thatguyontheend
Years ago

Big V 2018 Fixture Release

Fixture released Friday afternoon it seemed with little fan fare. With some teams coming back and it seems some teams missing.

What Division and match-ups are you looking forward to in the early exchanges?

Topic #42705 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how both Frankston Youth League teams go, they have a
Very subpar SEABL program so it'll be interesting to see if they promote from within

Reply #672567 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

COllingwood looking the goods- A good coach would take them to state champ! Shame they've got an incompetent junior coach in charge.

Reply #672573 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Craig, do you know the Collingwood team?

Reply #672579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between the good and the bad in SCW will be extreme.

Reply #672588 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

@Dane My son plays at the club. They have a great import talent in Manny- The coaches saving grace.

Reply #672607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collingwood are a lock to finish last this season. Their team is nowhere near good enough to compete at a level higher and hendrix will probably move to another div 2 team mid season when he isn't performing well.

Reply #672617 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

@Craig, ok so you're involved at the club, do you know who is in the squad? Is the import the only part of the team capable of Div 1?

Reply #672619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Manny Hendrix is a Div 1 level import seriously has NFI...

Reply #672624 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Collingwood still playing games out of the College?? Or splitting them at Darebin LC; I remember when the BIG V/ VBL were strict on venues.

Did they keep the same roster on promotion?

SCW has always been a league of the haves and have nots for a long time, teams come up and teams move on. What happened to Keysborough Women?

Reply #672627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does a club like Keysborough have a senior team in the first instance?

Going by the VJBL website, they only have 1 girls VJBL team and no YLW.

Effectively, for them to survive they would need to weaken another local club by poaching.

Reply #672648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigV is well and truly a State league, not Melbourne centrist any longer at all. The amount of travel teams have to do now days is amazing, people are really dedicated playing basketball at this level!

Reply #672668 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Allstars to play out of Darebin while they're stadium is built.

Didn'nt @manny hendrix average 30 in Div 1 3 years or so ago?

They have talent at all positions except in the coaching seats.

Reply #672674 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

I have questioned if YL have diluted some of the leagues talent as well as more teams, is it stronger or weaker with in the inclusion of more 'regional' or outer suburban teams?

That criteria for having a team seems weak if you don't need a junior program to have a senior program.

Reply #672675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manny put up numbers, his teams , also played in losing teams.

Reply #672683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manny destroyed D1 last time he played a couple of years ago. Will probably be similiar this time. I'd expect Collingwood to be in the mix for finals at the minimum. Could be up there with the likes of Chelsea and Geelong

Also, correct me if i am wrong but the Collingwood coach won the coach of the year awards last season so i'm guessing people in the league (who are coaches voting) would know what they are talking about.

Reply #672691 | Report this post

TT  
Years ago

1.Chelsea - Have improved there team from last seasons runners up, may not lose a game

2.LaTrobe City – Very strong aussie base and always seems to con the Big V into letting them have a second import

3.Collingwood – Strong team built around Manny who is an ex D1M MVP

4.Shepparton – Bartlett (possibly will be the best aussie player in the comp) everyone else returning from last year

5.Geelong – Made finals last year as underachievers, some guys dropping down from SEABL

6.Westernport – Very good import and have been completely re-built

7.Warnambool – Same as last year, only drop down the ratings as they a year older

8.Whittlesea – Mostly the same as the team that was barely competitive in SCM, could be higher

9.Melbourne Uni – may have lost Liam Norton?? Always solid

10.Sunbury – Not good enough to compete

11.Warrandyte – As Above

12.Keysborough – As above

13.Bulleen – Barely scraping together a team. Will be mostly YL players

IMO, The top 2 will almost certainly play for the championship, bottom 4 could go in any order but will be the bottom 4, everyone else in the middle in a battle for the rest of the finals spots.

Reply #672694 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

@annoymous What insights would other coaches in the league have?

It's purely based on record- if you attend their games he stands there like a stunned mullet lets teams go on runs and waits for an assistant coach or a player to call a time out.

Let's hope he has solid assistants around him this year.

Reply #672695 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Hey Craig, do you know the Collingwood roster? Sounds like you have some involvement at the club and you've been around ball a long time. Perhaps you could help the club to succeed at Div 1 level?

Reply #672699 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Know the roster well- I don't think I'd be the right person to take the reins, considering the clubs location and great community focus I believe they could easily find an accomplished coach willing to assist at a senior or assistant level.

As clubs grow sometimes things need to change from the top.

Reply #672706 | Report this post

The bear  
Years ago

I notice BIG V still have not announced a new general manager.

It can't be that hard

Reply #672740 | Report this post

cleve  
Years ago

Reply #672755 | Report this post

cleve  
Years ago

They probably want to get it right though

Reply #672756 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

They're running with no CEO for now, looks like Basketball Vic are just pocketing the extra money.

Reply #672760 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

TT

Surely thats based on your opinion about where you see these teams. You have given an overview with no names besides Bartlett and Manny.

Reply #672764 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

"Collingwood still playing games out of the College?? Or splitting them at Darebin LC; I remember when the BIG V/ VBL were strict on venues. "

I can't believe that anyone, let alone a Big V club, would play out of that shithole.

Reply #672767 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

"Collingwood still playing games out of the College?? Or splitting them at Darebin LC; I remember when the BIG V/ VBL were strict on venues. "

I can't believe that anyone, let alone a Big V club, would play out of that shithole.

I think BigV is strict on venues when it comes to SCM & SCW but it pretty much falls away after that. Some stadiums are good but others are far behind times for sure.

Reply #672768 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

"I think BigV is strict on venues when it comes to SCM & SCW but it pretty much falls away after that. Some stadiums are good but others are far behind times for sure."

I remember when I worked for a club as a administrator we were Div 2 and they were strict on player changerooms and venue being appropriate in the VBL days

Expansion brings issues I guess.

Back to Divisions .... SCM/SCW who do we have in the top 4? What about Division 2 Men who are the movers and shakers, Coburg Giants I heard have injuries but recruited smartly, talk that Mornington are on the slide in other forums on here, Wallan women strong again if not another year older.

Reply #672769 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Darebin is barely good enough for domestic games.

Its why even a small association like Whittlesea domestic only mainly play B grade & below games there.

IMHO .. its the worst stadium I've been to in Victoria.

Reply #672770 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, so I am confused by what this actually means TT?

5.Geelong - Made finals last year as underachievers, some guys dropping down from SEABL.

Reply #672774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collingwood will be ok. Give them a chance.

If you dont know the coach keepyour opinion to yourself. If you knew him you wouldnt be posting things that are on here.

Reply #672795 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

People are saying Collingwood will make finals with the same roster as last year?

Crazy

Reply #672825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay have signed John Jones. Import at Mt Gambier Seabl last season

Reply #672831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Corio Bay regrouped under Hutchy.
Jones(import)
Rebula, McFall,
Renteria (Hume)
Bentley Waisak and Bow(Geelong)

and juniors that are valued by the club,oh and Hutchy.

Reply #672851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how TT can rate Latrobe City so highly. Yes they ha 2 imports but both are untried in the League. Wouldn't guarantee the local talent is that strong as last years wasn’t great and not sure of many changes there.

Reply #672893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Jones bad in SEABL?

Reply #672902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do LTC get 2 imports?

If they need 2 imports to be competitive then they should be playing D2M

Reply #672905 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I thought at the AGM they were really trying to crack down on teams being allowed 2 imports in D1M/W. It seems this rule doesn't apply with Shepparton or Latrobe City. Understandable if the team is youthful but this hasn't been the case.

Reply #672910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country teams lose many of their best junior talent to Melbourne based clubs because of University studies etc and find it hard to replace them adequately so I have no problem with them having 2 imports as it keeps the competition healthy and helps grow and foster the game in those areas.

These country teams also have a minimal budget so if they do get 1 or 2 guys they usually only spend the same amount of money across both players.

If Country associations had neighboring associations to draw from like the Melbourne based clubs can it would make it much easier but they are usually a couple hours away from anyone.

Reply #672915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats irrelevant. Melbourne teams have more competition to sign players. This makes it hard for some teams.

For instance, If a player lives in Shep where else could they play?

Reply #672932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone would have an issue with them having two imports if that was the rule. Issue for me is that the league brings in a rule yet refuses to enforce it.

Reply #672934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the actual rule? Do the big V even know?

Reply #672950 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I think the rule is teams are allowed one import but country associations can apply to have 2 depending on their circumstances.

Reply #672952 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

My question would be if country teams may be allowed a 2nd import, why do the league make it harder to get approval than other country teams?

Reply #672953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are these 'circumstances'?

Reply #672963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Country associations had neighboring associations to draw from like the Melbourne based clubs can it would make it much easier but they are usually a couple hours away from anyone.

erm..LTC are supposed to be an association thats made from all clubs in the Valley and Warragul,though its basically a Traralgon team,if they utilised what they have within he area they shouldnt need ímports

Reply #672988 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Judging on last years teams out of the country sides Warrnambool probably has the most locals on their team with only 1 import. Shepparton and Latrobe City had two imports with a mix of locals and and non-locals. Either way still hard for these teams to retain players so I don't mind them having two imports but only D1M & SCM/Women

Reply #672999 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@anonymous^ I think you will see Geelong's D1 men running a very youthful team of almost all local this season. One or two from out of town, not studying in Geelong so convenient for them, but no imports again for the Supercats.

Reply #673483 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...now studying in Geelong....

Reply #673484 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Geelong usually always run with locals on their teams but I wouldn't consider them a country team as Geelong has a population of 250,000 plus people in it not to mention pretty close to surrounding area (Werribee)....Compared to teams like Shepparton(50,000+), Warrnambool(34,000+) and Latrobe City(70,000+)

Reply #673489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrnambool had 1 import plus a naturalised import (Gainey), the season prior they had both of these guys plus Nathan Sobey so definitely have had some good talent around their locals over the past few seasons.

A few Melbourne based clubs have naturalised imports or players from countries like NZ to boost their talent levels.

Reply #673490 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^

That is very true. But it just shows what clubs are doing the right things by their players as far as re-signing imports until they are naturalised and local guys that move up levels still come back to play for their club. Thats how it should be instead of different players every year chasing a championship.

Reply #673495 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

What imports are naturalised for this year???
Gainey
Chuck Long
Vashon Weaver
Jermaine Maybank
Ivan Harris?
Manny Hendrix?

Any others?

Reply #673497 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

anon#489 you are correct, Geelong's surrounding area has a bigger population than those smaller towns, Bendigo however also has a broad market and a better venue and Geelong was always considered too far away fro Melbourne teams in the past, luckily these days common sense has ruled.

You may not be aware however that the local Geelong and surrounding area has four Associations, Geelong and Corio Bay in the centre, Bellarine and Surf Coast within 20 minutes and growing fast. So, although it is a growth corridor and a small city, it is nothing like Melbourne and should still be considered country in the scheme of things.

Also, Werribee is a suburb of Melbourne, forget Werribbe in the same conversation as Geelong, it is not significantly relevant.

Reply #673506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^but Geelong STILL has more population than all the other country areas combined.

Reply #673512 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think I agreed with the fact that Geelong is a growth area and has lots of people, but it isn't Melbourne, it is country. Call it big country if you want, but it isn't metro...

Reply #673513 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I may be wrong Collingwood hasn't won a practice game- Coach losing players! Watch this space.

Reply #676218 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems like you have an agenda Craig.

Reply #676245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which players have left ?

Reply #676254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None

Reply #676263 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Subtraction by addition Maybe?

Reply #676266 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

No players have left, what I meant was he's losing existing players trust.

When players stop playing for the coach it ends badly.

No agenda, I still think the team has enough talent to compete.

Reply #676279 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Craig, I see you've bagged the Collingwood coach a number of times, sure looks like an agenda.

Reply #676282 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

You win Anon- I'm sorry to the coach if he's trying his best then what is it to me.

Last you will hear from me!

Reply #676283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I reckon they are a good chance in their first few game Melb Uni, Sunbury and Keysborough. Will win at least two from three.

Looking forward to the previous poster stopping with his post bagging the coach.

Reply #676374 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Have I ever said the teams not good?

Without Manny Hendrix leadership they would be rabble.

Reply #676376 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Last you'll hear from me “.
Couldn’t help yourself hey Craig.

Reply #676398 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Sorry Anon you're right.

Take three!

Reply #676427 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Craig, Collingwood All-Stars came to Geelong for a prac game, only lost on the buzzer and have some decent players, imports, they will not be pushovers in D1M I wouldn't think...

Reply #676539 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

@bear agree they have a great core

Reply #676574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many imports do Collingwood have ?

Reply #676596 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Metro teams only allowed one import in Division 1, country teams allowed to apply for a second.

Reply #676615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not correct, Metro teams can apply for a 2nd as well but does depend on historical performances and current roster status.

Reply #676648 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Who knows what the rules are these days...BigV have their own agenda on what teams they grant 2 imports to and who they give a hard time.

Reply #676670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But at least Bigv TV is coming back!!!!!

Reply #676672 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ So they can just talk about McKinnon, Warrandyte, Chelsea and Waverly....Can't wait lol

Reply #676673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collingwood looked pretty good against Melb Uni

Reply #678783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Liam Norton for Melbourne Uni is a huge loss, hearing he may not be back at all.

Reply #678801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754