Anonymous
Years ago

Top free agents revealed by FOX

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/top-10-nbl-free-agents-at-the-end-of-the-201718-season/news-story/714785a9065f7300d49ebe88cef74481

1. Mitch Mccarron
2. Daniel Johson
3. Jason Cadee
4. Cameron Gliddon
5. Shea Ili
6. Goulding
7. Isaac Humphries
8. Mitch Norton
9. Nick Kay
10. Reuben Te RANGI

As a cats fan I could easily see the wildcats pick up a centre by paying big bucks to pick up Daniel Johnson to push Brand back to the bench and someone like Mccarron or Gliddon. (Damian Martin is looking his age and my tip is he would be coming off the bench next season to prolong his career). With 2 centres the cats could get a scoring import 3/4 man off the bench instead of the poor 5 mans the NBL can afford. They probably need at least 1-2 more talented younger players to renew the team - but this would be a start.

Topic #42654 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Nick Kay is a nice young player who will get solid interest on a 2/3 year deal.

McCarron already told Cairns he'll be moving south if Fearne stays and I've heard the color purple really suits him!

Reply #670976 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

McCarron already told Cairns he'll be moving south if Fearne stays and I've heard the color purple really suits him!

This is the second time today I've read something about McCarron not being happy and keen to leave... Has this come from anywhere in particular or some hot sauce, or just people assuming?

Reply #670980 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^
Just a guess as usual in here.

Reply #670981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic not even top 10

Reply #670983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Te Rangi.

Did Lemanis compile this list?

Reply #670986 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perth would be crazy not to make offers to some of this list.
All 30 or younger. Johnson and Gliddon both from WA.
Surely NZ would keep Ili.

Reply #670988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney would have to cull some existing players to pick up McCarron. You have cadee, Randall and lisch. Any additional guard would get limited minutes if these 3 are returned.

Melb, Sydney and Adelaide are well stocked. Teams like Perth, NZ , Brisbane would be places where a quality recruit would get minutes

Reply #670989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson is one of the best centres in the NBL and the fact he is not recognised for it, highlights he is in the wrong team.

Johnson > Brandt but Brandt is in the boomers. Go figure.

Reply #670991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having both Brandt and DJ would be a defensive liability. Unless Perth can get an import 4 who can bang defensively with the bigger guys.

Reply #670995 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I certainly wouldn't say no to a three man guard rotation of Damian Martin, Cameron Gliddon and Mitch Norton :)

Damo might be looking his age but anyone who thinks he is not capable of starting minutes has a short memory for how lost the Wildcats look without him out there.

Reply #671003 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Wonder if any team would take a chance on Can Bairstow.

Reply #671010 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

It's time for damo to take a back seat, need to stop saying that. He isn't going to be around forever.

New blood, new Aussie core so we can transition when they retire.

Perth should spend more on Aussie born than imports next season to sustain success.

Can see cotton staying and hopefully naturalized.

Reply #671027 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Isn't Kickert a free agent?

Bairstow, Wesley, Drmic, Vukona etc should be on that list ahead of the likes of Te Rangi.

Reply #671028 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Wildcats will sign Gliddon and Goulding.

Reply #671030 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its common knowledge up in cairns that Gliddon and Mccarron gave the club an ultimatum on Fearne.

Kings in particular are into McCaron hard whilst Brisbane and Melb chasing Gliddon

Reply #671034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say every club would be chasing McCarron.

Reply #671036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would anyone trust this list when they can't even get right who is and isn't a free agent. Brandt signed until the end of the 2019/2020 season and that still isn't showing on their free agent tracker correctly after the first one said he was a free agent after this year.

Reply #671040 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

What is Mc Carron a 1 or 2?

Would he be able to run the show starting at point?

But he can't shoot well enough for the 2.

Reply #671043 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think it is funny there is an assumption that DJ as a free agent will leave Adelaide.

I am pretty certain he will stay on, but for more dollars.

Reply #671046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee to Brisbane is the rumour, a lot of these guys talk of moving to get there value up, smart business.

Reply #671050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries should be, playing seabl, Kay could be a good pick up for Perth, replace Knight.

Reply #671053 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

DJ is no different to any other free agent on the list, until he is resigned he is subject to speculation.

Reply #671057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure exactly who Perth is keeping.
Martin, Brandt, Steindl, Wagstaff.
Kenny?? and Walker??
Hire and DKD let go.
Keep Cotton but not Tokoto or Cooke.

Perth should even go with two imports and chase two names on top 10 list. I would go for Gliddon and Kay.
Try and get at least one college guy for the future.

Gliddon. Martin
Cotton. Steindl
Import. Rookie eg Moneke or McDaniel.
Kay. Wagstaff. L. Walker?
Bairstow. Brandt.

Reply #671059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's understood that bairstow is returning to Brisbane.

There's some bad blood between Bris front office and Mccaron already so I don't see that.

I'm seeing Goulding to Brisbane (where all his family is) and Mccaron to Melbourne.

Gliddon heads to Perth.

Reply #671061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay returns to Illawara.. he likes the culture and seems to like bevo.

AJ Ogilvy will be released with that money used to sign a better 5 man import

Reply #671062 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Remember Tokoto was looking like the best import to cross our shores in the past few seasons, but turned out to be a bitch ass. Just say, I called it

Reply #671063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone no if Perry ellis is staying

Reply #671064 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ogilvy would be a decent fit in Perth. He'll either thrive, or play like he always does in Perth. I think he'll thrive.

My take is that he needs to be reminded how big and tough he is. No place like Perth for that

Reply #671065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey look everyone, Manu is seeking attention again!

Reply #671066 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Signing Ogilvy would ensure Perth miss the finals next year for the first time in ... years.
He shits himself when he's matched on a stronger or physical guy and stays as far away as possible.

Reply #671067 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy signed a 3 year deal with the Hawks in 2016. Even if the last year of the deal is a player option I doubt he'd be silly enough to walk away from it given how low his stock would be now.

Reply #671068 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kay returns to Illawara.. he likes the culture and seems to like bevo.
Doesn't seem like Bevo is coming back though.

Reply #671069 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Manu is harmless.
Big question is who do Cairns replace McCarron, Gliddon and Weigh with?

Reply #671070 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Someone on here said Jawai supposedly wants out too but I do find that very hard to believe.

Reply #671072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They replace those 3 with Shaun Bruce, Teys and Hire

Reply #671073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding. cheaper than signing McCarron
Cadee starter
Reuben Te Rangi sixth man

Reply #671074 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wha? Goulding's on $400K a year, McCarron would only be able to command a fraction of that.

Reply #671079 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hogwash, I'm only as harmless as people want me to be. Obviously I have quite the effect on a certain anon poster here. He/she can't stop talking about me

Reply #671081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam is Perth bound.

Reply #671082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the amount of Money Jawai is on i think the Taipans would happily let him out of his deal if he wants out.

Reply #671084 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

You just dribble, remind me of dazz and hogwash. You both think you know it all.

Reply #671085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A players coach like Bevo has had enough of Ogilvy so a task master like Trev .. lets just say Ogilvy would be crying after every training session.

Reply #671086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawaai is carrying too much weight which impacts his ability to play out a full season. Needs to shed a lot of kilos to give his legs a chance to play out a season.

Reply #671089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo has two years left on his contract, don't reckon going anywhere despite the rumours.

Reply #671090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If kobe says Bevo is going then he's going

Reply #671091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson McCaron and Goulding are the only ones on that list that could demand exceptional money and even Goulding is over 30 so he might not get as much as he is now.
All Melbourne are free agents except for Moller and Adnam. There some talent there, Wesley for starters. Lol Humphries, would take Majok ahead of him.

Reply #671092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo to Sydney? why not? Contracts are nothing these days

Reply #671093 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Gliddon to Perth would be good.

Reply #671094 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bevo has two years left on his contract, don't reckon going anywhere despite the rumours.
I doubt he wants to deal with Spencely's meddling anymore than he has to, and Spencely doesn't seem too fond of him...a mutual parting of ways is hardly unlikely.

Reply #671095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not many coaching jobs out there, bevo chose Illawarra for family reasons, unless he agrees to work with gaze not certain where he could go.

Reply #671098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns need a new coach. Fearne to me has never been a great coach and it is a failed season by all accounts for Cairns.

Reply #671099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon and Daniel Johnson to Perth are like the worst kept secret

Reply #671103 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I just don't think DJ would leave the Sixers.

He came back from his Europe stint, at that point could have gone anywhere but still chose the Sixers.

There must be something about the organisation that endears him so.

Reply #671110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah they let him play 30 mins a game and play no defence

Reply #671115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock Landale to United. Heard it here first

Reply #671119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson to Perth is what I am hearing. Have not heard about Gliddon

Reply #671120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any rumors on imports staying

Reply #671122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports are never really mentioned at this point. They explore other opportunities and other offers, and after summer league decisions are often made

Reply #671123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto going to Spain after the wildcats season

Reply #671124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone thinking of staying I'm hearing, would knock the Landale theory around.

Reply #671128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boone thinking of staying I'm hearing, would knock the Landale theory around."

Word around Melbourne is Boone wont be offered another contract if they can land their man.. Bogut. Discussions now happening but will depend on what happens with AB in March with NBA teams

Reply #671134 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Bogut would be big news but he has a tendency to watch more games than he suits up for because he's injured. Boone is the best player Melbourne have and the best big man in the league. Be a risk to make that swap.

Reply #671136 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Doubt Bogut but you have to remember there are so few games compared to the nba it would be much easier to get through the season.

Reply #671139 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Wildcats starting five for 18/19, Boone, Johnson, Cotton, Prather, Martin.

Kenny, Wagstaff, Gliddon, Jervis off the bench.

Reply #671172 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

As if Prather would go back to those feral supporters!

Reply #671197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he didn't demand Cotton money then he would still be at the Wildcats

Reply #671199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting reading some of these comments regarding Cairns. I spoke with McCarron this past weekend and he had nothing but good things to say about Fearne. Where does this 'common knowledge' come from?

Reply #671209 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Is Jervis a free agent too?

His career regressed after leaving the Wildcats. I think its important to chase money but sometimes I have to think whether a few tens of thousands is worth it.

Reply #671215 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Tai Wesley top 3 for sure if available as a local.

Reply #671235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's interesting reading some of these comments regarding Cairns. I spoke with McCarron this past weekend and he had nothing but good things to say about Fearne. Where does this 'common knowledge' come from?
I haven't heard anything about McCarron so have no comment on that direct case, but his response to questions would depend on who you are. If a fan goes up and asks a player, they'll get the nice version. If it's a friend of some sort, they're more likely to get the reality or hints at it.

Reply #671254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way many careers go: Young guys go to poorer teams to build experience and make a name , the big teams are talent heavy so harder to do it there.

TYhey then try to land a big contract at a wealthier team with the plus side of serious finals chance.

At Cairns or Illawara you might have to put up with second best - poorer facilities, smaller crowds, less professional teams and less chance at winning a title.

So love or not - an ambitious young guy at one of these teams is looking for the bigger contract at Perth, Melb, Sydney and maybe 1-2 others

Reply #671258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon
Cotton
* import
Wesley or Kay
D Johnson

Martin
?
Steindl
?
Wagstaff
Brandt

Get a couple of rookies or young guys in those bench spots, or keep Kenny.

Reply #671259 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Don't want Johnston in Perth.

Reply #671262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats need another AU centre as US centres are not that good. Better to search for 3 or 4 man US import.

Reply #671263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth offered Johnson a contract when he returned from Europe
At the time Adelaide were broke and paying for Motum so doubt Adelaide could spend much on him. if Johnson didn't chase the money then I find it hard to believe he will now

Reply #671272 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Anonymous #671209 said: "It's interesting reading some of these comments regarding Cairns. I spoke with McCarron this past weekend and he had nothing but good things to say about Fearne. Where does this 'common knowledge' come from?"

Jordan Gerrans seems to be saying the opposite of what the “common knowledge” poster is saying. This is what Gerrans wrote in the Cairns Post on Saturday - “A sticking point on the contracts of Fearne and star pair Mitch McCarron and Cameron Gliddon is that they share the same agent, with two of the three contracts understood to hinge on the other progressing.”

I read that as meaning that McCarron and Gliddon would look elsewhere if Fearne was NOT reappointed as coach. Both players have done very well under Fearne with both getting significant minutes that they may not necessarily get elsewhere and Gliddon is captain as well.

The “common knowledge” poster may well be correct however if Gliddon and McCarron have had enough of Fearne they are doing a very good job of hiding it.

Time will tell, I guess.

Reply #671315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't Gliddon already re-signed?

Reply #671316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he has hes happy to never win a title.

Reply #671318 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

DJ will be 30 next season, so this will probably be his final "peak-level" salary of his career for the next 2-3 years. Without knowing him personally, it's hard to say that money wouldn't be a factor in his decision, I think it would be in most of our's.

Reply #671319 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And if you replace Scoochie with a Scottie Wilbekin or Travis Trice and Cairns aren't that far off even right now, although you'd still want a better #2 import. Longer odds at a title with Cairns over, say, Perth, but it's hardly outside the realm of possibility, and believe it or not that motivates some guys more than Kevin Duranting your way to a title.

Reply #671321 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

And if my Aunty had balls..............

Reply #671325 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@AngusH said - "And if you replace Scoochie with a Scottie Wilbekin or Travis Trice and Cairns aren't that far off even right now, although you'd still want a better #2 import. Longer odds at a title with Cairns over, say, Perth, but it's hardly outside the realm of possibility, and believe it or not that motivates some guys more than Kevin Duranting your way to a title."

I agree AngusH. Two good imports in the 1 and 4 spots (with one of those being very good) and the Taipans have a very competitive team. Their season was derailed almost from the beginning when Carrerra was injured before the season started (and again not long after he came back) plus Jawai went down in the first game.

They have been playing undermanned for most of the season when it's all said and done (Weigh went down also after having a good start to the season) and I personally think have done a reasonable to good job to win as many games as they have.

Reply #671330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne doesn't know how to play good point guards, Trice thriving at Brisbane and Smith being played less minutes than Weeks but is a far better player when given the reigns.

Reply #671332 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Agree Twink and Angus... Throw Scottie at least back into the team and they're a much more reliable team... Got to be able to consistently be able to put points on the board and take some pressure off the more talented defenders to not have to do it at both ends (similar but in reverse to the Kings and relying so hard on Lisch until a more potent scorer in Randle came on board).

Add another more top shelf import 4/5 instead of Egwu or Evans Jr (both of whom I think are really solid players so nothing against them, more in that there is a need for a better player in their positions) and that's a top 4 team for sure...

^ anon does have a point though, it seems that Fearne doesn't really work that well with import PGs, so whether he or his game plan might need to change to accommodate that... maybe with a top shelf PG he might be more comfortable to do that...

Reply #671360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trice is thriving on a sub .500 team and averaging the same stats as last season.

Didn't Smith start 3/4 of the season? Weeks had better stats than him playing fewer minutes off the bench.

Reply #671364 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"And if you replace Scoochie with a Scottie Wilbekin or Travis Trice and Cairns aren't that far off even right now, "

With all due respect....To me this is a statement without substance.

You can't get cherry pick a top player from the past and notionally insert him into the lineup and magically elevate them to the playoffs.

Firstly, then every team would get the same opportunity which means :

Adelaide get Maher / Mee /Davis / Brooks.
Brisbane get Loggins / Rucker
Melbourne get Gaze / Copeland.
Illawarra get Overton / MVP Ervin / Savs.
NZ get Ced Jackson.
Perth get Grace / Ennis.
Sydney get Luke Cooper and Ben Allen.

The fact that people have to cherry pick goes to show how seldon Cairns finds good imports.

Reply #671366 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Huh? With all due respect, that's the most ridiculous reply to a post I've seen all year...

No-one is magically cherry picking all-time NBL level talent... They're using Cairns' previous imports as an example that if they could afford players at the top of their game instead of getting them as entry level like Scoochie, that the rest of the core of the team isn't that far off making playoffs...

It doesn't have to be EXACTLY those players, think of it more along the lines of Perth coming last and then bringing in Cotton to fill that missing part of the puzzle for them...

Reply #671372 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Markel Starks never gets no love....

Reply #671373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns should chase emmet Naar hard, pass first point guard, bit soft on D though which Fearne might get the shits, though Naar could defend in a system.

Reply #671374 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Isn't Naar declaring for the draft? I'd say he'd be looking bigger than playing NBL at this stage.

Reply #671376 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@WookieE said: "Add another more top shelf import 4/5 instead of Egwu or Evans Jr (both of whom I think are really solid players so nothing against them, more in that there is a need for a better player in their positions) and that's a top 4 team for sure...

^ anon does have a point though, it seems that Fearne doesn't really work that well with import PGs, so whether he or his game plan might need to change to accommodate that... maybe with a top shelf PG he might be more comfortable to do that..."
------
Egwu would be the import to retain WookieE. Egwu is back up for Jawai and is a perfect fit for that role. If Fearne is reappointed I would be very surprised if Egwu is not signed again. Evans was only a short term replacement for Carerra however I agree with your thoughts about him. Although a bit inconsistent and prone to get into foul trouble at times, I think he did his job pretty well considering he has essentially been an SEABL level import. He played some very good games and played a major part in a couple of wins.

Anon #671364, stats don't always tell the full story. I agree with the other anon and Wookie that Fearne doesn't really work all that well with PG's. As last season wore on, Fearne was butting heads with Trice, benching him for mistakes and reducing his minutes in some games. To me, he seems to be playing with far more assuredness this season and I personally think he is playing better than he did last season.

Where Scoochie is concerned, I agree with the other anon that he is a better player than Weeks when given the reigns and I feel Fearne is being just plain stubborn at times by not giving him more minutes. The Taipans do need better at that spot next season and Scoochie does make mistakes but so does Weeks. Scoochie, to his credit, seems to be still putting in and I feel has played pretty well since being benched, which makes it even more annoying he isn't being used more.

Reply #671379 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@Kingpodge said: "Markel Starks never gets no love...."

He didn't get much from Fearne either Podge and received some almighty blasts from him :)

Reply #671380 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha that's true but then he had those 2 huge games.... of course, 2 games later he does his hammy, misses 2 games and comes back limp.

Trice and Fearne were working well together by the end of the season. I think we went 9/12 to finish the season and he just about doubled his output and his PER went from about 11 to 20 from memory.

Then, of course, came the Perth sweeping....

Reply #671384 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

and for all the Markel Starks fans out there, i think he still holds the highest points total (per 40mins) for the franchise.

#MarkelDeservesLove

Reply #671386 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

market starks was crap but not dimitri mccamey level crap.

Reply #671399 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha poor ole Dimitri. I think he's plying his trade in Italy these days.

Reply #671410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They all nominate for the draft, but I'd don't think Naar is at that level though stranger things have happened.

Reply #671411 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Starks had massive trouble remembering plays. Apart from that he was pretty decent

Reply #671412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone declares and Naar is more chance of playing SEABL than NBA

Reply #671416 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Haha no, not everyone declares, though it feels like it some years...

I haven't follow the Gaels this season, but he was on a number of draft prospect lists at the end of last season.

He probably won’t end up in the NBA, but he’ll play at a higher level than SEABL - unless he’s gone backwards at a rate of knotts.

Reply #671419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754