Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Sixers, Jan 21

You would think the Hawks finals chances have gone. They are still there, but about as great as Robert Di Natale hosting an Australia Day BBQ pumping out Corey Bernadi's hottest 100 whilst wearing a red baseball cap saying "Make America Great Again"

Illawarra shouldn't give up hope. Wollongong has traditionally been a sad hunting ground for the Sixers. I don't know the stats, but if they had a win rate of much over 30% I would be surprised.

Adelaide just look the part and have depth. The matchups on paper look better than in real life. It's interesting both teams have captains wearing #7 jerseys coming off the bench.

Hawks should fight back hard, but not quite enough IMHO.

I propose the winning team do a Conger line

Topic #42557 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am tipping a hawks win.

Wollongong is the 36ers least favorite venue along with Perth under Joey wright.

in Wollongong 2 wins from 9 attempts- Those 2 wins coming in the 2014/15 season when Wollongong finish last with 6 wins

Reply #667809 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hawks

Reply #667810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say Adelaide has too much to play for in regards to the ladder etc but Joey did coach them to a Game 3 Semi loss at home with even more to play for, sooooo....

But Adelaide should win, too much more to play for and Joey doesnt have to coach against the mighty Marvelle Harris this arvo lol

Reply #667812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks fluked last year in a very tight competition, they ain't that good. Adelaide by 10 plus.

Reply #667815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks did not fluke winning 2 out of 3. Adelaide out coached and the players not switched on, more concerned with creating media related digs at the Hawks.

Today id like to think the 36er core will be able to semi lock in top 2.

Reply #667820 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hate to be pedantic, but Forman isn't the Hawks' captain. It's White (#3) and Norton this year.

Anyway, good test for the confident 36ers.

Reply #667832 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NBL need to remove the (c) from against Oscar on the Box Score, unless it stands for something else

Reply #667851 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hawks can't be that crap twice right?

Reply #667887 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Johnson, Sobey and Shorter were the only three to play long gruelling minutes on Friday nights winning game. Still betting Johnson will hit his season average as he's looking very committed this season. Seems even when he thinks and acts like he's had a bad call he translates that to extra effort. Great to see. Sobey will not want to fall back after such a great game so even if he gets a few less minutes I think he will not lack effort. Shorter is Shorter, he will just keep on and Moore might have a few extra minutes of his time.

Joey spread the load very well Friday night so travel factor should be minimal.

Sixers depth and improved game to prove too much for the Hawks. Adelaide by 10!

Reply #667901 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"Wollongong is the 36ers least favorite venue"

Just had a Damon Lowery flashback. Thanks a lot...

Reply #667909 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I'd like a competitive game to watch but at the same time it was nice to see the 36ers so switched on and firing the other day.

Reply #667929 | Report this post

Trevor Gleeson  
Years ago

Let's Go Sixers Let's Go!

Reply #667932 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

This game isn't interesting everyone is talking about Sydney belting Perth and the demise of the 8 time champs

Reply #667935 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

36ers have 39 points in 10 minutes. Statman, Is that a new record for the 40 minute game?

Reply #667941 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sixers shooting from three point 6/7 and finally matching other teams from there... Fantastic. Creek 2/3 sensational.

Keep it up fantastic 78% from field!!!

Reply #667942 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Hodgson showing some signs!

Reply #667948 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hawks look pretty good but Adelaide look so many levels above.

Reply #667950 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Thumbs up to Adelaide so far. Wow.

Reply #667952 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The Hawks are making Adelaide look great with terrible D. Great energy and cutting from Adelaide. They're getting 1-on-1 matchup with lots of space to operate.

I get the feeling they're spending petrol tickets at this point of the season. They won't be this good come playoffs

Reply #667954 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ogilvy is finished, can't hit a layup and can't defend anyone, doesn't run in transition either way and he can't even rebound anymore.

Hawks should just go small ball Coneradd at the 4, Kay at 5 and run and gun.

Reply #667955 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

The game could be a bit closer if the Hawks bigs could finish inside, they have missed a lot of easy ones and Adelaide have them got out on the break. It's as if the pace the Sixers play with is making the Hawks rush in offense.

Hodgson so frustrating though, he played very well in that first half but committed silly fouls again and now has to sit on the bench. That moving screen was just dunb and he needed to go straight up on the Ogilvy play. The whole Adelaide roster seems to be firing though making us look irresistible!

Reply #667956 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Don't forget, this isn't a 3pt shooting team. 7/9 at half-time

Reply #667957 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

If Hawks lose this they can't make the finals.

Reply #667966 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If Illawarra lose this Perth will be ok. Abd they probably shouldn't...

Reply #667968 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Illawarra showing some fight

Reply #667970 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hawks losing doesn't make Perth ok. Perth are only 3 wins in front of Cairns and we still have 2 games vs them.

Reply #667972 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm stating the obvious here, but Josh Childress has a bit of psycho in him

Reply #667973 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Cairns will lose to Melbourne and that'll be it for Taipans.

Reply #667974 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hawks could still win from here if they shoot the lights out. Adelaide have repelled all the comebacks so far though.

Reply #667975 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Come on Sixers not safe yet, bring it home by 10!

Reply #667976 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Game over. Shut up please Cory Williams you're doing my head in.

Reply #667977 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looking pretty safe now though

Reply #667978 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Who is more important to Adelaide, Creek or Shorter?

Reply #667979 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They're all important. That's why they're good.

Reply #667980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide rattling on about Gonger Mvp, creek is better than him. Conger has had six turnovers.

Reply #667981 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Easy to look good when your teammates aren't performing.

Reply #667982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rotnei clarke from 3 point range is 0 from 12.

Reply #667983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fri Night 112-90 36ers
Sunday 93-112 36ers

Reply #667985 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

7 straight since the change in the starting line up
Took a long time but we are building chemistry .

Shorter looks fitter , focused and is firing
Sobey's D has to be his focus and it has been
Creek will play NBA next season , flat out stud
Childress provides so much at the 4 , GLUE .
DJ , looks much better with space , C&S , less forcing

Moore is smoooooth as silk . Our x-factor off bench
Hodgson , energy , boards , blocks , dunks .
Drmic , will be vital at full fitness come playoffs
Deng , injuries gave him the chance to mature . Boom
Teys , can handle him as 10th man playing 5 mins max

We are finally playing to our strengths .

Reply #667986 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha such a politician statement, Udog.

It's clear that their drive comes from Shorter/Creek.

I'd say Shorter is more important. Head of the snake. Team came good once he started playing with a chip on his shoulder

Reply #667988 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Then again, Creek came back and killed it too. Tough to split them

Reply #667989 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We're looking pretty good right now but not getting carried away with the streak we've gone 0-4 against Melbourne this season.

Reply #668005 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The Doyle injury also meant Moore started bringing the ball up more for the second unit. Moore and Shorter have both come along in leaps and bounds (see what I did there?).

Reply #668013 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

0-3 against Melbourne in the first 3 weeks of the season might not mean much though with Shorter out and injuries and imports leaving. The last game in Melbourne they came good second half too.

Reply #668015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek better than Conger hahahahahahahahahahhahah

Reply #668027 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Creek better than Conger, no hahahahaha

Reply #668036 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

This streak reminds me a little of the 2014-15 season when a young 4 man from the Boomers joined the team during the season. The Sixers were on a roll going into the Finals but then got cleaned up by the Breakers.

Too soon to start talking championship.

Reply #668065 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Yeah but Adam Gibson was on that team. And Jason Cadee.

Reply #668066 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Jason Cadee wasn't, he left prior to that season to join the kings.

I was thinking the same thing Big Ads, whoever we play in the playoffs is going to be tough but Motum also got injured just before that playoffs series which didn’t help. Either way, it doesn’t matter what sort of streak you bring in to the playoffs, you have to bring on the day, home court will also help if we can secure it.

Reply #668074 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

As a Perth fan I can admit to being jealous of Adelaide's offence.

Reply #668078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide then day light and yes Creek is better than Conger

Reply #668079 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Sixers scored double perth today....

Reply #668097 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

How good was the decision to not pay extra for Randall as we have got a team here that has real depth and don't have any one person that has to carry team.
And now playing as a unit no matter who is on especially on defence which if we can improve on will make our chances very high as always with this team going to get a winnable score.
Don't know where Shorter was in some of those earlier games or maybe finally got Joey off his back by getting system Joey wanted and now confident.
Finally Creek is the player we all been waiting for but NBA I don't think so as most points are going to basket and just a bit bigger and stronger to allow that.
But if we keep must must must be captain again.

Reply #668110 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Don't forget that Shorter went back to US because of the hurricane after a few games. They just flew his Mum over and he started playing well then. Who knows how that experience has affected him.

Reply #668112 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Out on the road, playing a team who had a chance to learn from how you just beat them and recover, and still pummelled the Hawks. Fourth straight 100+ point game. I think they hit 100 with 6 minutes to run!? And not only is there such an even spread of talent, but you don't even get a sniff of a prima donna on the team.

When Sobey recovers form, you can see he's not celebrating for himself, but with the team. It's a really likeable squad IMO, especially with three solid contributing imports, and good prospects (Drmic, Deng, etc). There's some formidable opposition still, but I'd be keen to see them run rampant through the league and finals and win it all.

On Creek vs Conger, I think Conger probably has a broader skillset and think he'll win MVP, but I'd take Creek first. I suspect Conger's inclusion in a team is disruptive (from his style of play rather than personality) - the Hawks look ineffective too often and the significant roster changes have been Conger and Ogilvy's form.

Creek seems to fit a team, plays hard no matter what, contributes in multiple facets. Doesn't need to dominate the ball to influence a game in subtle ways.

Reply #668121 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

In other words, what makes a "better" player. One who stands out at the detriment of the team or one who could possibly dominate a game but fits in, plays a role and contributes to a better team?

Reply #668127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issa and U-dog

Exactly, I'm not an Adelaide supporter but Creek is my mvp, it's a team sport, no matter how good Conger and even Prather was at Melbourne they didn't suit the team, to ball dominant. It's a lot easier to close down one guy than five and in Illawarra case have not looked anywhere as good as last season. Melbourne have only lost one game since the Prather injury. Good teams beat star players.

Reply #668143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Udog, hard to say with much authority and why I think it's worth a more detailed discussion than just "x > y" or "You're crazy! y > x!".

I have no qualms with someone saying Conger is better than Creek because it's certainly not an outrageous comment in the context of a sports forum.

Reply #668156 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I suspect Conger's inclusion in a team is disruptive (from his style of play rather than personality) - the Hawks look ineffective too often and the significant roster changes have been Conger and Ogilvy's form.

I actually think Conger has in part saved this team from complete humiliation. After a fortunate GF appearance I think they went on a year too long with a group that features 3-4 (possibly 5) players that wouldn't make any other team's roster. Conger has saved them from the basement, IMO. They're also paying for investing too much into Ogilvy.

In my opinion there have seemed to be a few poor decisions made at the Hawks that have compounded and will need to be changed next season. A cleanout of the roster would be all but guaranteed and possibly even a coaching change too.

Reply #668184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754