Anonymous
Years ago

Kings passed on D. Draper for Kendle: Uluc

Interesting that Kings fan favourite Dontaye Draper was not considered by the Kings despite being "offered to them", according to Fox Sports' Olgun Uluc.

The theory behind it being that they didn't really need a point guard (Kendle is more of a combo guard). I understand Draper has been playing high level ball in Europe for a while now, so even if the Kings didn't really think they needed an out and out point guard, he should've still been considered you would've thought. From memory he is more of a scoring point guard in any case.

Topic #42018 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

A POINT GUARD IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY NEED.

It's such a shame when people in high positions can't do their jobs properly

Reply #652708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex Real Madrid he would do well in his second stint here with more pro experience and maturity. JvG exposed.

Reply #652712 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Needs a serious kick up the arse to again piss all over Kings history and discount the draw that having Dontaye back with that much more experience would be... So angry reading that article...

Reply #652717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings led by Draper owned the JvG-assembled Bullets team in his one season here. JvG ego.

Reply #652719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez, Dontaye was awesome in his first stint here and that was his first pro gig out of college. He's been playing high level in Europe since and what you actually remember the most about him from his first year at the Kings was heart and maturity. He doesn't have a club right now but for those that also follow such things, he was there in all of those famous ''Hoodie Melo' scrimmages (his BFF) over the summer so only training with and against scrub guards like Chris Paul, James Harden and Russell Westbrook. Obviously Kendle a far better option.

Reply #652730 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Get the best possible players regardless of position they say...

I'm calling bullshit on that claim

Reply #652740 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The calling bullshit on list is getting pretty long...

You'd think that Draper would be the ideal recruit for the Kings based on high profile Euro teams, past Kings experience AND a connection to a current NBA player that they could make the most out of as well...

But no... Persisting with this "Lisch won league MVP twice, so he can do it, I don't care that everyone else is saying that he wasn't the actual PG on those team when he won" crap is going to be the death of the team and will lock in another wooden spoon...

Reply #652743 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Draper was far to expensive!!!

Kings would have preferred Draper but the difference is pay between the two is signifcant

Reply #652744 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

So is the difference between winning & losing and being competitive or not

Reply #652748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seems like they spent up in the pre-season and left no contingency fund, which is strange for a team working with two imports. As soon as the opportunities are presented, it's Kendle and a brief Bradtke rebounding coach stint. It's not like there are 10 games left in the season and all hope is lost.

Reply #652753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There must be some players at the Kings getting overpaid by heaps, I keep hearing that both Cadee, Humphries are on 200g, Blanchfield 300g, if correct you got to be kidding. Lol!!!! Haha.

Reply #652762 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So it all comes down to mismanagement of funds and recruiting then? Other than Lisch and Newls, who else would be the higher salaries? Unless they overpaid Isaac (who apparently had Euro interest?) and Blanchfield to get them here?

Also, unsupported rumour on a Kings FB fan page that Lisch is actually on at least $1.2 for three seasons instead of the much talked about $300K/season, with the addition that he's still not the highest paid... If these numbers are true, that is the majority of the cap on just two players and it's completely reasonable that they would shoot their wad of cash at Vinnie and Isaac as well...

Everything is in such a mess, it's difficult to discount anything, even if sounding so far fetched...

Reply #652766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings passed up Kyrie Irving for Kendle. Wow so dumb Sydney. Kyrie is much better. That choice is obvious to everyone!!

Reply #652767 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Because he was coming in as an injury replacement wouldn't Lisch's salary be taken care of by insurance? so signing Kendle instead of Draper makes even less sense?

Reply #652768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, unsupported rumour on a Kings FB fan page that Lisch is actually on at least $1.2 for three seasons instead of the much talked about $300K/season, with the addition that he's still not the highest paid...
You'd think the highest is Newley. And I'd guess they spent well for Blanchfield and Humphries too. Doubt Cadee is getting insane amounts.

Reply #652772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bench players now get insane amounts Isaac. Since the NBL introduced the stupid rule that (it was the bottom 4 players) had to bet something like $400K amongst them.
Cadee would on far more than he is worth and shitloads more then an overpaid benchie.

Reply #652774 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bench players now get insane amounts Isaac. Since the NBL introduced the stupid rule that (it was the bottom 4 players) had to bet something like $400K amongst them.
It's a maximum, not a minimum, so it drives bench salaries down.

Reply #652775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$450 this season, for bottom four, probably three on $45 plus tommy on about $120. Not certain is bottom 4 or 5??
At a guess
Singh $45/55
Pineau $45/55
Thoseby $45/55
Tommy $120
Cadee $200
Newley $450
Lisch $450
Leslie ???
Ellis ???
Humphries $200
Blanchfield $320

Reply #652777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee $200 no way
Blanchfield $320 not even close
Newley in the $300 mark
Lisch in the $300 mark
Tommy $90

Reply #652791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like they overpaid everyone and that's why they have no extra money now left despite going with two imports. Oh me oh my JvG.

Reply #652799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those figures above are very close to everything I've heard, you can say no way but it's on the money.

Reply #652849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG obviously is out of touch with how much NBL players are on. Shockingly bad management. Worst of all time in NBL history perhaps?

Reply #652852 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I still have my Dontaye Draper Jersey from 10 years ago would have been awesome to rock it at the game. Kendle sucks as an import. Reminds me of Dave Gruber or that guy Adelaide signed out of the SEABL a few years ago. Just an easy option. What Gaze and Copeland were doing at Summer League this year is beyond me.

Reply #653114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754