Isaac
Years ago

Gordon Hayward signs $128m/4y deal with Boston

Pretty tough on Utah but grows the threat of Boston in the East. Reunited with his college coach.

After seven years in Utah, I have decided to join the Boston Celtics.

I know that will be tough to hear for Jazz fans — and I really want you all to know that you mean the world to me and my family. Over the past few days, I've been genuinely torn. And I know that this process isn’t easy on the fans, either. So I just want to be as straight-up as possible about why I’m coming to Boston.

Full announcement

Topic #41477 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lure of Brad Stevens was too powerful. Not surprised.

Reply #638890 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wonder if the Jazz will now pull that contract offer to Ingles as they'll now be effectively rebuilding without Hayward & Hill?

Bit of a dog act by Hayward telling the Jazz he wanted to play with Rubio so they trade for him and now the possibility Ingles loses millions.

Reply #638905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Ingles' deal signed?

Reply #638908 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

Yeah he definitely is

Reply #638912 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

Personally, I still think LeBron could beat this Celtics team

Reply #638914 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Isn't Ingles' deal signed?

No he can't sign it until July 6.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-nba-star-joe-ingles-agrees-52-million-deal-to-stay-with-utah-jazz-20170702-gx2w34.html

Reply #638915 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

#betrayward

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/04/nba-fans-and-players-react-to-gordon-hayward-signing-with-celtics/

Even though Hayward is getting killed for this one good thing is it probably increases Sobey's or Creek's chances of making the team.

Reply #638917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"increases Sobey's or Creek's chances of making the team"

The Jazz are probably looking for someone good to replace Hayward, so no.

Reply #638920 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Of course but it does increase their opportunities.

Reply #638921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hayward betrayal? wtf, man that is harsh. The heat should still be on Durant, that fked the whole leauge in terms of competitiveness.

Reply #638923 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Free agents are free to go wherever they want, they have no moral obligation to stay with their old team. None.

I find all these notions of betrayal (LBJ to Heat, KD to GSW) quite silly.

As a Celtics fan, I am not really that happy with the acquisition. Our glaring deficiency is at PF.

At SF they already have Crowder (who is serviceable). Last year used #3 to draft Jaylen Brown. This year used another #3 to get Tatum. Now Hayward.

I know they wanted Paul George firstly but I can't help but think those draft pick were wasted as you could have now got Hayward / Crowder at SF.

Reply #638936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Betrayal etc. claims by fans are lame, agreed.

What perterbs me is Durant chocking to Warriors spectacularly then the next thing he does is join THAT team. Where is his pride?

Reply #638942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

choking*

Reply #638943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where is his pride?"

On the shelf next to his Finals MVP trophy.

Reply #638944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL... I would want to murder the Warriors the following season not join them.

Reply #638945 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm happy pretty happy with this. Hayward's not the final piece, but he can be a key player on a championship contender.

Lovebroker, I agree that the Celtics probably need one more really good big man, but there isn't one available right now. But they have a good shot at drafting one next year and Anthony Davis could shake free in a couple of years. In the shorter term, I'd like to see them trade for Favors if Utah don't want to pay him!

In the meantime, having Crowder, Brown and Tatum gives them three versatile wings that can switch and cover most positions on D. That's critical in the current NBA.

Tatum looked pretty good in his first Summer League game yesterday as well. He showed quick hands to force several steals and rebounded well early, before showing off his scoring ability with 11 points in the final quarter including the go-ahead game-winner in the last 10 secs.

Reply #638947 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

With Gordon Hayward now agreeing to a four-year $127M max contract, Celtics management now has a series of transactions to do in order to create cap space. The Celtics would have to pull the qualifying offer on Kelly Olynyk, renounce free agents Jonas Jerebko, James Young, Gerald Green and waive the contracts of Jordan Mickey and Demetrius Jackson (or trade). The Celtics would be left with $27.6M in room and likely need to move the contract of Jae Crowder, Terry Rozier or Marcus Smart. Trading Rozier would have the Celtics short $1M of a max salary a lot.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0674040322476479425-4

Reply #638949 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

This is a great get for the Celtics. In 4 years or so (or whenever LeBron leaves the league) they'll be well placed to be on top of the East. Until then they'll be really competitive for 2nd spot in their conference.

Reply #639021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is they're after Marc Gasol now.

Reply #639023 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The Celtics have to lose a few pieces to accomodate Haywards max, and that includes at least one rotation guy like Smart, Crowder or Bradley. Its smart to see if you can instead trade a bunch for another top quality player. Don't know if Memphis will be into it after maxing out Conley last year they don't seem to have much of a plan

Reply #639024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're talking sign and trade with Crowder going to Utah.

Olynyk renounced, Zeller gone, Johnson gone. Crowder going.
This team needs some front court help badly. As it is they've lost a lot of defence and hustle. I don't know that they are that much better right now than they were last year.

Ainge needs to get over his love affair with picks and actually trade one for an asset he can use right now.

Reply #639032 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Ainge realities that he can't get the pieces now to beat LBJ and co so he is keeping picks to draft and develop those guys to be ready for when LeBron leaves the league. Then the Celtics will have a shot in the East and perhaps a championship.

Reply #639056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754