hoops04
Years ago

Should the NBL schedule Games 6-7 nights per week

Similar to the NBA where there are games played on most nights, would it be a good idea to spread games across more nights.

This might solve some of the fixture issues with venue availability and also increase engagement as there aren't many other domestic sporting games on during the week, would help keep the talk going throughout the week.

Thoughts?

Topic #42128 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #655868 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Key demographic of NBL fans - families.

What do families do on week nights? Sports/activities for their kids.

Not enough teams to warrant games every night.

I'm a fan of Monday night games, but soley weeknight games would be a tough ask.

Reply #655869 | Report this post

hoops04  
Years ago

tokoto, get your point with key demographic being families, but can't help but think by having games on a mon- wed, can expand the demographic to those casual sports fan that are potentially looking for something to follow during the week.

Reply #655870 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They did that last year, and I imagine there's a reason they stopped.

Reply #655871 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A better idea once the league has expanded.

Reply #655872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need more teams.

Reply #655881 | Report this post

Abitmore  
Years ago

More spread out games would be better, playing too many too close means fans don't go

Reply #655919 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Nbl teams make money from feet through the door, not tv. Ain't nobody travelling out to Olympic park on a Tuesday night to watch the Kings get spanked. Even Thursday is a tough ask in most markets.

Reply #655949 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

The money in NBL is getting bums on seats, not TV, so no.

Reply #655955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, pretty sure Monday- Wednesday are by far the most popular local league nights, atleast where I am.

Reply #655968 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Weekends should be where games are played.

1 Game Friday Night 6:30pm AEDT (Unless in Perth then 9:30pm)
3 Games Saturday 4:30pm AEDT, 6:30pm, 8:30pm.
5 Games Sunday 10:30am AEDT, 12:30pm, 2:30pm, 4:30pm, 6:30pm.

Saturday is when children play sport/music other activities. Friday night is a working day, so a number find it a struggle to get home, changed, then head to the game.

Sunday should be exploited to the max. Nothing happens on Sunday in Australia.

Reply #655980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"can expand the demographic to those casual sports fan that are potentially looking for something to follow during the week."

Casual fans dont support or grow the league. Regular fans do.

Reply #655981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No team will want to play at 10.30 am Sundays. Not to mention logistic problems. Plus, how do you have 5 games on a Sunday with 8 teams?

Reply #655982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sunday 10:30am"

Yes... because no one likes a sleep-in on Sundays. *facepalm*

Reply #656001 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I was thinking about this recently. I loved the Monday and Tuesday night games on NBL TV last season and am missing them this year. Tbe crowds were much better than I expected and it was a little like big bash where you were in the habit of expecting to sit down each night to see a game.
It can work!

Reply #656124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not enough teams.

Reply #656125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What games were on Mon and Tues last season? WTF?

Reply #656137 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

We have public holidays coming up later in the season so we may be getting this early week games but outside of having a day off the next day or day off that day, it sounds particularly risky... it's already hard enough watching a Brisbane game as it feels like it's played in front of less people than went to a Townsville game before their demise.

We need bums on seats to create the atmosphere to make it more enjoyable for those that can't be at the game

Reply #656500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754