ME
Two weeks ago

NBL's new broadcast deal

So the NBL has a new broadcast deal and it's a modest but meaningful upgrade with the main takeaway being a Live FTA game on Ten's HD main channel on Sundays.

This is about what I expected. With limited competitoon in the summer sporting markets, especially on Sundays, a FTA Sunday game gives the league great visibility.

Link

Topic #51980 | Report this topic

KET  
Two weeks ago

It's great that they’ve managed to get that Sunday arvo game on the main channel, but I’m surprised with:

1. No reference to any other games on FTA
2. It sounds like a one year deal - was expecting 3-5 years
3. No rumour on the money side has come out

It looks like the NBL might feel there’s better value to be had in a years’ time, especially if they’re trying to align it with WNBL?

Reply #941432 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two weeks ago

I think the term length may be a result of 10's financial position more than anything.

Reply #941433 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two weeks ago

I'd say we don't know who's going to own 10 in a year with Paramount up for sale, also I think ESPN's deal with Foxtel might be up around the same time.

Matt Logue's report on the deal on News Corp mentioned the deal is believed to be worth "upwards of $15 million".

Reply #941434 | Report this post

KET  
Two weeks ago

Yeah so that sounds like they probably didn't see a financial rise that perhaps we would have liked to see, towards that 18-22 mil per year area.

I take it that we will see a reduction from 2 games to 1 on FTA with, I assume, no extra game on Peach

Reply #941436 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two weeks ago

It seems like a bit of a "lets see how this goes" deal. But it's a vote of confidence that channel 10 has given it a main channel HD game. That's not nothing. It shows promising growth across an extended period has impressed them enough to take the next step with the league - a league that it has tried with and often 'failed with' in the past. It pays to remember that before LK we had a Fox Sports deal that didnt even broadcast every game, and where an average of 1K-5K people would watch a game in the country. This is slow, methodical yet persistent progress.

Reply #941437 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Two weeks ago

Power of a game on the main channel shouldn't be underestimated. It's still the best way to get decent reach in this country.

Makes me nostalgic for the Bill Woods / Steve Carfino days in the 90s tho

Reply #941447 | Report this post

Ski 76  
Two weeks ago

15m deal

Reply #941449 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two weeks ago

Makes me nostalgic for the Bill Woods / Steve Carfino days in the 90s tho

Don't forget a youthful Tim Bailey.

Reply #941482 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last week

"More eyeballs than ever before will view a booming NBL competition after the league announced a bumper broadcast partnership believed to be worth upwards of $15 million next season, highlighted by a return to a free-to-air main channel for the first time in a decade.

In a bid to maintain momentum following a record-breaking 2023-24 season, the league has renewed its deal with ESPN and News Corp.

The NBL has also secured a new free-to-air deal with Channel 10, featuring matches on the main channel, including the marquee 2:30pm Sunday afternoon game. The deal is a one year rollover of the previous rights agreement encompassing the financial rise.

The league's broadcast audience increased by 26 percent last season, off the back of a similar rise in 2023/2024.

The NBL has come off a landmark year for attendances with 40 sell-outs across the campaign, more than a million attendees at games for the first time in league history, and crowds increased by 11 percent.

NBL CEO David Stevenson expects that audience number to keep growing off the back of this new deal.

NBL CEO David Stevenson expects audience to keep growing. Picture: Getty Images
NBL CEO David Stevenson expects audience to keep growing. Picture: Getty Images
"We are thrilled to partner with organisations that share a strong passion for the NBL and basketball, and we have that with ESPN, Network 10 and News Corp Australia," Stevenson said.

“Combined with ESPN’s extensive coverage, returning the NBL to a main free-to-air channel in HD on 10 is a huge step forward and means we will be seen by even more sports fans around the country.

“We want to thank Network 10 for having the confidence in the NBL and helping solidify our standing as a major player on the sporting landscape.

“News Corp Australia’s platform is the biggest news organisation in the country and provides the NBL with incredible coverage and we look forward to more stories being shared about the league, our clubs and players.

“This broadcast and media deal with ESPN, Network 10, and News Corp Australia is a major endorsement of the League’s rapid growth and growing stature on the sporting landscape.”

The NBL had a massive rise in attendance last season. Picture: Getty Images
The NBL had a massive rise in attendance last season. Picture: Getty Images
ESPN will continue to be the main broadcast partner, while games will continue to be aired via Kayo and Foxtel.

Michael Wilkins, Managing Director, News Sport Network, is committed to offering NBL fans a multi-layered coverage again in the 2024/25 season.

“We are thrilled to continue to provide the best coverage of basketball in the country on our platforms to our 13 million sports fans,” Wilkins said.

More Coverage

NBL free agency latest: Every confirmed recruit so far

Government responds to JackJumpers push for new home base
“We are also pleased to be able to continue to operate the official fantasy game of the NBL, SuperCoach NBL, which had a very strong start in its inaugural season.”

Under the League’s new broadcast deal, all games will be available on ESPN, Foxtel, Kayo Sports and Fetch TV.

ESPN will also continue to provide strong coverage for fans with weekly news and shows, including on digital channels."

Thats from Codesports

Reply #941562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Tue 21 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754