Anonymous
Years ago

NH: Don Burke

By now you may have heard of the Don Burke scandal. Several women are accusing him of sexual harassment.

My question is, it seems everyone has declared the allegations to be true and are condemning him. He has denied the allegations. Should he get the benefit of the doubt? Don't get me wrong, if you asked me to make a guess, I would guess him to be guilty - but it would be that - an educated guess. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

At the moment it is one man's word against the word of others. Is this a fair approach and if so, when did this become the way to do it?

Topic #42281 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Is he in jail?

Reply #659674 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Bill Shorten's call to strip him of honours was just silly until he is actually found guilty, but the fact he has so many accusers means the court of public opinion is going to be very heavily against him.

Reply #659676 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Being a basketball related site, do we want to know if someone (using the timeframe of Don Burke) was accused of doing the same things in say an Opals camp or even an NBL or WNBL team?

The timeline I use is one that very few people are still left in the NBL that were seen in the 80s and 90s so would trying to ruin a reputation of someone we haven't heard of or since the last millennium. Would we care?

Reply #659680 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

It's been a quite entertaining saga.

The memes are starting to come through now as well.

The old clips filled with sexual inuendo are hilarious as well.

This has been one of the more entertaining scandles for sure.

Reply #659692 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Should he get the benefit of the doubt?"

When it's a case of his word vs theirs, and theirs includes 50 people, then he should absolutely not get the benefit of the doubt.
Sure, legally his guilt still needs to be established properly, but it's pretty obvious what the truth is. Even his own side of the story makes him look like a creep!

Reply #659695 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He is in no way entitled to the benefit of the doubt. This is not a he said she said case. There are a significant number of women who have now had the courage to come forward about Don Burke's appalling behaviour towards them. His interview with Tracy Grimshaw was his opportunity to at least acknowledge and apologise but he went down the arse covering PR route instead.

I remember similar comments about going easy on Robert 'Hey Dad' Hughes just because like Burke we all grew up with them on TV. People will excuse a lot when it's a celebrity, look at everything they get away with. The courts will decide his fate but I think it's safe to say he's in a world of trouble now and it was all of his own making.

Reply #659702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's likely that you've only heard about it because he has been a public figure in the past - he's traded off a public image. And now, this is not a legal case, but a public case: that public image is getting dismantled in the same place it was built up.

Shame the media executives kept putting money first and dodging responsibility when they first heard about it.

Reply #659703 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Regardless of what the Court of Public Opinion thinks, the Australian legal system is based on the basis that a person is innocent until proven guilty. In the case of criminal charges, this guilt must be proven and it is seen that it is better that a guilty man walks free than an innocent one goes to jail.

In civil matters, the onus of proof is a little different.

So far, I do not believe he has been actually charged with anything (?), but the static surrounding him is mounting and certainly attracting attention from authorities. Should they receive a complaint, then it will need to be investigated, then if there is sufficient evidence to pursue a prosecution they will commence proceedings. And of course, it then needs to be recorded as a conviction of some description.

Until then, although the discussions make him sound like the perverted uncle from hell at an underage teenage girls pool party, he is in fact entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Reply #659704 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Fiona Barnett came out about a year ago with claims of an absolute hornets nest (being swept under carpet). You can Google & Youtube the details, wherby she comes out with names.

Reply #659707 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Don Burke is most certainly entitled to presumption of innocence until proven guilty by a court of law, this is afforded to all Australians not just the ones we don't like.

Reply #659722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think he's innocent?

Reply #659727 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Until then, although the discussions make him sound like the perverted uncle from hell at an underage teenage girls pool party, he is in fact entitled to the presumption of innocence.
Don Burke is most certainly entitled to presumption of innocence until proven guilty by a court of law, this is afforded to all Australians not just the ones we don't like.
I repeat my earlier question: is he in jail?

Reply #659728 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Guilty doesn't always mean you go to jail.

Reply #659736 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

To the best of my knowledge there hasn't even been any criminal charges laid.

Reply #659737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there probably won't be. Do you think he is innocent of what it is he is alleged to do?

Reply #659747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*alleged to have done?

Reply #659748 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

I don't recall him playing basketball or ever being a Sixers fan so

Off with his head!

Reply #659753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The allegations just make him seem like an awkward old man with a big ego and a dirty mind. Why is this news?

Reply #659775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of Australia's biggest ever TV stars is a sexual predator.... Yeah, why is that news??

Reply #659782 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I will make sure that I decline any invitation to visit Burke's Back Yard.
Not all weeds appear to be in the ground.

Reply #659813 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Its sad because he always projected such a wholesome image, and it turns out he was just another creep.

That said, it is somewhat of a beat-up, in the sense that the TV industry is hardly a beacon of moral righteousness.

NB: I am not in any way defending Jim, he sounds like a vile lecherous creep, but he's probably no worse than many others in that industry.

Reply #659815 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, it's not ideal that the same media groups who profit from covering these things up and throwing dozens of victims under the bus, then profit again from blowing it all up into big news stories.

Reply #659816 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

" ... the TV industry is hardly a beacon of moral righteousness".

D2, I certainly agree. If anyone follows through on my earlier comment Fiona Barnett reveals a lot about the extent of it. Her experiences date back to when she was a child, if you get my drift.

Reply #659837 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The media for so long were the moral preachers on pretty much most things and it turns out its "do as i say not as i do" arrogance thats bringing down many of these celeb's/TV personalities

Reply #659840 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Fact is that this shit has been going on in the media and Hollywood since day one, and continues to go on. But now they selectively want to out a couple of individuals who for whatever reason have fallen out of favour.
I don't care about Burke being outed, he's a creep and deserves whatever he gets. But there's a lot more where he came from.

People wonder how it is that dirtbag paedophiles like Harris and that hey-Dad scum got away with it for so long? And this is why. Who could the victims turn to? Other scuzzball men? Or the women trading sexual favours with them?

True story: Back in around 2006 one of my staff was giving us regular updates on one of her close friends, who was screwing one of the (married) current darlings of Australian Television.

Reply #659890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like Burke we all grew up with them on TV.

I grew up watching the other stations on Friday nights - NBL on Seven and then Ten. :)

Reply #659893 | Report this post

AL  
Years ago

Love to make a comment but due to the New Age Over Insentative Woman i might find myself in court 50years from now and getting sued...

Reply #660017 | Report this post

AL  
Years ago

Love to make a comment but due to the New Age Over Insentative Woman i might find myself in court 50years from now and getting sued...

Reply #660018 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I hear you.
The problem here definitely lies with all the women, LOL.

Reply #660020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When it's a case of his word vs theirs, and theirs includes 50 people, then he should absolutely not get the benefit of the doubt.
Sure, legally his guilt still needs to be established properly, but it's pretty obvious what the truth is. Even his own side of the story makes him look like a creep!"

I'm not sure there's been 50 people who have come out. I think the original story was launched on the allegations of 3-4 women. And since then others have come out with some additional stories to "add fuel to the fire" so to speak. From what I can gather, most of the additional stories since the original story came out were not sexual harassment allegations but stories about Don's potty mouth etc.

But where do you draw the line? Is it if 5 people say something then it is deemed to be true? Or 10?

Also, I'm not sure how we can conclude "it is pretty obvious what the truth is" except to buy into the stereotype of the creepy old man (which he may very well be, but I'm not sure how we can establish it based purely on stories in the press).

Meanwhile, any further job opportunities for Burke have probably been extinguished. I guess at the end of the day, as one of the other posters pointed out, Burke is not in jail. His job opportunities and public perception have been destroyed based on public perception and assumptions based on these allegations. But this is no different to others in the world who are judged and discriminated against without any firm basis on which to form that judgment.

Reply #660045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, poor Don... He's the real victim here.

Reply #660080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asperges doe

Reply #660084 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #660096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem atm is that sexual harassment is getting treated the same as sexual assault via social media.

If someone is sexually assaulted, a report should be instantly made to the police.

If Steven Seagal tries to hook up with you inappropriately in 1998 don't quote #metoo in 2017.

Notes: what Weinstein, Louis CK, and others did was/is completely wrong.

Reply #660097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but you think people should continue to employ burke? I don't know what the law says but I know what pretty much every workplace code of conduct specifically prohibits.

Reply #660114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If someone is sexually assaulted, a report should be instantly made to the police"

Well that solves that then!

Reply #660123 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/in-their-own-words-women-speak-up-against-don-burke-20171201-gzx4eq.html

Reply #660239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754