Zodiac
Years ago

OKC Thunder vs Melb United, Mon 8th Oct

A bit of banter going on with Russell Westbrook and former 36er Terrance Ferguson weighing in and OKC coach Billy Donovan expecting all of Westbrook, George & Melo to play tomorrow.

Speaking at Sunday's final practice, Westbrook had zero thoughts on what Melbourne could produce in their maiden foray on the NBA stage.

"I ain’t expecting shit," Westbrook laughed.

“But I’m with Stevo (Kiwi teammate Steven Adams), though. I’m team New Zealand over here, just so you know.”

Ferguson learnt plenty during his one-year stint in the NBL last season, including a strong knowledge of the league’s rivalries.

“I was at Adelaide, so we hated Melbourne,” Ferguson said, smiling.

“I absolutely hated Melbourne, so I just want to compete against them. It is definitely going to be huge for me and my boys back in Adelaide.”

Billy Donovan:

“Probably tomorrow morning I’ll get with him and Carmelo and Paul to see where they are at physically.

“But the feeling going into tomorrow would yes to open up more minutes for them to play, maybe even some in the third quarter with all of those guys.

“And I still think it is important for some of the guys on the bench to get significant minutes as well.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/oklahoma-city-star-russell-westbrook-says-he-aint-expecting-st-from-melbourne-united/news-story/689270eb21976f55e450538a2bc810a3

Topic #41905 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley now out with foot injury. Couple locals being added to united bench.

Reply #649393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne hanging in nicely, those ring guys are useless though, why play them.

Reply #649531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware holding on to the ball a bit too much. Need a little more movement.

Reply #649532 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

this is just awesome for the game - love to see some more in the future.

Reply #649533 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm impressed... wow.

Reply #649534 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah absolutely impressed. Still 1 qtr to go but OKC even with the 3 superstars on the floor looked tense. They weren't expecting this I bet!

Reply #649536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Today's signees killin us.

Reply #649537 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Westbrook acting for a foul when it was a clear strip. Classic

Reply #649538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few people this morning telling me it's nothing, it's just a preseason game. That may be the case, but there is no chance an NBA team will just let another team from a lesser league win. This is a legit game.

Reply #649539 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well, that was impressive, wish I got to watch the 1st half as well. I'd like to see a replay of that 2nd last block, looked pretty close to a goaltend.

Reply #649540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game, Prather not big enough for NBA. The ring-ins were useless. Perth still the team to beat, tokoto and conger will stop Prather with height and athleticism.

Reply #649541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow...awesome effort, done nothin but good for the rep of the leauge.
At very least it should encourage better imports comin into the league...
impressive

Reply #649543 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The people who say "it's just preseason" would have been happy to gloat if Melbourne lost by 40, I am sure.

But regardless of preseason or not, you're still playing a team with 3 of the greatest basketball players on the planet on it, and at times Melbourne made them look very human.

Reply #649544 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Those 3 superstars played significant minutes, PG 39 mins, Melo 31 and Westbrook 28 mins. OKC called emergency timeouts and struggled to score at times. Kudos to Vickerman, tremendous defence.

Reply #649545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul George played 39 minutes, Melo 31, Adams 27, Westbrook 27 and Roberson 26. Outside of Ferguson getting 35 minutes for 3 points, OKC played their guys.

Great result. Put Goulding in there, knowing he can make some NBA-length threes, and who knows...

Reply #649546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The people who say "it's just preseason" would have been happy to gloat if Melbourne lost by 40, I am sure.
So true.

Reply #649547 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Pretty interesting game to watch. OKC played their starters pretty big minutes as well so nothing to scoff at. Enjoyed watching the differing styles of play. Barring a couple of United's players, most of them stood up well and their physical brand was well suited.

I really wish Adelaide or Perth were the last teams to play, as I have a feeling Brisbane are going to get flogged. Not hating on them, I just dont think they will match up well (seriously hope Im way off on this).

Stating the obvious, it would have been good to see Chris playing out there. Would have given them the extra shooter, particularly late.

That call was 50/50 I think. Watched it a couple of times and it could go either way live.

Great effort after that flight.

Reply #649548 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Haters going to hate. That was a great game of basketball. and thank you their big 3 played huge minutes. Pre season or not, Aussies took it to them.

Ware was outstanding and so were Utd's talls.

Watching stats on live betting app and reading the international comments was awesome. Losing their minds over the contest and actual chance of utd causing an upset.

Reply #649549 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great effort by United! Took it to them.

Close call on the block/goal tend on Boone's shot too.

Will Casper get an NBA tryout?

Reply #649550 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As complex as the game of basketball is, it is also awfully simple - the NBA is a make shot league. If you can score/shoot at a comparative % (and keep TOs low) you'll be in the game.

Credit to United..i was most impressed when OKC got a 6-8 point lead in the 3rd (i think) and yet they managed to chip away and keep it tight - when I was expecting OKC to run away with a 20-25 point win at that point.

Reply #649553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL twitter handle is embarrassing right now.

Reply #649554 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Tai Wesley impressed me particularly because I expected little from him, but he was very good.

Boone was great in the first half. Prather had his moments but the reason he isn't in the NBA is obvious - a bit of a tweener at his position. Casper Ware was absolutely outstanding and an NBA call up very soon wouldn't surprise me. Anderson did what Anderson does. Moller was solid but unspectacular. And I got a bit scared watching Kyle Adnam trying to handle the ball against OKC guards.

The G League fill ins were trash. Put in Goulding and Hooley and I think we might be talking about one of the greatest upsets in Australian basketball history right now. Who would have thought?

And as for Brisbane, I really don't like their line up. I worry that they might get flogged by an NBA team and force some humility into us NBL fans.

Reply #649558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware will get a call up, already being talked about a 3rd guard needed by NBA callers who were impressed.. And Tai Wesley who featured so much in the commentary during the game just quietly plugging away has the size and fellow NZ Adams would know of him. They are my two bets. Melbourne may have just didled themselves iut of a championship if they lose those two. Ware uas already had a stint and clearly improved on last year.

Reply #649560 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

^ with respect, no way Weasley gets an NBA call up anytime soon. Weasley doesn't really have good size - he is a tweener; 6"7 playing the 4 spot.

Really gutted Goulding couldn't play - I could have easily seen him putting up a nice 20 odd and catching some interest. His game reminds me of Alexey Shved.

Reply #649562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone fill me in on the G-league call up situation.

I can understand getting a fill-in for Goulding but 3?

It's interesting because, jumping into a team and working within the team's structures aren't easy.

And secondly, they weren't that spectacular.

To the point at 3am I was thinking they were development guys.

Reply #649564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 558

Moller was solid, but stood naked in the corner a few times for only to the ball jacked up. Great spectral over all. Ware was was excellent, Anderson, Wesley good, thought Prather over played the dribble to the rack and got rejected a few to many times. Barlow, Boone also solid, didn't think the ring-inns provided much.

Reply #649565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48 min game. Not all OK3 were on together for the greater of their individual minutes. There were Rookies on court for OKC and other benchers so yes it was a great game mainly by Ware and everyone needs to remember it's a training game for OKC. What it did show is that Demopolous was rubbish and Vickerman is a legend and maybe he will get a US gig. There have been write ups and commentary about his plays with much respect... always liked his game plan.. clearly he was the brains behind NZ maybe not so much AL but we'll get to see that soon won't we.

Reply #649569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And tired of hearing commentators make out like they were close to beating OKC who could have fielded their full starters and top bench but they ran it as a training and when they did get their 5 on they pulled it in quickly.yes it was a great game for Melbourne and great for NBL but perspective please Its going to be painful listenin to Homicide next Melbourne game bang on about it... sound off for that one..

Reply #649570 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You guys must be a hit at parties.

Reply #649573 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I agree having 3 G League guys was crazy. That meant there were 7 U.S. born players on the roster. Aussie players combined for only 16 points and only about 70 total minutes.

I think it was a monumental effort by a big underdog and that is commendable. Vickerman especially deserves praise, so too Andersen and Boone who's experience I think helped settled the team. Regardless of being a pre season game they played above against a team with far better talent. Well done to them.

But lets not get carried away. Those saying its a "great day for Aussie basketball" or "makes you proud to be aussie" are absurd.

This is also not a sign that nbl teams can match it with NBA teams regularly. This was an exception. Its a nice one, but there is still a chasm between these teams.

Reply #649576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many of you die-hards and those complaining/hating on Facebook pages are missing the point.

This isn't about you, the middle aged fanatics that discuss the game on the internet.

This is about the kids, that don't know any better that hear about local Melbourne team almost beating the NBA MVP Russ Westbrook.

This is about major media outlets picking up that NBL team Melbourne United was within 5 seconds of beating Melo, PG and Russ.

If you're getting caught up in the details of the roster and fill-ins, you are missing the bigger picture.

Why is it a bad thing for local basketball to receive coverage and praise for once?

Happens to all other australian sports and no one bats an eye-lid.

Reply #649577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram - maybe take off those Tigers glasses, come on, it was a great result.

I think in this country we can never win. You have the older generation who have no idea about basketball and the younger who only follow NBA. We are in between those two groups as I assume most of us grew up during the golden era of NBL. We can't win.

Reply #649578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another way to think of this result is in this way -- it is going to persuade LK to keep on going after the initial three year (or whatever it was) commitment.

Reply #649582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlike Cram I think this a great day for Aussie basketball - and I get the idea the media agrees which can only be a good thing

Reply #649583 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yep. Team with 7 Americans and 5 Aussies plays well. Great day for Australian basketball.

Reply #649585 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It was only a week ago people here said that OKC could play none of the big 3 and they would run away with a 20 point win. Now it's they didn't play the big 3 together much and it was just a practice and so on. Yeah... ok... obviously OKC aren't taking this game like a season match. However they got exposed at times by a team they should theoretically destroyed with ease. Any NBA team watching this game is going to realise that OKC aren't as strong as they may have originally thought after the trades.

Reply #649586 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cram, obviously still a bit salty about the end of the mighty Melbourne Tigers.

Let it go.

It is indeed a great day for Aussie Basketball. Just had a workmate come up to me "Hey did you hear about Melbourne United nearly beating OKC?". He knows I follow NBL but he generally is only into NBA.

More Aussies follow NBA than NBL- and the coverage of this game might make a few of them pay more attention to the NBL.

That's what was significant about this game- it boosts the profile of the NBL.

Reply #649587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I really wish Adelaide or Perth were the last teams to play, as I have a feeling Brisbane are going to get flogged.
I don't think Adelaide have the bigs right now, and that might count in the NBA. Perth or Illawarra maybe?
The NBL twitter handle is embarrassing right now.
I think they're rightfully pretty excited. What are they meant to do, talk about how it wasn't actually an all-Australian roster?
And tired of hearing commentators make out like they were close to beating OKC
They were. It was a one point game.

You can argue it wasn't "the real OKC" (if you're a trolling hater) because OKC overplayed Ferguson but United ran 13 guys including 5 people with minimal clout, and 2-3 of them who were brand new to the team. OKC ran Paul George for 39 minutes; other NBA teams are barely playing some of their studs while OKC had to put minutes into their best to win by 1 against Melbourne-sans-Goulding. The Spurs beat Denver by 22 today and didn't even play Gasol, Kawhi, Parker, Mills or Anderson. Look at who the Cavs suited today.

Cram, I think you're getting caught up on some pretty pissy details. Australian basketball is the NBL. The NBL includes imports and NZers who play here briefly or for any number of years. Whoever it is, boosts interest in the NBL. Just like internationals suit in an American league, where they and their foreign fans contribute to that league.

Reply #649590 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

But when there are claims about being "proud to be Aussie" because of this effort, surely having 7 Americans on the roster is significant. Even by the standard of showing off the nbl as a league, this team would be illegal in the nbl. Why not fill out the Roster with aussies?

If this team had the standard 2 Americans and 10 Aussies I'd be proud no matter the result. 7 and 5 though? What is there to be proud of? We have some rich dude (for the moment) who is willing to buy some decent players. Wow. Inspiring.

Reply #649592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So those 'decent' players came super close to beating some of the worlds elite

How is that not impressive?

Reply #649593 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Because a 1pt loss with some ring-ins (who didn't really contribute much) achieves the NBL's goal more than a 10+ pt loss with some random SEABL guys? I mean, you do realize what the point is with these games, yeah? And it's working.

Reply #649595 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Where did I say it wasn't impressive? I think I quite clearly said the opposite.

"I think it was a monumental effort by a big underdog and that is commendable. Vickerman especially deserves praise"

Ah LV, "let it go". Wow, what an amazing argument.

Reply #649596 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Angus, Why bother with the ring ins? Why not take all of your development squad instead? If this is about showcasing our league, showcase the great talent we have that will actually be playing here.

Reply #649597 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Because most people (outside of this forum and probably some facebook posts by the NBL or ESPN AU) won't know or care about the ring-ins, but will be impressed by the final margin?

Reply #649598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram being exposed for his hate of Utd/LK in this thread.

We would be nowhere right now without Larry.

Reply #649599 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Possibly. But when he gets bored/broke/dies/goes down foe fraud the model he has built will collapse and be proven for the fools gold it is.

Reply #649601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair, the injuries were last minute, especially hoolie's, so getting a local replacement was probably the only option and maybe they couldn't decide who would fit best, so took all 3? Hellova day for Aussie bball

Reply #649603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt he is going down for fraud. Come on now Cram, one thing LK is is legit.

Reply #649604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely no pleasing NBL fans. None at all. A few NBL teams got the opportunity to represent the NBL on the world stage, nobody ever really expected any of them to win, but the point was to get exposure and it's worked.

OKC were presented with a team they weren't expecting "shit" from and it got taken to the last second. They may not have been playing their best but they also weren't going to let an international team beat them and had to actually put in the graft when they realised they could get rolled by this NBL team. A great endorsement for the talent level in the NBL and hopefully it boosts both local and international interest - again which was the point.

Reply #649605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm an NBL fan who is never happy until now. Can't fault it other than them getting blocked twice at the end, should've hit a jumper or three :P

Reply #649606 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm making no accusations of fraud against LK. Simply showing how fleeting the good times have been in our league when we rely on rich guys with no sustainability plan. Our league is littered with good times turning quickly into the worst of times.

Reply #649608 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Cram - This is a glorious day for the NBL, drop the hate and embrace it.

Reply #649609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram maybe it's time to go backpacking again and calm yourself down while we enjoy the LK era.

Reply #649610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine Cram's comments if Utd were still branded as Tigers and this exact same result happened.

Reply #649611 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think you're thinking of LV who is blindly devoted to whatever team is currently in front of him.

I grew up watching a Tigers team filled with Aussie talent. This is not that.

Reply #649613 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There's no hate here. I'm just perplexed as to why we should be proud as Aussies that a g league team had a good night

Reply #649614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why bother with the ring ins? Why not take all of your development squad instead? If this is about showcasing our league, showcase the great talent we have that will actually be playing here.
Seems like the route taken and the result were actually about as good as you could hope for, considering. The people they're trying to win over won't focus long on the ring-ins. I didn't even notice them at first glance on the boxscore. Their main rotation were competitive with a well-stocked, playoff-likely NBA team - that's brilliant.

Reply #649618 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

That's all fine. But again, those claiming that we should be proud as Aussies from this?

Reply #649620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a moron, Cram. Seen the boxscore showing the actual minutes played? Despite the 3 G-League fill-ins, 1 of which didn't leave the bench, NBL teams are made up of players from all over the world to provide the best level of play we possibly can, and no doubt these players are proud take the team they sweat and bleed for to play against one of the best pro teams in the world regardless of their country or origin. You will find that in all professional leagues of any sport around the world. I think you're confusing NBL teams with the Boomers squad if you wanted an all "Aussie" team? Should the international players of OKC sat out this game?

If Brisbane get up will you be here posting this trash? Will you demand Trice and Holt stay at home whilst fused-back-Kicket is 3 steps behind the pace?

Reply #649621 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I love the tough guy anons who come out name calling and who've clearly not read my posts or willfully ignoring parts. As if I'm advocating that the nbl should have no foreign players.

Keep trying big fella. You'll find a point if you keep swinging

Reply #649624 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If the argument is that OKC was weaker as they were running some of their least experienced players, it is worth countering that point by noting that United were playing ring-ins and were missing their most potent scorer.

I suppose United felt they needed ring-ins to handle the 48 minute game with an undermanned side, but their actual worth was like playing development players.

Reply #649625 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

You'll note I wasn't arguing anything regarding the worthiness of the result. In fact, again, I explicitly said otherwise

"Regardless of being a pre season game they played above against a team with far better talent. Well done to them".

Reply #649626 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This thread is great.

Good to see everybody realises the significance of this day. Instead of getting belted by 44, or 25, United lost by a solitary point to an NBA side featuring 3 guys who have 20 or 30 all star appearances between them. It's all over the news. Brilliant for the NBL.

Some can't handle it, well bah humbug to them.

I hate to say it Cram but Copeland, Simmons and Timmons were crucial to the Tigers championships in the 90's. As were D-Mac, DT, Tucker and Lampley in the 00's. I don't remember you decrying the lack of Aussie talent.

At the end of the day, NBL is a representation of Aussie Basketball because it's the Aussie national league, irrespective of how many US players suit up for a given team on a given day. It's bizarre that this obvious point needs to be stated, but there is one guy in this thread who's trying to rain on the grand parade because he doesn't like LK. Shame.

Reply #649628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cram, the only mentions of "proud" in this topic are anon '621 (once, replying just now) and you (six times). Zero results for "pride". I think Goulding tweeted "PROUD" but then it is his team that played so well.

And it's likely that others are conflating "Aussie" with "NBL" in this basketball context, I'd guess? I think it was pretty cool that a league often disrespected by many people (including basketball fans in Australia) fared so well in this instance.

Reply #649629 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There were plenty of comments on twitter talking about Aussie pride in the result.

I think you're right about conflating the two points and its true I'm more talking to those (not necessarily on here) claiming Aussie pride.

But Im still not sold on the "great day for aussie basketball" line either. A great day wouldn't require a team full of Americans. I could accept a good day. If the Bullets (also an Lk team) put in a similar result in their game with a majority aussie squad I could be talked into calling it a "great day".

Reply #649633 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

This will get huge media exposure, can only be a good thing for the NBL, regardless of who played for who

Reply #649634 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There's that LV logic I've missed. Yep, two Americans in each of the Tigers 90s championship teams is JUST THE SAME as 7 Americans playing for an nbl side. Well done fella.

Reply #649635 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cram : "But when he gets bored/broke/dies/goes down foe fraud"

Cram : "I'm making no accusations of fraud against LK."

Reply #649639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram you're more one-eyed than LV now since the Tigers were renamed United.

And the red herrings you're trying to throw out are so obviously desperate on a great day for our league.

Reply #649642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One-eyed against United, that is.

Reply #649643 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm simply listing things that could happen (and have in our league on an all too regular basis) with every generous benefactor to date. I am not alleging that LK has committed any fraud.

Reply #649644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm happy for LK. He flew with NBL execs during NBA All-Star Game 2017 to finalise arrangements for the pre-season games. Nice reward for his team to be the ones who got oh so close. Well done LK keep up the good work.

Reply #649646 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

When the Tigers won their drought breaking championship in 2006, signalling the start of the successful Westover era, 3 of their 4 most important players weren't Aussie. Neither was the coach.

But irrespective of that, The NBL is the Aussie league- it started here, and 90% of the games are played here with all but one team being located here.

Aussies who don't follow our national league are today paying some attention.

Worth celebrating? Absolutely.

Instead of arguing about this, I'd rather celebrate the stories- Moller, playing AFL a couple of years ago today representing the NBL against the MVP of the NBA. Adnam, a kid from the burbs who looks about 15 years old, about 5 foot 8, the ultimate underdog out there competing against a squad worth $100+ million a week out from the season.

Casper Ware, the charismatic, smiling assassin bringing it in OKC.

Loving all of this.

Reply #649647 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The first part of your reply was a fair assessment anon #649642. I've readily admitted that I am clouded wheb it comes to LK.

But I would be equally dubious of claims of "great day for our league" claims if Sydney trotted out 7 Americans.

Believe me or don't. I'm not concerned.

Reply #649648 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I should add, plenty of general sports followers like the NBA, even if they aren't huge basketball fans.

Some of them are paying attention to the NBL today.

All the cynics have some pie in their face today.

The only problem for United, LK and the NBL is that the whole thing might have a bit of downside too, if they lose the NBL's resident star point guard out of this....

Reply #649650 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I'm simply listing things that could happen (and have in our league on an all too regular basis) with every generous benefactor to date. I am not alleging that LK has committed any fraud."

No...you used the word WHEN, that is a clear statement.

I really hope his lawyers contact you soon.

Reply #649651 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

When....folowed by a list of options. Walk on.

Reply #649652 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The NBL has had many Americans playing as naturalised Australians in the past on some strong teams in key roles. The Tigers have run a few naturalised Americans themselves over the years. I seem to recall American players like Vince Hinchen in the 1990s and Darryl McDonald in the 2000s. Imports from the 1990s that stayed on in Australia and became naturalised are numerous: Rose, Simmons, Crawford, Fisher, Loggins, Davis, Grace just to name a few.

Three of the Americans in this United team were ring-ins that were not of much value. It was disappointing that injury necessitated the use of ring-ins, and that United's best Aussie player was out, but it's not like the ring-ins were particularly good contributors. So United used their 3 import quota and included a NZ naturalised player. What am I missing?

Reply #649654 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Cram is obviously alluding to the many times wealthy owners backed NBL superteams, creating unsustainable spending by the competition, only then for these same "superteams" to run into financial issues because the wealthy owners go down and take the team with them. So the result is two-fold, as their reckless spending inflates salaries and strains the competition, then their own financial collapse ruins the team. I think it is obvious he was referring to the Sydney Kings Tim Johnson Firepower era (the fraud reference) and the Bullets collapse after their ABC Centres owner went down. Those accusing Cram of accusing LK of fraud either don't understand NBL history, or are being dicks.

Reply #649655 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm more interested in this from the NBL angle.

This is simply great for the NBL.

But- if you want to talk about the pure "Australian basketballer" angle....what about the diverse mix of fantastic stories here?

- Barlow- Long term NBL player (save for a few years in Europe). NBL Championship winner, Boomer. In his twilight, gets to play an NBA pre season game.

- Andersen- one of Aussie basketball’s all time greats, countless Boomer appearances in Olympics and international comps.

- Moller- AFL convert, just signed a 3 year deal. Big wraps on him from Gaze- will he become a future star of the NBL? Possibly.

- Adnam- young kid who has risen thru the ranks in SEABL, NBL Development player, NZNBL contract and now fully fledged NBL contract.

- Majok Majok- great story of him growing up in Perth after (if I remember correctly) leaving Sudan as a kid.

Reply #649656 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

1. 7 Americans is a stretch from anything of the past. Even if teams had 2 or even 3 naturalised players (rare) there were at least as many Aussies.
2. Why not take young development players rather than adding evidently shite americans?
3. 3 import rule when there are only 8 teams is absurd. Australia has so much good talent and the NBL should be about giving them pathways.
4. I have maintained it was a great result for the team. Mu only problem is the claims that this was some monumental moment for Aussie basketball. It was simply a g league team with Melbourne written on their jersies. It may well be a good promotion for the team and the league, but nothing that will justify the money that continues to be spent assembling these rosters.

Reply #649657 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cram, do you honestly think the average person seeing a headline knows anything about G-League ring-ins or Wesley not being local? Next game, they can go and see Ware, Boone and Prather play for their team, regardless of their country of origin.

Had Goulding been fit, I don't think they would have felt like they needed to call in help. That would've given them Ware, Goulding, Prather, Wesley, Boone. Then Andersen, Barlow, Majok, Moller, etc.

The news.com.au headline is "NBA MVP humbled by Aussie battlers". There's another story saying:

"'Proud': United, NBL are no 's**t’ - Melbourne United v Oklahoma City Thunder MELBOURNE United is the darling of the Aussie basketball world after a stunning performance against the Oklahoma City Thunder this morning. "

The Age's top sport story is: "'This league is no joke': United shine against Oklahoma City"

Not sure how that doesn't work for the league. The next two talking points will be that they did it without Goulding, and that PG/RWB/Melo all played. That won't hurt at all with the "NBL is lame, NBA is the best" teenagers.

If they get more games next year or a chance to host any, that will be fantastic too.

Reply #649658 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Funny how homicide on the weekend said Steph curry would score 100 points on Damian Martin. I think he might scote that much on Homicide but not Martin. Today's game proves the nbl standard is very high

Reply #649660 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

And they may well see a bump from that. It won't be enough to justify the spending though.

Reply #649661 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"2. Why not take young development players rather than adding evidently shite americans?"

They did take some development players.

Also, part of the problem bringing more would've been the short notice.

Goulding fell ill on Wednesday I believe, they played Thursday and had a flight to Dallas booked in on Friday. They would've flown straight from Adelaide.

And then Hooley got injured in the US the day before the game.

Reply #649662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram the NBL had to try something and LK is giving it the best go we've ever had. Don't see the problem. The alternative is not to pump any money in and let the league plod on like it did forever. I'll take the former.

Reply #649663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ring-ins aren't an issue since on short notice Goulding and Hooley were injured. It's not it was planned but out of desperation.

Reply #649664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd number?

Reply #649665 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If you have 11 in your team, plus 2 DPs, even with 2 injuries why do you need ring ins?

Reply #649666 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Isn't there some official NBA rule where you need to suit up 15 players?

I'm pretty sure it came down to pure numbers.

And besides, whilst I'm glad Smith Milner and Dillon Stith got a bit of a run, I don't think the NBA or NBL would necessarily want Development players getting significant minutes. Having Big V players going up for extended periods against the likes of Westbrook obviously has *potential* to be a bit farcical.

The two Americans were really only there to provide spot minutes to cover for the rostered NBL contracted players who needed a sub. They played 18 and 13 minutes. So that's fine with me. It was Melbourne United with a bit of injury cover brought in.

Reply #649669 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(or 12 players, or whatever it is)

It also might come down to positions.

Goulding and Hooley are both guards. They could hardly have played a DP who was a big man to cover their minutes could they? (Without significantly disrupting roster balance and who plays what role within the set plays, etc)

Reply #649670 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

OKC playing pre-season, sure, trying out some new lineups.

Meanwhile, United playing in an away venue, playing under different rules, with an extra 8 minutes of game length, travelled a ridiculous distance in a short time (road trips for one game don't get much longer than this) in a polar opposite time zone, without their leading scorer and another injured player, needing to inject ring-ins that know nothing about the system and frankly played like G-league players forcing shots for attention.

These guys kept an NBA team featuring 3 superstars playing major minutes to 86 points. OKC solidly ran their starting players. This same OKC team scored over 100 a few days ago against the Pelicans. Yet people are still downplaying United in the face of all these obstacles?

Reply #649671 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The nba does have a minimim suited players rule, but its closer to 9 than 15.

Barlow only played 18 minutes. Adnam, Moller and Majok less than 13 each. Much rather see those guys get more of a run than the ring ins. Then a dp gets a few minutes. That's a team to be more proud of as its an actual NBL team.

Reply #649674 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Rjd, I'm not downplaying the result, I'm downplaying the "greatest thing ever" absurdity.

Reply #649676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An NBA n00b basketball following friend of mine responded to the result like this:

"Are OKC that bad?"

Seriously we can't win.

Reply #649677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley - Local / Oceania
Anderson - Local
Barlow - Local
Moller - Local
Majok - Local
Adnam - Local
Smith-Milner - Local DP
Short - Local DP | DNP

Ware - Import
Prather - Import
Boone - Import

Dawkins - Fill in
Cleveland - Fill in
Stith - Fill in | DNP

Goulding - Injured
Hooley - Injured

Melbourne United plays in the Australian/NZ NBL and follows all rules regarding the number of local player and import players allowed. Considering injuries, and a last minute injury at that, I can't see how it wasn't reasonable to call in fill-ins against an NBA team which is traditionally a deeper roster than we have in the NBL.

If this happened to be Illawarra facing off against an NBA team and they got within a point with their 3 imports would anybody kicking up a stink? I don't think so. It's easier to stick the boots in to a capital city team, scream fraudulent activity, and try to talk down the amazing fact that a professional basketball team assembled and competing in Australia kept up with an arguably top 3 team in the world.

99% of people watching these games have no idea about the NBL. Those 99% now have some idea and will see it's a league stacked with talent, that's viable option for players of any nationality to forge a career or in T-Ferg's case a launching pad to make it to the NBA Draft, and the games may be exciting to watch.

And as a dual citizen myself (also from a Pacific island) I'm sure Wesley is more than happy and proud to play as an Oceanic player and represent Australia/NZ NBL.

Reply #649679 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

They had 11 healthy players. If I was a united fan I'd wanna see those 11 guys go to battle, not some nobodies that we'll never hear from again.

Reply #649680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram has obviously never played a 10.15pm game on a Tuesday night when only 4 of you show up and you somehow get that weird ring in nobody knows the name of to take the 5th spot.

Reply #649682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except Tai Wesley is American as per his own Wikipedia page.

There is movement on this front as Stephen Holt was previously allowed to play as a local due to Phillipines ancestry which has been disallowed this season.

Holt is playing as an import this season while Wesley isn't. Thats a double standard. One is right and one is wrong.

Reply #649683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fill ins is a none issue, i cant see why anyone would be upset by it

They were insurance, even at full strength Melbournes guard line up is a little thin with in experienced back ups in Adnam and Hooley, now take out Goulding plus Holley, it leaves them with just Ware and Adnam, obvoisuly going up against a NBA team they would be keen to atleast replace Goulding with a fill in stronger than Adnam, and leave Adnam as a back up, as it could be very embarrassing otherwise.

There are so many positives in this result and adventure, i cant believe people are so negative and try to down play it cos they have fill ins who play less than half the game each, and NBL teams have American imports, well no shit.

What would you rather take the imports out, have no fill ins, replace them with SEABL aussies and get smashed by 60 points and make the NBL look really bad??

When will some people ever be happy?

Reply #649684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram, here's the thing- The majority of people on here disagree with you.

No matter how much you kick and scream, no one is going to agree with you.

You are the exception. You are on your own. Your opinions are so misguided you have not been able to find anyone in this thread to agree with you.

Your complaints for trivial, and so obscure that in the big scheme of what this NBLxNBA exercise is about, they are lost and irrelevant to the cause.

But you are entitled to your opinion and if your opinion makes you happy, please keep flogging your dead horse.

Reply #649685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt always played as import in the NBL

Wesley has alwyas played as an Oceania local, this was debated and decided a couple of years ago and has stayed the same since

Reply #649686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt was an import when he last played here.

Reply #649687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For anyone who downplays it as OKC were in pre season mode, what were you expecting pre game??

Before the game, even with OKC in pre season mode, even with the big 3 playing less than they did i expected Melb to lose by atleast 20 points.

So to get alot closer than that is a great effort, how can anyone not be happy with that.

Like no one is pretending Melbourne could beat a NBA playoff team like OKC going all out, or that Casper Ware is as good as Westbrook or anything, we are just proud that Melb did alot better than most were expecting, how can you not be!!

Reply #649688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its a great result and boosts the profile of the league.

I think whoever is running the NBL twitter account since the game is embarrassing the league.

Reply #649689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to Cram you can be proud of Melbourne United, but you can't be proud of Aussies.

Seriously, who gives a fk... the point is promotion of the league.

The thigns Cram is concerned about aren't relevant to mainstream appeal, discussion or awareness.

Reply #649690 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

On the Holt thing it was discovered after he signed at MU that he had a Phillipino passport but ended up being injured before it became a factor to consider.

Had MU known he had a dual passport he would have signed as a local under the same rule that allowed Wesley to play.

This season Wesley is still a local but Holt isn't. This will be Wesley's last season as a local as the rule has been changed around Oceania players eligibility to Asia which Guam isn't in.

Happy to be proven wrong but that is my mail on this.

Reply #649691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dome Rat if we are still in Oceania but playing in Asia wouldnt both regions count now? How can it go to Oceania only to now being Asia only.

Summary of this thread:

1.) Everyone is happy
2.) Except Cram (Melb Tigers bitterness)

Reply #649693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt, played the whole season im pretty sure, are you thinking of Stephen Dennis re the injury.

I heard they looked at keeping him as a local the next year, but he didnt fit the citeria, hence he is still a import today

Reply #649695 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If you think being the exception worries me you're mistaken. I've made mu case and I'm fine with eveeyone else sticking to their guns.

Reply #649696 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Holt was and still is an import.

Will be interesting to see if true Wesley can't play as local anymore after this season. Not sure he would get picked up by anyone as an import.

Reply #649697 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Well then I slump corrected and have shot my informer

Reply #649699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt wasn't considered under the Oceania rule. It was the league trying to introduce an Asian player rule conveniently at the time that they (Melbourne) had a top-line Asian player playing for them as an import.

Reply #649707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United trying to capitalise on the game this morning by sending SMS to people outside of Victoria with "interstate membership" offer.

Reply #649708 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Isn't this supposed to be on espn2 now? get this baseball OUTTA HERE!

Reply #649720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recored the live broadcast to fast forward through ads. LOL @ watching the replay which can be delayed due to playoff baseball which always goes over the allotted time.

Reply #649722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great effort regardless of whether United had a few G League fillins, they were never going to make a difference because theres a reason they're not in the nba. Probably goes to show the only difference the NBA and NBL is the absolute top line players in the NBA.

Also want to hear thoughts on Terrence Ferguson, talked trash before game and probably had his stock dip after this game. He won't be able to guard witches hats in the nba and his jumper is shakier than Andre Roberson's

Reply #649727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #649727

I thought the same about Ferguson, made me think his transition to the NBA and his recent trash talk after Adelaide took him on for a year to assist him in his dream was a bit of a kick in the guts.

He was never once a factor in a 36ers game so not sure what makes him thinks he's going to be now. He should look to Brandon Jennings and see where his mouth got him.

Reply #649728 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

I hope nobody from San Francisco was proud of their city for winning the NBA title last year. I don't even know if any of the players were from the area! Try winning with a team of only professional basketballers born within 6 blocks of the oracle areana then maybe they can be proud!

Reply #649730 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Cram wants an all Aussie league. What a muppet...

Reply #649731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the sounds of Cram also wants Ned Kelly as the NBL logo

Reply #649732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the haters realise NBA has imports too, they are called Dirk, Pau and Marc Gasol, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, etc etc some very key players in NBA titles have also been imports, just not spoken about in the NBA, as they get the bigger picture,

Reply #649733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW ferguson talked trash to Melb, tounge in cheak, he said he was an Adelaide boy and gave respect to the NBL

Reply #649734 | Report this post

Rabbit41  
Years ago

In recent years, EuroLegaue teams have a bunch of wins against NBA teams, playing under the NBA rules. And also, there were several games where Israeli League, Brazilian League, and even Chinese League teams played NBA teams very close.

The reality is....the level of the NBA is extremely overrated. It's the best leagye, but just a slight bit better than say the EuroLeague....while the hype and marketing claims it's miles and miles better, which it very clearly is not, base don the results of a few dozen games recently against other leagues.

Reply #649738 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

A lot of people have taken two arguments and fused them into one. There's a) how competitive the NBL is and b) how good Australian players are. Big difference

Reply #649741 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Seriously..why would anybody take any negatives out of this game and the result. The only negative thing that happened was that Goulding and Hooley got injured and couldn't play.

Even Melb Utd taking the opportunity to include a couple of local G league guys is a positive, it means they can have a look at these guys and then if Ware gets picked up by an NBA team they might have someone they want to get on board.

Reply #649743 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, Spot Up.
The reality is that regardless of the importance of this game or the rotations used by the Thunder, this was a team full of NBA players playing on their home court to their normal rules, and an understrength NBL team held their own under some pretty trying travel circumstances.
Fair enough to keep a lid on how carried away to get about it, but to me there is nothing remotely negative you can say about it either. It was an undisputed positive for the NBL. The only debate is how big.

Having said that, I very much doubt that the Brisbane game is going to go a similar way based on what they showed in Perth the other night.

Reply #649744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"A lot of people have taken two arguments and fused them into one. There's a) how competitive the NBL is and b) how good Australian players are. Big difference"

Not really, given the NBL is made up of mostly Australian players, and Australian players overseas have been performing well in good competitions for quite a while now.

For example, an Adelaide team led mostly by Aussie players last Thursday put up a similar performance against Melbourne that OKC did.

Now I'm not saying that Adelaide are as good as OKC, we all know that's not the case, but it shows the Australians in the NBL play at a high level.

Reply #649745 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754