Matt
Years ago

NBL salaries, bench players/role players...

I know the NBL don't publish it's salaries(shame I know, the world knows Lebron's salary but not Tom Garlepp's lol, as the NBL don't pint salaries to the public unlike the NBA as the NBA knows it generates interest and tabloid interest which equals more interest in the NBA and attention as many sports fans are nosey which the NBA take advantage of to generate interest)...
So yeah, how much would a role player like Tom Garlepp types be on the NBL per season?

How would would an assistant coach like Lanard Copeland or CJ Bruton get?

Topic #42843 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much do you get?

Reply #676246 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

stop being silly anonymous, get over it . many fans are nosey and want to pry on sport stars salaries hence why the NBA publishes them as promotes internist in the NBA and many fans are nosey and like tabloid trash or want to know how much sports stars get. And kids get inspired to pick up a basketball as there meal ticket out of poverty if they know big bucks when they grown up.
Society is a nosey culture with lots of nosey types and nosey hoop fans you have to get over it, and the NBA has gladly accommodated the nosey fans unlike the NBL..

Reply #676248 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They wouldn't do it. Everyone would be able to see how much more the Melbourne guys were on with no salary cap (and no fund redistribution as originally stated).

Reply #676253 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Some bench guys are on no more than an experienced administration manager at 60-70k per year, while not the big time if you use this as your starting point it will help get an idea of the big boys - that said a lot of imports are on a LOT less than Australian players as some of them need to make money not lose money if they don't have a big deal somewhere else .... I will have a punt that Anderson is on MUCH more than Boone for example and that Casper isn't paid as much as you think

Reply #676273 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

bench guys on 60-70? um, no. Less, much less for majority.

10th, 11th man - $40K
8th - 9th man - $45 - $55
6th and 7th man - you may get between $60 - $90K
starting 5, all over the shop dependent on who you are.

Reply #676281 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Is the 5 players under $400K rule still in effect?

Reply #676287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum salary is $45,000.

Reply #676289 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Pretty much no hard cap anymore.

Go over the limit, pay luxury tax.

Reply #676305 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Pay a tax that may or may not actually exist

Reply #676314 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$45-400k. Not required for a full year, depending on the coach/team.

For Garlepp, when did he sign his contract? Could be $80-100k if he was rising at the time. His future scope in basketball would be sub-$30k you'd guess - NZ NBL, SEABL, etc.

Reply #676323 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Pay luxury tax? Ha ha ha ha ha!

Reply #676335 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Could be out of date a bit but I know development players once got $400/game on the bench.

Reply #676340 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Anon - was more thinking guys in the 6-8th player range as a bit of starting point BUT spot on $45k - 55k

Reply #676341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larkins PAYS the 36ers to play for them. Well, he should.

Reply #676344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players 9,10 & 11 in most team will be on 45k including super. Living below the poverty line

Reply #676354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah money for the last couple of players on a list is pretty bad. My mum got told years ago from a former players parent that "he'd be earning a lot more money if he was working at Macca's instead of playing in the NBL"

Reply #676357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? You can't expect more if the league isn't generating revenue. If you don't like it don't play NBL.

Reply #676370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus it's a six month gig. $45K for six months is $90K per year extrapolated.

Reply #676371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately it isn't a 6 month gig. Players end up taking it over 12 months just to make sure they have money coming in. The leagues going to pay more Americans 18 years old 100k, it stinks

Reply #676375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find most contracts include October thru end of March, in case the team makes finals.

I would guess most teams come together one or two months before the season. The majority of the team that is, maybe not the imports.

So I think their contract is more like 7 months min and possibly 8 months. Just my opinion.

Reply #676404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, what about the development players chasing their dream?

I have it on very good authority, my son played with one of them, that in his last year he was offered $5k for the season.

Regularly had to attend multiple of training sessions per day which made it very hard to even get a part time job to supplement his income.

How do these "kids" survive? On the good grace of their parents.

Reply #676406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't take that as being all clubs pay that for DP spots.

Reply #676407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? A DP gets peanuts because the harsh economic reality of the NBL and its clubs is that it doesn't generate enough revenue to pay more. What do you want them to do - pay more and then go bust? If it's not enough money then don't play NBL. Simple.

Reply #676409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Players 9,10 & 11 in most team will be on 45k including super. Living below the poverty line"
How does that even make sense? Living below the poverty line. You do know that most contracts in the NBL aren't for a full year right? So many numpties with such expert opions that really have never understood how the game works.
$45K with sick leave, holidays and super is a bad deal for a year even? Utter bollocks.

Reply #676435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They start training in July and finish in late February/early March. That's 8 months to start with. you Have no idea what your tailing about.

Reply #676448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of you really have much idea other than speculation. Unless you have cold hard facts, stop spitting out numbers. Each team structures their pay scales differently as you would imagine with small market vs large market teams. Most of the players that are "living below the poverty line" also get paid in the offseason through other league and camps etc. A player can also structure their pay in many different ways.

Reply #676481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing's changed from my earlier comment, you don’t know what your talking about. These guys struggle financially period, even with an extra couple thousand during the off season. You can structure your 45k around how ever you like but it’s still 45k. Now to bring the possibility of a fourth American per team straight out of high school and pay them 100k, it still stinks. This league will become another D-league for the NBA.

Reply #676490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? No one is entitled to $X if a business isn't turning enough. That is what the NBL is - a struggling business. You can't feel entitled to more $ as a lower tier player in the NBL just because you want to play professionally. The world doesn't work like that.

Reply #676529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

turning over enough*

Reply #676530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think of a DP like an apprenticeship. How much does a first year apprentice earn? Check on that, and then complain about the NBL structure.

Reply #676533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Regularly had to attend multiple of training sessions per day which made it very hard to even get a part time job to supplement his income.

How do these "kids" survive? On the good grace of their parents.
He was getting paid to learn alongside the elite players in his chosen field. If he was at TAFE or uni, he'd be paying, not earning $5k, right? Students are often living with their parents too. There are obviously trade-offs (fewer jobs, career done by 40, etc), but if it's not deemed worth it, anyone is free to take on a different career.*

I don't know if it's really the club's responsibility to pay to train players, the majority of which don't go on to full playing positions. If they're a stronger prospect, I'm sure they'd be paid more.

*I suspect that being good enough to be training bait but not good enough to get a 5+ year career at NBL level or better could ultimately be quite damaging to the lifetime careers of many athletes.

Reply #676536 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The affordability argument is not valid. Just look at players' salaries overall.

So three years ago the salary bill for the NBL's players was ~$8 million, with the minimum salary ~$40,000. Now the salary bill is well north of $10 million, with the league proposing to increase it by at least $800,000 with 8 'one-and-done' players next year.

So if the league can afford something above a 40% hike in players' salaries in 3 years, why couldn't it afford more than a 12%-15% hike in minimum wage? Because it doesn't need to and it doesn't want to.

The league's owner has invested the additional salaries to get big name players into the league. He expects that to pay off in increased revenue from paying customers and sponsors. Increasing the minimum wage is not necessary for that investment strategy.

I suspect the NBL Players' Association hasn't done made an issue of this because the investment strategy is yet to pay off. i.e., the league's long term viability is still questionable. They wouldn't want to threaten their members' livelihoods by pissing off the person who's currently propping it up.

This is the reality of the entertainment business. The big names get the big bucks, because that's what gets the customers in. The people at the bottom get SFA because they've got nothing to bargain with but their willingness to do whatever they have to, to break into the business.

Reply #676540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listen anon 676490, just because you have a friend of a friend tell you one thing, doesn't mean the same for all. Some get more some get less, and it’s dependent on their market value. From first hand experience, DP’s playing SEABL/other get more than 'a couple of thousand and if they don’t, they need to hire a new agent. I still maintain you have no real idea.

Reply #676549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the reply Isaac. Don't want to have an argument about it. I was just sharing what I knew about one player & I am sure some DP's are paid more. However, this kid was going into his 3rd year as a DP.
I'm not saying it is right or wrong. I'm just sharing what I know.

IMO they are just being used as training players and are probably never going to progress or play in the NBL. Yet they can't see that. They have delusions of grandeur.

As for the apprentice scenario or TAFE/Uni argument.

1. They are not in TAFE or Uni. They are an employee. Yes, this is their choice.

2. As for the apprentice scenario - I just checked a 1st year bricklaying apprentice is listed as between $500 to $800/week, depending on the industry. Approximately $12k to $18k for 6 months & that didn't include any of the perks (Travel, Site allowance, etc)

Reply #676595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Development players aren't training players. As each NBL club has training players below the development players and the training players are the ones who get paid nothing but expected to be there as bodies for the first teamers to bang against at every training session.

So before you cry about the woes of development players spare a thought for the training players who are a wrung below that.

Reply #676601 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:24 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754