Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Movements

It's that time that coaches have been signed & players start moving.

We can see some movement by looking at Tuesday reserves but I'm sure there's plenty more behind the scenes.

Starting with coaches I heard KB is not continuing at Norwood & the assistant he sacked last year has taken over? Is Hawkes continuing at North? Any other movement in men or women?

What about players - who is moving & have there been any imports signed or resigned?

Topic #41959 | Report this topic

Annon  
Years ago

How can Woodville afford 2 imports and have no girls program in SA ??

Reply #651000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely we don't have to go through the cost of an import on a work holiday visa again

Especially when the American pays his or her own flight , they are cheaper than local Australian players that get paid

Reply #651006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus doesn't their men's coach work in job recruitment? Easy to find them jobs to make them self sufficient.

Reply #651022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike McKay - Norwood Womens Coach

Reply #651063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love coaching to do premier league. No real money in it.

Reply #651129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much are we talking? Like $10-$15k? Or like $5K or less?

Reply #651140 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

Southern signed C J Turnage from Saginaw Valley State a couple of weeks ago.

Reply #651142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's an early import signing. Is he straight out of college? Anyone seen him play?

Any other clubs made any signings?

Reply #651148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern to spend up big again this season??????

Reply #651152 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Turnage has some ups. I think he is only about 6'5 but i would imagine he will play as a "big" at Southern?

Reply #651156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood men are the ones spending big next season.

Reply #651191 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Who are the Norwood men after?

Reply #651211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Locked in Stanbridge for big money & rumours of them bringing in a big name Aussie or import.

Reply #651214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Norwood. Nothing like bleeding your junior dry just to try and win a PL title. Idiots.

Can't say they aren't consistent though.

Reply #651216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood are desperate though for players, but money given to Stanbridge is ridiculous, 10k for an undersized power forward that can't shoot. For all the talk that they've lost so many to college, it's more like four. The rest left because they weren't given opportunities at premier league because all the minutes went to veterans so they left or quit. They're actually ringing players that "retired" a couple of years ago in the hope of being able to get enough players. Went from being strong in reserves and 23s to bottom last year. Couldn't match the 30k given to Drmic from southern so will be interesting to see what they're planning to spend. But expect junior fees to increase to even more ridiculous levels.

Reply #651242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just start a 'I hate Norwood' thread so we can move on from your relentless trolling of Norwood . It's getting boring !

Reply #651252 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

Fans are going to really like Turnage at Southern. Really good on the offensive end with a high basketball IQ. Great finisher around the rim with either hand, above average rebounder and excellent passer. Not a good enough shooter to be a stretch 4 but his skill set will play very well in this league.

Reply #651257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not just Norwood that sacrifice Juniors for Premier League success.

Southern Girls program is becoming irrelevant. No Under 18 Teams, Under 23 team forfeiting last night due to lack of players.

BUT they won the PL! Big deal. They did not pick up one junior because of their Premier League success.

When will Clubs learn PL success means nothing for a junior program.

Reply #651259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would dispute that - Southern have 3 girls teams in 12, 14 & 16 girls for the first time in recent memory. It may not fix everything overnight but I think it's a contributing factor to building the program as a whole.

Reply #651260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me clarify too - I think teams investing only in PL are doing it wrong. It appears from a distance Southern are at least trying to invest across the board.

Reply #651261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANY excessive loss on premier league, to recruit over your own juniors is doing it wrong. It is effectively using your juniors money to recruit over your juniors. Use that money to reduce junior fees, employ more staff for juniors etc. or pay your own junior kids moving into seniors.

If premier league had sponsors and gate takings to make it profitable then fine but right now if clubs are using junior's money to recruit over juniors then shame on them.

Reply #651263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EdZepp if this guy is so good why is he playing Premier League?

Reply #651267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he answered that himself. No jump shot. Looks similar to their previous two imports. Think he might be more similar to Starling than Nwelue.

Reply #651306 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

Undersized 4 and doesn't have the ability to stretch the floor. Rebounds bigger than his size and is a really good finisher around the rim

Good player who was All Conference for all 4 years in one of the toughest NCAA D2 leagues in the states.

Not sure what his other options were but I can think of a lot worse places to start a pro career than Adelaide

Reply #651366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHA, Drmic $30k. Way off mate.

Reply #651384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what he told Norwood they needed to match to get him

Reply #651388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that was his price to play with the Webber's?

Reply #651406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood also made the same offer (10K) to a tigers player and were keen to have them both

word is they also have a big money offer into an NBL player as well.

Flames burning through the cash.

Reply #651445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder Norwood want to get their hands on the cash from junior district competition going to BSA if those quoted numbers are half right

Reply #651557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hearing Norwood are throwing money at other PL players from other clubs over what has already been mentioned.

Reply #653162 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

Not sure how the money works but looking at it strictly from a minutes standpoint. Norwood presumably has both Webber's, Matty Lycett and the big from Woodville. Assume the plan is to sign two imports and if reports here are correct one to two more players from other clubs?

I don't recall too many clubs going more than 7 deep with quality depth? Spot minutes were usually given to younger players from the club?

Reply #653221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add DJ potentially to that list

Reply #653243 | Report this post

EdZepp  
Years ago

Southern announced the signing of Sam Johns for next season. What other moves have been announced or potentially rumored?

Reply #659999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Norwood’s plan is going down so well. Two lower division Norwood teams played each other and for their double home game had to travel all the way to Starplex to play. Their new super dooper courts just aren’t enough for the numbers they have. Do you think the parents paying the same money as the upper divisions is going to be happy with that along with lesser coaching. And Southern make money off the door with club supporters paying a fair price at the door to support their own team because they know it goes back in to the premier league kitty. Reap what you sow so they give the supporters a team that they can enjoy supporting. Seems like a good plan to me. As for player movements, for many of these players it is going to be less about money and more about the doors that can be opened when they leave premier league because of who they play for and play with improving their game for the next gig. It’s about building a resume of success and that is why some will not play for certain clubs no matter how much they throw at them. It has to be worth more than that to keep the player in the game for longer with its limited opportunity to make a buck at this level. Andnit has to be fun. If the juniors support the premier league players they can make a buck or two off individuals and group work as well so they pay back He club and get engage. Few clubs are doing this well. Again, you reap what you sow.

Reply #660002 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754