Adrian
Years ago

Damian Martin's Story

Damian Martin's story is live on The Sports Source website and is an absolute cracker. Is there a nicer bloke in sport?

Enjoy the read!

http://www.thesportssource.com.au/home/a-life-changing-phone-call

Topic #41316 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard otherwise.

Reply #636503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well there you go. He is only in basketball now due to the efforts of Bevo. Maybe people will realise how important Bevo is to Aus basketball and Wildcats basketball through his past efforts.

Like I've said many times to all the deniers on here Gleeson is just going off of the fumes of the foundation Bevo built. Remember Bevo came over with players like Martin and Knight after Razorbacks folded. So the core Aussies for a decade now of the 'Cats are the Razorbacks. His legacy started in Sydney and continues in Perth, albeit with another coach now in charge reaping the benefits.

Sick Falcons camp photo.

Reply #636505 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Sydney Spirit. Not Razorbacks.

Reply #636506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. They were signed in 2007 by West Sydney Razorbacks, then yes the name changed to Sydney Spirit. Bevo signed the two up for the 2007-08 season and coached a second season when the name change occurred. and your point was?

Reply #636507 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

"Like I've said many times to all the deniers on here Gleeson is just going off of the fumes of the foundation Bevo built. "

Newsflash, Bevo's fumes can recruit Ennis, Beal, Prather, Cotton and Brandt long after Bevo is gone. Scientists are currently determining how these fumes can transcend even time itself. If you happen to breathe some of this into your system, don't be alarmed, your ability to play defence will be unsurpassed.

Reply #636528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newsflash, it's hard to have such a long-term Aussie core in the NBL. Stepping into having such a core is gold. Buying imports is easy. If Bevo stayed he would have had imports around the Aussie core as well, because you know, have imports play for you isn't a unique facet of Gleeson's.

Reply #636533 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

"Buying imports is easy."

Yes...but buying good imports that have an impact is not.

Furthermore, I would put it to you that Bevo has a better cast of Aussies now and in the future than the Wildcats, namely :

Rhys Martin.
AJ Ogilvy
Tim Coenraad
Nick Kay
Oscar Forman
Mitch Norton
Cody Ellis

If they have that 'Aussie core', and buying imports is ubiquitous, why hasn't that translated into a championship?

Reply #636561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really clutching at straws there, Lovebroker.

Reply #636567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at naming every Aussie Illawarra has to try and trump Martin (an Olympic point guard)/Knight as locked in starters and then just having to add imports around them.

Reply #636569 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I was comparing Illawarra's Australian contingent to Perth's.

Yes Damo and Knight as important but so are the imports you put next to them.

When you put Andre Brown or DeAndre Daniels with that core, your success is limited. When you have James Ennis, Prather and Cotton the results are generally more palatable (to Perth's supporters).

Reply #636573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Which is the problem Bevo has at Hawks with budget imports. If at Cats he would have star imports, just as Gleeson does. Which was my point originally.

Reply #636574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Gleeson inherits best Aus core + Bendat import money yet somehow even though Bevo developed the Aus core from when they were teens Cats fans rip on him now. Gleeson walked into the perfect local player scenario and import money scenario.

Reply #636575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who were the top imports Bevo had at the Cats on Bendat money? He didn't recruit topline imports, he recruited guys that fit his system. Great Plan A but Neville has no Plan B.

No one is ripping on Bevo. Just saying that it's not as simple as Gleeson is riding Bevo's success.

Reply #636587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Bevo had less import money than Gleeson. Salary cap has increased recently plus Bendat spending is more aggressive now. You'll find a lot of Cats fans now will put down Bevo at any opportunity.

Reply #636589 | Report this post

BallBag  
Years ago

I think they are both very good and effective coaches. However, Bevo did not get it done after his first year. I'm sure Bendat is not wanting to hear reasons or excuses and if Gleeson doesn't get another one withing four years he'll go too. And none of Gleesons success should be credited to Bevo. A new coach comes in and everything old is new again.

Reply #636592 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they have that 'Aussie core', and buying imports is ubiquitous, why hasn't that translated into a championship?
A few points worth making in response:

They've gone closer than many teams.

They're working on a budget.

I'd say ownership is forcing Bevo's hands on more decisions than they should.

It's not a transcendent core though I think Ogilvy, Norton and Kay are decent options going forward. Ogilvy had a down year IMO. D Martin is league-best at his position or close to it. Knight is Ogilvy's equivalent at worst.

Put the Cats imports in the Hawks side and I think they would win it. Even just two of them. I didn't think Harris or Holyfield were very good, though Harris started really well.

Reply #636596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at all the salt in here

Reply #636608 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Exactly. Which is the problem Bevo has at Hawks with budget imports. If at Cats he would have star imports, just as Gleeson does. Which was my point originally."

Bevo has Rotnei Clarke (an MVP), for 2 years, I wouldn't call him budget.

At the Cats he did have at least one star import, a guy called Kevin Lisch.

Reply #636612 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And none of Gleesons success should be credited to Bevo.
Even though Gleeson took the same core, and defensively asked the team to talk him through Bevo's system so they could keep running it?

Bevo did not get it done after his first year.
He lost Shawn Redhage to injury late in the 2011 season, and Damian Martin for the 2013 grand final. Martin was also injured for the 2012 grand final.

Reply #636613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even though Gleeson took the same core, and defensively asked the team to talk him through Bevo's system so they could keep running it?"

Well at least one person gets it. Yay!

Reply #636615 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"So Gleeson inherits best Aus core + Bendat import money yet somehow even though Bevo developed the Aus core from when they were teens Cats fans rip on him now."

You make it sound like Bevo had Damo earmarked for the Wildcats from the start. Bevo was the NSW Institute of Sport coach, that was his job to find and develop talent.

I'm not a Cats fan, I've seen no one 'rip on' Bevo. Maybe you need to re-read what you read?

Reply #636616 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I believe Bevo had less import money than Gleeson. Salary cap has increased recently plus Bendat spending is more aggressive now. "

So you freely concede that the salary cap has gone up (for the entire league) so what is the point of saying Bevo had less money to work with? Thats a given with a smaller cap.

Can you provide proof of how Bendat is "spending is more aggressive now." now?

Reply #636617 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"They've gone closer than many teams."

True.

"They're working on a budget."

Potentially.....but the league's minimum spend is $900k, of a $1m cap. Without the league's numbers we'll never know the true picture.

"D Martin is league-best at his position or close to it. Knight is Ogilvy's equivalent at worst."

AJ is All NBL first team, whilst (in your words) having a down year. Knight is not the equivalent of AJ especially when you consider the injury factor.

"Put the Cats imports in the Hawks side and I think they would win it. Even just two of them. I didn't think Harris or Holyfield were very good, though Harris started really well."

That's been my point, its all good and well to say Bevo put the Wildcats in good stead but a good Aussie core has to be complemented by good imports. And apologies to that poster but I just don't subscribe to the Bevo's fumes thing.

Reply #636619 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Even though Gleeson took the same core, and defensively asked the team to talk him through Bevo's system so they could keep running it?"

New Zealand were 2nd in the league in defence whilst 1st place on the ladder in 2012/13 under Lemanis. In 2013/14 NZ were dead last on defence (yes, even worse than Adelaide). Why is it that Vickerman couldn't just learn defence from Lemanis especially when Vickerman was right there when Lemanis was coaching?

Again between 2015/16 and 2016/17 NZ regressed on defence. Why is it that Henare couldn't just learn defence from Vickerman especially when Henare was right there when Vickerman was coaching?

Shit if its that easy, why not doesn't everyone just hire Bevo for 1 year, then hire Joey Wright for 1 year, then hire some SEABL juniors coach to take over. Every team will have an impenetrable defence and an unstoppable offence.

Reply #636621 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

New Zealand were 2nd in the league in defence whilst 1st place on the ladder in 2012/13 under Lemanis. In 2013/14 NZ were dead last on defence (yes, even worse than Adelaide). Why is it that Vickerman couldn't just learn defence from Lemanis especially when Vickerman was right there when Lemanis was coaching?
Because Lemanis's defence was largely predicated on beating people up, and in 2014 the league seriously cracked down on that sort of thing. And Dillon Boucher retired.

Reply #636622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

/thread

Reply #636628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Knight is not the equivalent of AJ especially when you consider the injury factor.
Over the last few years, I would've picked Knight ahead of Ogilvy. Knight is underrated.

Ogilvy was first team in a year without many stand-out centres, I think was the general consensus during the season.

Reply #636634 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

"Because Lemanis's defence was largely predicated on beating people up, and in 2014 the league seriously cracked down on that sort of thing. And Dillon Boucher retired."

I'm willing to concede Boucher was a significant part of NZ defence but it would not contribute to such a major drop.

As for the 'crackdown', it too took place, but why is it that the Wildcats remained at the top of the defensive rankings when the same accusations of defensive bump and grind bullies were constantly cast upon them? Surely Gleeson would have the same challenges as Vickerman if what you say is true and they just copy and paste the defensive schemes from their predecessor under the new 'no-holding' refereeing regime.

Reply #636646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Summary of this thread...

"Bevo is the greatest and Gleeson has had nothing but luck go his way!"
"Well, thats not exactly true..."
"OMG Cats fans are hating on Bevo, they are the worst!"

Reply #636652 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, that is unfair. I think someone said something about Damian Martin.

Reply #636656 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As for the 'crackdown', it too took place, but why is it that the Wildcats remained at the top of the defensive rankings when the same accusations of defensive bump and grind bullies were constantly cast upon them?
They won a championship in the prior crackdown year of 2010.

Reply #636663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note to self: stop reading Lovebroker's posts.

Reply #636670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:34 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754