CREEK Mitchell Adelaide 36ers
GLIDDON Cameron Cairns Taipans
HODGSON Matthew Adelaide 36ers
KAY Nicholas Illawarra Hawks
KICKERT Daniel Brisbane Bullets
McCARRON Mitchell Cairns Taipans
NEWLEY Brad Sydney Kings
NORTON Mitchell Illawarra Hawks
Interesting to see Hodgson get picked. Not only Wright who sees a future for him?

Topic #41557 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Ogilvy snubbed?

Reply #640697 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Ogilvy wasn't in the 20 man squad to begin with. Overall a good side given the players that weren't available.

Reply #640699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis and Ogilvy seriously need to break bread how long can you hold a grudge for

Reply #640705 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Ogilvy was told at the time what the repercussions of his actions would be and he chose to go against advice.

Reply #640706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know the story..
What did ogilvy do?

Reply #640707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still a lot stronger than the Tall Blacks squad listed today

Reply #640709 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah whats the Ogilvy story? It would be interesting to know a bit more!

Reply #640713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I third that. Ogilvy story please.

Reply #640739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very very bad team. all journeyman basketballers.

Reply #640752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boring squad

Reply #640760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament has nothing to do with World Cup qualification?

Reply #640761 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Fearnie will be playing his cards pretty close to his chest, as usual. He'll be trying not to let Bullets, United or Perth staff know who he's recruiting, because they will do their usual trick of waiting to see who he wants, then offering them more money.

This is not a knock on Perth, Melbourne or Brisbane - it makes sense to use the resources you have to the betterment of your team - rather, it's a nod to the recognition of Fearne's ability to spot talent (only to have it stolen away by richer teams!!!)

... and my tongue is fairly firmly planted in my cheek; you must never take these words too seriously!

Reply #640764 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ whoops! Wrong topic!

Reply #640765 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

As nice as it would be to win this tournament the selection of players renders it utterly useless from a development perspective. I mean, who out of this 12 has a future in the Boomers qualifiers? Very few I'd imagine once everyone gets healthy.

I know that isn't the coaching staff's fault - you get what you're given to work with. But still, this squad is going to play ugly, boring basketball and may actually be challenged by nations that shouldn't challenge it. It's just a shame we couldn't have Goulding, Sobey and Lisch to add a little bit of credibility to the team

Reply #640767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right, should be a development squad with u25s

Something like...

Naar
Norton
Mccarron
McDowell white
Vasljevic
Creek
Adel
Cooks
Moller
Mathiang
Landale
Humphries

Reply #640770 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I don't know about all this negativity. It looks like a good balance of youth and experience, so there's plenty to like in terms of young guys being shown the ropes.

You can dream all you like about who you'd like on your team, but ^Anon 640770, half of those guys are just not available for this tournament.

I reckon a lineup of:
Norton
McCarron
Creek
Kay
Hodgson
could play some pretty exciting basketball, myself.

There's plenty to like with Blanchfield, Brandt, Gliddon and Cadee on the roster, with Newls, Kickert and Andersen providing stability and experience.

Reply #640780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldn't be a Boomers thread without the constant mentions of those not selected.

Reply #640784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller doesn't have to go to uni games. That tournament has no worth compared to Asia Cup.

Why shouldn't lemanis take him out of that team after what he did vs china, our biggest challenge.

Reply #640785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting 5 imo
Norton
Mccarron
Newley
Kickert
Anderson

Cadee
Gliddon
Creek
Kay
Hodgson

Blanchfield
Brandt

Reply #640786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia Cup means nothing hence the team chosen. Its not a qualifier for the worlds like the women's Asia Cup

Reply #640787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This tournament has nothing to do with World Cup qualification?"

No it doesn't, but the players who were chosed for the Asian Cup will be the only ones available for the qualifcation process later one so that is why they have been chosen. First qualification window is in November.

Reply #640792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And sobey, goulding, lisch etc will be fit for selection!

Reply #640794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller available too...

Reply #640795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus whoever else is hot during the NBL season.

Reply #640796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait for the drama involved when coaches start to claim their players are injured right before each qualification window.

How will BA check if injuries are legit since NBL area a different entity? LOL... going to be interesting.

Reply #640797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We only have to finish top 7 in Asia out of 16 teams in the qualification process.
I'm pretty sure we will qualify easily.

Australia, Korea, nz, Iran, Korea, Phillipines, Jordan will probably be the 7.
China gets auto qualification as they are the hosts.

Reply #640799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is not at Boomers level mate. He is improving, but don't get ahead of yourself

Reply #640962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is improving rapidly and will probably be there for the qualifiers so should be there for Asia Cup not crappy uni games.

Reply #640976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have been nice to see a few young players (teen/college-age) with genuine Boomers potential in the squad, but I'm sure all those selected will represent Australia well.

Was there a particular reason no college players were selected even in the extended squad?

Reply #640982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times does it have to be stated? You obviously didn't read above.

College players won't be available for the World Cup qualifiers vs. Asian teams. So they haven't been selected for Asia Cup.

Reply #640990 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I still don't see why the selectors didn't select any of the NBA players, top college players plus Sobey, Lisch and Goulding.........................

Reply #641015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey, Lisch and Goulding are injured which was discussed above or in another Boomers thread. Not that hard to read what others have wrote.

NBA players won't be available for qualifying so weren't chosen for Asian Cup.

Reply #641018 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Relax. I was being facetious.

Reply #641020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha nice

Reply #641023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot wait for Captain Australia Dave Andersen to tear these tiny asian nations up. He'd have a harder time hoisting shots over witches hats at united training you'd think

Reply #641248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for the Boomers to get some silverware finally. I like gold.

Reply #641254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then it is not silverware

Reply #641255 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Boomers won the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2006 and should do again next year.

Reply #641256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously we did but a FIBA gold medal from Asia is a huge upgrade than the joke Commonwealth or two-country joke Oceania zone ones.

Reply #641260 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Someone has to enlighten me as to why Craig Moller is getting all of this Boomers talk. He has good height, length and athleticism but I am yet to see what makes him better than say, a poor man's David Barlow without a three ball.

Reply #641263 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754