Anonymous
Years ago

Aaron Fearne Angry at United Announcer

So Careera missed 2 FTs and everyone got free burgers.... United courtside announcer calls him Mr Cheeseburger = Mr Fearne very angry

Topic #42094 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Yep. Saw him approach the ref to tell announcer to stop saying it!

Reply #654727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many warnings has the Melbourne announcer been given over the years?

Reply #654731 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I think every team has complained a million times about that bloke over the years...

Reply #654737 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The guy with the birthmark? I remember that guy always carrying on like a dickhead when the Tigers played at The Cage.

Reply #654740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the one.
A-grade tosser that bloke. Shocked that more coaches haven't spoken up to be honest.

Reply #654741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that announcer is a twat. Fearne as odd as he is, has a good case here.

Reply #654743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singling out ONE guy personally equates to Bullying! That shit would never happen in the NBA! If the NBL wants to continue to be a high level pro league, they should set some standards for behaviour like that from the CA's.
not a huge deal, and I’m sure the "Aussie" sentiment of “just get over it mate” will be said, but the truth remains, it’s not professional

Reply #654744 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Shouldn't Fearne be foremost angry at, you know.... his team's performance?

Reply #654745 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Quick search:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/tigers-fined-for-abusing-nbl-officials-ng-ya-229379

https://m.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/tigers-seth-scott-play-despite-fine-court-scuffle/1633635/

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/kings-hope-injured-bose-can-turn-up-the-volume-20111029-1mpfe.html

Reply #654747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baffles me why this ordinary court announcer continues to be a protected species.

Reply #654748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh Wayne you've done it again.

How about the NBL ensure the court announcer does what they are supposed to do. That is they are not to get involved in anything to do with chants etc. Or getting the crowd involved at all.
He's one of the chief offenders and has been for years. Close with the Tigers and obviously that has carried across to the United.

Reply #654760 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Didn't he take offence when Gary Wilkinson called him me birthmark or something? If you can dish it out you should be able to take it.

Reply #654761 | Report this post

KAS  
Years ago

He called him "Mr Cheeseburger"???

Im going to be one of those whose says - get over it

I love Wayne's passion for the game - much better than listening to some monotone low energy announcer

Reply #654764 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Should be fined again and suspended , again. Act professional

Reply #654768 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

If he is happy to take it too it's fine.....but the guy cried when a player gave crap back to him. Hypocrite

Reply #654771 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So, the court announcer is meant to be a boring stiff who does nothing for the game night experience except drearily announce who got subbed off?

News to me, Fearne.

Reply #654772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chrome-dome needs to get over it, same with the Cheezl sitting next to him.

Reply #654774 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its a bit of banter can;t see why teams are so worried about it.

Just get the W or hit your free throws and it won't matter.

these sorts of give aways etc happen all around the world so just play well and it won't matter as whinging about it is another way to look for an excuse for poor performance!

Reply #654775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, this is what he is upset over. He should have a look at how crap his team played

Reply #654779 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Should be sacked. No need for that from the court announcer. He is there is call stats, fould, subs etc and rev up the crowd, but name calling, bullying is not on. Should be sacked.

Reply #654780 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I haven't heard the full story, so there could be more to it, but if it is just a case of "Mr Cheeseburger" in line with a league promotion I have no problem.

Most of the more serious complaints I've heard about Wayne have come from things he's said/done off mic when he's got too into the game.

I have more issue with that than a few smart arse comments that stir the opposition team, they need to be able to play through that.

Reply #654783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United can't go a game without there being some related controversy thread.

I was there last night and I reckon I heard the call maybe twice? The crowd was giving it to him more without encouragement every time he touched the ball.

Every clown excited for their free cheeseburger looked every part the obese pre-diabetic redneck anyway. Jokes on them.

Reply #654784 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Court announcers need to tone it down generally. They can be entertaining and help to get the crowd into it, but need to keep it at a professional level. Seems a lot of people dont like court announcers and it could be a put off for casual fans returning to games.

Its a fine line. Dont be boring, but dont carry on like an idiot either.

Reply #654789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carerra needs to cop it. He seems absolutely mental though in the few games he's been in the league.

Reply #654790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO current 2017 NBL rules published it seems.
2011 rules say and there is no reason it should have changed.

"95. Objectives of the court announcer
95.1. Provide information concerning the state of the game that may not be readily available or obvious to the general public and to provide some limited game commentary.
95.2. Introduce teams/players to the floor.
95.3. Liaise with the game referees and/or score bench chairman in order to clarify technical decisions to the public.
95.4. Assist Game Night Entertainers in engaging the audience
95.5. Pass on sponsorship information at appropriate times.
96. Guidelines for Court Announcer:
96.1. Provision of Information:
96.1.1. The Court Announcer's game commentary should be limited to supplying the following information at the appropriate times:
96.1.1.1. Scoring: Who scored? Number of points. Cumulative individual total. Occasionally, an assist might be appropriately mentioned.
96.1.1.2. Foul: Who fouled. Number of personal fouls. Number of team fouls. Who is shooting foul shots (if appropriate) and number of foul shots to come"

Have someone else on the mic seperatly or mic up the mascot even. The CA is there simply to commentate on the game nothing more. Always been a fine line and Wayne has always pushed the envelope.

Reply #654791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court announcers should not be permitted to make derogatory remarks about any player coach or official , in fact derogatory comments should not be part of any announcers repertoire
They should encourage the crowd to get behind the game sure, but their main focus is to introduce the teams and keep the crowd engaged not run their mouth off

Reply #654796 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The NBL Social media is pumping out the footage of the missed free throws so I hope that doesnt hurt his feelings also.

I am pretty sure the Wildcats got around the court announcer rules by having a court announcer that does the announcements and then an MC aswell.

Reply #654797 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree. I remember back when Lachy started to get a little carried away and was told to pull his head in, and rightly so.
Getting the crowd going is all good, but you can do it without aiming remarks at individuals.

Reply #654799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to fit with rule 95.5 he was making sure the sponsors message was clearly received by the supporters

/sarcasm

Reply #654801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Snowflake Fearne finds his safe space.

Reply #654802 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Wayne's passion for the game is a good thing, but it does often cloud his judgement and cause him to do/say some silly things.

There is nothing wrong with the announcer encouraging the home team's fans to get behind their side, but the line should be drawn at trash talking the opposition.

A warning or small fine should be enough. Calling for him to be suspended or sacked is crazy

Reply #654807 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Calling stuff like this "bullying" makes me want to hurl

Reply #654811 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Calling stuff like this "bullying" makes me want to hurl

Reply #654812 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Twice

Reply #654813 | Report this post

I agree with Ferne, that kind of carry-on is bullshit. But I'm not saying it's bullying or offensive. It's just unnecessary, embarrassing and unprofessional. Mr Cheeseburger. That is the lamest shit i've ever heard. If I was a Melbourne fan I'd be embarrassed that our court announcer drivels such rubbish. I'm actually cringing just thinking about it. There's just no reason for it. It's not Primary School.

Reply #654853 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Let's just be thankful Grill'd aren't sponsoring the NBL and Carrera got called "Mr Summer Sunset"...

Reply #654857 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Ah the good ole Rattler, sounds tame compared to years past but still annoying someone somewhere.

Reply #654860 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The Venezuelan Volcano eh.

What other nicknames we got for him?

Mr Cheeseburger
The Porsche
Captain Insano
Carrerazy
Mr Crazy
Insano Volcano

Reply #654865 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

best promotion the cheeseburger company has ever had.

Reply #654881 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Carrerazy - I believe you just wrote a future Cairns Post back page headline, Manu.

Reply #654886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave Rattler alone

Reply #654900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps nicknames for Wayne I wonder how he would feel ;)

Reply #654921 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Cairns Post back page headlines are easy:

PORCHE ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE: CARRERA IGNITES TAIPANS COMEBACK WIN

DAVID AND GOLIATH: CARRERA WELCOMES JAWAI'S RETURN

PORCHE SPICE: CARRERA LOOKING FORWARD TO NYE PERTH REMATCH

VOLCANIC ERUPTION: CARRERA FACES 2 GAME SUSPENSION FOR INSTIGATING ON-COURT NYE BRAWL

etc. etc.

Reply #655006 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Sorry I was too tired to remember how to spell Porsche when I wrote that. I have the shame now.

Reply #655024 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

We didn't win WW2 so we could spell things the way the Germans want us to!

Reply #655053 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754