Quiet one
Years ago

Bogut tips Newley for NBA

Found this story- also mentions Brad Hill down the bottom:

Australian Andrew Bogut believes Townsville star Brad Newley will soon follow him into the NBA.

Bogut was the No.1 pick in the NBA draft in June and is one of two Australians along with Luke Schenscher, who was recruited by Denver as a free agent.

He believes the 2005-06 Philips Championship, which begins this weekend, will be an exciting one and it will not be long before stars like Newley are pushing for inclusion in the NBA draft.

He made special mention of Newley, but said he needs to stack on some more weight if he wants to play in America.
That's really Brad's only flaw, if he can bulk up a bit he'll be fine," he told AAP.

Newley was named the NBL's rookie of the year last season, an accolade that Bogut was never able to win having bypassed the national league for the NBA.

But he said fewer players are looking to head offshore straight away and are more content to play in Australia first before looking at America or Europe.

"It's definitely changed in the last couple of years because a lot of the younger guys are staying in the NBL," he said.

"Back when I was around it was the older guys like the Andrew Gazes and Mark Bradtkes playing all the minutes."

"So a guy like me coming in, you wouldn't get those minutes straight away and that was a big incentive for me to go to college [in America]."

"But now a lot of those guys have retired and moved on and you've got guys like Brad Newley, Brad Hill and Rhys Carter who are going to play valuable minutes at a young age to help them get to the next level to the big clubs in Europe and the NBA."

Topic #4192 | Report this topic