Anonymous
Years ago

Why don't we send proper teams to 3X3 tournaments?

Embarrassing performance by the women we just sent, is it just a case of whoever may be available?

These are real events and I am sure we will look back wishing we has taken them seriously.

Topic #41413 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA dropping the ball yet again.

Reply #638114 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Who do you know of that was available, but wasn't selected?

Reply #638121 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

We are starting well behind the 8-ball on 3x3 and because of a lack of FIBA sanctioned competitions.

At the moment it is a given that we are unlikely to qualify any teams to compete at the Tokyo Olympics, which is a shame. As of today, our men rank 55th in the world, our women 42nd.

Reply #638125 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

These WC results reflect our low ranking in the professional 3x3 competitions. Nothing to do with the team selection.

Only players registered with the 3x3 league were eligible. Australia doesn't have any world class 3x3 players. FIBA's rankings show that Australia's highest female 3x3 player is 5,371st in the world points scored rankings.

Players' rankings are determined by their performances in eligible 3x3 events. A nation's ranking is determined by the total points in the last 12 months for its top 100 players.

Australia qualified 20th of 20 teams in the women's competition. Our federation points' total was 491,921, The 19th qualifier, Venezuela, had 771,190 points. The 1st qualifier, Hungary, had 3,272,595.

Australia only got in because the qualification rules set a maximum number of countries from any one continent (10).

Reply #638126 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

XY is right about the lack of sanctioned competitions being a factor. FIBA has handballed the development of 3x3 to the national federations and set up qualification criteria to encourage them to mount 3x3 competitions. Quote from FIBA:

"The 3x3 Federation Ranking not only rewards the elite performances of the players but also the 3x3 activity in the territory of each National Federation. The position in the 3x3 Federation Ranking is driven by the number of players and their playing frequency. The more events are organised the more likely players will accumulate points and increase the national federation's standing in the 3x3 Federation Ranking."

So BA just needs to put on lots of 3x3 competitions. Of course, doing that would cost money and that would have to come from sponsorship, government or local associations.

Reply #638127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you for the great posts, I'm learning a lot!

Reply #638128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic development by BA, yet again.

Reply #638130 | Report this post

Sage  
Years ago

It's great that you are learning a lot. You may want to re-evaluate your opening comment regarding an 'embarrassing loss'.

From a source close to BA high performance here are some facts:

1. Our girls received a couple of weeks' notice re their selection, they had no preparation, no team training and no coach.
2. They arrived in Europe less than 24 hours before playing 6th Ranked Ukraine, last year's silver medallists, gave a good account of themselves but lost. Fair to say they were finding their feet in a new competition.
3. Playing in 37 degree heat they then won against China and Japan ranked 12th and 15th and then played magnificently against the 3rd Ranked, unbeaten team from Netherlands.
4. Lost heartbreakingly in OT.
5. Amelia Todhunter, Carly Mijovic, Rebecca Cole and Nadine Payne represented their country with honour. To say they gave their all for our green and gold would be an accurate description.

BA and our high-performance department have not had a focus on 3x3 basketball and use the resources they have to fund all of our other national teams. No doubt an expensive process. Given that FIBA 3x3 has now been admitted to the Tokyo Olympics, perhaps BA will invest in this exciting form of Basketball.

There is an Asian Championship and a European Championship. The Europeans played in two tournaments and had training camps leading into the world championships, we didn't have a training session!

Probably a little unfair to label our wonderful women athletes embarrassing. They did the best they could for the green and gold of Australia. Proud would be a better description. But hey blogs are all about opinion, hope you are wiser - Sage.

Reply #638132 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great posts explaining the situation!

Reply #638133 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Very good posts. Spot on XY, PeterJohn & Sage.

However anyone can participate in the 3x3WC as long as they register on FIBA3x3 Planet and their country qualifies (and they are selected of course).

Our team sent were arguably the most inexperienced 3x3 team playing at the WC and were outstanding!

Times are changing, and with 3x3 now an Olympic sport, this needs to be reflected in how this form of the game is now managed in Australia moving forward. This is where CLB3x3 have gained traction and in essence helping boost Australia's ranking by actually organising and holding events! Needless to say more is needed.

Reply #638135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China had at least one player from last year's u17s team there so not sure about the inexperienced get out card.

And I'm not sure it's ok to say BA and high performance together anymore, kind of like saying fresh frozen these days.

Reply #638136 | Report this post

#aussiehoops  
Years ago

Absolutely spot on Sage, these women did a magnificent job given the conditions and all were just so proud to represent their country.
This game is as tough as nails and until you get out on the floor and experience it, only then will you truely appreciate just how phsically demanding it is and how there needs to months and years of preparation and not just weeks or even days.

LC, you are spot on and CLB3X3's activity, account for almost 70% of all 3x3 ranking points activity in Australia in the last 12 months.

PeterJohn, your points and info is great and almost spot on, although it is my understanding that the Aussie women were only there beacause NZ could not field a Womens team. NZ are ranked way ahead of Australia due to all their 3X3 activity, and therefore qualify to send both a Mens and Womens team, but do not have enough women playing to qualify.
Your given federation also has to rank in the top 50% of all federations in your region (i.e. Oceania) to qualify and NZ do and Aus do not (yet).

Reply #638140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA is already cash strapped, yet for some unknown reason the Opals will be training in Phoenix in the States for proximity to a full time paid part time coach who will not be participating, and now I wonder just how much money will go to developing 3-3 from the BA pot.

Reply #638143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when BA were first wanting to enter into the FIBA sanctioned 3X3 they had o hold an 3X3 comp, it was a national competition held in Sydney at Homebush , from this a mens and womens team was selected to go to Spain , our women finished with a bronze medal, our men finished near the top as well, and from memory NZ won....but could be wrong on that.
This was suppossed to be the start of the 3X3 comp, and their was another attempt to send a team , they also finished with a bronze..........now you would think with that success BA would invest in this comp, but it really only progressed with the junior teams, and even that was not consistent. BA looked at 3X3 as a non event. Meanwhile across the rest of the world it has become a huge vehicle to attract not only spectators to the sport but sponsors, All across Europe their are comps on that are well promoted and have a good following, and those players receive rankings.

BA wouldnt put any money into this part of the basketball area, and now you see the results.

As far as selection went for this event, it was made by the WNBL coaches they put their player of choice forward and a team was picked. Crazy considering its a world event, and the cost involved, You cant just pick a player because you like them, they need a skill set specific for 3X3, one of them is speed, the other the ability to change from offence to defense literally in a split second and control the tempo. Height is not a requirement, you do not need your tallest players but your fastest. You need ones who think quick and basically can play scrap ball at times, ones who like to hustle.
out of the four they sent probably only one player really fitted that and it was Toddhunter, the rest are not hustle players at all.

of course they will have no experience as they dont play the game, and they never will get experience while BA ignore the competition.
Dont blame the players for the result, they didnt pick themselves.

Reply #638145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is blaming the players, I think this thread has really got side tracked with that. If anyone did they are d!ckheads who have veered this thread off-track. It is all BA's fault, useless useless useless. Should be a Royal Commission into how pathetic BA are (ok, just kidding, not really, but you get my drift on how bad they are).

Reply #638152 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

I can understand BA putting more money into the opals. While the players available to be chosen have continued to be of very very high quality in all respects ( skills, attitude, athleticism etc), IMHO the results from both Graf and Joyce have been a clear level below, in both quality and consistency, than what was achieved under Maher and Stirling. Its almost back to the "did not Qualify" Cadee and Flynn days, whose "success " bars were set at the same Gaze Sr "Boomers" level of "we didn't lose by much - so we we successful"

Given that the funding was/is dependent upon WC and Olympic performances, I can understand the BA panic, as it will affect their individual salaries if we continue downwards.

That said, a medal in the 3x3 is still a medal and should have been treated as such in the BA budget and planning.

The players did well, BA - not so much.

Reply #638158 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

A good point very old - Olympic success in the 3x3 format could lead to an increase in funding for basketball generally, and if we turned our minds to it I suspect we could be pretty good at it. An opportunity missed.

Reply #638164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA surely will get more funding now in total as 3x3 is an Olympic sport. The question is will this show in results or an excuse for BA to piss more money up against the wall?

Reply #638167 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I doubt a world ranking in the 50's is going to lead to any additional funding at all. It would take us pulling out all stops to qualify any teams for Tokyo from here.

It is an atrocity that New Zealand, not to mention Japan, China, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Sri Lanka, Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar and the Philippines in the Asia region, all rank above us.

To use the OP's term, that is what is embarrassing.

Reply #638168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olympic funding should be there since it is an Olympic sport. Then from there you build your rank. If funding is due to ranking then it's the chicken or the egg? question which is a joke re: how the government funding works then.

Reply #638173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olympic funding should be there since it is an Olympic sport.
Wasn't it only just announced as an Olympic sport in recent weeks?

Reply #638196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Officially but has been widely known since late last year to be one of the Tokyo added Olympic sports.

Reply #638198 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Olympic funding is now linked to the likelihood of Olympic success (I.e. Medals). Modern pentathlon can expect a lot more funding than BA will get for the currently remote prospect we are going to qualify a team for 3x3 basketball.

Reply #638213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac my point was around the world sports get funding due to Olympic status. In Aus it's based on results, but how can you have results if there is no funding in the first place? So sports at the bottom continue to be there. So 3x3 will struggle with this crappy model in addition to BA's negligence so far pre-Olympic status. A double blow.

Reply #638217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been coaching in Australia for nearly 6 years now and am amazed at the nearly nonexistent 3x3 culture, be it indoors or outdoors. I live in Melbourne where courts abound, and no one ever plays on them. I am from Southern Europe and was lucky enough to play and coach in a bunch of European countries. Young European players learn a lot from playing 3x3, and do so mostly outdoors over the Summer and over the school holidays when their season breaks or pauses, and quite often on the day after their match. Can anyone provide any info or explanation as to why 3x3 never really took off in Australia?

Reply #638372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia has good weather all year round so we take it for granted. Therefore everyone stays indoors no matter what as there is no extreme cold coming. In Europe ppl max out their outdoor time during summer before winter.

Reply #638379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even indoors there does not seem to be too much of a 3x3 (or even pick up) culture. Local players tend to prefer the organised evening leagues. Most of the guys I meet playing pick up or 3x3 are from overseas and are all wondering the same thing. Re climate - I played in Southern Spain for a year, where the temperature never goes below 15-16 degrees. Every Sunday, the playgrounds were packed with players of all ages playing 3x3 or the occasional 5x5 all year round. This is not to say that one way is better than the other, I am just baffled that a basketball powerhouse like Victoria does not have much of a streetball, 3x3 or pick up culture.

Reply #638397 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Unlike others, I would not put it down to weather, well not fully.

We are one of the few countries where domestically, basketball is basically played all year round. In Europe you get some summer leagues but the real stuff is played over winter. In the US kids the elite stuff is more constrained - HS seasons basically.

We even confuse this with our elite leagues playing winter (Semi pro) and summer (pro).

It means that the groups who organise the mass participation of the game, and rely heavily on a 42 week calendar for revenue etc., are preoccupied with 5-5. That is not criticising them, it just reflects how the game is structured here.

What motivation is there for an organisation like Dandenong, who have a stadium to manage and maintain, and who have a elite teams to finance, to give up their time and court space for 3x3, especially when their financial model is built around 5-5 not just playing, but also paying stadium entry fees etc.

If I was a basketball administrator in this country, I would have, up until now, genuinely asked what was in it for me. Now of course, BA do have to seriously ask themselves this question. But everyone criticising BA for their inertia also need to take into account that up until a couple of weeks ago, their major funder was not the slightest bit interested in 3x3. BA had every reason to focus on 5-5.

Reply #638404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've spent time in Europe as well, in a country where basketball isn't that big yet all courts were taken up in summer with pickup games. It was amazing. Australia is an indoors country despite how we view ourselves.

Reply #638410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you for the replies - it explains a bunch of things. Any junior coaches here who use 3x3 as a development teaching tool for their players? I coach U12 and it really helps them with the understanding and acquiring of key fundamental concepts - spacing, timing, screens, rolls, pops etc.

Reply #638475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754