any fashion.

Reply #623444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrence Ferguson was outed for 2 games for taking a swing. I think they have taken a firmer stance this season based on backlash from previous incidents. If you take your cat fan hats off, realistically this is the correct decision and is to be commended from a previously inconsistent league on such things. Be angry at hire for making the league make a call on this. Dumb play.

Reply #623445 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Why is Jervis not suspended? high elbow resulting in concussion?

Perth hat is off.

Or is there no duty of care required to be shown to Perth players?

Perth hat back on. (recent history suggests no, fact)

Reply #623447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with J that it looks particularly harsh/worse due to the lack of suspension given out to people involved in incidents with Wildcats over the recent years. If this is the new norm then fair enough, but seems an odd and harsh/unlucky time for the league to be cracking down and making this the new norm.

Reply #623449 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Turn it up. The Jervis-Knight one was completely incidental. There was no malice in that one. That's a pretty dodgy interpretation of duty of care too, btw.

Bad decisions of the past shouldn't mean bad decisions today. That's not how precedent should work. Assessing this one on its merits, Hire threw the elbow and it struck high.

If the Cats believe that a 1 game suspension is unfair for that incident they can take it to the tribunal and argue their case.

Reply #623450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silver lining. DKD finally gets some minutes, hits half a dozen threes, Cats win, he carries that form in to Sunday, Cats qualify for the playoffs and end up facing Adelaide in the GF, DKD smashes them with his new found confidence, the Town of Adelaide floods due to the tears of their fans.

Reply #623453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, we are dealing with posters who are completely emotionally raged right now. You can't talk sense into conversation right now. Would the jervis suspension make you happier? I mean really? Like does it change the fact that the playoffs are now at risk due to a veterans stupid move? I mean if they some how suspended jervis at this point doesn't change the fact a Perth player made a bad reactive moved and it'll cost his team. Remember the fans loathe Perth not the league.

Reply #623454 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm emotionally raged too. There are just no emojis here with which to express it. So

grrrrr!!!!! Now we have to find an extra 20 points from somewhere to offset what Greg usually gives us at February Perth Arena games.

How we gon' do dat??

Reply #623458 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Luuuc please explain how Jervis didn't violate his duty of care to knight? Intention is a factor and not a major one at that. Paul George didn't intend to kick the ball at a member of the crowd, he did, was ejected and fined anyway because he still committed the action.

Reply #623469 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Interesting that J and his running mate Brown(?)who appeared to go over every Cairns (so called) potential foul or every other decision that went against the Cats and point many out to us failed to notice this incident or give it a mention. Hire's elbow must have been obscured behind the eye that J had closed.

Going by J's logic Hire should have had the book thrown at him because if this type of treatment continues to be dished out to star imports then no import will want to come here to play.

Reply #623470 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

As a Hawks supporter I fully endorse a 1 game ban for Jervis to be immediately imposed.

Reply #623473 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

FSTOS I haven't said hires suspension wasn't worthy, in context it is not worthy. If you read it would be better. If you read and comprehended you would see I want replays, and when was provided a photo of the prather out of bounds call happily acknowledged I was wrong.

Maybe if you removed you're anti perth sentiment you could see how in context of the injuries suffered by cats fans with little to no consequence this one stings.

Reply #623476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was given an USF on the day. There is nothing to complain about with that call and it should have been left at that. Definitely not worth a game. Medium impact? Not even close.

Reply #623479 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Yes suspending Jervis does mean something, it would show some form of consistency in how the league and to an extent it's officials make decisions. Something that if they are honest i suspect most would agree is very much needed.

Reply #623482 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Luuuc please explain how Jervis didn't violate his duty of care to knight? Intention is a factor and not a major one at that. Paul George didn't intend to kick the ball at a member of the crowd, he did, was ejected and fined anyway because he still committed the action."

J, I'm not trying to avoid the question, but I don't feel like I have anything new to add either.
like I said before, I thought the Jervis-Knight thing was incidental and just very unlucky to result in a head knock.
I consider that quite different to when a player intentionally lashes out in some way or kicks a ball with force.
If you intentionally perform an action that has a realistic chance of causing harm, then it is on you to make sure you perform that action with no one in the firing line. That is an application of "duty of care" that I am on board with. Feel like kicking ball hard? First make sure there are no people there and no property that's going to be damaged.
Jervis-Knight was not in that category at all IMO, unless you are ok with saying that no one is allowed to move within a metre of another person on a basketball court because if they do there is potential for a collision.

If people want to dig up other incidents in order to compare severity and compare punishment that's a good thing. I just think the Jervis-Knight one is not remotely similar, so it's a poor choice to pick on. It had unfortunately bad consequences for Matty, but that doesn't make the action comparable.

Reply #623483 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

No I don't really have any anti Perth sentiment other than aversion to some of the flopping and irritating conduct that Redhage or Wagstaff for example have used over the years. In fact at times I admire (while its not easy on the eye)their commitment to win at all cost.

What has really pissed me off is how you and your forum buddy went on and on about the treatment Perth received in Cairns and all the associated BS about imports etc but did not even notice Hire's incident which (when added to the not even close lol out of bounds) which showed how you were clearly only checking one side of the story and did not want to listen to those who suggested that the calls, some of which were wrong as always, did nor really effect the outcome of the game.

If you look at the recent style of Perth and their physical play (which by the way I cant recall personally spending countless posts whining about) you just come across as the ultimate one eyed hypocrite for you whingeing about the Cairns game without ever posting these same issues when they involve the team you support. Which by the way most unbiased fans with a decent knowledge of the game will agree cross the line more than most.

Reply #623485 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Luuuc, from where i saw the Kninght Jervis hit i thought an arm came up (again no replay, wouldn't it be easier if they showed them). However to an extent it doesnt matter.

As the screener Jervis owes Knight a Duty of care to set a screen legally and safely, like in AFL and bumping.

If you do fail to do this you have violated your duty of care.

No doubt Jervis wasn't trying to hurt Knight, but it doesn't come into duty of care.
Just like not locking away chemicals, no malice, but a duty of care violation none the less.

I agree with you saying the action had no malice, and malice should not be a contributing factor to any punishment, but that is a separate part of a whole, Duty of care is another.

Reply #623486 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

FTSOS I have said I don't like everything about how Perth play, also acknowledged I hit the keys a bit much the other day, can you let it go?

There were some horrible calls both ways in that game, did you really want me to post about them all? I really don't see why I would write about the elbow, there was no replay (again) and frankly I hadn't seen enough to comment.

I felt that during the 3rd in particular there was a bunch that consistently went against Perth that changed the momentum of the game, you may feel differently, we are both entitled to express our grievances.

Have you considered that maybe the Perth bashing on here and the failure to ever (by most) acknowledge that Perth can be on the wrong end of a call or two, or three contributes to the feeling that they are getting hard done by?

I am all to aware how rubbish the refs are, i regularly shake my head at some calls that go Perth's way, but why would i post that? It would only fuel the brazen Perth bashing i referenced above.

If you don't believe me, i'll sight the foul on Mccaron on MCkay, all ball, bad call. Happens all the time.

Reply #623489 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

All good J. Sounds fair to me.

Reply #623490 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cheers FTSOS. Shall be a big weekend of basketball.

Reply #623491 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

J, I don't think Jervis is even trying to set a screen there. If you look at his feet, he's on the move the whole time. To me he is just trying to get past the crush and into open space, but clips Knight accidentally on the way past.
(We also all know Matty's history with head knocks. Had that been any other player I think there's a fair chance they don't even need to sub out after that contact - but that's just speculation on my part and not any part of my point)

(View at YouTube for a larger & higher-def view)

Reply #623492 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Thanks for the vision. Not as clean cut as it looked live, can't say I want a player suspended for that, more than happy to acknowledge that.

Reply #623496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice work J, I agree.

Reply #623499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good form, J.

Reply #623501 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"Interesting that J and his running mate Brown(?)who appeared to go over every Cairns (so called) potential foul or every other decision that went against the Cats and point many out to us failed to notice this incident or give it a mention. Hire's elbow must have been obscured behind the eye that J had closed. "

Actually it was mentioned often in the form of "would be nice for a replay of an USF?"
Besides, the ref called it so I'm at a loss of what your point is and I have said in this thread the correct call was made, so again, still don't know your point other than to whinge about cats fans.

Reply #623503 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This thread is going along nicely... Can't wait for game time and all the "[my team] is getting screwed by the refs!" :)

Reply #623508 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Damn, it's hard to see any contact to Knights head in that vision.

Agree with the above, in no way was that intentional. I think Knight has taken too many head high hits....similar what happened to that St.Kilda AFL player Justin Koshitzki. Time to retire.

Reply #623519 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Is Knight going to play?
I assume that Hire isn't, so we really need Matty back. He's had a few quite games, but was playing really well before he bumped his head again. He has shown before that he can really lift when the team needs him.

Reply #623609 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

I am a Perth supporter and I agree that within the rules of the game the 1 game suspension is appropriate, however this type of contact has occurred dozens of times throughout the year without a suspension. I think it is terrible timing for the NBL to start to crack down on the crucial last round before the finals.

Reply #623725 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Knight has been playing really well prior to bumping his head? We have obviously been watching different games Dazz. Apart from the first few games after his return from his shoulder injury he has been terrible!

Reply #623726 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

Greg Hire playing tonight as per Wildcats twitter.

Penalty reduced to a 1-game suspended sentence.

Reply #623737 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Shouldn't have even been a suspended sentence... But glad he's free to play tonight.

Reply #623743 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Absolute fair decision by the panel to suspend the sentence.

Congrats Wildcats. If you don't win, it would be travesty.

Reply #623744 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Knights a grub with a glass jaw and it's about time he copped a hit.He wouldn't last two minutes on a footy field cause he is f in soft.

Reply #623747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phew! Lucky he didn't play footy then!

Reply #623749 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

TD15,
I said "was" not "has".
As I have said in the relevant threads, Knight has looked clearly hampered in recent games (presumably the Hip injury) slow to get up the court, and no elevation.
However he did come out strong in the Brissy game.
So I'm hoping the rest has helped not just his head but his hip.

Reply #623751 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

If you're relying on Knight....you aint getting the W!

Reply #623756 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Very underrated player, play's hard and fair. No consistency in any league when it comes to tribunals, his not going to win you games but his heart is in the right place and gives the same pretty much every game.

Reply #623760 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Cats reporting there are only 250 tickets left

Reply #623763 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Kings by 9.

Lisch to get back to his best. Newley to top score.

Reply #623767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never change Joe :-)

Reply #623768 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Cats to win by 12... Sydney to fly home crying

Reply #623774 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cats to win, narrowly.
Drewie to rock up at the airport for the return flight and find Anschutz has cancelled his ticket.

Reply #623777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't come up strong in the brassy game, he was on the receiving end of excellent passes by Casey. Did you not notice how passive he was on the defensive end? When he ventures out to guard the perimeter we are left very exposed. I agree that in the past his positioning has been excellent but lately he has really struggled to move his feet and has become a liability on the defensive end.

Reply #623805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well now the wildcats have to win both or get incredibly lucky with 1 win tonight and hope that Cairns and Illawarra lose.

Reply #623842 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

So if the Kings win, Cairns lose, Hawks win, them UTD beat Perth & Cairns, Kings, UTD, NZ & Perth all finish 14 & 14, who gets in? Cairns & Kings?

Reply #623879 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Stage is set for either a glorious Kings return to form, or a typical Kings double-digit loss in Perth. Heart says former, head says the latter.

Reply #623880 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cadee guarding Cotton. ..... LOL

Reply #623882 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cadee guarding Cotton. ..... LOL

Reply #623884 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Damo's on

Sorry Kangz

Reply #623886 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gleeson already got 2 call overturns and we're not even in the 2nd Q yet.

Reply #623887 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Actually pretty sure the same ref had his face saved twice

Reply #623890 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Kevin's not the same Lisch : (

Reply #623891 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Lisch needs a rest. About three months. He's worn out. Don't like seeing that happen to any player.

Reply #623893 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Should have stayed in the WAFL Moller

Reply #623894 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Freaking atrocious refereeing

Reply #623896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight is cooked

Reply #623897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather wow

Reply #623898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton might be the best little guard in the league

Reply #623899 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

lol at this shtyeful Perth crowd, they get about 14 calls in a row, then complain when a correct foul is whistled against them

Reply #623901 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Marto is stroking that three ball beautifully

Reply #623906 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth games are hard to watch.

Whittington just got whistled for something Redhage used to do about 6 times a quarter. Martin draws a charge by diving sideways into Cadee who was making his way to the hoop. It was very reminiscent of the play two weeks ago when Martin almost knocked Casper Ware out- Ware had to go off the court and get treatment- but Martin still got the call.

Of course, the Cats have been horrendous on the road this year. United will take great pleasure in knocking them out of the playoff race on Sunday as Gleeson blows his stack on the side line. I'm quite looking forward to it- and United's season won't have been a complete failure after all.

Reply #623907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is something. Tearing Lisch a new one

Reply #623908 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well Watchung live it appeared the refs really lost control in the last few minseconds of that half. Surely that was so goaltend? And no way a charge. Yes a couple bad charge calls both ways also acknowledged

Reply #623910 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The way we are playing on D, I hope we end up losing this game because it will mean big changes this offseason, which in the long run I'd prefer over losing a first round series exit in 2 or 3 games. A high pick is basically a guaranteed drive down the middle of the key against our shitty defense.

Reply #623911 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Jason Cadee's beard looks like the terrorist disguise in Team America

Reply #623912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see both Prather and Cotton firing simultaneously.

Reply #623915 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If you're playing in Perth you know every time Martin hits the court it's a charge, and every time he rakes a ball handler's arm it's a no-call. That's just how it is... and also why you shouldn't ever put yourself in a situation where you must win in this arena. Would love to see a replay of Newley's first two touches in the 1st Q when Martin was matched up on him. Raked Newley's arm outside the arc, then brutally bodied him up next to the hoop.

Reply #623916 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Good half by both teams and pretty good half by the refs as well, the home cooking is there but minimal so far, about 6 points worth to the home team. Perth's hot shooting and hustle was impressive. Lets see how second half goes.

Reply #623917 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Get serious Gordon, these guys play once or twice a week. How can they be tired,the're professionals, it's a sad cop out they are tired.

Reply #623918 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Half time couldn't have come at a worse time for the cats. They usually go stone cold in the second half

Reply #623919 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

8 seconds in the key for Wagstaff?

Reply #623921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man if the Wildcats I am re-signing Cotton ASAP

Reply #623922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH is a flog.

Keep talking to yourself champ.

Reply #623923 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Get serious Gordon, these guys play once or twice a week. How can they be tired,the're professionals, it's a sad cop out they are tired."

What level of sport have you played Thunder? To suggest professional athletes' bodies don't sometimes get worn down from a huge workload of training and playing at high intensity is at odds with reality.

Reply #623924 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good tech Gleeson.

Reply #623926 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol... why is that a tech? Ball didn't go above his waist, and he was clearly shitty at himself?

Reply #623927 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well as I predicted Whittington with the first implosion, well done!

Reply #623928 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Giving Whittington the second technical so early is an absolute joke. Should've used discretion and had a stern word with him instead of throwing him out.

Perfect example of a ref getting swept away with the Perth crowd.

Reply #623929 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Angus as someone who hit the keys to hard last week, it was dumb and a t. Don't do what I did.

Reply #623930 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What did Whittington get 2 techs for?

Reply #623931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clear over and back on lisch but no call?

Reply #623932 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

First was for shooting after the whistle... something that happens god knows how many times a game, and the 2nd was for being angry at stepping out and bouncing the ball aggressively. Good call refs.

Reply #623933 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That foul on Lisch, if they called that on Martin he'd be done by halftime every game.

The NBL has come a long way but it has a long way to go.

Reply #623934 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I know it's in Perth and all that but that sounds pretty harsh.

Reply #623935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are shit again.

Reply #623936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings season is over

Reply #623937 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

To be fair, Whittington bounced the ball hard 3 times, but in that situation... reminds me of that Memphis-Kansas NCAA final years ago when Derrick Rose blew the FTs in the last minute, then next possession is called for a foul and slams the ball on the court, shitty at himself... gets cautioned, but no tech. NBL refs though? No chance.

Reply #623938 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Dont blame the refs blame whittingtons obligatory implosion

Reply #623939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That little man can get up.

Reply #623940 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It was a complete lack of control and lack of judgement on the part of the refs to blow two techs instantaneously without a warning or anything.

Just extremely poor judgement, refs who lost control with the 12,000 riotous crowd baying hard.

An example of how far the NBL has to go.

Reply #623941 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Whittington was the player who got warned for delay of game matell.

Reply #623942 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Let's see if, going forward, we see every guy who shoots after a whistle is called for delay of game.

Reply #623943 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

The kings had already been given a delay of game warning. Whittington should have been more aware of it

Reply #623944 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It serves no purpose to throw a player out as easily as that, and is actually detrimental to the interests of basketball.

And, extremely hypocritical and inconsistent given the extremely long leash afforded the 8 coaches who patrol the sidelines in this league. I'm sure Gleeson would be given ample warning before being turfed out of the stadium. These guys constantly step onto court during play, they make an ugly sideshow by throwing their hands in the air like Mitchell Johnson appealing an lbw and screaming like teenage girls.... But a player shoots after the whistle, and then bounces the ball too hard on the ground.... And GONE. See ya! It's legit parody stuff. Absolute parody. Only in Perth.

Reply #623945 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Haha let's blame the refs again, getting boring, they have crap all year, why are people shocked at this.

As it sits Kings 17 fouls Cats 15, hardly huge difference.

Must be the refs fault Lisch is shooting 25% from the field and Newley 30%.

Reply #623946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the first tech was for delayed of game after a warning had been given to the Sydney Kings earlier.

Reply #623947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daylight

Sydney

Daylight

6th or 7th

Reply #623948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KINGS ARE MENTALLY WEAK.

Reply #623949 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Refs didn't cost Sydney the game, but they're costing us an entertaining game, at least.

Reply #623950 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cadee makes a shit turnover.....Gaze subs Moller & WMcD off. What the?

Reply #623951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson needs to pull the guns out of the game. Save them for Melbourne.

Reply #623952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather back inform

Reply #623953 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Garret Jackson - awesome signing..

Clean the place out- useless cunts

Reply #623954 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Stop trying to create another ref bashing thread LV

Reply #623955 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah LV, save it for threads where Perth loses!

Reply #623956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SYDNEY AND MU

DAYLIGH

According to LV HAHAHAHA

Reply #623957 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Spot on Angus

I enjoy Many games of basketball not involving the two teams I follow, being United and Spurs, but I consistently find games in Perth are not enjoyable due to the one sided Reffing. It's disgusting.

Reply #623958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MOLLER

Reply #623960 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Prather is back!

Reply #623961 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Btw guys.

I put a bet on at the start of the season. $1. If Cairns plays Perth in GF, I make $276. I'm ahead for the season. Also bet on Cairns to make playoffs. So I actually could make lots of money starting from tonight's result. And since United are now out that almost definitely spells the end for DD- a good thing. So this is not sour grapes at all from me.

If you're a real basketball fan then you should want to see exciting, fair contests. Tonight was not one. Sure Perth would probably have won anyway, but the point stands that the Reffing took a lot away from the spectacle. Disappointed.

Reply #623962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want Maric, Cadee, Moller, Prewster, Powell GONE.

Whittington won't be back.

Give Lisch the whole off season off. He's cooked.

Reply #623963 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Moller is our best offensive player. Strange to say.

Reply #623964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill should also be gone.

Reply #623965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got a lesson about playoffs defence level ball tonight

Reply #623966 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...or I should say, our best offensive player in this mess of a shuffle that we run regardless of how successful it is.

Reply #623967 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

LV are you talking about the reffing overall in this game or the two techs?

Reply #623969 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Margin too big and not enough time left, safe to assume the Kings are done. Other than Lisch, Newley and Gaze on 3 year deals, who else has multi-year deals? Maric?

Next season definitely clear out all the imports, retain Moller and send Gaze to coaching school.

Reply #623971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one legged one has found his second leg! Good teams win, great teams
Cover the line. This result was to be expected, only good thing about a Wildcats win is making money off them.

Reply #623972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why only 11 mins for Knight?

Reply #623973 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Because he got blocked 5 times, probably.

Reply #623974 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh well, big changes this offseason.

Perth, enjoy your chance of obtaining a first round exit.

Reply #623975 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm talking about the whole game, I turned it on when it was half way through first quarter, Perth got plenty of calls go their way in the second quarter. But the charge that Martin drew and the two techs on Whittington were just horrific

Reply #623976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will beat the hapless United

Reply #623977 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

I know there is another thread, but how do Cairns top us if they lose tomorrow night, we finish on the same wins, and we have the point split.

What am i missing ?

Reply #623978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should be the United and tie the Hawks and get second place if Adelaide beats Cairns.

Reply #623979 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Other than Lisch, Newley and Gaze on 3 year deals, who else has multi-year deals? Maric?

Maric has an option for next season, Cadee & Garlepp both have another year to go. Not sure about Khazzouh.

Reply #623980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Class act by Sydney to stay on court to congratulate Redhage on his career

Reply #623981 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

I agree the charge calls were pretty bad but the techs, although harsh were called correctly

Reply #623983 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Again, if the techs (the first in particular) are called correctly, I expect to see a delay of game warning (or tech, on a 2nd) for everyone who shoots after a whistle.

Reply #623985 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"I know there is another thread, but how do Cairns top us if they lose tomorrow night, we finish on the same wins, and we have the point split."

because all the scenarios with Cairns and Melbourne tied also have someone else tied with them. Cairns did better than Melbourne against all the other teams that might make up that multi-team mini table. So they end up with a better win-loss ratio than Melbourne in all of those possible mini-tables.

Reply #623988 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

isn't that what happened? The kings were already warned, whittington was the next one to shoot after the whistle

Reply #623989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Kings were already warned previously. Hence the tech. What needs to be changed is that tech should be charged to the team and not the player.

Both Techs were warranted though

Reply #623991 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Kings line up 2017-18 season (considering who is already signed)

Lisch
IMPORT
Newley
Whittington (if we can - has potential)
Khazzouh

Moller
Cadee (cause he's signed)
Import (like McKay or rebounding defender)
Maric
Garlepp
McDW (if available, if not, a guard)
Hill

No need for a 3rd import with that roster.
Keep it up the sleeve.
Do need an offensive shake up & a kick in the ass for anyone that displays piss poor body language.
Gaze will learn from this season & evolve as a coach.

Reply #623992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is there best rebounder and gets to the rack as good as anyone at the kings, to many mates act at kings, gaze going to have to learn ruthlessness. Hopefully the kings can keep MDW and Moller as they are the future and don't hog the ball very team orientated.

Reply #623993 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Whittington is the player who received the delay of game warning earlier in the game. The after already drawing the delay of game warning he is the one who shoots the ball. Harsh, maybe but you have to be smarter. The second, come on you need to know better at that point.

Lv the charge calls are rubbish in every game and have been all season. To suggest the refs spoilt the game is sour grapes. For once there was minimal off ball calls that didn't impact the play.

Reply #623994 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

sorry, saw "Vic" and thought you were asking about Melbourne.

If Cairns and Perth both lose their remaining games, it depends on the Illawarra-Brisbane result:

If Illawarra then Perth will finish above Cairns.

If Illawarra lose then Cairns finish second, Perth third and NZ fourth.

Reply #623995 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's Casey Prather the real Casey Prather all those other weeks' Casey Prathers were just imitating

Oh and I hated that ejection too.
Both acts were worth techs, but damn ... 2 "soft" techs should not get you tossed from a game.
(and yes I know that's the rule and always has been)

Reply #623997 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

The kings were insipid and whittington was having a good game but dammit it was his own stipidity which got him tossed and cost the kings any chance thereafter.

Was great to see Prather being aggressive and back to his best again. With him and cotton both firing together watch out

Reply #624000 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is it a hard and fast rule though? I thought there was refs' discretion under FIBA rules? Could be wrong.

Reply #624001 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If it's the refs' discretion that would be ideal.

In theory :/

Reply #624002 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Foul count 20-20 win by 27 yet all we hear about is the poor reffing. Give me a break

Reply #624013 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

At game thought the second tech was too harsh, don't know if he screamed something he shouldn't have because it just looked like he was letting off steam. We don't need to take emotion out of the game. NBA and fiba both want to turn players into vanilla robots, crowds want to see personality,

That was by far the best the wildcats imports have worked together all season. Hope it continues till Sunday.

Reply #624017 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't see a problem with the refs calling the techs for delay of game BUT why start calling it all of a sudden. Shooting after the whistle has been blown has been going on all season ffs. Even as a Perth fan, you dont want to see that happen.

Putting that aside, Perth defence was brutal and it was good to see Prather return to form. Perth can be dangerous if they can keep playing at that level.

Reply #624019 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I was wrong, not even close.
Kings soft on D, then seemed to lose heart.

Shame to see Whittington ejected like that.

It's not like he was mouthing off or being aggressive.
It's one thing to eject a hot-headed coach, but to take out a good player, just sucks. I don't thing Sydney had a chance by that stage, but they might not have lost heart so quickly.

Reply #624021 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whittington bounced the ball into the crowd. Seconds after getting a delay of game technical that resulted from him also getting a delay of game warning earlier.

There's a pretty simple solution: don't be stupid.

Reply #624023 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"I don't see a problem with the refs calling the techs for delay of game BUT why start calling it all of a sudden. Shooting after the whistle has been blown has been going on all season ffs. Even as a Perth fan, you dont want to see that happen."

Unfortunately a victim of the circumstances, think the ref was frustrated as both the him and a Perth player were right next to Whittington on the sideline ready to restart play.

Reply #624024 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Was there a delay of game warning before he was given a tech? I thought he had to be given a warning first?

Reply #624025 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There was definitely a warning given earlier, yes.

Reply #624026 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, there was a warning. On Whittington.

Reply #624027 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

fair call if he was warned and then continued on with it. He was sat on the bench for quite a while before the refs realised he had to be ejected.

Reply #624028 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Respect from Sydney for redhage was all class! Hope Perth can play close to that on Sunday! Was a great end if it is but I have a feeling we got a few more to come.

Reply #624034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got a warning after the travel where he proceeded to shoot the ball and later he got a second he got booted. He should have known better

Reply #624039 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He got a warning after the travel where he proceeded to shoot the ball and later he got a second he got booted.
No, he got a technical for shooting the ball. His warning was earlier in the game.

Reply #624041 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He argued a LOT over an earlier foul call. I think that pissed the refs off.

When was the warning given?
Heal was claiming the warning wasn't against Whittington.

I have no problem with a foul being called in each of those situations.
I think the refs were right to call them, and the rules are the rules.
But it sucks.

Reply #624050 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The warning was definitely against Whittington, I remember it clearly because he complained at length about it. I'm not sure when it happened, I think it was the first quarter.

Reply #624053 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Isn't the delay of game warnings a team thing rather than on an individual player?

eg.... Player A from Team A gets a warning for delaying. Then one of his teammates cops a delay of game violation so it becomes a tech.

Reply #624066 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I hate team warnings for delay of game. It is the NBL, not under 10's at Marion. Pretty sure they have all played the game for enough years to know if it goes through the hoop, you need let the ball bounce on it's own.

If you get a violation, you drop the ball or put it to the Referee.

Equally I hate players being told to keep their hands behind the line and also getting a warning. They know what they are doing and there is no difference to other aspects of the game that don't get a warning.

On saying the above, I am all for proactive officiating to reduce the stoppages in the game, but stopping the game to tell a 30 year old 200 game player that he is not allowed to tap the ball away after a basket it just BS.

Reply #624070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost 14k people at the game but the nbl won't say anything unless it's an eastern states side cracking 10k

Reply #624096 | Report this post

whereisit?  
Years ago

1st warning to whittington was when he caught the ball on a made 2nd free throw, then threw it to the ref

Reply #624098 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The calls were tough but Whittington should have known better in that circumstance. Pretty sure if it was Hire no one on here would care or suggest his innocence.

Reply #624124 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"Almost 14k people at the game but the nbl won't say anything unless it's an eastern states side cracking 10k"

But the nbl does it because they are promoting the game in a market that needs it more.

Reply #624158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754