Udog
Years ago

Cody Ellis face slap

Thoughts?

Not ejected for deliberate high contact.

Topic #42562 | Report this topic

Udog  
Years ago

P.s. i know Sobey was being a turd but it seems like the commentators thought it was a definite ejection.

Reply #668011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt take the commentators opinions as gospel! Wasnt a huge intent from my point of view, maybe an unsportsmanlike, ejection not so much,

Reply #668028 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought all of the commentators were going on about that incident too much. It wasn't worthy of an ejection an unsportsman like foul okay then play on.

It was funny when they admitted the commentators got sent an email from upstairs telling them to stop carrying on about calls all game.

Reply #668031 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Of course it should have been an ejection! Otherwise from now on you're welcome to slap someone across the face and you will only get an Unsportsmanlike foul for it.

Reply #668061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh the drama. Sobey comes rushing in and makes contact with Ellis who isnt looking. He instinctively flicks his hand to say "get off" and the back of his hands flicks Sobey's face. To say it was a full on slap is fantasy. Both players received unsportsmanlike fouls. Move on nothing to see here.

Reply #668063 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That's what I was thinking Brunson but if the commentators got an email then we have to be quite too right.

Reply #668064 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Oh the drama. Sobey comes rushing in and makes contact with Ellis who isnt looking. He instinctively flicks his hand to say "get off" and the back of his hands flicks Sobey's face. To say it was a full on slap is fantasy. Both players received unsportsmanlike fouls. Move on nothing to see here."

lol yes I usually slap someone across the face accidentally when I am trying to say "get off". Also who the heck says "get off"? :P

Reply #668077 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I also know how high my arm is when it's deliberately going places.

Reply #668082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BIG difference with an instinctive arm shrug that makes contact, and a guy who is squaring up making eye contact to the area he is swinging at. Surely thats the end of discussion.

Reply #668086 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Did you send the email to the commentators?

Reply #668091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anything Sobey should have been teched for a flop. Holding his eye like it was poked out, then seconds later he is fine.

Reply #668095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden up. Move on. Get on with the game.

Reply #668096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He understands it.

Reply #668098 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Flop? Oh dear....

Reply #668113 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Be interested to see if he gets sighted with video review this week for deliberate high contact. Or if it's just ignored amd sets a new precedence.

Reply #668114 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So a can all slap Sobey and we are only going to get an unsportsmanlike foul... sounds good to me

Reply #668116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Also who the heck says "get off"? :P"

People who say "heck" ;-)

Reply #668119 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hey, plenty of people probably want to slap Sobey so if it's seen to be ok it'll be a slappy free for all from now on.

Reply #668124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And it was a backhander not a slap :)

Reply #668138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sighted? For what? I'd love to see the medical report on Sobey's eye

Reply #668145 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The Newscorp journalist has described it as an "open handed slap".

Reply #668149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The newscorp journalist is a moron. Sobey came from Ellis blind side into his right shoulder arm and Ellis reacted by flicking his arm back. So unless he did some super quick MMA move its impossible for to have hit him with an open hand. His hand was open, it was just the back of his hand.

I hope Sobey "iced" his injury and he doesnt have a black eye or fractured cheek bone :p

Reply #668150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey deserved more than just a bitch slap.

If he didnt rush in being a smart arse it would not have happenned.

Then to act like he had been shot is laughable.

Reply #668153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is there footage of this?

Reply #668154 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Yes. Otherwise nobody would be referencing it.

Reply #668155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well usually someone posts a link to the footage when its a controversial play.

Reply #668157 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Have a look at NBLTV replay of Hawks/36ers game. First quarter. I'm too old and lazy to work out posting links. Sobey runs over and gives him a mouthful and gets belted in the head. Can't miss it because the commentators start going on about it and they do a few replays.

Reply #668163 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-win-seventh-straight-match-defeating-illawarra-hawks-in-wollongong/news-story/560c06d8d0419790c50b88dfc03ab4e0

This is the article though.

Reply #668168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Sobey runs over and gives him a mouthful and gets belted in the head."

Very one-sided description of what happened.

My version would be Sobey comes rushing in, pushes Ellis, Ellis throws his arms back, grazes Sobey's face and Sobey immediately grabs his eye like he just took a punch from Mike Tyson. Camera stays on Sobey, moments later Sobey lets go of his face and moves on like he was not touched.

Goes to replay, shows hand grazing Sobey's cheek and then Sobey grabbing his eye, which was no where near where any contact was made.

Sobey flopped and should have been punished accordingly.

Reply #668169 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

3:09 left in the first.

Reply #668170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ellis belted Sobey in the head, then Sobey gave Ellis whiplash. Both are as preposterous as each other.

Reply #668171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Watched the replay. Not worth an ejection. Sobey came in to antagonise Ellis after he got the offensive foul, yapping and up against him. Ellis went to push him away, but his arm was elevated above Sobey's shoulder - Ellis' body was inclined from the vertical as Sobey was right next to him. Ellis lightly touched him around the jaw, which Sobey then capitalised on.

It wasn't major contact and Sobey was instigating something and overacting afterwards. Give them a warning for being ridiculous and Adelaide possession.

Reply #668182 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Like a feather touching a piece of felt. Actually it was more like a handshake or a hug.

Reply #668183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Like a feather touching a piece of felt. Actually it was more like a handshake or a hug."

So he was no longer "belted in the head"? Proud of you for coming to your senses Udog

Reply #668187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:55 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754