Mr D White
Years ago

Melbourne United - Head coaching position

Who will be the next Head coach of Melbourne United?

In my opinion now have United not gone hard after Aaron Fearne. What he has done in Cairns has been impressive. 3 playoff appearances in 7 season with that talent, are you kidding me. What the heck have these other teams been doing with allstar talent. All those other teams should be ashamed of themselves. I have lived in Adelaide all my life and been to a number of Adelaide games and watched so many on TV I have always been so impressed how his teams play.

Limited budget
Always written off at the start of seasons
Don't have a Boomer on the roster
People always question their style of game

At the end of the day he out coaches the other coaches so many times, his players play hard and always seem a very tight group.

United are always looking for that big time signing. Stop messing around and look in your own backyard. The proof is right in front of you.

United spend so much money they can go get whatever they want.

Just my 2 cents worth

Who agrees or disagrees?

Topic #41021 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Dennis then daylight

Reply #630391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman is well before daylight.

Reply #630396 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

agree with you D White/

Reply #630400 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Agreed that if Dennis or Vickerman want the job, they should get it. Simple as that. Proven winners that have both shown to be of a high character.

Reply #630405 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I feel that Vickerman is the obvious choice. Assuming there is no animosity between him and current Melbourne management.

Shawn Dennis is back with his mentor Wisman, coaching in Japan.

People always seem to jump to the conclusion that Fearne is itching to leave Cairns, but why?
He makes the finals and everyone in Cairns throws a party and congratulates him on a fantastic job.
In any given season he usually has the most secure job in the NBL.
And just maybe he would like to win a title with them.

Reply #630410 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Fearney will see out his current contract and then if he doesn't renew probably move back to the US to be nearer his wife's family. I think his kids will be at or near high school age by them.

No way in a million years he goes to Melbourne.

Reply #630417 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some whispers is that Vickerman has signed on the dotted line but no announcement just yet

Reply #630419 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@CT, is Mr D White a vertain gentleman who sits behind the Taipans bench, do you think?

Perhaps this is part of his evil ploy to have Aaron Fearne removed as Taipans coach. The thot plickens.

Reply #630421 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns might have had a limited budget to work with, but they've never had a lack of talent in Fearne's time there.

Jawai, Worthington, Loughton, Weigh and Gliddon have all been a part of the Boomers at one time or another.

Fearne has done really well in attracting those guys to the Cairns program - as well as some really solid imports (and some not-so good) - but they haven't made the playoffs in his time due to a lack of talent.

Reply #630424 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Agree with Snooch.

Add to that list McCarron, and a still capable (at that time) Matt Burston + Cam Tragardh, then Torrey Craig and Scottie Wilbekins as imports during that time. Honourable mention for a very serviceable Shaun Bruce off the bench and Agent 97 now.

Fearne was not without talent to work with.

Considering the above, is 3 playoff appearances out of 7 an outstanding achievement?

Reply #630431 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Is the position even vacant? I'm not believing anything until I see the Seek advertisement.

Reply #630432 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I caint seem to recall weigh being a boomer ..
(maybe when he played for perth , was it then..)

Reply #630439 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Re. Weigh.
http://www.basketball.net.au/teenage-stars-join-nbas-patty-mills-in-boomers-squad/

Reply #630450 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

OIC

Reply #630454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne has 2 boomers ...

http://dhp3xz9jmcz9p.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/07/01155406/Gliddon-Jawai-Boomers.jpg

Reply #630457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fearney will see out his current contract and then if he doesn't renew probably move back to the US to be nearer his wife's family. I think his kids will be at or near high school age by them."
Because that's every parents dream, to send their kids to high-school in America.

Reply #630477 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"In my opinion now have United not gone hard after Aaron Fearne."

Wut?

Reply #630502 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Please take him!

Of course he won't leave his cushy, jobs for the boys club.

Reply #630534 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wasn't Daniel Joyce once in an extended Boomers squad? Stick to players who've played meaningful minutes in a meaningful international game.

Of this year's teams memory says:

Cairns 2
Brisbane 4
Sydney 3
Illawarra 1
New Zealand 6
Melbourne 3
Adelaide 1
Perth 3

Fearne has operated on a limited budget and Cairns have been probably the 4th best team in the NBL in his time there.

Only NZ and Perth have played in more GFs and only those two and Illawarra have been in more playoff campaigns.

Reply #630536 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Jawai, Worthington and Gliddon have all had extended periods with the Boomers. Loughton and Weigh have played in international games, albeit only a couple here and there.

Yes Cairns has worked on a limited budget, but no, Cairns hasn't had a lack of talent in Fearne's time at the helm - and the results you provide prove the point perfectly.

Reply #630560 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gliddon played less than a minute at the end of an Oceania qualifier that was already decided. He actually hasn't touched the ball in a meaningful international game.

Reply #630568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754