Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats declined NBA game

Might answer anyone wondering why one of the league's big teams didn't get a call-up.

Topic #41597 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know how to embed it but James McKern tweeted a statement from the club yesterday.

Reply #642024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #642027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read that as we dont want to fork out kne penney. But we will spin it like games in round one are championship defining. The correct teams were invited regardless.

Reply #642029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the need to officially release "a reason" why? More like you weren't invited but want to act like you were but are too good for it. It's so transparent what they are doing.

Reply #642030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I read that as we dont want to fork out kne penney."

Yes, we all read it like that.

"But we will spin it like games in round one are championship defining"

Um, they are.

Reply #642031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games in round 1 are not championship defining, character building perhaps, but not going to make or break a title run.

Im happy Perth felt the need to make a release, when no other team did. Doesnt come off at all arrogant and full of self importance.

Reply #642039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. No press releases from Adelaide, Cairns, Illawarra & NZ.

Reply #642041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Games in round 1 are not championship defining, character building perhaps, but not going to make or break a title run."

Considering how important season series and final standings are, you could not be more wrong.

"Im happy Perth felt the need to make a release, when no other team did. "

Thats because people around the country were asking why Perth wasn't one of the teams involved.

Reply #642042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Wow really clutching at straws there, Perthian.

Reply #642043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if Perth lose in round 1, are you going to be done with the season... me thinks not. You are going down the Koberulz channel here, but technicalities aside, sports titles are NEVER won in round one, nor do fans remember the early rounds come crunch time. Watch the Brownlow, see the early rounds and you wont even remember those game highlights from the early rounds. Weak excuse.

Adelaide got blown out by the Hawks in round 1, didnt have a damn thing to do with chocking months later to the same team.

Not that many people out of Perth were asking the questions, inside the walls of WA, perhaps, but not enough to be making a Trump like self indulgent statement.

Reply #642044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic post. Completely misses the point but good on you for typing so much!!

Reply #642045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant really dissect anything there huh. Pretty much hits it on the head, and you are only left with a weak attempt at demeaning the rebut by claiming the point is missed without any actual explanation.

Ahh Perth fans! Im starting to get excited for the NBL again, the heat is building.

Reply #642046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cant really dissect anything there huh."

No its because you completely misinterpreted what was said and responded accordingly.

Were you not paying attention to the final round of last season, where 6 teams were still fighting for playoff positions, and season series and splits were everything?

Reply #642047 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Gleeson was quoted as saying he didn't know about the offer, and only found out whenever one else did.

I believe the article has since been edited to remove that.

Reply #642048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To give up a chance to play an NBA team on, in the limelight both here and abroad, and use the excuse of season prep, when 3 other big teams all jump at the chance, to me is a weak excuse. If Perth are really concerned about losing a game or 2 early, because of a potential for some crazy finish like last season, then thats a worry for the mighty Cats in itself. Give you the hot tip, internally the cats players would be absolutely peaking right now, IF the team had infact said 'Nahhh we cool, choose another NBL team to rep the league'. So maybe will need to use those opening rounds to create some harmony amongst the group haha

How very surprising T-Rev's comment has been edited out.

Reply #642052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson was quoted as saying he didn't know about the offer, and only found out whenever one else did.

I believe the article has since been edited to remove that."

and now the cover up! Classic stuff, Wildcats.

Reply #642054 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

1. No the release wasn't about Perth's ego, they basically had to do a Press release due to the amount of backlash about Perth not being selected to clear things up. If you look at all the NBL posts they're dominated by people asking why Perth wasn't involved, even by non-Perth fans, instead of celebrating what the league has done. Perths FB page has almost the same amount of likes as the NBL page, and almost the same amount as Melb/Syd/Bris combined.

2. If it is a 'cover up' and they actually weren't invited, then yes it is a massive snub to not be included with the success they've had and what they've done for the league.

3. If it really is a 'cover up' like some say then I don't think Perth are 'arrogant' or 'cocky' for doing it. A cover up would actually save the leagues ass from more backlash. Wildcats could kick up a fuss about it publicly but a 'cover up' helps out the league more than the Wildcats.

4. Declining to focus on the season makes complete sense imo and is respectable. No, championships aren't won in the first couple of rounds, but given how tight the league was last year potentially losing a game or two due to the trip could have massive consequences at the end. Perth start the season with 6/8 home games before a period of 8/10 games being away. They'll want to make sure they win most/all of those 6 home games early and potentially losing 1-3 games early because of a trip to the US could cause huge problems. Then there's also the risk of injuries etc which have been a big problem for the Cats in recent years. A key player getting injured during the US trip or shortly after as a result would be another huge problem.

Reply #642059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Big3 cities, that are also geographically the closest to the US with airports that fly direct there, makes sense.

Reply #642060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New rule for the forum please - if your team hasn't won a championship in the last 5 years you can't post...

That should deal with all the haters and tools

Reply #642061 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Games in round 1 are not championship defining, character building perhaps, but not going to make or break a title run."

But every game is important given how close the league was last year.

The Wildcats not only scraped into the playoffs by one game, some could suggest they scraped in by one questionable foul call on Gliddon (on Cotton in the last second).

Couldn't care less Perth is not in. Couldn't care less if they feel they have to make a statement.

But make no mistake wins are important.

Reply #642062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But make no mistake wins are important."

Not just that, but margins as well. What if they travel to the US between rounds 1 and 2, and lose game 2 at home against Illawarra by 30 because they're jet-lagged? That can completely stuff up their season series. You'd have to be pretty thick to not think of those ramifications.

Reply #642063 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes thats true...

Didn't last season see a 4 team mini-table at the end as well? All these factors can become important.

I guess they have much more at stake than other teams being a 3peat year and their core is getting old.

Reply #642068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now the NBL has shared the statement from the Cats....this conspiracy goes all the way to the top!!!

Reply #642069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difference between Perth and other clubs is they treat every NBL game as important starting from round 1, suppose that's why they haven't missed finals in 31 years.

Reply #642071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares about the wildcats. you're not playing against an nba team and thats the end of it.

Reply #642074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correction Perth aren't playing in a practice game against an NBA team. Which basically great for frequent flyer points if that's what you're into.

Reply #642075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

never said it was a regular season or practice game just that they aren't

Reply #642077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just for clarification as there is a difference between playing for something vs nothing

Reply #642078 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

If your goal is winning an NBL championship, then playing games against NBA teams during the NBL season is not advantageous to you.

While great for the league, the Wildcats have their eye on the prize.

Bit selfish maybe, but come the finals any team that didn't travel to the US will be better off physically than those that did.

Reply #642080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney wintbbe making the playoffs this season or having any success due to jet lag in round 1. Get your hands off it! This is a money saving thing doe the Cats more than performance concerns. But end of the day, im happy the league has chosen the powerhouse cities as far as growth for the game goes. Perth have been solid with $ coming in for years from the fan base. No extra interest there will achive much from a NBL growth persepctive. Stuff being on Espn and playing against some of the games biggest stars, im sure this all sits aswell with the actual players as it does with the fan base who have eaten up theis 'tactical' no to the NBA.

Reply #642081 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.............

Reply #642083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ok so Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney wintbbe making the playoffs this season or having any success due to jet lag in round 1."

Well they didn't make it last year so if they lose their matches immediately after coming back from their road trip, they're already behind the eight ball (assuming the competition is close again).

Reply #642084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see why Mel, Syd and Brissie players want to play these games. Sure they might get humiliated and jet lagged with no points up for grabs but imagine the profit they would get on eBay for those signed singlets from real life NBA player. Just think about all those amazing cool selfies bubbles etc would take with those NBA guys.

Take that Wildcats you ain't got no cool merchandise like us Easterners...not like you can buy NBA stuff from stores.....V for Victory...Eastside for real

Reply #642085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see a Vine of "major bunnies" followed Kyle Adnam giving a dap to

Reply #642086 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

"Ok so Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney wintbbe making the playoffs this season or having any success due to jet lag in round 1. Get your hands off it!"

lol if you really don't think 1 game early in the season makes a difference, just think about this hypothetical situation. Say these NBA exhibition games took place last season, at the same time, in between Round 1 and 2 and the Wildcats played. Perth actually won their Round 2 game 75 to 73 against NZ last year, but I'd be willing to bet if they played that game after a trip to the US they likely wouldn't have won and potentially lost by a fair bit. That would have given the Cats a 14-14 record (instead of 15-13 that placed them third) and NZ would now have a 15-13 record (instead of their 14-14 which placed them 5th) meaning NZ would be in the finals and Wildcats wouldn't have.

and oh what would that mean? Basically no playoffs, no chance at success and no championship. It would mean that yes a trip to the US all the way back at the start of the season could have cost them the opportunity to go for consecutive championships.

Reply #642089 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth has played an NBA team before, actually that was the NBA champs because someone thought winning games actually mattered. The best team in the country and arguably biggest basketball market in Australia is not representing the NBL for one reason or another.

Who cares, seems a missed opportunity for everyone involved the team and the league. If the league really wanted them i am sure they could have provided incentive, if the cats really wanted to go I am sure they could have outbid everyone else.

As good as it would be to see the best team in our league take on an NBA team it really doesn't matter.

Cats have a completed roster, with good depth and what for once actually looks like some offensive firepower.

I am ready for the season to begin.

Reply #642092 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

technicalities aside, sports titles are NEVER won in round one
Is the 'technicality' you allude to the fact that wins in round one actually count as wins?

Winning a game in round 19 still only counts as one win, exactly the same as winning a game in round one.

Reply #642100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round 1 or 20, wins mean the same ladder wise. But realistically its purely about being in the right form come finals time not round 1. Thats probably the point made clearer from my end. Come finals time fans and teams dont think about form from round one, its all about peaking at the right time. So weak excuse from Perth, just waiting now for every other team to come out with their statements about not wanting to play against NBA talent.

It just comes across pathetic that Perth somehow felt the need to formally discuss an informal discussion that actually has resulted in an NBL positive that has little to do with them directly. Great to hear from the mighty though, as always.

Reply #642106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Round 1 or 20, wins mean the same ladder wise. But realistically its purely about being in the right form come finals time not round 1. "

Its got nothing to do with form. A significant loss in round 1 or 2 can have an impact on ladder positions due to the season series and splits. Three teams are potentially putting themselves at a disadvantage due to the travel demands in between their regular season games. This is really not that hard to understand.

"Perth somehow felt the need..."

Yep, they just decided to release a statement for no reason. Moron.

Reply #642107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well im glad we can all agree to disagree on another wildcat topic. If anything the form at the right time arguement should be agreed upon by WAs finest based on that being exactly what won them the title last season. Anyways, next topic, not much more to disucss here...

Reply #642108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree but its irrelevant to the topic. Considering three of the four finals teams only scraped in in the final round of the season, and season series and mini-tables are a thing, then it goes without saying that every win is crucial to your playoff chances, even more so in a close competition.

Reply #642113 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Exclusive video has just emerged of the wildcats' recent negotiation attempts with the nba:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPzFUiY-tg

Reply #642114 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Look, it's in my interest for this to be discussed forever so don't stop now, but it seems a bit of a non-issue. Perth put out a statement because there were a lot of questions about their lack of involvement. It's a pretty terse statement.

Realistically, the NBL just needed three of maybe 4-5 teams involved (could consider Adelaide too). It's subjective whether the best result comes from including the three biggest markets or the best teams so missing Perth is a non-event.

That said, while a single game result is handy whichever stage of the season, sometimes the success of the league should come first. I think you'd want to put your preparations for an NBL game aside if it was for something fairly momentous like this. If there weren't three good candidate teams going, I might've thought this a bit selfish.

LK bankrolls two of the three teams, so he might've been a little less cautious about the unknown costs of the trip.

All up, Perth explained their position and the NBL has three decent teams going to make a case for the league (to domestic fans as much as anything).

Reply #642118 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Realistically, the NBL just needed three of maybe 4-5 teams involved (could consider Adelaide too).

The 36ers have got better things to do ;)

Fair enough. The regular season champion Adelaide 36ers weren't offered a shot but they head to Singapore for the Merlion Cup next month and were unlikely to have accepted.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/nba-nbl-bond-is-only-positive/

Reply #642122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is forgetting the Kings game is in the pre-season. So 1/3 of the games don't even affect the regular season.

And oh wow jet lag. Flights between Sydney/Brisbane to west coast are like what 11hours? Big deal. When teams travel east-west/west-east in the NBL they do 5hrs. Or Breakers to Perth is up to 7hrs westbound. Wow, oh my, the jet lag THINK OF THE CIHLDREN!!!1

Reply #642125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at how chill all the Sixers fans are on this, a majority Sixers forum. Example is Zodiac's post two up from this one, from a Sixers fan standpoint. Taking a light hearted dig at the whole situation re: Adelaide being left out.

Whereas compare and contrast that to the feral backlash by Perth fans. It's totally opposite. Get over yourselves!

Reply #642126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #642061 writes:

"New rule for the forum please - if your team hasn't won a championship in the last 5 years you can't post...

That should deal with all the haters and tools"

Wow, another boneheaded Wildcats fan.

You do realise this forum originally called Hoops SA? and majority Sixers fans. So what, does everyone shut up? Not to mention isaac the site OWNER being a Sixer fan. Does that mean he should close off the website? Fool!

Reply #642128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you realise that he was being sarcastic? Face palm

Reply #642133 | Report this post

Years ago

It's pretty common knowledge here in Perth that we declined well in advance. Gleeson I believe has been misquoted.

It's great to see a culture at the wildcats focus on doing what they do best above all else: winning NBL games.

Good luck to the teams who have since been offered an opportunity and put that as a priority. It's good that we have teams willing to, as I see it as a fantastic opportunity for the NBL overall.

Reply #642134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do you realise that he was being sarcastic? Face palm"

How would I know that? She/He's just another anon. Could easily be a 'Cats fan with the way they carry on.

If it was pisstake on 'Cats fans then touche I give credit lol!

Reply #642136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's pretty common knowledge here in Perth that we declined well in advance. Gleeson I believe has been misquoted."

Complete BS. Sorry, you're flat out lying. WTF is this "common knowledge" Perth declined? LOL, no one knew about this NBA-NBL deal until a couple of days ago. No one in Perth knew - I'm in Perth.

Interesting reality 'Cats fans live in.

Reply #642138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah come on guys get with it. Everyone in Perth knew about Wildcats declining an NBA opportunity like since forever, well before everyone else found out about the recent NBA-NBL announcement that the league only finalised recently as well! Perth - they're ahead of the curve!

Reply #642139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are non-Perth supporters so uptight about the Wildcats saying they didn't want to travel back and forth for over 30,000km for a practice game during the season? Is it so they can have a "win" over the Wildcats? That's pretty pathetic, why don't you guys worry about your own team unless you've given up already on the season.

Reply #642141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, what's pathetic is the attitude of Perth supporters. At first acting as if they were entitled to be one of the three teams. Then their club issusing an official statement (WTF?) that they had declined, when all indications are they weren't even invited. All of that arrogance combined leaves us baffled even though we know how you act like but you cease to amaze!

Reply #642142 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Geez relax folks. Its really a non-issue honestly, Perth was invited and politely declined. Maybe the reason is valid, maybe its not. It'd be ironic if you lose the few opening games while the travelling teams come back and win all of theirs, not to say Trevor and maybe some players would be annoyed then.

Yeah focusing on winning another championship is important but for some, this maybe a chance in a lifetime even if you know you're going to get your arse handed back to you in unrecognizable pieces. You'd want to test yourself against the best at least once.

With jet lag, most athletes learn how to minimize it, plus there may be further scheduling changes to lessen it. Pretty sure they're still working out the finer details. As it is, I think only the Bullets with the short recovery time allowed (3 days I think).

Reply #642143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the thing. Gleeson let the cat out of the bag in that ESPN article - they didn't know NBA-NBL was on. Then Wildcats release a press release saying they declined an invite. Then the ESPN article has the Gleeson quote deleted. Busted.

Reply #642144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And oh wow jet lag. Flights between Sydney/Brisbane to west coast are like what 11hours? Big deal. When teams travel east-west/west-east in the NBL they do 5hrs. Or Breakers to Perth is up to 7hrs westbound. Wow, oh my, the jet lag THINK OF THE CIHLDREN!!!1"

Well done, you've just displayed that you dont know what jet lag is!

Reply #642145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#144, so you're really going with the conspiracy that the Cats, so angry at not being invited, put out a statement saying they were invited but declined (a statement the NBL has supported) just to pretend they are really important or something?

Reply #642147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It isn't that big a deal. Obviously a lot on here don't travel. Making too big a deal about something minor, to try and legitimise the "decline" (cough cough) by the Wildcats.

Even within the league there is up to a 5 hours timezone difference between Auckland and Perth.

If the flights are timed right jet lag/timezone effect can be minimised.

Reply #642148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cats do indeed think they are important. It's a Perth mentality.

I don't see press releases from Adelaide, Cairns, Illawarra or NZ.

Pretty clear what is going on.

and then to ask ESPN to delete the Gleeson quote. My my why would such a request have been made otherwise?

Reply #642149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Gleeson was wrong when he said they didnt get invited.

Reply #642151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Gleeson revealed accidentely the truth which wasn't supposed to be their public line.

Reply #642152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all this talk about the Wildcats getting "busted" for saying they didn't want to go is a "win" for the eastern states? Well done guys you really showed those Wildcats!

Reply #642154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. No one cares. It's just the constant attitude coming out from that club and their supporters. Everything has to be construed in their favour. Btw I live in Perth.

Reply #642155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people asked why they weren't taken so they released a statement says they declined. What is the problem with that?

People are whinging about Perth fans, while non-perth fans invent ludicrous conspiracies about their fall from power or some shit.

Reply #642156 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

"The Cats do indeed think they are important. It's a Perth mentality.I don't see press releases from Adelaide, Cairns, Illawarra or NZ."

The difference between Perth and those other clubs though is everyone was asking the question of why the Cats weren't involved, I hardly saw anything about those other 4 teams. It's all over the comments section of the NBL's posts, all over twitter and even a couple of articles on it. It makes perfect sense for them to release a statement to answer the questions everyone was asking to try clear things up and stop the backlash.

I can't believe people managed to twist it to something about Perth just thinking they're important and doing it for no reason.

Reply #642158 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's the thing. Gleeson let the cat out of the bag in that ESPN article - they didn't know NBA-NBL was on.
He didn't, but he doesn't run the club.

Then Wildcats release a press release saying they declined an invite.
It didn't say they declined an invite, it says it was 'informally raised'.

So Kestleman mentions it to Marvin a few months ago, Marvin doesn't think the timing will work, says they're not interested. No further discussions are had with the 'Cats. It never reaches Gleeson.

Or, it reaches Gleeson in such a hypothetical capacity that it seemed like news to him when it was announced.

Or everyone is lying. In which case so what? The overwhelming social media response was 'why no Perth?', which distracted from what was supposed to be a big announcement, and the league and the club have taken steps to squash that reaction. Who cares?

Reply #642162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Releasing the statement was in the best interests of the league, and not self-serving.

Reply #642163 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

FAKE NEWS wildcats were simply focusing on another inevitable championship

Reply #642166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the "I hate wildcats and I live in Perth" comments as if that adds an extra layer of credibility to them.

Reply #642171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I live in Perth but am not blinded by how arrogant þe club and fans have become. What happened to the days when people were humble? even when we dominated in the 90s. It's very saddening.

Reply #642172 | Report this post

Years ago

There's a lot of people in here who are struggling to come to grips that the wildcats declined the offer from NBA to focus on winning another championship.

That's why the wildcats continue to win. They put the interests of the club first and the main interest is winning.

Don't be fooled by the misquote of Gleeson on here. The wildcats declined and are the smarter team for doing so. Thanks to the other teams who were willing to do it though.

Reply #642174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You assume they were invited. Again, arrogance.

Reply #642175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not arrogance. Its fact.

Reply #642176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact is every club had preliminary discussions.

That does not equal an invite as the Cats are purporting. How can you decline something that was just talks and not an actual invite... lol.

Reply #642177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anybody who states they know for a fact that the Wildcats are lying is in fact ARROGANT because unless you are at the meeting how the hell would you know. Then again trolls are nothing if not arrogant.

Reply #642178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cats never used the word "invited" and their statement clearly says it was raised informally. When it was raised informally, they declined it.

Maybe people here have incorrectly used the word invited but that is because people are saying the Cats were never involved at all due to Gleeson's comments. Stop being a dickhead about it. You're not proving anything.

Reply #642179 | Report this post

Years ago

Common knowledge around Perth that there was an invite and IN FACT Perth was invited first. It's been talked about from management to the community

Reply #642180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likewise HOW DO YOU KNOW they are telling the truth after the dodgy quote deletion?

I predicted the teams anyway. The two LK and one AEG clubs, as the former are LK connected the latter owned by AEG who helped NBL make ties with NBA. So it's laughable this Cats spon, but hey it worked since their fans believe it!

Reply #642181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spin*

Reply #642182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^are you the same anon that said "fact is that every team had preliminary discussions"?

Reply #642184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ common knowledge. It was a closely kept secret until Monday night. But everyone in Perth somehow knew about it, but then yet are asking questions "why not us????" once announced. Give me a break.

Reply #642185 | Report this post

Years ago

Gaze announced on SEN that Perth were asked and they declined. Perth know what they are doing.

Reply #642186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles also confirmed Perth declined, well before the Cats made the announcement.

If you dont think Perth were asked then you're an idiot.

Reply #642187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I take what the Perth Wildcats statement as fact over some numpties who know SFA in comparison. So in short even though you might think you know what happened let's get real you have no credibility in comparison to a respected organisation like the Wildcats....got an other conspiracy theories ? ....lol

Reply #642189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team was consulted. That doesn't mean Perth had a firm "do you want this, if you say yes it's happening" as they are trying to portray.

Reply #642190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didnt say that at all!! Christ, you're dumb. Read their statement.

Reply #642191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and I declined a supermodel. Yeah, right.

Reply #642192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, how emotional are Wildcats fans? :s Scary!

Reply #642193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anymore posters want to state for a fact that the Wildcats were lying in their statement? Anyone...anyone at all?

Reply #642194 | Report this post

Years ago

It's pretty clear now that Perth were asked (first) and declined. This has been discussed by many now including SEN, Gaze, Perth Management, Abbey Gelmi etc.

Imho this was a good move by Perth and just goes to show why they have a winning culture.

That's the bottom line. Nothing else to be said.

Reply #642195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and I declined a super model", you make compelling argument. I can see why you would be irresistible to a super model...lol

Reply #642196 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The confusing thing is the NBL has known about these games for the last 61 days (LK statement).
They released the 2017/18 season program after creating the opportunity with the knowledge these games would be on.

Why not make space at the start of the season to accommodate these games.

Reply #642200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love LAMP!!!! This thread has deteriorated wildly, so funny coming back to it hours later.

Reply #642201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is more fun than sharing a cell with Tiny Pinder

Reply #642204 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Its an indictment of this forum that a thread discussion one of the biggest events in NBL recent memory, gets 84 replies, and the thread to discuss the Wildcats not participating got 95.

As said before this was a storm in a teacup, yet still the accusations of :

- Perth are declining something they're not invited to.
- Perth are self-important coz no one else make a statement.
- Perth got busted coz Gleeson.
- and my favourite Perth got ESPN to change their story.

In the end several credible sources confirm the title of this thread.

Now can we go back to discussing how great an opportunity this will be for the NBL?

Reply #642205 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fact is every club had preliminary discussions.

That does not equal an invite as the Cats are purporting.
Not only did the Wildcats not claim there was a formal invite, they specifically said they were involved in preliminary discussions. That's it.

Presumably they were clear enough in not being interested that when time came to issue formal invitations, they were skipped over.

It's not rocket science.

Common knowledge around Perth that there was an invite and IN FACT Perth was invited first. It's been talked about from management to the community
Literally nobody has talked about it in the community. If it's such common knowledge why was the overwhelming reaction to the announcement 'but why not Perth?'?

Reply #642212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait until the year 2046 when the NBA expand overseas to world cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne. Then Perth will come out to announce they declined while their residents are foaming at the mouth wondering why they don't have a seat at the table.

Reply #642220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

>Common knowledge around Perth that there was an invite and IN FACT Perth was invited first. It's been talked about from management to the community"

This really is a classic. A gem. It's as if they live in an alternate reality.

Reply #642221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do I quote properly on here? Thanks in advance.

Reply #642222 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

<blockquote>Text you want to quote</blockquote>

Reply #642223 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ok so forget about what is happening now, Do the fans want to see NBL teams play NBA teams ahead of the 2018/19 season after it's been considered an overwhelming success?

I think it's all a load of crap and we needed 3 teams to show our worth and come next off season, every team may be trying to get an NBA opponent... but at an earlier time

Reply #642224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why the wildcats are a championship calibre team. They put wins first. When the wildcats win another championship we will look back on this and without doubt know that they made the right decision in turning down the NBA's offer.

Reply #642233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strong word going around Perth that ESPN misquoted Gleeson and that ESPN had to pull the quote.

All makes sense now.

Reply #642234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN was not misquoted, word going around Perth has no traction.

Reply #642241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obsession over Perth continues..even about whether they did or did not decline a practice game..Imagine what would happen if Perth did a 3-peat, these guys would be on suicide-watch.

Reply #642257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I can't wait until the year 2046 when the NBA expand overseas to world cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne."

Do you really believe that the NBA would expand to Australia? Do you really believe that Sydney and Melbourne won't go bust before that time? There is more chance of Perth extending their finals streak to 2046.
Some on here really don't have any grip in reality.

Reply #642258 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

The obvious reason for declining is Perth home games are stacked at the start of the season.

First 5 rounds has 5 home games and 1 away. Possibly to do with hopman cup later in the year. Home games are the biggest advantage any club can get and the head to head ladder rules means dropping one early at home puts you in a bad position.

Reply #642262 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Not really. No one cares.

You seem to care enough to have posted 17 times in this thread already...?

Reply #642264 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"The obvious reason for declining is Perth home games are stacked at the start of the season. "

Serious question...do you think thye would have declined if the first few games were away?

I don't think so.

Reply #642271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some on here really don't have any grip in reality.

The reality is if the NBA do expand worldwide and Concord planes make a return, Australia would be looked up, and only its world cities would be candidiates - i.e. Sydney and Melbourne. If this ever occurred Perth would be crying demanding why they weren't in the mix and then once reality sets in claim they 'declined' the best league in the world.

Reply #642274 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

"The reality is if the NBA do expand worldwide and Concord planes make a return, Australia would be looked up, and only its world cities would be candidiates - i.e. Sydney and Melbourne. If this ever occurred Perth would be crying demanding why they weren't in the mix and then once reality sets in claim they 'declined' the best league in the world."

This threads getting ridiculous lol

Reply #642279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahhahahahaha concords wtf?!

Reply #642280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know, the plane. Dumbo!

Reply #642285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If NBA expand globally and air travel becomes faster the only Australian cities that would get a look in are Sydney and Melbourne. What is so hard for you to understand? Note in original example I did say 2046, not tomorrow.

There are already interim plans for NBA teams out of Europe, but the distance travelled is less. Eventually though with air travel improvements other corners of the world would be included. There are only two cities in Australia that would be suitable. That's where the joke comes into play - if it were to happen Perth would cry and then make themselves feel better by saying they rejected NBA :P

If you don't get it (obviously tongue in cheek) then you can't comprehend. Bye.

Reply #642286 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm shocked that Perth wouldn't want to participate in an event that would help improve the league as a whole.

Reply #642287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH not shocking at all. It's all about them, not anyone else. It's a Perth (the city) mentality. Big news at the moment in WA is getting more of a GST share from the federal government (LOL good luck with that). They really hate the east, whereas the east doesn't even know they exist.

Reply #642288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying Perth should have definitely been one of the teams going?

Reply #642290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#288, who hurt you?

Reply #642291 | Report this post

Years ago

Perth declined the other teams got the scraps. Perth know what they are doing. They are One of the rare teams that does.

Reply #642314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ hahahaha

Reply #642315 | Report this post

Years ago

Interesting to hear all the word out today that Perth were contacted first. Apparently the NBA have been monitoring them for a while. Needless to say they were very disappointed that Perth decided not to go through with it.

Reply #642316 | Report this post

Years ago

^^^ Loving the pisstake. Keep it up!

Reply #642319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The butt hurt from the ass-clowns out of Perth is epic. Maybe they should start their own breakaway league.

Reply #642324 | Report this post

Years ago

The butthurt from other teams who were either a) asked second or b) not asked at all, is really what's epic

Reply #642327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ took longer for a bite than I expected. Thanks for playing

Reply #642338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childish imbiciles on this thread

Reply #642340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey guys just checking in, good to see the thread is still going steong. And i still love lamp.

Reply #642353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754