yogee
Years ago

So where are the BASA knockers now?

Let's see....a 20+ thread post whining about BASA's decision to move next Saturdays opening game of the 36ers, everyone whining when it was realised the Crows game might be on Friday.

Now it is confirmed that the Crows ARE playing Saturday night at AAMI stadium, can we expect these same people to be posting congratulating BASA on having the foresight to move the game to avoid the clash?

No? Didn't think so.

Topic #4114 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

LOL - good on them for moving the game - although you must admit they could have waited until everyone knew for sure when the crows would be playing?

BTW what happened to the article from the tiser that said the Crows would be playing Friday night if they lost or Sunday afternoon if they won?

Reply #47807 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Not only that Yogee, but today's Boti Nagy article seemed to indicate that if the Crows had lost meaning a Friday night game that BASA would have moved the game back to Saturday night.

Well done to the Crows in any event and can't wait until Friday night. Will be a great game against the Wildcats?

Reply #47808 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

BASA made the right decission , maybe jumped the gun a bit early in making the move .. but none the less turned out quite well ... Sixers perth should be a big game we need to get as many fans their as possible no excusses now ...

Reply #47811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are still here, just contemplating things. Like why the advertisement for the head honcho job had no mention of juniors. I guess that's the kind of regard that BASA hold their junior program in. All the entities (36ers, Fella's, and juniors) need to be separated and have a head honcho (and body) each.

Reply #47812 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

At a flower show?

Reply #47814 | Report this post

Pickles  
Years ago

good call Kent

Reply #47815 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Yogee, with his credibility shot after thinking the flower show was a good idea. Comes back with a nah nah nah nah nah thread.

Reply #47816 | Report this post

Outlandish  
Years ago

the latest craze for your children has hit the stores. its up and down and back and forth, but its not a yo-yo! any guesses? yes thats right, its yogees opinion of BASA!!

Reply #47817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

god you are lot are so perfect you can all make criticism of others

you at times make me feel so sick

Reply #47818 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't worry about that CEO position. Dr Dunkenstein's already a lock, proposing such wonderful initiatives as:

- an annual look-like-Rick-Castle day
- all Maverick field goals worth 3 points, and Eastern 3 pointers to be worth 4 points
- the launch of Where's Bizzy? sponsored by Coopers
- a BASA anthem inspired by his Hoops SA endeavours, with the working title of "What the hell do I have to do to get a little basketball?"

Reply #47822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well yogee,

Lucky and good are two different things.

And they have only been lucky once.

Still have junior games messed up leading inot finals.

Still have the flower show.

Will still the smallest first game crowd since moving into the dome.

However, given the new ticketing, proposed pre-game show things are looking up.

Reply #47825 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Dr Dunkenstein,

If you do become CEO, can I be in charge of music???

Just a thought, what if Port wins the right to a home final? When will that game be played? Would that clash with the 36ers? Or would it possibly clash with Sunday games?

Any news on how the flower show went?

Reply #47830 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Am still peeved at BASA for its TOTAL disregard for the Juniors leading into finals and the need for double headers etc etc, so I went to the Port Stadium Flower Show today and bounced bloody basketballs all over their displays! Never knew flowers squashed so well.... lol.. told them I was yogee & the BASA boss. Feel much better now.

Reply #47834 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

I can't get the job unless I apply.

Other initiatives that will help me get the job:

- Employing Satish Dogra/Bo Hamburger as my Hoops ghost writer (still trying to get one of those darn little balls)

-implement a new rule for district basketball preventing coaches from wearing pants.

- Sign Manute Bol in the off season (providing his Sudanese league has an out-clause), surely we (BASA) can afford to match his 50 cow a season salary. Perhaps offer a chicken per game bonus scheme as well. May even slide a goat or two under the table, Brisbane Bullets style.

- Employ security for the music man, giving him a picture and licence to shoot for Matt Ryan to ensure our ears aren't voilated, should he try to get his playlist on at games.

- Hire the accountant from Brisbane Bullets.

but to be fair to your mob Isaac

- i'd also change the sixers colors. Change the red to a sky blue, and the yellow to deep blue.

Reply #47836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doc,

They could mostly just wear there junior uniform.

Would only need to get a couple of second hand uni's for the imports

Reply #47837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah its good they moved the 6ers game but what the junior games they have move to Saturday night? More money in forfeit fines I guess!

Reply #47838 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I dont beleive I ever said the Flower Show was a good idea.

I beleive I said that trying to raise more money without putting up player fees was a wise business decision.

Yes, booking it at a time when finals is due was lacking in foresight, but cripes, you people want perfection, but want to pay peanuts for it.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Reply #47850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who's paying peanuts? isn't basketball one of the more expensive junior sports?

i think people want their organization to look out for its primary purpose which is developing basketball and prioritizing things for those who pay to play.

noone wanted perfection, just for the organization to focus on basketball first.

what do you get paid to do stats??

Reply #47852 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Peanuts = monkeys, but we aren't getting our peanuts worth!

Reply #47857 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Not disagreeing with anyone but this discussion highlights the difficulties facing BASA.

Anonymous and no doubt parents of BASA juniors think the organisation should look out for its 'primary purpose' which is developing basketball which I interpret to mean juniors first (sorry anonymous if this isn't what you meant).

No doubt Smyth and many other posters would argue the primary purpose of BASA is to look after the 36ers, the number 1 source of revenue for BASA by stacking the roster with quality (expensive?) players.

Others would argue that the Fellas/Lightning should be a higher priority with more money allocated to them.

There have certainly been posts from umpires/former umpires, coaches and players a like complaining of the money given to the umpires and the alleged fall in standards as a result.

There have been posts from myself and others complaining about previous seasons game night entertainment and lack of marketing that in my view has been the result of a combination of lack of passion, lack of initiative and incompetence. Harsh I know but advertising and entertainment doesn't have to be expensive. However, to be fair the lack of a budget and doing whatever it takes to get sponsorship (ie sandwich making comp) has also played a big part.

I'm pretty sure the Government also believes they should rank higher in BASA's priority with respect to repayment of the Dome.

There are so many conflicts that just about every decision is not going to please everyone.

Just appreciate that things aren't as easy as they seem and when we don't know the dollars behind some of the decisions it is hard to judge whether they are in fact stupid or whether we would have made the exact same decision.

Reply #47860 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Sorry to post pad but another issue that hasn't been mentioned is how impressive it has been that Vlahov and the Wildcats agreed to change the game (and indeed the NBL...assisting the 36ers?) in the first place.

If today's article by Nagy is any indication, it sounds as though Perth had agreed to be on stand-by to change the game back to Saturday should the Crows have lost.

I believe Perth would have been within their rights to have insisted on the game staying on a Saturday and if it meant an empty stadium because of the clash with the Crows then too bad for the 36ers.

Some condemned the 36ers playing pre-season games in Perth at the time of the ABL Grand final (which Rees ended up playing) but just goes to show that a decent business relationship between the two clubs has also directly benefitted the 36ers.

Reply #47863 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

What a stupid headline post- 1 Swallow doesn't make a summer'
I hope you don't have sore Goolies Yogee as you make some great comments at times, then you seem to seem to jump back on the fence.
(PS BASA are segregated from Woodville Aren't they- you can level constructive suggestions now and then)

Reply #47878 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Of course, everyone's forgetting the 15,000 people who are going to be going to watch Adelaide Utd play instead (of which one of them will probably be me).

Reply #47894 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Oh, don't forget the Adelaide Show!

Reply #47895 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

Doc

can you drop that licence off at the first game?

Reply #47904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephon,

Juniors and Stadium hire account for more of the profit to BASA than the 36ers.

Pasadena alone makes $200K per year. The problem is that the money made from juniors goes into paying the people at BASA who do nothing for juniors. These people all work for the 36ers but the accounting practices don't show where money coming in goes too.

Also having a thriving junior level means that more people are involved in the sport, hence more people to go to the 36ers, since the clubs should feel ownersip of the 36ers. At least that was how it workde in the 1990's when we had sellouts.

This is why they should be a higher priority.

Reply #47907 | Report this post

On the outer  
Years ago

"Pasadena alone makes $200K per year."

Anon care to share what you know that makes you think this?? Trust me, you're way off no matter what you've been told.

Reply #47910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the budget our club got.

Reply #47913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe just sell the 36ers and then BASA could look after the juniors.ha ha ha

Reply #48239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754