Aussie
Years ago

Ben Simmons: "I wouldn't play for the US anyway"

Ben Simmons: "I wouldn't play for the US anyway, I'm Australian"

Simmons commits to Australian Boomers

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/11/10/08/37/nba-australian-76ers-star-ben-simmons-commits-to-boomers

Topic #42160 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

You forgot to include "...because I can't"

Reply #656704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, you missed the point of that sentence considering in the article it preceded by "the bottom line is, he can't [play for the USA]. Having already represented Australia"

Reply #656707 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not now, no. If he was American though it would be a safe bet at this stage to have him on the US national team at some point in the future.

Reply #656709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of what he or anyone says, he has already lined up for the Boomers and therefore cannot swap teams. The only way FIBA lets players change countries is that they move to a country worse than their own that they had previously represented. As laughable as this sounds now Roy Hibbert tried to swap from Jamaica to the US and was stone walled as a result.

http://www.espn.com.au/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/63111/roy-hibberts-team-usa-chances-bleak

Reply #656715 | Report this post

Dione 74  
Years ago

Can't he sit out of National representation for 3 years then go USA if he's been living there for 3 years?
I don't think he will but isn't that how it can be done?

Reply #656819 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't even see why anyone is questioning it. He played junior FIBA tournaments for Australia, he played an Oceania qualifiers for Australia, and he is Australian - who the F*** else was he going to play for?

Reply #656853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754