Udog
Years ago

Hawks qualifying for playoffs

Would the Hawks have made the finals if they hadn't won the regular season series against the 36ers.

They were the only team to win the series against 36ers this year and obviously play well against them as we saw in the semis. It looks like they would have been one game short of qualifying if they hadn't.

Topic #40987 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If they lost an extra game, the Hawks would've finished 14-14 and level with New Zealand. They won that series on points differential (+11) so I think they still would've finished fourth.

Reply #629590 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Then if the 36ers had won the series they miss out definitely by one game.

Reply #629595 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Cairns and Sydney were their bogey sides during the regular/minor season and one of those teams made the semi-finals. They split their series with Perth but lost on the points spread by 6 points. That suggests they earned their spot to me.

They have been disappointing in the Final series to date, perhaps Game 3 of the semi-final series was their peak. I hope not.

I suspect Perth have simply gone to another level which is no surprise given their experience.

AND WHY I DIDN'T BUY INTO ANY OF THE BS FROM CERTAIN PERTH FANS MOANING ABOUT THE END OF THE STREAK!!!! :-)

(Even though it came down to that final game against Melbourne, bloody Melbourne!)

Reply #629598 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Hawks I feel have been a good consistent team all season.
Wildcats look like they came good at the right time by adding Cotton

Reply #629599 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends if you're assuming the 36ers won the series 3-1 rather than 2-2 and with a points advantage. It doesn't factor in at all given they didn't have similar records.

Seems like a strange hypothetical. I wouldn't have considered Illawarra a bogey team for Adelaide. The 36ers looked like the better team in the first two semi-final games to me.

There are more knife-edge ones in the Gliddon foul incident that cost Cairns a win in Perth, or the final Perth-Melbourne game which would've been critical.

Reply #629602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754