Isaac
Years ago

Markovic refuses to go to Blitz

Steve Markovic has decided not to join his West Sydney teammates in Cairns for the NBL Blitz, saying that he wants to be released from his contract to play in Europe.

Markovic is yet to suit for the Razorbacks in any pre-season games. Discussions are on hold until his manager returns from overseas.

It's a bit of a blow for West Sydney who would have started Markovic and have already lost Simon Dwight. James Harvey will likely start at shooting guard and force the Pigs to elevate Clint Reed to the starting line-up or sign a replacement. Reed averaged 4 PPG last season, and only 1 APG.

Topic #4105 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Reed isn't a PG though. He did have a 17 point game at the Blitz, however. Good opportunity for him. I think Harvey will hit 25ppg this season, it's not like anyone else will steal shots from him!

I'm tipping Pigs to come last.

Reply #47733 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Markovic's move to nominate for the NBA draft may not be that silly afterall. It obviously cought some teams eyes in europe.
He seems a bit spoilt(not the right word) to not show up for the blitz. He's obviously not a team player. Unles he has a euro out clause he should honour the faith West syd has shown him and stick it out just like CJ had too..
personally Id let him go coz if you make him stay hees obviously gonna whinge and moan about it and not going to perform. sounds to me like his head is getting to big for himself..
just person opinion.

Reply #47734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who are they going to replace him with either out of their squad (Carter??) or elsewhere? They've already got two imports, so have to look for an Australian.

He nominated for the NBA draft, not to get a NBA gig, but to attract Euro interest and it obviously worked. That said, he's just destroyed his local reputation completely by signing then refusing to play the pre-season, etc.

Reply #47735 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i say that is real bad on his part. He put his hand up for the NBA and must have known that he was getting some attention and then sign his contract or agree to stay with the pigs only to bail so close to the start of the season. He should have left before the season. Its a shame for the pigs.

Reply #47751 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Sounds like young Steve is being a little PIGheaded.

Not to mention the effect this has on my NBL GM line up.

Reply #47802 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

BJ Carter would not neccesarily be a bad replacement. He has certainly impressed with his time at the Kings, and maybe getting extended, regular court time would be what he needs.

Reply #47805 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Pigs just need to give some kids a run this season .. Try and play around James Harvey ... Might not make the playoffs but will help them develop for next year ... however the money they could lose from a dissapointing season could put them behind the 8 ball for some time...

Reply #47810 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754