Isaac
Years ago

Liz Cambage suspended for one game

WNBL announcement:

GAME REVIEW PANEL OUTCOME

The WNBL acknowledges the decision made by the game review panel regarding the incident involving Elizabeth Cambage during the round seven game between the Deakin Melbourne Boomers and the University of Canberra Capitals player Mistie Bass.

The league was notified of the intentions of the Deakin Melbourne Boomers this morning.

The matter has been resolved by the game review panel, Elizabeth Cambage accepting the one game suspension on early plea, down from the two games offered by the game review panel.

As a result, Cambage will miss this Thursday night's away game vs. JCU Townsville Fire.
Maybe I'm not familiar with typical WNBL processes, but the wording of that strikes me as quite strange.

Topic #42240 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "acknowledges the decision" wording is baffling indeed.

Reply #658898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It reads as if the WNBL are stressing to Liz "It wasn't us who suspended you, it was _them_!"

Reply #658899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk about kid glove treatment , she needs more than a one game ban , she should be made to attend anger management sessions for the rest of the season at her own expense before every game
I hope when she read offended they don't pay the back of her hand and say "there there"

Reply #658901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson spoke for the Boomers and basically said all of the opponent had it coming because the other teams always play dirty basketball against Liz. Reckon with this type of treatment she won't change a thing. Has me wondering if Brondello with straighten her out for international comp but I will not be holding my breath.

Reply #658903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No other player plays dirty on her , she's just got a super bad attitude and if LJ can't see that then the Boomers are fools

Reply #658906 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Any time I'm coaching against Melbourne I'm starting my 12th on the bench scrub with the instruction to do exactly the same and take the bitch out of the game in the 1st rebounding contest. Worth it for a week

Reply #658911 | Report this post

If the punishment was to sit in a room with Andrew Bogut for a couple of hours she'd probably be more remorseful.

Reply #658913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One game ban is one thing, people overall opinion of her will last alot longer. I couldnt believe what a dog act this was. To instinctively think to do such a thing really reveals another layer of her character.

Reply #658916 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's playing dirty where you're pushing the rules a bit (holding jerseys, etc) and then there's playing dirty where it looks like you're trying to physically hurt someone. The video made it look like the latter. I think if others were doing the same on court, we'd see videos of it, surely?

Reply #658918 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Is there a link to Lauren Jackson's comments?

Reply #658919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ played dirty too. She's admitted to purposely taking people down on drives in the lane.

Reply #658920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So?

Reply #658922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? So it's not just Liz playing this way, which a lot of people here seem to think.

Reply #658924 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Regardless of what is happening to Liz, 2 wrongs don't make a right. If teams are stretching the rules to frustrate her (and that's nothing new when it comes to dominant bigs in basketball) then that needs to be addressed by the club and the WNBL, not via on court brain explosion. E.g. Childress's flying elbow on Wagstaff a couple of years ago.

Outside of Ukranian Parliament, the application of physical violence in non-violent settings doesn't solve problems. There are also less dangerous methods of niggle to get back at opponents.........

And... if you want to take the moral high ground on this kind of behaviour Duke, which we all should, advocating taking 'the bitch out' is a strange tactic......

Reply #658925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So? So it's not just Liz playing this way, which a lot of people here seem to think."

Show us where other players have done something this season worse than what Cambage did with the knee to the back. Thought so.

Reply #658936 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I really question the claim by LJ, notwithstanding that I presume it was effectively a 'legal' argument designed to get Liz 'off', that opponents play 'illegal' against Liz.

Perhaps a wider perspective - like watching other action in which she is involved - might be informative.

If Liz [almost] always played within the rules she might have at least a moral right to demand a little more understanding and compassion, but whoever said it, suggesting she is being victimised by opponents using 'underhanded, dirty' tactics is really rich.

If it is happening, which I question, can I suggest that it might be in an effort to counter Liz's illegal tactics, which strangely seldom seem to ever get called.

As evidence I cite the picture of the blatant offensive 'hook' published in SA's 'The Advertiser' a few days ago, from a game in which she was called for just two fouls.

All that said, there is no place in the game for blatantly illegal actions by Liz or anyone else, and in this specific instance there is simply no excuse for Liz's action, which based on the video was clearly an intentional, since it required her to break stride and raise her knee unnaturally to make impact.

To rub salt in the wound she then proceeded to charge to the basket and wipe out another player with a blatant body push that, like the knee, went un-called.

I'd suggest she is a protected species, not a subject of victimisation.

Reply #658940 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I never take the moral high ground Podge. I prefer to drop to their level and "retaliate first" is my mantra

Reply #658941 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

hahaha Duke, I respect your honesty! ;)

Reply #658945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers press release didn't offer any apology or show any remorse? How does Cambage improve her behaviour if Boomers don't lead by example!

Reply #658947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, I was at the match, my view, Bass took a dive and then got grumpy because there was no foul and she hurt herself. Interestingly the best actors in the league seem to be all American. I actually think that Liz has been unfairly treated.

If you want a mongrel act to look a, try Rachael Jarry a couple of weeks ago.

Reply #658987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a typical grub Duke fan. You probably think that guy should have been suspended for getting his head in the way of Christian Laettner's foot

Reply #658988 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Clearly Bass didn't take a dive if Cambage and the Boomers have admitted guilt by accepting the penalty.

Reply #658990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you need to
Go to spec savers mate , Bass certainly didn't take a dive if anything she staggered to the ground after getting the Neanderthals knee almost up her rearend

Liz is a dirty player absolutely no question about it and she whines like a stuck pig if she doesn't get her way
Boomers should be ashamed of themselves for not checking her

Reply #658993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess we need to disagree. Three umpires on the court, they saw nothing in it, they were a lot closer than me. In what other game does does the teams playing
get to refer things to the review panel, unfortunately this will open the flood gates to stupidity.
If you had gone to Specsavers you would have seen that if Cambage did indeed knee Bass, then it can only have in her right knee, ah went down holding her left knee????????

Reply #658997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely you that needs to go to Specsavers.
Right knee into left leg.

Reply #658998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a video showing what happened clearly. Did you not watch it ? or do you think it is fakely produced to make Cambage bad ? waiting for your bullshit...

Reply #658999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that is Boti Nagy. 3 blog articles since the incident and the only thing he has written about Cambage is that she wins his POTW award.

Reply #659000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not unusual for refs to see "nothing" where Liz is concerned, unless they want a spray from her foul mouth, you Ned more than spec savers I think too lol

Reply #659001 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Have just read LJ defense of Liz's attack on Misty, what drugs is LJ on? I want some of thoses.
To quote " Liz gets attack all the time"

Its time for Melbourne to do something about their loose cannon before she even gets a bigger head than she has now.
Call a spade a spade.
Aren't the players that either retired or gone to other clubs glad that they have left. Must be laughing.

Reply #659052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As someone who goes to most Boomers games, I cannot say I am a big fan of Liz. The way she carries on and the abuses of Ref's and her own team mates is not a great example for anyone. Watching her the last 2 weeks I cannot believe she has not been Tech’ed, the only thing keeping her on the court is Jenna O’hea’s level head.
I don’t think we will see her back in the states as she could not handle the physical nature that big’s over there would give her considering she loses her head against a 17 year old (Magbegor) and 20 year old (Scherf)

Reply #659058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers are just creating more problems for themselves by defending Liz's actions.

Reply #659064 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

The ex player that must be pleased that they left the Boomers is Kunek.
She must be laughing at what is going on.
You sleep with dogs, you'll get fleas.

Reply #659124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

N-now th-that that don't kill her
Can only make her stronger

Reply #659128 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Digging up this thread again due to Liz's new comments about the incident.

Cambage Hits Out at 'Weak' Critics

Unfortunately it's behind a pay wall atm, but in addition to being critical of the referees in the WNBL over their inability to ref players her size (my interpretation: players exactly her size), she also had a crack at Canberra for being upset that their player got intentionally taken out.

I thought it was pretty weak

I was actually embarrassed by how Canberra carried on after it

So take note, Suzy Batkovic. You now basically have the blessing of both Lauren Jackson & Liz herself if you want to take her out early in game 2.

Reply #666998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She seriously is a douch

Reply #667010 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Not surprised at those comments.. She was on the radio a few weeks after the incident and was just about laughing at / mocking the league and Bass for going down after the kneeing. Certainly doesn't

https://player.fm/series/rsn-breakfast-club/liz-cambage-boomers-tight-finish

Reply #667011 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

She's an embarrassment. The sooner she's gone from basketball the better.

Reply #667015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The 204cm, 98kg centre, who struck foul trouble throughout the season, said local referees must “broaden their horizons".

“We've had referees come to us and say they don’t know how to ref me,” Cambage said.

“There’s no one else (in this league) that’s as big, and mobile, and passionate as me.

“It’s sad, because there’s a lot of players in the world that are talented, and this tall, and this passionate.

“I think it’s on the referees to maybe broaden their horizons on being able to ref players.””

What an arrogant stupid idiot she is, she gets fouls called because she’s a dirty player, she actually gets away with so much, and her tech fouls are because she can’t keep her big foul mouth shut, seriously , she’s big, she’s not mobile and her passion is anger management problem, the sooner she departs the WNBL the better.

Reply #667033 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"It's sad, because there’s a lot of players in the world that are talented, and this tall, and this passionate.
Note that she doesn't say there's anyone else as talented as her.

Reply #667035 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Most of you keyboard warriors are douches. She runs the floor like no other big of her size. She's absolutely right about the refs. They have no idea how to ref when she’s playing and miss a lot of fouls against her. She was MVP hands down but the league wouldn’t give it to her because of her suspension. And she’s outspoken and opinionated like everyone else on this forum.

Reply #667040 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

No she's not just outspoken. She's always pointing the finger at everyone else and never at herself. To claim Canberra was somehow the bad guy in the kneeing incident is the perfect example.

She's been over-the-top petulant on the court, to the point of beibg avusive, which has led to techs and ejections this season. She took no ownership of the kneeing incident - if she had have shown just a little bit of contrition people might give her some credit.

Being opinionated is one thing, but occasionally you also have to be humble and take responsibility for your actions.

Reply #667042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will miss Liz when she is no longer in the league.

Every great drama needs a villain.

Reply #667056 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 040:

" she's outspoken and opinionated like everyone else on this forum."

Is Liz on this forum??? “like everyone else” implies that she is.

I don’t think that phrase means what you think it means.

I'd be surprised if she posted here. She’s paid for her ability to play ball and get bums on seats, not for her thought processes or what she says.

Reply #667071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Else" could be referencing users of the forum other than the writer.

Reply #667076 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac

Liz is clearly used a small the subject of the sentence and phrase.

Drop "else" and it changes to the (presumably) intended meaning. Correct English written expression.

Reply #667077 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac

Liz is clearly used as the subject of the sentence and phrase.

Drop "else" and it changes to the (presumably) intended meaning. Correct English written expression.

Sorry. Auto co-wreck.

Reply #667078 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If you say you don't need the organisation , people will talk of how much they don't need you.
Your name will come up on hoolahoops.
Keep your tounge out of your cheek.
Be careful of enthusiasm .
Stay in line stay in step . People will want to get rid of someone who is not in step with them. Revenge will set in.

Reply #667081 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

She's paid for her ability to play ball and get bums on seats, not for her thought processes or what she says.
Usetahoop using your statement why don’t you judge her on bball ability then. Obviously you also use your "thought process"” and express your opinion on here.

Reply #667088 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754