Years ago

Are the NBL on drugs? or trying to rewrite history

Now on NBL YouTube a new video was uploaded:

"NBL's Greatest Rivalry - Melbourne Vs Sydney"

WTF!

Topic #42134 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

I know, WTF, right? Cairns vs. Townsville, obviously.

Reply #656021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fans vs logic, I thought.

Reply #656023 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they're just promos for upcoming games rather than the league proclaiming any single battle as the greatest rivalry.

Reply #656027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would hope so.

Reply #656029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't they dubbing Syd vs. Mel as "Capital City Clash" or something lame along those lines a few seasons ago? Trying to be another Doomsday Double or Sunshine Swing... fail.

Reply #656030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or Reptile Rumble. R.I.P. :(

Reply #656031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually RIP to all three of the above :(

Reply #656032 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Slingers v blaze battles were epic.

Reply #656035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two Timezone Tussles this weekend - PER@NZ & NZ@PER

hahaha see what I did there?

Reply #656037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least in the A League it's the big blue.

Reply #656046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth staying on Perth time. so no timezone difference.

Reply #656047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a tussle of teams from two distant timezones. Der!

Reply #656063 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Above

Alliteration, setting a contrast between the teams, all good.

Maybe:
titanic
tussle
teams
two different timezones
tense

You could write a script for a ringside (or court side) announcer with this stuff

Reply #656103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least in the A League it's the big blue.

That's lame.

Reply #656104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is history:

Doomsday Double

The Doomsday Double, involving a road trip to play the Adelaide 36ers and Perth Wildcats during the same round, has occurred 141 times as at the end of the 2010-11 season. Only four teams have won both legs of the trip, played either on consecutive nights or on a Friday night and Sunday afternoon. Due to the long time success rate of both the 36ers and Wildcats, the Double has long been considered the toughest two games in one weekend road trip in the NBL. The Doomsday Double was given its name by Hall of Famer Cal Bruton during its early days when the trip was a game in Perth on the Friday night followed by Adelaide the following night or vice versa.

Sunshine Swing

Similar to the Doomsday Double, the Sunshine Swing pits teams against an away double or even triple game schedule against opponents from the state of Queensland, in the same round. The most frequent combinations have featured the Brisbane Bullets/Gold Coast Rollers or Cairns Taipans/Townsville Crocodiles double. Other variants include Brisbane Bullets/Cairns Taipans (current version), Brisbane Bullets/Townsville Crocodiles and the gruelling Brisbane Bullets/Cairns Taipans/Townsville Crocodiles triple.

The league should schedule at least one of these road trips for team per season to maintain the history of the league.

Reply #656107 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Forgot Cal Bruton naming the DD.

Shout out to the NBL historian above.

I always thought it had a bit to do with the hostile reception provided by the Adelaide and Perth fans. The 2 teams are still in the league. NBL should respect the heritage, especially as both teams are still successful and draw crowds.

Reply #656108 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I would be interested to know which four teams were able to win both legs of the doomsday double?

Reply #656138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me too. I can't find it.

Reply #656139 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They're really swinging for the fences with the 'was this the most controversial finish in NBL history?' story...

Reply #656140 | Report this post

I applaud the enthusiasm of those running the NBL social media, but there are plenty of cringe-worthy moments...almost daily.

Who reckons Casper Ware isn't sick of the ghost puns?

Reply #656173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drugs are bad, mmmkay.

Reply #656231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754