Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Crowds for round 3?

NZ vs Sydney anyone know? It was at Spark Arena so should be a decent number?

Put other attendances in here.

Topic #41983 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

3679 at Spark.

Reply #651546 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Is that a bit low even for early in the season? Didn't the Breakers run a student night promo as well?

Reply #651548 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is low, even by early-season standards. They had 4700 last week, so possibly the same opponent two weeks in a row didn't help, especially with it being a Thursday game this week.

Reply #651551 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Cats expecting 12,000+ tonight. They've opened the top section. Expecting the Boos to come out for Prather. NBL need to sort out the schedule, same team twice in 3 game.

Reply #651554 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Playing the same opponents consecutively is a terrible idea and looks sloppy from a scheduling point of view. Something to improve on next season I hope.

Reply #651563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first round game at Spark the attendance was never published, which is strange as I would think the opener had the highest crowd of the three games so far.

Reply #651586 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Yeah the schedule is ridiculous. It cant be that hard to ensure that no team plays the same team twice in a row at the same venue.

Reply #651587 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, I don't like watching basically the same game played within a week of eachother. This is the problem with having only 8 teams.

Reply #651590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks paul for the NZ crowd? Source?

Reply #651615 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It is low, even by early-season standards. They had 4700 last week, so possibly the same opponent two weeks in a row didn't help, especially with it being a Thursday game this week.
Thursday is New Zealand's traditional night of the week, so I'm not sure how much that could factor into it being a low number.

Reply #651635 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's their traditional night on the North Shore, not in Auckland city centre.

Reply #651637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat me to it paul!

Reply #651638 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Is there a difference in where the game is played that would affect the number? 3700 at Spark Arena vs the usual 3700 at North Shore. Why is Thursday considered traditional, as in their preferred night, when they get better crowds on Friday and Saturday?

I dont think a crowd of 3700 is anything special no matter where its played at.

Reply #651642 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I like back to back double headers vs the same side, it creates a series type situation. You play that team at home then if you lose try and get revenge away in there backyard..

Reply #651648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't baseball.

Reply #651650 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I like back to back double headers vs the same side, it creates a series type situation. You play that team at home then if you lose try and get revenge away in there backyard..
That's not what people are talking about.

Adelaide hosted Melbourne twice. New Zealand hosted Sydney twice. Perth hosted Illawarra last week and will again next week. Cairns will have both home games against Adelaide out of the way by the end of the month.

I think there are a few others over the course of the season, and it's ridiculous.

Reply #651665 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Get over it Annoymous, many NBL fans like me like the Double-header series format it's exciting and keeps things fresh e.g. 1 game home then away..

Reply #651678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly not going by the comments above.

Basketball isn't a series sport like baseball until the playoffs.

Reply #651680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13,037 in Perth.

Reply #651741 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Get over it Annoymous, many NBL fans like me like the Double-header series format[citation needed] it's exciting and keeps things fresh e.g. 1 game home then away..
Did you read my post?

It's their traditional night on the North Shore, not in Auckland city centre.
Have their Vector games been played on weekends more often? I can't say I've noticed a difference.

Not sure how it would affect crowd numbers either way, if anything a CBD venue would be easier on a weeknight (although I say that with zero knowledge of the specifics, but what else is the internet for?).

Reply #651845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently 5430 in Brisbane but place looked empty. I guess that's what happens when you don't communicate with your fans and treat members like shit.

Bullets management is either entirely incompetent of severely understaffed.

Reply #651847 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd have no issue if we did a series type thing in the NBL but we are talking about same opposition playing in close proximity without returning to the other clubs venue to play them... that is highly annoying, happened I think last season or the season before when Perth didn't play Sydney until last month of the season, the games should be more dispersed.

Brisbane looked sadly empty but Boondal is pretty big, why not get people closer to the action so it looks more full?

Reply #651848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an interesting time this season. With expansion looming the crowds will need to be on the same lever as last season or continuing to expand. Going backwards crowd wise will be a challenge. The on court performance of the Bullets and their fans will be an interesting one to watch as well.

Reply #651873 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Apparently 5430 in Brisbane but place looked empty."

It was empty at the start, that's what happens when you have a Friday 6.30pm game in the outer suburbs, but if you have a look around the crowd later in the telecast it had filled in substantially.

Reply #651880 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Have their Vector games been played on weekends more often?"

Yes. Playing 7.30pm in the city centre on a weeknight isn't a great way to draw a crowd. The North Shore is different because it is close to home for one of the strongest basketball communities in Auckland and only needs 3500 to be a good crowd there.

Reply #651881 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

All games at Boondall are on weekdays at 6;30pm which is a nightmare. I went to a game there last season and it took me and hour and a half to get there from the CBD with the traffic.

Reply #651921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5,970 in Adelaide.

Reply #652054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #652351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4062 in Cairns.

Illawarra only one missing for Round 3.

Reply #652518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754