Duke Fan
Years ago

Gaze is the most inept coach in Aussie pro sport

Yes....that's any sport.
All we saw last year (and in the brief moments this year) was goofy Drewy being a great guy when things were going well. When things are tough he's anchored to the bench with a quivering bottom lip. Get off your arse mate! Change things up! Throw a chair! Get a tech!
Your team aren't listening to you

Just sack him and his mate Copeland asap (does Lanard actually contribute anything?)

Give Kendall the gig. Hire BJ Carter as his assistant. Two young guys who played for Gorj and will at least have a crack.

The organisation currently is fucking embarrassing.

Andrew I'm sure you're a nice bloke. Go and coach your kids or something that will make you smile. You're not a pro coach mate

Topic #41981 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget JvG who is the worst exec in sport. He hired Gaze as coach.

Reply #651495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Eddie McGuire and Micky Malthouse, it will eventually come out that this has all been a ploy to destroy his dear Melbourne Tigers bitter rivals.

Reply #651499 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Gaze won't get sacked. He might resign though if the pressure becomes too great but even that's unlikely. You can tell by his coaching, he's got a stubborn streak.

JVG won't get sacked either, not as long Harvey Lister owns the team. Its Harvey that personally headhunted and lured JVG from the QLD government to run the Kings IIRC.

The anger is growing but they'll keep ignoring it unless it hits their pockets big time.

Reply #651500 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gaze is being paid way too much as Kings coach to walk away, IMO.

I feel for Kings fans I would be ropeable with what has been going on there last season too.

Reply #651501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duke Fan is correct, Kendall should get the gig.

Reply #651503 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They were actually playing great D in the 'Kings then daylight days, but you really wouldn't expect an offensive force like Gaze to have a team playing good D, would you?

Reply #651504 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Please keep Gaze, he's great the the rest of the NBL.

Reply #651505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendal with and old head, Gordie would be good.

Reply #651513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Gaze and JVG was over in the US during the NBA summer league which you think they would have seen numerous stud imports to sign for this season but yet they come back with only 1 in Ellis.

How does that happen!?

What makes things even more embarrassing for the club is.. Signing Dane, Singh, Blanchfield, Thoesby which are all average players at best even on in local competition.

I say to Harvey, make the decision ASAP to SACK
JVG for blowing smoke up your ass about how great he and gaze are. SACK Gaze for showing zero ability to coach at professional level!

SACK Copeland for doing jack shit other than trolling the Sydney night clubs.

The Kings are once again being labelled as a JOKE
in the nbl!

Reply #651515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow if Lister personally headhunted JvG. lol...

Reply #651516 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Honestly,

Looking at the lineup Sydney has do you see any coach getting them to play at elite level?

They just have too many guys who drift in and out of the game with hardly any consistent defenders.

Is Gaze the best coach in the NBL? Possibly not but what he has to work with is limited.

Reply #651519 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Manu

" but you really wouldn't expect an offensive force like Gaze to have a team playing good D, would you?"

it actually does not always go like that, Boy Goj was a open gate in his playing days, and Phil "just let them go and play" Smyth was a Defensive all star.

That said Gaze is still fairly clearly the second worst Australian born NBL head coach of this century.

Reply #651522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Kendall? You have to be kidding. He hasn't coached for more than two years and that's a Comets team blessed with talent. And then the comment about signing BJ as AC. It takes time to become a pro (good) coach and ex-players who have been coaching for 2yrs need WAY more time. They need to get a real coach. Not a figure head, not someone who can draw a crowd.

Reply #651525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear another BJ, Brendan Joyce, is trying to worm his way into another coaching gig.

Reply #651526 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It was just a joke, but people somehow think there's a legitimate connection there

Reply #651527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many in truths in this topic. Last I remember that JVG wasn't recruited from the Gov't.
Kendall. Last time I heard about him was "The most uncoachable player I have ever coached".
Lanard, great guy and the best person to find the nightclubs. What is he doing there other than being Gazes bum boy. Tigers through and through.
Gaze simply can't coach we all know that except JVG and Lister.
Each year since the Kings have been back in the NBL they have gone backwards. Forget the hype of crowds, how about win on the court.

"What makes things even more embarrassing for the club is.. Signing Dane, Singh, Blanchfield, Thoesby which are all average players at best even on in local competition."
JUnkettes for the boys. Year after year they all go over there and come up empty. Recycling chump NBA players or damaged goods player Childress.
Give BJ a shot as an Asst at least.
Moose, Heal, Cotter, et. al. Terrible.
Other than the Glory years with Goorjian's era the 30th anniversary next year is looming. Please someone fix it before they fold again.
As a long time Kings fan this could be the lowest of lows ever seen.

Reply #651530 | Report this post

NBL Burger King  
Years ago

Any footage of the press,conference?

Reply #651536 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Kings line up, as I predicted, will struggle against taller physical teams. Kings are relying too much from the outside game, and if they're not dropping, will struggle. Ellis as good as he is, can't do everything every week. Need an import centre and an inside game, otherwise the Gaze/JVG experiment is over.

Reply #651539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many in truths in this topic. Last I remember that JVG wasn't recruited from the Gov't.

Yeah what a joke that comment was. JvG would've been promoting himself the second he heard AEG were looking for a GM and he would've been spruiking his Bullet$$$ days.

I remember when Bullet$$$ were about to fold but JvG told the players to save the club take pay cuts and then it was exposed if the players were going to do it JvG wasn't taking a cut himself. LOL, headhunted... yeah right!

Reply #651543 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Unfortunately for you, its not a joke.

An excerpt from Matt McQuade interview with JVG:

Q: You've been out of basketball for a few years. When you were approached with this proposal to lead the Kings, what were your initial feelings?

A: It’s interesting, because I’ve really enjoyed that broadening experience I’ve had over the last five years. The years I spent with the Broncos were tremendous - I think the club leads the NRL in most commercial categories – and my time as a chief advisor to the Queensland Sports Minister was a real eye-opener. Once you’re in that role you really get a chance to get to know the sporting fabric of the state.

So while it was interesting for me to hear there was this potential basketball role and Harvey was keen for me to consider it, I still had to really consider my decision because I was in a phase of my career I was enjoying. But in the end, your first love is usually your strongest love and that’s no exception for me and the game of basketball. I’m glad I’m back in it.

My condolences...

Reply #651547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze won't get fired. He will resign to 'be closer with my family who are still in melbourne'. Then he can go back to seabl/bigv and have he same terrible coaching record in those leagues.

Reply #651550 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Some of you guys are being pretty savage just quietly.

Reply #651552 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Team chemistry has plenty to do with it. Dean Vickerman wasn't catching too much heat last season as assistant, and we generally accept that he can coach.

Sydney, every year since they rejoined the NBL, have 3-4 returning players each season. Its almost start from scratch every year. I have only been watching them closely again for 2 years, in that time I have seen Al Harrington, Damion James, Josh Childress, Marcus Thornton, Steve Blake, Josh Powell, Greg Whittington, Michael Bryson, Garrett Jackson, Travis Leslie, Perry Ellis and finally Jeremy Kendle. That's just the damn imports! Can anyone find a team with less lineup stability than Sydney?

It's also hard as a fan to buy into the team when its such a high player turnover rate each season. That's probably why the Garlepp situation hurts fans, he along with Cadee are the only links to even 2 seasons ago.

Reply #651556 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Gaze's lack of offensive development from year 1 to 2 is astounding! Its no about talent its about the lack of development from year 1 to 2 with the same lack of cohesion occurring and the execution of the same sets he ran out of timeouts still being used!

Paulie Henare is Gaze's only saving grace as he is even worse with the most puzzling rotations in the NBL and running the same sets that Lemanis put in when he was there just not knowing them as well!

Reply #651558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to argue with what Chris says. It's something that's hurt them badly, on and off the floor, over the past 7 years - the inability to develop any kind of core group like Perth as a notable example.

It's not the easiest thing to do in a market as volatile as Sydney. The fans want instant gratification and aren't prepared to be that patient. So you see a lot of changes year to year when patience is more prudent. And let's be honest, the spectre of Brian Goorjian still looms large. When you're that successful right from the start and you maintain that every year you are there, it's a tough act to follow.

It doesn't help that In the first six years or so back in the league, the team was saddled with an amateurish ownership group who had zero idea of how to build a program yet interfered with the team at every turn. So even with all AEG's money and professionalism, they are still coming from a very low base. Rebuilding a winning program from the ashes of what the previous owners left will take years.

What Harvey Lister needs to understand is that a) Andrew Gaze can't coach and b) if Van Groningen is going to stay as MD, he can't have the complete say in building this team. They need to do it with the full blessing and involvement of the head coach and maybe look for people to advise them. And they need to be patient and block out the external noise. JVG has failed in two successive seasons and needs help to get this thing fixed.

Reply #651559 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Some of you guys are being pretty savage just quietly.

All born out of intense frustration with the Kings once again going style over substance with an unproven coach... Rumours were that Shawn Dennis was the front runner for the role before Gaze got it, and we had a MUCH more experienced and proven assistant in Vickerman, but the powers went with a higher profile name... That might have paid off a little bit with bringing a name in that the general public knows even if they're not really basketball fans, but it hasn't paid off anywhere close to having a winning season and a playoff run would have...

And it will keep working against the team negatively the more he loses it and gets on the air dropping f-bombs (not something that i have a problem with in general, but Gaze looked like he's seriously losing it at that point, which isn't good for your head coach) and the team keeps losing...

The only thing Sydney crowds love more than a high profile name is actually winning and so many road games against teams I can't see them pulling off a miracle against, could bring them home 1-5 and bottom of the ladder with no excuses... I wonder how they're going to fill Qudos then? Have Gaze and Copes in their old Tigers gear walking down George St handing out free tickets?

Gaze won't get sacked. He might resign though if the pressure becomes too great but even that's unlikely. You can tell by his coaching, he's got a stubborn streak.

This was evident with his lineups last season and persistence with was not working... It's showing it's ugly head even more this season with the GarleppGate and inability to do what needs to be done...

Any other proper coach would kill to have a team with Lisch, Ellis and Newls on it, let alone other role playing talent like Blanchfield and Cadee (who when used properly are very effective) and young talent like Humphries...

Poor management, poor coaching, and it will be to the detriment of the team... The "I told you so" line will need to form in an orderly way behind me...

Reply #651560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol jvg needs help, he's the messiah, that's why he puts these teams together. The previous owners were interfering, but it was there money, AEG have given jvg free range and spent three times the $$$ only to be worse. :))

Reply #651561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are four simple factors at play here.

1 Only four returnees when every other team has eight or nine.

2 Not signing an experienced centre.

3 Not replacing Lisch with a genuine PG who can pick things up quickly.

4 Having an inexperienced coach who can't make adjustments on the fly.

Get two of the first three right and this team is good, get three of them right and it is a contender, but with none of them right number four becomes a real issue.

Reply #651562 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Just out of curiosity does anyone in OZ (i.e. BA or someone else) run high level coaching courses? You hear about potential AFL coaches completing 'Level 4' coaching accreditations.

Reply #651565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A coaching course wouldn't help Gaze, he is past it!

Reply #651585 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think people are being slightly unfair on Gaze. Is there anyone in Australia who knows and loves the game with the same passion and intent as Andrew Gaze? I'd doubt it. His results are not dissimilar to how Andrej Lemanis started, and at least Lemanis was an assistant for a few years; they've really thrown Gaze in the deep end. Gaze will take time to be a great coach but I think he has the potential to do it. It just wont happen over night.

What is really, really not helping are the player recruitments, and that comes down to management. Who in their right mind makes a 19 year old the squad's main center? Who holds back on an import when you clearly need a proper team-running point guard and a proper center? This comes down to JVG, who deserves much more of the blame than Gaze does.

Reply #651589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SteveK2 nowhere in that quote does he say he was headhunted (LOL at the notion), and he basically admits basketball is his #1 go to. He would've heard of the role and gone from there full speed to get it.

Reply #651593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG is a master spruiker/spinner, including making you think they (listed) came to him.

Reply #651594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lister*

Reply #651595 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Good points paul, 1 & 2 allude to the mistake of letting Aleks Maric go. In hindsight, that was a grave error with unfolding significant consequences.

His stint in Bahrain has concluded and he is back in Sydney I believe. There is a small window to rectify that error, but would the decision makers have the courage to do so?

As for 4 players returning, with the exile of Garlepp, effectively its only 3.

If I might add another point, its establishing a winning culture based on defense and hard work, not PR rubbish of nice blokes with good character.

Reply #651601 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, that's a pretty good point 5.

Reply #651605 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Not in the article, but it was known in certain circles that he was Harvey's first choice and approached. If you wish, you could do some research and politely ask them yourself. They have a long working history before this latest collaboration.

Reply #651606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that's on Lister then.

All JvG did was spend Groves' money and still only came out of that era with one title for the Bullets despite all the $$$$ thrown around.

Reply #651608 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

1) More like 3.15 players returning... But out of last seasons team, apart from Maric (see my hundred other rants on the topic) how many should have come back? Sure, it goes back to recruiting properly and for the long term, which I hoped they could have started last season, but it hasn't happened this season either...

2) Maric, Maric, Maric, Maric... I know he's getting on and his numbers didn't reflect his true worth last season (despite Gaze doing his best to not use him properly), and I'm all for locking in Isaac for at least 3yrs (although they only managed 1) and planning for the future, but who could have been better for Isaac to learn from and bang against in training? As of last night when I stalked him and asked him if he can please please please come back, the Kings don't want him... A huge bloody mistake and they should go back to him on bended knee begging forgiveness...

3) This more goes back to not recruiting a proper PG to begin with... Even with Lisch, the team looked disorganised... Lisch IS capable of handling the ball and pulling of some nifty passes, but a proper PG that does not make and I'll say it again, as JvG and Gaze are quite happy to bring the fact that he's won the MVP twice, his MVP seasons weren't at the PG position... Fix this initially, and there would be no need to knee-jerk the wrong player now... However, even not taking that first step, not going with a top shelf PG NOW and then moving Lisch to SG when h e comes back, is a huge mistake... Daly showed enough in the pre-season to fill in for a dozen minutes when needed and apparently held his own last night, which only reinforces that... But now the Kings are STILL without a decent pg AND big...

4) Gaze proved this last season and I can't see why he would have changed this season, and that was with a really good assistant coach behind him that he didn't seem to listen to most of the time (but at least had the players ears at training)

If I might add another point, its establishing a winning culture based on defense and hard work, not PR rubbish of nice blokes with good character.

*preach*

Reply #651609 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Can't agree with your 3, Wookiee. Cadee and Lisch between them are more than capable at PG, they showed that early last year.

Some might prefer a different style of PG, which is OK, but the reality is very few teams have been successful with import PGs in the modern NBL.

But now, with Lisch out, they needed someone who could defend pick-and-rolls and pick up the offence quickly so it wasn't all left to Cadee.

As for 1, it's not how many should have come back, it's more about the reality of putting a mostly new team up against established teams. They are at a disadvantage early in the season.

FWIW, I think Maric, WMW and Moller were all players worth keeping for different reasons if possible.

Reply #651612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Gaze, and make Garlepp the coach!!
Atleast he will be used for SOMETHING!!

Poor guy, has gone from club captain and MVP, to absolute last in the rotation.

Reply #651614 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

FWIW I actually thought WMW as a development ? playerin his first season, was twice the PG Cadee ever was, for the whole of cadee's time in Adelaide

Reply #651617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric, Hill and Moller could all play defence and take rebounds something clearly missing from the Kings this season. All were not used enough or correctly last year. A lot of the loyal kings fans plus gaze were very disappointed when Moller left and Maric.

Reply #651619 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Chatting to someone involved in the Kings last pre-season they thought Maric was going to be a star in the NBL because he had come back from Europe.

I was stunned by their lack of knowledge of both Maric and world basketball. Perhaps they didn't want to re-sign him because they thought he'd underperformed, whereas he did exactly what Aleks does.

Reply #651622 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Moller and WMW yes, completely forgot about them, my apologies :)

Moller especially leaves a holea nd I was really looking forward to seeing how he would go with more responsibility, but with an off season with the team and proper pre-season with the intention that he'd be getting more minutes, WMW could have come along gangbusters this season too...

With Moller, I'm curious as to how much he actually got as the Kings probably caught a whiff of being able to get Blanchfield and obviously it's an either or and went for the higher profile name, instead of the player that would fill a need and also a Sydney local and breed some local depth and connection with the fanbase...

Will have to agree to disagree with our initial PG choices, Paul and fully agree on them dropping the ball on the replacement player... However, if they DID get that type of player to start with, like the player I suggested, they wouldn't have this issue now... They would have been more organised on the court to start the season with someone who could get the ball to so many of the offensive weapons... But again, each to their own opinion...

Reply #651625 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are more than one way to skin the cat and they can be equally effective.

They were very organised to start last year with Cadee and Lisch playing PG, and they would have also been organised with a good import PG.

Reply #651627 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

The two best import pgs in the nbl are ware and cotton. I just think someone like lisch should be sg as he didn't get any open shots this season so far. They needed to get McKay. An athletic tall who could get boards and block shots. Cadee is a shoot first pg who makes James harden look like defensive player of the year.

Reply #651639 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"the reality is very few teams have been successful with import PGs in the modern NBL."

Could you elaborate, Paul?

Perth with Damian Martin at PG is the only example in support I can think of, and even they had to recruit Cotton last year to take them over the top. NZ had Cedrick Jackson and most recently Dillard, Adelaide had Randle, Illawara had Rotnei Clark etc. Maybe Cairns with Gliddon, but they also had Trice last year.

Reply #651643 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm trying to think of successful teams recently that haven't had import point guards outside of Perth with Martin. CJ at NZ is the only one I can think of, but they had success after that with Jackson.
My memory isn't the greatest mind you!

Reply #651645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A PG is the key to your team. Without it you go nowhere. Kings are at that point right now.

Reply #651649 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Some of the comments (and thread title) are a little harsh, but nonetheless the consensus is still that Gaze is a sub-par professional head coach at best.

If the Kings are content with a sub-par head coach (Gaze or otherwise), that's another issue.

Reply #651652 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

If Gaze had completely zero say in the team I'll cut him a tiny bit of slack. I think a coach who has zero say in his team is a fool, but I'll cut him that tiny bit.

If he was involved in putting the team together then he deserves every bit of criticism coming his way.

Player turnover...blah blah blah
Injuries....blah blah blah
X's & O's....blah blah blah

My biggest gripe is how he reacts to adversity in games. He gives up! When he sits down with the arms folded and the pouty look on his face he's telling his team that not only does he not believe they can win, he believes they can't compete. It sh*ts me completely and the players follow his lead and give up too.

Some teams are lucky to have that one or two special players who drive the team culture. Apart from that it comes from the coach. If your freaking game plan isn't working you have plan B, C & D that you've worked on at practice and the COACH changes things up. Coach the damn team or let someone else do it. Show your team you're going to compete for 40 minutes no matter what the score is and they might do it too. Use the bench. Gorj had a great saying "I only need 5 guys". Stop being their buddy and be their coach and find the guys who will play hard

That's if anyone still wants to play for him after the disgusting performance at the press conference

Reply #651654 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You would have to think it would irk the players knowing the coach is being paid more than all of them too.

Reply #651655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to disgusting press conference?

Reply #651658 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth with Damian Martin at PG is the only example in support I can think of, and even they had to recruit Cotton last year to take them over the top. NZ had Cedrick Jackson and most recently Dillard, Adelaide had Randle, Illawara had Rotnei Clark etc. Maybe Cairns with Gliddon, but they also had Trice last year.
When did Clarke and Gliddon become point guards?

Reply #651663 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Kobe, since when is a small guard that brings the ball up more than occasionally, initiates offense and guards opposition PGs not a PG?

Reply #651667 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

'Combo guard', whatever you want to call them. It's just semantics dude.

Reply #651668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any links to the press conference

Reply #651672 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I don't know how to link to the press conference, but to paraphrase:

"My game plan was ace! But you'd never know because my team is shite and couldn't execute it"

Quite possibly true but the sort of thing that should be said to the team behind closed doors. If there was a problem with team harmony before there certainly will be now. When players can't trust their coach.....you're done

Reply #651679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. If so it goes to show how entitled Gaze is. Just because you have a plan doesn't mean it's going to be executed well unless you drill and communicate to the players well.

Reply #651681 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Here is part of the interview and what Duke Fan was paraphrasing.

www.nbl.com.au/video/direct/1tZGYzZDE6Tv7vWx4snINqI4taJ01ggt

To be fair, he never said his plan was great.

In fact, he said it could be 'shitty', but he would have liked to see it executed.

At the end of the day the buck still stops with the coach.

Reply #651682 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

As of last night when I stalked him and asked him if he can please please please come back, the Kings don't want him

I commend your bravery in stalking a 6'11", 125kg balding behemoth that can headlock Wortho into submission Wookiee...

Out of interest, did he actually reply?

At the end of the day the buck still stops with the coach.

This. I wasn't impressed with Drewey in that interview. Contrary to what he said, he is trying to exonerate himself from this mess by going public with things that should stay behind closed doors.

As a high profile head coach, he is the leader of this team. Not Kevin Lisch and not Brad Newley. A lot of these players, especially the young newcomers look up to him. Blaming them in public when these guys look to him for leadership in difficult time is disgraceful. That is not leadership, its a cop out.

Its easy to watch the replay and point your fingers at which players responsible for those defensive lapses. Cadee can't guard Sosa, the others tried to help him out and paid the price for leaving their assignments. Blanchfield and Newley was overpowered by Vukona at the 4.

Humphries was so concerned with picking up cheap fouls, he failed to assert himself defensively. Ellis struggles to contain Pledger due to size mismatch and isn't long enough to discourage Sosa, Newbill or Ili's penetrations.

I hate to single out Thoseby, but he was the catalyst of the defensive rot in the last 4-5 mins of the 2nd quarter. Its not because of lack of trying, his defense last night wasn't up to par for the NBL. He couldn't fight through the on-ball screens and was lost in terms of spacing in the 2-3 zones, standing practically next to Cadee in some plays.

Everyone of these mistakes can ultimately be traced back to the coach. Everyone knew Cadee's defensive deficiencies and the frontline mismatches with Vukona/Pledger, why did you insist with smallball lineup? Why did you manage to close the gap the moment you subbed in Humphries?

As for Thoseby, if he wasn't able to do what you wanted, why didn't you sub him out immediately? It took him a good 3-4 minutes until the Breakers' lead ballooned to 20+ before calling a second, angry timeout. To make matters worse, as the coach and leader, Drewey couldn't see that his charges were starting to panic when they see him and Newley started to lose it in the huddle.

Not Drewey's finest hour. Absolutely terrible.

Reply #651727 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cotton kicks his legs out, Adnam makes contact. Ref rewards Cotton.

Protected species?

Reply #651739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong thread?

Reply #651742 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well done Wesley. I honestly have no problem with that foul.

Where was the foul on Cooke first?

Refs trying to bring Adnam back to earth here?

Reply #651746 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cooke is manhandling Wesley here. Twice on the last play. No fouls though.

Refs are worth 10+ points a game to Perth in this arena

Reply #651747 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oops wrong thread

Reply #651748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad day that this topic even needs to be started. A true legend of aussie basketball and a GOD . However the OP is right.

If anyone ever thinks that Gaze swearing is not the norm it is. Publicly he never swears. Lindsay and Drewie were certainly always using every swear word you could think of in the locker room.
Now A Gaze is under the scroot all the time during game day, it's all out there. Likeable extremely funny but now exposed as an inept coach. Kings need to pull the pin NOW.

Reply #651768 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe, since when is a small guard that brings the ball up more than occasionally, initiates offense and guards opposition PGs not a PG?
Are you suggesting, then, that Rhys Martin and Mitch Norton are shooting guards?

Reply #651846 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Spot on, Duke Fan, leadership is just not coming from Gaze and it's having a very adverse effect throughout the team...

I commend your bravery in stalking a 6'11", 125kg balding behemoth that can headlock Wortho into submission Wookiee...

Out of interest, did he actually reply?

lol... He did... I think it might have helped that I opened up with "Sorry to bug you, I'm the Lego guy ..." (I create Lego NBL figures and he's been a fan). I was quoting him when I said that they didn't want him... Incredibly disappointing and if they haven't already gone back to him by now, they never will (at least while the same decision makers are in charge). I can't see what could be easier than cutting Singh (or even Tommy, if you just want to end it and keep the marketing tool) and bringing Maric back in...

Reply #651903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to your NBL lego?

Reply #651909 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I'm trying to think of successful teams recently that haven't had import point guards outside of Perth with Martin."

This century, Charles Thomas and Cedric Jackson are the only imports to win a title as a starting PG. Kevin Braswell won one coming off the bench.

The breakdown of starting PGs on GF teams this century is:

Aus/NZ: 21
Naturalised: 5
Imports: 10

In the past decade it is:

Aus/NZ: 13
Import: 7

Reply #651915 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Link to your NBL lego?

Search for NBL Lego on the facebook :)

Reply #651949 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If after tonight game, Gaze doesn't give it in within the fortnight, I will be very surprised...

Reply #652077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sad thing is he's probably on more money than any other coach.

Reply #652083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are now the worst team in the NBL if they weren't already. Gaze, JVG and the owners have now dragged a once mighty club into the gutter.
It will get worse and another season on incompetence to endure at all levels.
Love the commentators saying Adelaide have arrived. Utter bollocks. Kings are a basketcase.

Reply #652092 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I actually don't want Gaze to go. He has been very good for my Sportsbet balance.

Reply #652140 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

@Wookiee, I wonder if he would want to join a sinking team now. Wouldn't be a fun workplace you'd think.

After tonight, I'd cut Kendle and Thoseby. Tommy and Singh have to be moved up the rotation above Pineau. You may not like Singh but you have to admire his effort and fight, in fact he's been positive in almost all the time he's on the floor.

Reply #652198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze on his team.
"http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-are-the-worst-team-in-the-nbl-gaze-20171021-gz5o62.html
Scary indeed. He's just rolled over. Nothing there to indicate he's serious at all. "Management will.."

Reply #652251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It kind of sounded like the players are questioning his strategic acumen. After the NZ game, he said "we can't know if our scheme is sh1tty unless we actually give it a try". Was he inferring that the players gave him feedback they didn't like his defensive schemes?

He also kept saying "unless we bring in 3 or 4 new players" things won't change quickly. Is he butting heads with management over roster composition?

Reply #652372 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Time to put a phone call to Dimma.

Reply #652374 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I actually don't want Gaze to go. He has been very good for my Sportsbet balance.

Same for my William Hill one... It's an easy bet to bet on them losing, it's just a matter of what the line should be to maximise investment... I had -9.5 and -18.5 on 36ers which paid off nicely...

@Wookiee, I wonder if he would want to join a sinking team now. Wouldn't be a fun workplace you'd think.

I saw a FB post of his saying to fight for pride during the NZ game, I actually think that if they actually made the approach as in that they need him (which they REALLY do!) instead of throwing HIM a lifeline, and actually use him properly, he's got enough pride in his city and his teammates that he'd maybe want to do what he can...

After tonight, I'd cut Kendle and Thoseby. Tommy and Singh have to be moved up the rotation above Pineau. You may not like Singh but you have to admire his effort and fight, in fact he's been positive in almost all the time he's on the floor.

Both of those should never have been signed... Thoseby showed in the pre-season that he was all about shooting (not necessarily scoring) and I was disappointed that he got a full spot over someone like Daly, who actually had the potential to fill a need...

Agree on Singh and his effort... Like Leslie being the import cut if we need to go to an import big, it won't actually be his fault that he gets cut as it was just the wrong recruitment... He's a project that if he was younger, would have been a lock in for a DP spot and a chance to develop into a solid player with the extra training and if he could get up to speed... He does what is expected of him reasonably (gets a body to the boards [sometimes] and can maybe change some shots) but it's the fact that there is Isaac ahead of him and the fact that we're lacking a starting quality 5-man, so that would push Isaac to the bench (where he's starting from anyways) and really no spot for Singh...

So Gaze unleashes after NZ saying that the team didn't run what he said to run, so it COULD have been shit but we would't actually know, but when the players have such an incredibly shit game and he is all supportive and "I love this challenge!" in Adelaide, what are we supposed to gather from all that? Was he having subtle digs at management saying the makeup of the team isn't his fault and he's just doing what he can?

Reply #652554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie

The preseason games I watched they had this kid back from college I believe, Christian Jurlina, he had real good defence and played team, something clearly lacking at the Kings. I see him sitting on the bench so got a DP spot, though I haven't seen it anywhere. As been said already punt Thoseby and Kendall and give Daly and Jurlina a go, they got nothing to lose. Get Maric back and make humphries and Singh earn their time on the floor. Humphries can't keep missing open lay ups and still get minutes, and his D got to improve, got happen on the training floor.

Reply #652555 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Don't know anything about Jurlina, but the last thing we need is another fresh out of college kid... Daly would be a stop gap for two, maybe three games until we get someone proper in... There's still time to save the season, but they have to bring the bigger, more experienced players... and quickly...

Can't think of anyone better for Isaac to bang against in training than Truck...

Reply #652558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Gaze unleashes after NZ saying that the team didn't run what he said to run

Funny that, since the Breakers knew what the Kings were running but not his own players? Yeah right, Andrew.

Reply #652578 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

but it's the fact that there is Isaac ahead of him and the fact that we're lacking a starting quality 5-man, so that would push Isaac to the bench (where he's starting from anyways) and really no spot for Singh...

IMHO Singh is a good backup 3rd C. Its actually a fit with Humphries' game, since he is more of a 4/5 than true 5. It also happens that if Humphries want to crack the NBA, he has to develop into a 4/5.

With the current situation of him coming off the bench, I'd just play him no matter his foul count and tell him to go hard on D. If he fouls out every game, then so be it until he learns and adjusts during the season on what works and what doesn't. Singh is there as the safety net.

To date, I can't recall seeing Gaze put Humphries at 4 and Singh at 5 at the same time. I could be wrong, but if he hasn't done that even during garbage time, its a lineup experiment that should be carried out to see the impact of the hobbit as a weak side rim protector.

It will work even if they bring in an import big. Pineau is the one out of the equation, but you and me know that's not going to happen with Gaze at the helm.

Reply #652679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Write off another Kings season. Let's hope this team of misfits are tied down to long term contracts. JVG has singly brought this club t it's knees. Never in my many years of being a Kings fan has anyone labelled any Kings coach most inept coach in Aussie pro sport. That is such a sad but true statement unfortunately.

Reply #652700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Tomlinson was worse.

Reply #652706 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Anon - I think Cadee is on his last contract year and Newls, Lisch and Blanchfield have this and another one? Isaac was only signed for one season... Can anyone honestly say that any player looks like they want to be here, let alone stay here for another season if it's just going to be the same again?

What about Moose? That was a pretty dark era... But even with that giant losing streak, I can't recall them ever giving up like they did in the last two games... They still gave a toss...

You make a good point, Steve, and I think that there might have been a time or two where Singh and Isaac were on the court together and I think it could work... i'd rather IH at the 4 and have Singh as the backup even with an import 5, but who knows what sort of import big we're going to scrounge up now, especially if they're only just starting to look...

After reading that article tonight, it has made me wonder how much input Gaze actually has, and whether he's drinking the kool-aide or just having to put up with a boss that thinks he knows everything but doesn't... He's surely got to be drinking the same wacky juice as JvG doesn't he? I mean, if not, he can just pull out the "I'm the G.O.A.T" card to throw some weight around? Either way, it's his reputation on the line, so if he's just being a pussy and taking it, he deserves what he gets...

Reply #652710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze couldn't resist the pay. What a poor hiring by JvG. Think about it JvG wants all the power without actually being the head coach so gets a puppet in who is sold to the public as being hired due to being 'marketable'.

JvG from those quotes in the latest news article sounds even more delusional. His answers to the issues are basically along the lines of "Lisch can be a PG and that's that, I'm right wah wah wah."

I love that JvG returned to the NBL though as finally he's been exposed. Should have left your NBL career on a high note with the Bullets (ignoring how you tried to con your own players at the end) at least there the Groves money and Joey covered up your failings. Many argued you were the man, now they've been educated. LOL, how sweet it is.

Reply #652718 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I remember an episode of Overtime in 2011 where JVG spent quite a bit of time talking about how in the NBA, the front office picks the team and the coach coaches, and that's a much better system than having the coach involved in recruitment.

Reply #652727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good insight kr.

Going back even further, during the pre-season of 2005-06 there was a feature piece on Fox about JvG and how he had signed both Bradtke & Copeland from the Tigers to his Bullets. The guy was absolutely grinning from ear to ear like a Cheshire Cat explaining how smart he was to acquire the two to an already solid roster.

Only problem is any fan who was paying attention knew that the NBL had put in place a points cap which had major flaws in it, whereby players with loyalty to one club got a discount of points (by being disloyal LOL), so he wasn't doing anything that revolutionary. Yet from the way he was carrying on in front of the camera he thought he was the second coming of Einstien. Hilarious stuff which was mocked and ripped into by everyone on Ozhoops back in the day.

I don't have the footage - wish someone did so we can all re-enjoy it.

Reply #652824 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754