Aussie
Years ago

Fox Sports television ratings for Grand Final

Game 1 40k Fox Sports 3

Game 2 31k Fox Sports 3

Topic #40983 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Out of interest, how have Fox Sports and SBS ratings been going this season? And how does it compare to last season?

Reply #629490 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Apparently there's been a 20% increase in ratings.

I suspect the finals probably are rating lower because there are no major cities involved and most people don't like Perth.

Reply #629496 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

And the average basketball fan, let alone punter, doesn't give a shit about the NBL.

Just recommended a couple of the resident LbJ fans at work check out this grand final series. Naturally I was met with screwed up faces and followed by a comment about how excited they were for Ice Cube's 3on3 League.

Dark days.

Reply #629497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

After the indifference of recent years, you can tell that Fox and the NBL are really working to improve the broadcast. Often trying new things with graphics or camerawork, etc. I don't have Fox or ever intend to get it, but it's great that the NBL has a media partner who cares.

A counter to AC, I've had non-basketball friends mention that they had noticed the NBL on SBS over a weekend, or that they were taking their kids to a 36ers game. In fact, the third game of the 36ers-Hawks series, I think there were three different friends' kids at the game who I don't think had been previously.

Reply #629501 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I thought the NBL took full control of production?

Reply #629503 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

tv ratings are on par with previous seasons

I would consider myself an avid NBL fan yet forgot there was a game last night

LK talking up a good game but cant back it up with facts

Reply #629520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fundy, you call yourself an avid nbl fan and you didn't know a grand final game was on?

Reply #629531 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Correct

I thought it was tonight, didn't see any media etc

Reply #629532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Get the app. Hits you with notifications when a game starts and often during the day in the lead up. Easy to ignore them if you don't want to watch the game.

I find it really helpful with the NZ and Perth games where I forget the timezone and don't realise a game is on early or late.

Reply #629542 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I received texts from the NBL.

They went a little overboard with the caps and I don't remember ever giving permission to use my number to text, but I applaud the effort and reminder.

Reply #629554 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Same KET

Reply #629578 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I watched the game on the app. Id imagine plenty of others would too. This would count against the TV ratings, so not a great assessment of how many people actually watched the game from those TV figures.

I dont have fox, is it advertisted well there?

Reply #629580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of ads on Fox Sports channels.

Reply #629585 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I wonder if the figures would have been better if Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide were playing? Obviously Perth have the largest amount of fans, but with them playing in their 5th grand final in the last 7 years, im sure most non fans are sick of seeing them. Plus Illawarra dont have a lot of followers.

Adelaide are hungry and Melb/Syd would command a lot of interest. While the Hawks are the smallest supported club. Could be a factor?

Or perhaps being a best of 5 series now, there is less interest in the early games.

Reply #629611 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

AC, you went wrong by asking LBJ fans. They aren't basketball fans, they're dick riders.

There are a lot of basketball fans now getting involved with the NBL and packed stadiums attest to that.

Reply #629612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the terms bandwagoner and frontrunner but dickrider is awesome.

Reply #629613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camels have sexy eyes, they really do!

Reply #629616 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Got a token 5 second mention on the SBS sports news just announcing that the game is being shown on their channel. That was nice of them, considering its in their interest to do so. No story to go with it, but wouldnt really expect much.

Hopefully with this announcement, a few people might know to tune in and maybe they might have better ratings?

Reply #629839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBS has always ignored NBL, they make free to air look good. They will cry about the plight of football yet at the same time ignored the other main team sport the world plays. Hypocrites.

Reply #629840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw yet another billboard today about their racism themed week, they love blowing money to promote it. All the programs biasly come to the conclusion Australia is racist. SBS have jumped the shark.

Reply #629841 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Off-topic rants about how awful it is that people still think racism exists are the sure sign of a non-racist.

Reply #629843 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The agenda is more specific than that, Anonymous. It is about shaming white people. But the funny thing is white people are the most accepting of other races out of anyone.

Recent surveys have shown that out of the top 20 most inclusive countries, literally all of them are westernized, white majority countries. The survey asked questions like, 'would you have any issue with someone of another race or religion moving next door?' 'would you have issues with someone of another race or religion marrying a close family member?' and so on.

Multiculturalism doesn't fly in 99 percent of countries, but it seems like in the places it does happen, Australia for instance, there is this agenda to shame the majority into giving even more concessions to the minority.

In the FU2Racism shows you will never see when the Aboriginal, African or Asia hates the white Australian. You will never see the racially motivated violence of groups like Apex towards white people. You'll only ever see the bucktoothed bogan on a bus talking shit. In my view, you're seeing the reaction to trends set by certain groups who come here when you see people mouth off like that.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. But I too am sick of seeing the constant media shaming of specifically white Australia that comes with the FU2Racism campaign, and I feel that it would benefit a lot with a bit of balance.

Reply #629845 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, the poor oppressed white people. That's the real problem.

Reply #629848 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not one of your more intellectual contributions Kobe.

Reply #629849 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Yes, the poor oppressed white people. That's the real problem."

Dismissive, dickheadish retorts like this are why far right populism is growing. As soon as the other side of the coin is shown, the media and idiots like yourself say things like that, so those 'poor oppressed white people' go and vote for Pauline Hanson or Donald Trump.

People do get sick of being told they're the problem, and when you keep telling the majority it's their problem whilst they watch their country fall to ruin around them, they'll soon get sick of it. When you have a group that is the most open and accepting in society, and who has opened its arms to the world, be victim of the kind of racial and ethnic epidemics which are happening in parts of Sydney and Melbourne, and then for that group to be told they're the problem because they dared to be born, before long they're going to get sick of it.

But that's fine, Kobe. Obviously you've sipped the Kool Aid and bought right into the narrative of minorities are oppressed and whites are privileged. Although I dare you to find a way in which whites are any more privileged than any majority in any other country. White privilege should really be called majority privilege, because that's what it is. People who don't like that whites seems to benefit from the fact that others in the country are white should move somewhere where we aren't rather than try to shame us at every turn. But of course, places where we aren't aren't really doing so well, are they?

Reply #629857 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A couple of very good posts there ME. A good perspective of the current enviornment we live in.

Theres extreme left and right views being thrown around a little too easily these days, particularly in the media. A good balance is to be in the centre and listen to both sides with balance and logic.

Like them or hate them, the Trumps and Hansons of the world are getting a bigger voice because theres a growing intolerance from popular left views that dont want to accept differing opinions to their own. Its sad that its like this, but its been brought on by media particularly SBS, ABC etc...

Reply #629858 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How did this thread go from Fox Sports television ratings to a political discussion about race?

Reply #629945 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

When SBS got mentioned :)

Reply #629965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought sbs did a good job and stayed with the presentation right through to the end. Hope they get more next year.

Reply #629975 | Report this post

jarwon  
Years ago

o really i am shocked to see this, i don't think this is to many wast.

Reply #631057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754