Lukosius
Years ago

WA SBL - June 2017

Here is the new SBL thread for June.....

Topic #41359 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

June is here...

Reply #637253 | Report this post

Red 74  
Years ago

What happened to Barrow at the all star game? Only 5 seconds court time when starting?

Reply #637280 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Seemed to get injured in the 3rd quarter Buccs vs Giants game last night in Geraldton, and didn't return. Injury didn't seem too serious and he seemed to be walking fine after the game.

Maybe he thought he would give it a crack for the All-Star game but just didn't feel right after 5sec?

Reply #637287 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

It appeared ceremonious and planned. The refs called for a stop in play following a shot - it wasn't even a dead ball

Reply #637292 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Makes sense then.

Gets injured the night before but still does the right thing by not pulling out of the game altogether.

Reply #637295 | Report this post

Red 74  
Years ago

Was there many spectators? In the photos I've seen the far side of the court seating was empty

Reply #637296 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The permanent stand was pretty full all the way to the back.

The women's game was a bit of a waste of time. Women in an all-star environment - usually known more for athleticism than basketball - is a bit odd to begin with, but it could've at least been competitive.

Makes sense then.

Gets injured the night before but still does the right thing by not pulling out of the game altogether.
This was my thought, given how quickly it happened and that nobody seemed at all concerned about him afterwards. I suspect the Wildcats did the same thing with Billy Keys in their 30th Anniversary game - they started with the same five that started their first game ever (or so they claimed), then subbed Keys out immediately.

Not sure why you're saying that's the "right thing", though - if he's not going to play does it matter whether he's officially participating or not? They may have been able to give that spot to someone who could actually go.

Reply #637297 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

It was more of a dig at some of the players who have pulled out (this year and the past) due to "soreness", "resting" or "management".

Considering what the Buccs and Giants players endured this weekend, my sympathy is lacking in some ways....

Reply #637299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could have named a worthy replacement for Barrow though..

Reply #637302 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Let's remember he got injured around 9pm on Sunday night, and the All-Star game was 2pm the next day, and with travel, accommodation etc, all organised.

Maybe he thought he would see how he went in warm-ups.

Reply #637307 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

He did see how it went in warm ups but was still abit sore so they made the decision to start him then sub him off immediately. If you were there when the courtside announcer was interviewing Lackovic before the game you would have heard him having a dig at Barrow. No one wants to further aggravate an injury during an exhibition game.

Reply #637312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was half sarcasm Luko~. Definitely appreciate the timing made that difficult

Reply #637313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was a really good game with high standard of play,best all-star game so far.

Reply #637322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt, so much more enjoyable to watch than the NBA all star game

Reply #637323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barrow was the real MVP and like Lukosios said, he had to travel to Kal, travel back, drive to Perth, drive back. Well done to him because finding a cover, on the day of the event, would have been so challenging, though I'm sure there's a few on here that would have put their hands up.

Ray Turner, what a champion when he turns it on.

South core of Armour, Field, Scott, Nichols and Holmen have really forged a close knit which is evident when they play, helping them 3-peat. Best omission from this event was Ben Ettridge, and awesome to see Coach Lackovic and Coach Black actually getting the boys to play.

Reply #637326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The struggles of the Redbacks with their full team together is interesting to watch. There might not be enough ball for a team with that many players needing to get their numbers. Not that they are selfish but they have so many scorers it will be tough to keep everyone happy.

Reply #637405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is SBL SLAM?

Reply #637407 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The struggles of the Redbacks with their full team together is interesting to watch.
I wouldn't call a one-point overtime loss to the top team 'struggling', which leaves you with basically 'they had one bad game'. Which is utterly unremarkable.

Reply #637442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Havent they only won like 1 in the last 5 or 6 games?
And against one of the bottom teams?

Reply #637445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage was away.

Reply #637446 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Havent they only won like 1 in the last 5 or 6 games?
The original claim was 'with their full team together', which only includes the last two games.

Redhage was away.
Yes, he went over to the US for a few weeks as stated in a previous month's thread. They just keep putting his name on the box score and filling in random numbers, in the hope people won't realise he's away, so they don't lose out on ticket sales. Have to afford that massive $40,000 salary of his, after all!

Reply #637447 | Report this post

Biased Adviser  
Years ago

I wouldn't call a one-point overtime loss to the top team 'struggling', which leaves you with basically 'they had one bad game'. Which is utterly unremarkable.

They lost to the Suns, lead by a rookie coach with 0 experience.

Reply #637449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said Redhage was away for part of it, so sorry that I didn't specify that it wasn't for the whole stretch of time, rude koberulz.

Reply #637473 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would you expect to have received a different response if you had specified?

Reply #637479 | Report this post

RobeKulz  
Years ago

Brutha from anutha motha Kobez, stik to postin bs about the wildcats mate and leaf tha sbl talk to us smart peepz... word!

Reply #637480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, since you are rude regardless. So point taken!

Reply #637486 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You posted a blatant lie, the third such post regarding Redhage by an anon in the last month or so.

You want a polite response, post something worthy of one.

Reply #637493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm first time I've posted about it.

Someone said Redhage was away so I assumed it was correct.

So that was false? ok

Didn't realise. Why would someone lie?

Reply #637502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I guess their losing streak is worrying then if Redhage was there the whole time...

Reply #637503 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So that was false? ok

Didn't realise. Why would someone lie?
You must be new here.

I'm not sure how you read my original reply as anything but a statement that his absence and salary were complete works of fiction.

Reply #637523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Why do you comment on Redhage being away if you dont actually know if its true or not. Redhage is going away. He hasnt left yet. People were speculating he was out a few weeks ago, but he was not.

Reply #637534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm not sure how you read my original reply as anything but a statement that his absence and salary were complete works of fiction."

Umm what? That's exactly how I read it. Baffling why people were lying about him being already gone. Only a casual SBL follower, so took the anon's word on it. Weird.

Reply #637548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redbacks only got 50 shots total against the suns. Splitting that up across Roberts, Vigor, Redhage, Nelson, Smith.. 8-12 shots each.

Reply #637553 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Where has SBL Slam disappeared to?

And no SBL Players of the Round last weekend??

Lift your game, SBL.

Reply #637565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL slam is down because Matt Cecins is quite ill at the moment.

SBL POTW is down because SBL are lazy

Reply #637569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a truly uninspiring game which never reached any great heights, Rockingham men went on a 25 - 8 run in the last five minutes to defeat the Magic by 3 tonight. Even with 2:03 left, they still trailed by 12 & had Jack & Kernich Drew out for the rest of the game. Both teams back up tomorrow with the Magic hosting Cockburn, whilst the Flames head up to Kalamunda to take on the Suns

Reply #637577 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

lol Why do you comment on Redhage being away if you dont actually know if its true or not.
I know with 100% certainty that the claims 'Redhage was away' and 'Redhage headed to the USA for 6 - 8 weeks effective immediately' (on May 9) weren't true.

I don't need to know whether or not he's going away at some point in the future, that's not what's being discussed.

Reply #637621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all know it with 100% certainty bud. He was still here.....

Reply #637663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it seems like the Wolves new import has a few struggles at the free throw line???

Reply #637670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Open year this one.

Slammers going well.
Imagine if they had Ben Smith.

Reply #637672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay tuned for Wade Guerin to be given his orders...

Replacement is a 6'10 PF 2016 Southern All Star

Reply #637687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So that could only be Cooper Land or TJ Hallice. Cooper Land was injured and took a job in the states, correct me if i'm wrong?

Hallice also working in the states.

Reply #637688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many game u need to qualify?

Guerin is free for them so they will keep him

Reply #637692 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

Won't be Land, he has definitely taken an Assistant job at Rogers State University in Oklahoma

Reply #637693 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

You have to play 9 games to qualify for the playoffs. The Wolves have 10 to go, and that includes a double-header this weekend.

If they were to get another import in (and have him play finals), he would have to be here this week and fully cleared to play.

Reply #637694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sounds like someone is talking shit.

Reply #637695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Goode is in the state

Reply #637696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to his Facebook, Marcus Goode is in Karratha as we speak

Reply #637697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someones seen Daniel Alexander walking around the city this week lol

Reply #637698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well we're more than half way through the year..

Which MSBL & WSBL coaches are safe? who gets a pass mark? Who should be worried at years end?

MSBL SAFE
Willetton
Joondalup
Geraldton
South West Slammers

MSBL pass
Perry Lakes
Goldfields
Cockburn
Stirling

MSBL concern
Rockingham
Kalamunda
East Perth
Lakeside
Mandurah
Perth (sure with this line-up it's his last chance at success.. you only get so many attempts, right?)

Reply #637699 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He would be in fine nick then.....

Reply #637700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alexander was visiting. SEABL had a week off this weekend.

Reply #637701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On another note, I hope the SBL aren't paying much to SportsTG for their statistics management. It's been an absolute joke this year. The stats for both SBL and the WABL program have been jumbled up all year. Slow to update, incorrect and really really confusing to interpret.

Reply #637702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Goode has been in Karratha since January. If he was going to get a clearance and a gig somewhere it would have happened by know. Also he wasnt an All star

Reply #637703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First year coaches at Mandurah and Rockingham should mean both of them are safe, I mean you can't expect miracles after only one season! Lakeside are a very young squad so one would suspect Oatman is safe there for another year at least. Same can be said for Joe Alan at EP, all the players clearly believe in his system so it would be stupid to ruin that belief in the playing group by getting a new head coach. Kalamunda are the key in that list. How long can the Suns board let Clarke have sub-par performances for before its too late? They have gone backwards this year and desperately need a long term coach with a focus on developing their local kids urgently. Otherwise A Bowler and Co would be better off taking their license and giving it to Albany or back to the Mustangs!

Reply #637704 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The question on everybody's lips is..... what the hell is Marcus Goode doing in Karratha?

Reply #637705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ haha you beat me to it.

Reply #637707 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You would have to think it is something to do with snatch. And I don't mean the movie.

Reply #637708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Goode trying to satisfy working visa conditions one would assume..

EP & Lakeside on the other hand, sure they're going okay, but are either one doing enough to get them to the next level?

Reply #637709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#637708 haha amazing

Reply #637710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

setty is only 6-8"

Reply #637724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves miss Davis too much, he was perfect fit for them (on court).
They cant win it.

Buccs - Are a chance, as they are every year but come finals just cant seem to get it done for what ever reason, whether its the lack of depth Im not sure with 40minute games it could be the year.

Tigers - Not going as well (even though getting the wins) as I would of thought, with Cody playing restricted minutes they have literally 4 players.

Redbacks - Must be favourites with the list they have, Lacko's too lose really.

Reply #637733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers really really need a decent back up big. The loss of JJ has hurt.

Wolves should have used the Guerin spot to get a legit 3 man import. Or a PG if they weren't comfortable with Ben's health. Pretty much anything that wasn't Guerin.

Reply #637736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves pissed it away when they parted with Davis.

Reply #637755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams in 2017 are not as strong as 2016

Reply #637766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40mins lower the standard. 48min era in NBL was much more enjoyable than now.

Reply #637767 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

40mins lower the standard.
How?

Reply #637771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz are you based in WA?

Do you have any involvement (spectator/support) in SBL.

Just curious.

Reply #637773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a spectator.

Reply #637779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it seems that this season any team that gets in front by 1-12 can usually hold that lead till the end. In prior season the extra 8 mins of game time allowed a team to work its way back. Have watched a few games this season where the team coming from behind has had all the momentum but finished a few points short. But its here to stay and every team has to adapt.

Reply #637790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell that to Mandurah haha

Reply #637793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"seems that this season any team that gets in front by 1-12 can usually hold that lead till the end"

Wow so the team that leads usually ends up winning. Genius.

Reply #637794 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

it seems that this season any team that gets in front by 1-12 can usually hold that lead till the end.
Is that supposed to say '11-12', or are you genuinely saying that in a 40-minute game it's impossible to come back from being down by a single point?

Assuming it's a typo...comebacks from those sorts of margins aren't particularly common even in 48-minute games.

Have watched a few games this season where the team coming from behind has had all the momentum but finished a few points short.
There are plenty of those games in the NBA and in past years of the NBL and SBL, too.

Reply #637795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were more comebacks in the 48min NBL era. Ruined by 40min. No surprise now with it happening to NBL too. So boring, bball is a short game as it is and now becoming shorter.

Reply #637800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL too*

Reply #637801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz please dont wreck our little forum

Reply #637813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes ment to read 10-12 points. Last season there were some massive comebacks in games were teams made adjustments or the other team gassed. This season its much easier for a team to jump another early and just cruise home. Now dont get me wrong their have been some games were teams have comeback and won, but its not happening as much as in the past

Reply #637819 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There were more comebacks in the 48min NBL era. Ruined by 40min.
[citation needed]

Last season there were some massive comebacks in games were teams made adjustments or the other team gassed. This season its much easier for a team to jump another early and just cruise home.
Have you considered that last season may merely have been an outlier?

Large comebacks are rare, but they're more memorable than games with no comeback, so you'll overestimate them if you're just guessing.

And of course the SBL had more big comebacks in the 48-minute era than they have in the 40-minute era...the former is 27 and a half years longer.

Reply #637830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, please take note of anonymous 637813 and don't wreck our little forum.

Reply #637854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I stopped reading other posts (mainly NBL) because of him.
I didn't complain I just stopped reading.

But I like the SBL forum and we were all here first so hope he can annoy elsewhere.

Reply #637859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck with that.

Reply #637860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ hahaha its nearly been 2 hours KR free so maybe.....

Reply #637861 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

Xs and Os is on a temporary Hiatus, Altho suggestions as to who I should get on next would be appreciated! Lets go a bit old school and look at this weeks games shall we...

WOLFPACK @ HEADQUARTERS (FRI 8:30pm BENDAT BBALL CENTRE)
Wolves 2017 alot like the Hawthorn of 2017, they've lost that aura of invincibility about them. Is there any coincidence that a couple of their losses this season has been when Trigger is away?! Ettridge might say no but it can't be ignored! Despite a bit of pre-season talk, the Hawks have under-performed under their new coaching staff and any hopes of Finals action will need to see them win this or at least make it go down to the wire after losing a very winnable game against the Giants up in Kal last weekend. Wolves to all but pluck the last feathers out of the Hawks season, winning by 14

FLAMES @ THE CHURCH (FRI 8:30pm LAKESIDE REC CENTRE)
Very interesting game here as my boys head north to South Lake to take on a Lakeside team just below them on the ladder. Massive weekend for the Flames last week, getting the double header win and significantly increasing their chances of pinching one of the bottom spots in the 8 come August. Make or break weekend for the Lightning, who have to back up down in Mandurah on Saturday night after what should be a very close affair here. Whoever loses this one effectively makes it nigh on impossible to make the finals... Flames to make it three in a row, winning by 5

SENATORS @ COUGAR DEN (FRI 8:30pm) **Game Of The Week**
Strange Week 13 for the Hammy Hill boys, suffering a very rare double digit loss on their home floor, before getting a comfortable win the next night on the road over the Magic. Nener, Hoody & Davo will want that inconsistency to fall in their favor here, or risk falling lower on the ladder where its as close as a cockroaches first four letters if you get my drift for one of those remaining Top 8 spots! Speaking of inconsistency, that is probably the best way to describe the Senators season to date. Have a talent laden roster, yet for whatever reason Mike's charges just can't seem to put it all together on a regular basis. This corresponding fixture last year seen a Cody Ellis Masterclass in the 3rd and 4th quarter... if that happens again, expect the same result. Senators to make it two wins in as many years at The Den, winning by 2!

SLAMMERS @ GERO (SATURDAY 7:30pm EIGHTH ST STADIUM)
Alot to like about the Buccs this year. Whilst they're not blowing teams out like in seasons past, they are doing just enough to keep on getting those Ws and Ray Ray & Duke have the Midwest Motley Crew set for yet another tilt at 'Bob'. Speaking of impressive, how good has Coach Nix's return to his hometown been since taking the coaching reigns down there this year! Currently sitting in fifth place and two massive wins last weekend will have Tre '2017 MVP' Nichols and co confident as all heck of pulling off the upset on Saturday night. Should be a great game played in front of yet another packed house at Eighth St Stadium in what should definitely be a finals like atmosphere. Buccs to get up in a classic, defeating a gallant Slammers side by 3.

SUNS @ GOLDFIELDS (SATURDAY 7:30pm BROOKMAN ST STADIUM)
I went up and watched the Suns last Saturday night when they hosted Rocko. The coach in me gets what they're trying to do up there, but as the age old saying goes you need to have the cattle to run a system such as Coach Clarke is trying to implement up in the Hills and giving up consecutive open layups CAN NOT be a part of that system if it is to be successful. Goldfields host the Suns and although they only have one more win than their rivals, they do have three games in hand and also have a couple of absolute studs on their roster. If the youngsters and role players on the Giants side can do their bit in this one, they should have too much for Kalamunda to contain. Giants to win a scrappy one by 11

EAGLES @ JOONDALUP (SATURDAY 8:00pm JBS)
Wolves backing up after taking on the Hawks on the road on Friday night, host a fresh East Perth outfit who will be looking to improve on their current tenth spot on the League Ladder heading into this weeks games. Coach Tupaea's troops will be buoyed by their upset win over the Tigers last weekend, and being their only game of the weekend taking on a somewhat fatigued Wolves side, will be confident of making it two upsets in as many weeks. K Davis returns to his old stomping grounds, and if Drew nails his first couple, a shootout could ensue. Wolves to have too much depth for a cagey East Perth, winning by 8

LIGHTNING @ MANDURAH (SATURDAY 8:00pm MANDURAH AQUATIC)
Very tough double header for the God Squad, backing up from hosting the Flames on Friday night to head down to the Peel region to take on a Magic side who will be ruing that loss to the Flames last Friday night, after being up by double digits with just two minutes remaining in that local derby. Mandurah with finals aspirations all but gone, but they can also end those same aspirations for other teams and that starts here with this clash against the Lightning. Hard to see who from Lakeside can stop Mulley and so I will pick the Magic in an upset of sorts, ending the God Squads season by 7 points

REDBACKS @ STIRLING (SATURDAY 8:00pm WARWICK STADIUM)
Would have gotten my nod for Game of the Week status had this been both sides first game of the weekend, but alas Stirling on the back end of a double header and a very tough one at that after what I expect to be an extremely physical and fiery affair down in Hammy Hill the night before. Perth impressive without being the powerhouse their playing list would make you believe they could be, and S Redhage proving he is still an absolute beast albeit with some assistance on occasions from the whistle blowers! ;-) Perth being the fresher side to go in as favorites here and deservedly so as I expect them to get the W here by 12 points

TIGERS @ MANDURAH (SUNDAY 2pm MANDURAH AQUATIC)
Rare home double header here for Coach Trahair and his Magicians, but it comes against a Willetton side who won't have played before this one over the weekend unlike his players, and who will be I imagine a tad peeved off after going down to the Eagles on the road last weekend. For the Magic to have any hope here they need three things to happen - 1) Turner & Bowie to be blinded by the green surroundings at MARC... 50% chance of occurring; 2) Will McNeil to have a career night against the Tigers Guards as Mulley, Fletch & Remmers will have their hands full with Turner & Bowie... 30% chance of happening; 3) Willetton to think they've already won this before they step on the floor... 10% chance of happening but stranger things have occurred. Tigers to be too fresh, too polished and just too good - winning by 18 points.

Reply #637867 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

SUNS @ GOLDFIELDS

.... @ Kambalda

;)

Reply #637868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kambalda is in the Goldfields

;)

Reply #637872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Redhage for the next six games

Reply #637873 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBA Win Probability Box Scores

In game five, the Warriors go up 11 with almost half the second quarter still remaining, and their win probability is over 75%.

In game four, the Cavs hit a double-digit lead at 16-5 just three minutes into the game and their win probability cracks 67%.

Double-digit comebacks just aren't a thing that happens all that frequently even in a 48-minute game, so to deride a 40-minute game for lacking them is absurd.

By similar logic, 40-minute games have less chance of blowing out, and should therefore be better.

Reply #637909 | Report this post

Years ago

100% agree with koberulz.

the group that just keeps trying to cry on about 48mins is using trump's theory of 'alternative facts' to make it sound like it use to be better. Without actually backing it up with a legitimate reason.

40 minutes here to stay. SBL clubs are not losing any more money being shorter, and you could argue they are in fact a margin more.

And as for the SBL being boring now. It was always boring, its the state league, it sucks. Have to been to Kalamunda? Go once... never go again.

Reply #637914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why are you quoting the NBA stats? Has nothing to do with the SBL. Dont try and tar every league with the same brush. Go to some game and watch for yourself. Last few seasons there were a lot of games where teams had big leads but couldnt hold onto them and lost in the last few minutes.Already this season have seen teams rally and come storming back into games only to fall a play or two short. There is less fatigue amongst the players and they dont bend under pressure anywhere as much as over a 48 min game. Im not saying the 48 is better at all either. I merely stated that it takes another element of coaching and game play out of the mix.

Reply #637919 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I say they should switch to 20 min halves ;)

Reply #637921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone been drug tested yet? After all the big deals made in the pre season?

Reply #637924 | Report this post

Rosenbergi  
Years ago

I would suggest KobeRulz is using NBA stats because you're arguing the point about 48 minute games compared to 40.

Considering the NBA is the only league to use 48 minute games, he doesn't really have any other options.

Reply #637925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48min gives more time for comebacks. 8mins more, fact.

Reply #637934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a greater test of stamina.

Reply #637935 | Report this post

Zzzzzz  
Years ago

On the other hand 8 mins more gives more time for blowouts as well.
It's a ridiculous argument.

Reply #637973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? I'll take more blowouts along with the chance of more comebacks than the 40min turbo format.

Reply #637977 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which do you think you'll get more of?

Reply #637978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blowouts like duh obviously, kid. The better team has more time to win so there are less outliers.

Kind of cute of you to assume I'd say 50/50 or comebacks. Nice try/trap... not.

Reply #637980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and it's a trade off I'll take. The better team has more time to make a comeback, as yearned for above.

Reply #637981 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kind of cute of you to assume I'd say 50/50 or comebacks. Nice try/trap... not.
It wasn't a trap, it was a rhetorical question.

Reply #637987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So which out of the following scenarios would be considered as the best flop of the season should it happen?

A: Perry Lakes missing the finals or being bundled out (again) in the first round considering (technically) they have 3 x imports and bought in 2 x time COTY Parsons.
B: Perth not winning the Championship with Roberts, Redhage and Vigor.
C: Stirling missing the finals with 1 x import and 3 x NBL players (yes, I'm inc DP players).

Reply #638037 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

B. Every day of the damn week, if whacko lako can't win with that lineup - especially when you add two gun guards in wagner and smith, as well as two outstanding youngsters in Bowen & Stone - then that is the biggest flop not just of the season but probably in the last decade.

Reply #638038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Post.

When Stirling signed highly credentialed Naymick many thought minimum top 4 finish.
3 x NBL players, Import and solid local juniors in Litterick and Coburn, plus a couple vets in Witts/Bruton.
They should be doing a lot better.

Redbacks will have no Redhage for next 6 weeks, but he will be well rested and back for finals.
Really is the Redbacks to lose this year.
If Lacko messes this up they must move on and get a new coach and fresh start for 2018!

Reply #638041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

B- That squad on paper is loaded and should be more than capabale of winning.They just dont have the right mix of players.

Perry Lakes have been very inconsistent but a lot of that can be down to injuries. Friday was the first time they have had anything resembling a full squad all season. They need another off season of change to combat the bad habits from previous years.

Stirling may have 3 NBL players but we are talking about fringe guys. They still need to grow as a group. Think since Naymick has come in they havent used their young big Litterick enough. They are never really considered a title chance though. They are a playoff team in that 5-8 spot but nothing more.

Reply #638050 | Report this post

Biased Adviser  
Years ago

I think everyone will be surprised with how the Redbacks play with no Redhage. The ball moves a lot more, they don't play through one player, and Roberts (one of the most competitive guys the L has seen) makes everyone around him lift. Marshall Nelson also playing out of his mind lately. I agree with the above however, that if they don't win the chip it will be incredibly embarrassing. You're not going to get a better line up than that in the SBL.

Reply #638056 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

B. Every day of the damn week, if whacko lako can't win with that lineup - especially when you add two gun guards in wagner and smith, as well as two outstanding youngsters in Bowen & Stone
Bowen and Stone have both departed. Bowen a week or so ago, Stone significantly longer than that.

They'd be scary if they ever got a settled lineup: they've spent or will spend significant time without Bowen, Stone, Redhage, Roberts, Vigor, Nelson, and Viskovich, as well as having Loughton play a brief stint at the start of the year.

Reply #638058 | Report this post

/.  
Years ago

KOBERULZ, are you a perth supporter, You seem to know a lot about them.

Reply #638059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where has bowen and stone gone to. also I cant see young alex ducus hanging around for long either. he is a talented youngster not sure if any colleges are looking at him yet either ?

Reply #638065 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

Alex Ducas is off to the AIS/Basketball Centre for Excellence.

Reply #638069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of talented youngsters word is Sherville will be heading to College as well.

Reply #638071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stirling have also recently added veteran ex Perry Lakes and Lakeside player, Jesse Dixon

Reply #638111 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

Cougars @ Headquarters - Fri 8:30pm
If 4th - 10th wasn't so close, you could make an argument that the Hawks really need to start winning some games if they want to see August Action with only five weeks remaining of the regular season. The fact that they have 9 games over that stretch means its not panic stations just yet, but it is not far off for Parso's squad. That being said they did knock off the Wolves last week and that in itself is no mean feat. Here they welcome the reigning champs who are also coming off a handy win over the Senators last weekend, and will want to keep those Top 4 aspirations alive with a road win in this one. TOUGH ONE TO CALL, BUT I WILL GO WITH THE COUGARS BY 7

Senators @ The 'Ham - Fri 8:30pm
Yours truly not behind the mic this weekend due to work commitments but this should be one of the games of the week. Both these sides match up extremely well and it would not surprise me to see this one head into at least one Overtime period. Rocko on somewhat of a roll at the moment, whilst Stirling are there abouts like always but should never be underestimated. SHOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE BALL TEARER DOWN IN THE TEENAGE PREGNANCY CAPITAL OF WA, I WILL LEAN TOWARDS MY FLAMES BOYS TO GET UP IN A CLASSIC... WINNING BY 3

Slammers @ The Eagles Nest - Fri 8:30pm
Fair to say for the Eagles it win or bust from here on in unless those above them can drop a couple of games to keep them in the Mix. A tough two point loss last week to the Wolves on the road didn't help their cause and they will need all the help they can get against one of the surprise packets of 2017 in the fifth placed Slammers. Nixy's boys pushed the Buccs up in the Midwest last Saturday night and despite not getting the W, the boys from Bunno will get alot of confidence from that game moving forward. THE QUESTION HERE IS WHO FROM THE EAGLES STOPS NICHOLS AND LAY.......... NOPE, EXACTLY I COULDN'T FIND AN ANSWER EITHER. SLAMMERS TO END THE EAGLES SEASON, WINNING BY 17

Wolves @ Gero - Saturday 7:30pm
Definitely a tale of two teams at completely different ends of the proverbial tangent at the moment. Joondalup struggling to beat nigh on anyone at the moment, head up to take on the Buccs who continue to show why they should be taken rather seriously as one of the genuine contenders this year. Joondalup will need two things to stand a chance in this one - have big games (20+) from two of their big three in Trian, Sebba & Rob... as well as keep the League's loudest and most feral crowd quiet or at a minimum out of the game, for as long as possible. THE WOLVES KNOW HOW TO WIN IN THE MIDWEST, SO THIS COULD BE THE TYPE OF BACKS AGAINST THE WALL GAME THEY NEED TO REALLY GET BACK TO WHERE MOST EXPECT THEM TO BE AROUND THE TOP OF THE LADDER. BUT THEY DON'T CALL EIGHTH ST STADIUM THE FORTRESS FOR NOTHING AND YOU CAN BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR THE EMU EXPORT EXPERTS ON THE BALCONY ABOVE THE VISITORS BENCH WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE THEIR ADVICE WITH THE WOLVES PLAYERS AND COACHING STAFF. BUCCS TO GET UP IN A CLOSER ONE THAN SOME WOULD PREDICT, WINNING BY 9

Suns @ South West - Saturday 8pm
Kalamunda coming off a pretty big upset win over the Giants up in at Kambalda last Saturday night (Lukosius could be pulling the pin on any more games out there if that trend continues!) and would have to consider themselves a sneaky chance of two upsets in as many weeks up against a Slammers side who will be backing up after a trip to Morley the night before. I WILL GO AHEAD AND SAY THIS COULD BE THE HIGHEST SCORING GAME OF THE YEAR WITH DEFENSE TO BE JUST AN AFTERTHOUGHT. BOTH TEAMS TO REACH TRIPLE FIGURES, SLAMMERS TO WIN BY 19

Redbacks @ Mandurah - Saturday 8pm
59 points in a game won't win you many Women's games, let alone a Men's game. So that my Magic friends is what you boys at least have to beat this weekend... for personal pride if nothing else. Perth head down to the Peel region without their High Profile recruit in Redhage but ladder positions aside, I still think Lacko's boys will have way too much depth and polish for Trahair's troops here. THIS MIGHT BE EMBARRASSING... REDBACKS BY 30+

Lightning @ Goldfields - Saturday 8pm
Lakeside with their annual splash and dash trip to the Goldfields here (For those who don't know, the Lakeside boys travel back on the team bus straight after they play up there - crazy not to take in the nightlife that the 'Goorlie has to offer but meh, who am I to judge) Lakeside still with Finals aspirations, whilst for the Giants each game is with a view to 2018 now and to get some confidence back from their supporters who went out to see THAT result out in Kambalda last weekend. A WEEK IS A LONG TIME IN SPORT, AND COACH CAUSER AND THE GIANTS GET TO PROVE THAT HERE. TOUGH TO SEE THE LIGHTNING GOING DOWN THOUGH, WHICH IS WHY I WILL PICK THEM TO GET UP BY 12

Flames @ Willo - Saturday 8pm
A bruised and battered Flames side will head north to the Tigers Den to take on Blacky's boys who will be fresh and raring to go for this one. Depending on results up in the Midwest, Willo could go to the top of the Ladder with a win here, and maintain their two game gap between themselves and third. The clash between these two sides earlier in the season wasn't close and despite the addition of DKD to the Flames lineup since then, its hard to see that changing much here. WILLO TO MAINTAIN THEIR POSITION UP THE TOP LADDER, DEFEATING THE FLAMES IN THIS SOUTHERN DERBY BY 14

Eagles @ Cougar Den - Sunday 2pm
Both sides finishing Week 15 with the Sunday leg of a double header, having both played on Friday night. Huge weekend for both teams, even more so for the Cougars who if they win both could move into the Top 4 but if they lose both could get them as low as 7th. The stakes are more dire for the Eagles who if they lose both this weekend, it will be all but over for them. ANOTHER TOUGH ONE TO PICK AT THE END OF A WEEKEND, BUT I WILL GO WITH COCKBURN AT HOME TO GO 2-0 FOR THE WEEKEND, KNOCKING OFF THE EAGLES BY 11.

Reply #638293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks R@nD0m, great preview. Pity the Lakeside boys miss out on a few softies and a boogie in Kal!

Reply #638316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boogie?

Reply #638318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Lakeside are bible bashers so makes complete sense.

Reply #638319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kalgoorlie is the boogie capital of Australia.

Reply #638337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boogie

racists!

Reply #638340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lakeside traveled to Kalgoorlie on Friday and stayed the night. will also be staying saturday night and returning to perth on sunday.

Reply #638378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^any arrests?

Reply #638498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RACE TO THE MVP

Redhage: Must be the favourite at the moment. The time he is taking off at the moment could cost him the award though. Up to this point he would have 3 votes in all their wins and 2 votes in most of their losses.

Benjamin: Close second to Redhage, missed only one game but might have lost a few votes to others on his teams when he has had an off night. He if polls strongly while Redhage is away could he take the lead?

Turner and Bowie: These two are together, as individuals they are having MVP seasons. But unfortunately with the way the voting works they will steal votes from one another and cost themselves.

Holmen: Putting together another brilliant year but probably won't have the wins to get there. He also missed some time earlier in the year.

Nichols: Could be the darkhorse this year. A little down on production with the others on his team helping him out. But has the respect of the refs and the coaches to get some votes despite not having the 30+ explosions weekly. Bunbury have made a strong run.

Reply #638499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"^^^any arrests?"

loooool!

Reply #638505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the top 8 set?

Tough weekend for East Perth.
2 losses by 2pts hurts.
That sees them done for the year at 7-13.

So that leaves only Lakeside at Rockingham trying to force their way into the 8!

Lakeside have a tough draw home can't see them winning more than 2 or 3 games.
WOLVES, Senators, SLAMMERS, suns, GIANTS, HAWKS, TIGERS

Flames have only 5 games remaining.
Slammers, East Perth, HAWKS, SUNS, Giants
You would think 3 wins would be best case.
That gives them 12-14

Maybe Senators are the most vulnerable but they should get the 4 wins needed to secure a finals berth.
However head to head with Senators and Flames is locked up at one win each both by 2pts which may keep things interesting.

Reply #638510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe-Allen to move away from coaching at season's end?

Reply #638512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most vulnerable would be Perry Lakes Id say. They are only just in on percentage. They need to win at least 5 out of 8 to be a chance

Reply #638525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry Lakes -
You would expect them to get wins against Suns,Magic,Giants,Lakeside and even Flames

50/50's against Redbacks/Slammers

Lose to Buccs.

Reply #638537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They form they have been in this year you would expect it but it probably won't happen.

Reply #638546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TRE NICHOLS WILL BE THE M.V.P THIS SEASON.

Reply #638584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tre is a gun, but I think Vokel is just as or maybe more important to Slammers in turns of Wins and Losses.

Reply #638590 | Report this post

Biased Adviser  
Years ago

Voekel is the best import in the league. His impact on the game is streaks ahead of Tre, who's just a scorer. He opt's out on the defensive side of the floor.

Reply #638593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I question you about tre"s defence , there is always people who question scorers about their defence. not many defenders have won a mvp award period , that wont matter. all the top teams have people stealing votes from each other.
talking about brian voekel I would have paid money to watch him and Michael haney go at it.

Reply #638596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Voekel 13.57/16.29/9.14 @ 47%
Tre 25.88/4.29/3.12 @ 45%

Reply #638598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 3:
Most Valuable Players
Most Improved Players

Reply #638685 | Report this post

Biased Adviser  
Years ago

Top 3 MVP:
1. Benjamin
2. Turner
3. Redhage

Top 3 Most Improved Players:
1. Nelson
2. Shervill
3. Litterick

Reply #638687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nelson wont win MIP he has only played half a dozen games

Reply #638690 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Redbacks are piss weak without Redhage. Roberts and Vigor were manhandled by Carlwell tonight. He outbodied everyone. Adekponya is a top 5 guard in the SBL - he dominated tonight, triple-double to show for it. The game was over midway through the third. Hawks to be dangerous leading up to finals

Reply #638700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Lol um Hawks lost to Mandurah by 20 last night.

Reply #638743 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

A new thread for July has started here.....

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/41465

Reply #638755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754