GordonG
Years ago

Taipans announce Jamie O'Loughlin as new assistant coach

TAIPANS ANNOUNCE NEW AC JAMIE O'LOUGHLIN

THE CQUniversity Cairns Taipans are excited to announce the appointment of two-time Championship-winning NBL Coach Jamie O’Loughlin as a new assistant for the upcoming season.

O’Loughlin joins the Cairns coaching ranks alongside Head Coach Aaron Fearne and Assistant Coach Jamie Pearlman on the back of winning back-to-back Championships with the Perth Wildcats.

"I couldn’t pass on the chance to work with Aaron. He’s been highly successful for a long time and runs a program that other basketball organisations aspire to," said O’Loughlin.

“All the games we’ve played against him [with the Wildcats] have been tough and competitive. It’s no secret he coaches at a high level and I know I’ll learn a lot from him.”

O’Loughlin has been watching the movements of the club closely throughout the off-season, and is looking forward to reuniting with Nate Jawai for the first time since winning the 2015/16 NBL Championship together.

“We’ve got a lot of returning players which is great considering we finished second last season, and now they all have recent Finals experience. You add the new imports that bring in more scoring and athleticism and you’ve got a very exciting team,” said O’Loughlin.

“I really enjoyed working with Nate when we were together last. He’s a great guy and one hell of a player. I think he’s due for another Championship and hopefully I can help with that.”

Jawai is not the only Taipans recruit that O’Loughlin has previously coached, nurturing development player Ashley Constable for years as a Victorian Country junior and spending time with Anthony Fisher as a development player in Perth.

Most recently, O’Loughlin was an assistant at the 2017 World University Games, where the Australian Emerging Boomers finished at ninth place. The Boomers returned from Taiwan this weekend on a high, winning their last five games and owning an overall record of 6-2.

O’Loughlin now moves to the Far North with his young family - wife Kristy and 10-month old son Jude before the season tips-off on Friday 6 October.

“We’ve spent many holidays here – and now we get to live here. We love the tropical weather and really excited about getting settled and being part of this community.”

Topic #41746 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably wanted to land a job where the head coaching position will be up for grabs soon.

Reply #645734 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Great weather and low cost of living more like. He can live well up here with a young family.

Reply #645739 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pretty sure he's just swooping on the vacancy that will appear in about 6-7 months

Reply #645740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are lucky to have him.

Reply #645743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good coach and I guess happy to be up the pecking in order instead of one of 5 asst coaches in Perth. or is that 6 ;)

Reply #645745 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I'm not convinced that either this guy or Pearlman would be a shoe in for the head coach position if and when it ever comes up.

Reply #645761 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Good coach and I guess happy to be up the pecking in order instead of one of 5 asst coaches in Perth. or is that 6 ;)"

Didn't he come in as the lead assistant originally? Then get replaced?

Reply #645762 | Report this post

Issac  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/wildcats-in-world-class-hands-ng-ya-256018

yes he did. then got demoted down to video before leaving

Reply #645765 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Smart guy he gives the Taipans a close look at him this season as a potential replacement if Fearne gets the boot in six months time.

Reply #645766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with all the Fearne getting sacked/leaving murmurs?

Reply #645770 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

There are no rumours aside from this being his last contract year.

Reply #645773 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

O'Loughlin's got a great rep, and his involvement with the emerging Boomers squad could be a boon when it comes to future recruitment.

Reply #645775 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

If Taipans make the top 4 again what are the chances of Fearne being given anaother 2/3 year contract?

Reply #645789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't Fearne been with the Taipans since foundation in 1999? First as a player then as an assistant coach now head coach.

Reply #645790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares. Oloughlin got sacked from Wildcats because no one listened to the 5th assistant. They haven't even replaced him with anyone.

Reply #645791 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

CT, I know more than a few o/s organisations have been scouting him for years.

Anything can happen though, who knows.

Reply #645806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne is native in six languages in every sentence he speaks.

Reply #645809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

six accents you mean

Reply #645811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kingpodge "international organisations" for real? Like?

Reply #645812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was at Wildcats? Never heard of him

Reply #645870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly my thoughts (I'm in Perth).

Reply #645881 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Fearne has the job forever.This new guy is dreaming if thinks he will go further in Cairns.
We can only pray someone else makes him an offer as he is unsackable,as history has proven.

Reply #645896 | Report this post

Callisto84  
Years ago

"Fearne has the job forever.This new guy is dreaming if thinks he will go further in Cairns"

The new guy got sacked from Wildcats and was looking for a new job, cut him some slack, he isn't trying to take anyone's job, just find a new one. Geordie left because the money wasn't there and he is willing to work for peanuts.

Reply #645902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can appreciate the grind-his-players-into-the-ground reputation as one reason, but why would Cairns fans gripe much about Fearne? He's pretty consistently got decent results, especially given budget and need to recruit people to a regional area.

Reply #645904 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

It's a minority. Longevity, especially in a small city, with small city politics and small city mentalities, grows the hater bandwagon. Happens all the time, happened to Geordie in the Gong, even happens to legends like Wayne Bennett in the NRL. It's amazing how small the hater grape vine is, and how many times I hear different people parroting the same flawed analysis or rumors.

Some of it also comes from the incredibly dumb Skip Bayless narrative that has infected our culture: 'if you don't win everything regardless, you're an unsuccessful loser'... That narrative is more than often pushed by folks who couldn't win a chicken raffle at a one person bingo night.

(i don't include my learned fellow Taipans fans on this forum, who I have been known to disagree with, in the above. While I don't agree with them, at least they make an attempt to support their critics with facts.)

My fav hater moment was from a couple of years past where some suggested replacing Fearne with Shane Heal...... when I regained consciousness they had already left.

The proceeding season saw Fearne win coach of the year.

Reply #645932 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I'm always hearing that he should be replaced with Pearlman or that Downer should be brought back because they're nice to the players. But you know what? assistant coaches can afford to be nice guys. Any player coming into the Taipans would know what Fearne's all about and how he gets results.

If and when Fearne ever leaves I honestly think the Taipans are in for 2 or 3 years in the wilderness unless his replacement has the same recruitment networks and a coaching philosophy that compliments the way the Taipans organisation is run.

Reply #645940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What gets me about Fearne is how gruff he is. With no titles in the bag maybe tweak your personality a tad.

Reply #645942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows you how JO was disrespected at Perth. Wise move Jamie. Once Nielsen was in everything changed.

Reply #645950 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon, Fearne isn't there for your tinder date..........

and you've obviously had nothing to do with the man, or see how much time he spends coaching juniors on his own dime...

"He hasn't won a ring so he should be nicer!" - put that in the hall of fame.

Reply #645951 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

CT - nothing but net. 100%

Reply #645952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He acts like he has enough rope to be like a Popovich type yet won zilch.

Reply #645953 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

That press release really reads like the guy was head coach of Perth!

Reply #645954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nielsen coming in was such nepotism, "oh look at this ex player his wife wants to be in Perth so he has to be here let's give him a job" with no coaching credentials. Hate the whole ex-player name = gets a coaching gig easily routine.

Reply #645955 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon, yeah, no. You should have quit after your first dumb comment.

Reply #645956 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon #645955 - i thought Nielsen was pretty well received by everyone? If nothing else he's got plenty of experience to pass on to younger guys.

Reply #645957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for coaches that don't have ex-player names. Nielsen yet another example gets in through a name not skills.

Reply #645958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And no I won't stop - Fearne's demeanour is awful.

Reply #645959 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha don't stop anon, keep going.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Reply #645960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way you are defending him it's as if he were your Tinder date.

Reply #645964 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

nope, I'm defending him like he's the coach of a basketball team, not someone who I'm asking to prom.

Best of luck with yours though.

Reply #645966 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Fearne could continue to coach the Snakes into the future, with no fear of being sacked any time, soon.

My understanding is he is pursuing NCAA coaching gigs, and that may be why a head coach position in Cairns may be coming up for grabs.

I still think Downer has the front running, and would love to see Wortho in the job in 5 to 6 years time.

Reply #646054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Downer yes.

Wortho why? Has barely any coaching experience? Ex-player coaches Heal-style suck! Why would you even go there... LOL!

Interesting Fearne wants an NCAA gig because it would suit him to a tee. There is nowhere else he can really go in Australia to progress in his field.

Reply #646080 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Fearne is an ex Taipan. Pearlman is ex Canberra. Nothing wrong with recruiting ex-players, especially ones who are personally and emotionally invested in the team and the city. Nobody would suggest Wortho's anywhere near ready for a coaching gig yet but give him a few more years with the Dolphins or similar, some work coaching juniors, let him earn an AC job on merit and then maybe it's a conversation worth having given his character and passion for winning. 5-6 years may be optimistic but not entirely unreasonable.

Reply #646087 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

"Nielsen coming in was such nepotism, 'oh look at this ex player his wife wants to be in Perth so he has to be here let's give him a job' with no coaching credentials. Hate the whole ex-player name = gets a coaching gig easily routine."

Timeline off Nielsen's wiki page: During the 2013-14 NBL season, Nielsen served as a big-man coach for the Perth Wildcats. In 2014, Nielsen joined the San Antonio Spurs coaching staff in a player development role, on a contract that ran through to the end of the 2015 NBA Summer League. On 29 July 2015, Nielsen returned to the Perth Wildcats, signing with the club as an assistant coach for the 2015–16 NBL season.

I wouldn't say they exactly just gave him a job as an assistant for no reason. Brought him in in a mentor type role initially with his experience, then he spent a couple of years with the Spurs. I think bringing him on as an assistant then seems fairly justified.

Reply #646089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow two seasons as mentor/34903930th assitant then gets a gig over others with way more years of experience. It's the ex-player syndrome at work.

Reply #646090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"player development role" Clearly gives him the ability to be an assistant said no one ever.

Reply #646091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, how did the appointment of Neilsen worked out for the Cats? What have they achieved in the three (of the past four) seasons that he has been there?

Reply #646098 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

"Wow two seasons as mentor/34903930th assitant then gets a gig over others with way more years of experience. It's the ex-player syndrome at work."

I'd normally agree with you, I too do hate the idea of an ex player getting a gig in coaching with little to no experience (eg: in the AFL Buckley at Collingwood, Hird at Essendon, Voss at Brisbane). Even Gaze with Sydney.

There's no doubt Nielsen being an ex player helped him get his foot in the door, but he wasn't just brought in straight away to be the Cats head coach or something. Experience as a player, spent a year mentoring with the Wildcats, couple of years in a development role with the Spurs, then the Cats bring him on as an ASSISTANT with other good coaches around him. I've only ever heard good things about him. They obviously see something in him and like him to bring him on and keep him around. And like the other anon said, how much success have they had with him in their staff the last few years?

Reply #646099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just can't believe the Cats didn't consult the anons on this forum before appointing Neilsen!

Reply #646100 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

In all honesty, I'd hire a ferret if it had spent time on the spurs coaching team.

Nielson is eminently qualified.

Reply #646121 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Reckon Wortho will make a good coach down the track, he's got a good basketball brain.

And CT, Pearl is an ex-Taipan too ;) Great to see him stay on in Cairns and work his way through the ranks. Ripping bloke.

Reply #646122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job King Podge. Glad you have nothing to do with any nbl team. Oh its Nielsen btw. No wonder you like Fearne. Cats will always have success. It's certainly nothing to do with Neilsen being there that's for sure. Ask J.O.

Reply #646146 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'm glad i have nothing to do with any NBL team either, the money is horrible..

Reply #646149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ being automatically a good coach after a brief time at Spurs.

Reply #646150 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

.... reading an comprehension aren't your strengths are they....

Let me spell it out for you:

The Spurs - the NBA's most consistently successful franchise - aren't in the business of hiring bums.

Reply #646152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So everyone they have ever hired isn't a bum? As if they've never let employees go. Not all work out. Logic lacking big time here. just give it up

Reply #646155 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha dude.

Reply #646156 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Good job King Podge. Glad you have nothing to do with any nbl team. Oh its Nielsen btw. No wonder you like Fearne. Cats will always have success. It's certainly nothing to do with Neilsen being there that's for sure. Ask J.O."

This is amazing. It's like an intercepted coded message in a cold-war era spy novel.

The pig is in the poke. I repeat, the pig is in the poke.

Reply #646157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worked for Spurs > ? > Qualified coach

Reply #646158 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

It does make more sense when you translate it back to the original Russian:

Хорошая работа King Podge. Рад, что вы не имеете никакого отношения к какой-либо команде nbl. О, это Нильсен кстати. Неудивительно, что вам нравится Fearne. Кошки всегда будут иметь успех. Это, безусловно, не имеет никакого отношения к тому, чтобы Нильсен был там, это точно. Задать вопрос J.O

Reply #646159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha wow how dumb is podge. Facepalm

Reply #646160 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This anon seems like the human equivalent of pond scum

Reply #646161 | Report this post

Callisto84  
Years ago

Ask J.O? How bout you ask the players and see who they prefer! Simple fact, Nielsen got to the players and related to them far better than J.O. He had his shot and got fired after underperforming.

Reply #646162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask J.O? How bout you ask the players and see who they prefer! Simple fact, Nielsen got to the players and related to them far better than J.O. He had his shot and got fired after underperforming.

Reply #646163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anon bragging about Cats stfu let's concentrate on podge lack of logic

Reply #646164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Nielsen was a nobody grinding like most coaches do he would never get in that's a fact. Not questioning how good he has been since the job. But people have diverted it to that.

Reply #646165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has ever said Neilsen was a bum. Being a personal development coach for any NBA team is related to the X's and O's of coaching how exactly?

Reply #646175 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Coaching is about a lot more than Xs and Os.

Reply #646176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's your point Paul?

Reply #646178 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!!", I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Reply #646181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering he came on board as a big man coach, you'd probably want a former player (and a good one at that) in that role. So yeah, no argument here that he got his foot in the door because he was a former player.

To say he was hired just because he was a former player is entirely correct and completely missing the point at the same time!

Reply #646182 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Goddamnit champ...

In its simplest form, basketball is a team sport where the members of said team spend a lot of time together. It seems the Wildcats coaching staff is/has been full of fat/geeky-looking middle-aged white guys. Matt Nielsen could have come in as a refreshing/relatable voice. Athletes can be weird people who are hard to get along with. Gotta keep the peace.

So... an ex-player can provide a different -- in a good way -- vibe for an organisation. Maybe thats why they hired him. Maybe the reason he stuck around is because he has the skill set to become a good coach.

Reply #646187 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Recruiting from within is always good for an organisation's culture

Reply #646188 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Well, mostly

Reply #646189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems the Wildcats coaching staff is/has been full of fat/geeky-looking middle-aged white guys.

Haha, so true! and some of those said geeky-looking middle-aged dudes (starring Gleeson's gut in the lead role) even have tatts!

Reply #646197 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Whoever posted above using my name... wasn't me.

Reply #646338 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good luck to him, very sharp minded coach and also has a great relationship with Jawai, so looking forward to a decent year from the Taipans.

Cairn's gain will be Perth's loss I feel...

Reply #646422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754