D2
Years ago

Wildcats Replacement?

What type of player do they need the most?
Or do they just take "best local available"?
Who is or might be available?
Do they adjust their imports (ie Cooke) to compensate?

Clearly they need somebody to backup the 5 spot, but if Cooke is good enough for that, does that give them other options?

Topic #42123 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

Stiendl?

Reply #655759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

steindl

Reply #655763 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

sorry :(

Reply #655766 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cooke has played very limited minutes, so I'd be surprised if they don't look to upgrade that spot.

Reply #655767 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Steindl would be good but do we really need a SF? He would surely be fighting for minutes with Tokoto, DKD and Hire.

Reply #655768 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Steindl was replaced my Clint McNealy on Sunday.....so out of contract.

Another shooter off the bench would certainly not hurt us. His girlfriend plays for the Lynx and he is already familiar with the team......seems to make sense that Perth go after him.

Reply #655772 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Rhys Vague come on down, this is really his chance to keep a roster spot and if it doesn't work then no harm done but he seems a good kid and can stretch the floor and gives an experienced side some extra youth and enthusiasm if that's missing.

Could always try and get in a stud like Motum if that's the road they choose to take or maybe even buy Cody Ellis out of his contract if they can work something out.

Wildcats have lots of options and with wins on the board should be in no great rush to make a decision but a months time or so all that may have changed

Reply #655776 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'd be taking a wait & see approach, personally.
With Walker playing better than expected we've had a glut in the front court anyway, so Knight's loss doesn't sting as much as it might have. (Plus as Trevor said, we recruited this season on the assumption that Matty wouldn't be playing all the games, which is just common sense)

With a heap of home games to start the season, we haven't really been tested properly anyway. Once we get into all the road trips and have some struggles, that will better identify our weaknesses. Plus you never know when another player could go down. So leave the spot open IMO. And yeah, in the mean time give Vague more of a taste as proud said.

Reply #655798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train I think you answer your own question saying he would be fighting for minutes with DKD and Hire. Resounding yes

Reply #655807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the first time in a while I'd say the Cats are well covered in every position and don't really need to rush a replacement.

One option would be to elevate one of the development players, thinking Bragg. The post Martin Era is scary, now would be a good time to start exposing some of these young guys to longer minutes, similar to what Melb have been able to do with Adnam.

Reply #655808 | Report this post

Ricky D  
Years ago

Andrew Vlahov still available?

Once its a blowout at home, should just play Vague, Bragg a lot more than the 2 mins Bragg gets.

I'm happy for Cooke to get Knights minutes for now.

Reply #655856 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Lol. Steindl would be a massive improvement on DKD/Hire.

Reply #655933 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Cats were caned by Cairns, so as per usual we have to expect that they will be vulnerable on the road, so I don't thinks its all plain sailing.

11 man squad does give teams a bit more flexibility, but that doesn't mean they can afford to let a spot go begging. Injuries will happen, and as we have seen it only takes a couple, and suddenly Trev is on the horn to Jarron Johnson.

I have always thought that Hire is more a stretch 4, and maybe an old-style 3. If Cooke gets his game on, or gets upgraded, then I would see them well-covered in the front court. I could see how a Steindl or Webster type might fit in.

Watch this space I guess, but if he hasn't got another European gig lined up, it would make a lot of sense for Clint to return to the Cats.

Reply #655950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg a stretch 4 who can't shoot and turns the wildcats into 4 on 5 on offence.

Rumour has it Steindl trained with the cats today

Reply #655957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Among the names mentioned in an NBL.com.au article are
Matt Burston
Luke Nevill
Julian Khazzouh
BJ Anthony
Jeremiah Trueman
Aleks Maric
Jordan Vandenberg

Some of these guys are past it, don't even think Trueman plays anymore.

Steindl makes more sense IMO
Martin/Kenny
Cotton/Steindl/DKD
Tokoto/Hire
Walker/Wagstaff
Brandt/ Cooke

Steindl gives instant offence from the bench and most players can play multi positions.
Walker or Wagstaff can even play pinch minutes at 5 spot in small ball line ups.

Reply #656105 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

As the article says, Steindl is the obvious choice, and would actually add to the squad.
If you want a Burston or Trueman as injury insurance, then bring them on as a TP.

It's not like when we had Jawai, Knight, and Jervis. Brandt is in his prime and playing every well, and Cooke (or his replacement) is also young and healthy.

Cooke will keep getting more minutes now, so the pressure will be on him to perform.

I'd be more worried about the W's, as they are no spring chickens, but Hire and Vague can back them up.

Reply #656126 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So it looks like Steindl??

Just waiting for the "Members First" emails which invariably arrives 24 hours after it is public knowledge :-)

Reply #656720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 10 news confirmed it was Steindl last night

Reply #656723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Josh Smith a recent cut by the Pelicans be an upgrade over Cooke?
31, 6'9" could play power forward and centre.

Just name dropping there is always Dunigan

Reply #656729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754