Anonymous
Years ago

NBL away teams mental weakness

So far the Grand Final series has been boring, consisting of two blowouts. Very dissapointed. Note I am a neutral.

I believe this is due to the mental weakness of NBL players when playing away from home. They are professional athletes yet rarely perform on the road. It is really frustrating. Although we go on about the refs a lot I think this is the main factor with a more minor one the refs also being homers too much.

Thoughts?

All I want is to watch some tight games.

Topic #42922 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This post is boring

Reply #678896 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Adelaide came back from 18 points down to beat the Wildcats by a point in Perth 2 weeks ago.

And done.

Reply #678898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1 was hardly a blowout. It was close all game until the mid 4th.

Reply #678899 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers were leading in G1 before it slipped. It was still a 7 point game with 32 seconds left. As you commented in that game thread:

"All of a sudden 7pt game, miracle comeback time LET'S GO."

The second game of each SF series was decided by a single basket, and won by the road team in each case.

Reply #678904 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Game one was pretty close when you consider Adelaide was 7 down within the last 90 seconds. A couple of loose balls their way and it would have gone to the wire.

Reply #678905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost me at 'boring so far'.

Reply #678911 | Report this post

Hasn't Adelaide won at every venue except Melbourne this season?

Hang on, why am I even spending time replying to this?

Reply #678920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You lost me at 'boring so far'."

It may be exciting if your a Sixers fan. Remember I said I'm a neutral. But I turned off the TV during Game 2 and I am hardcore NBL.

and yes isaac, I was desperately trying to see something happen when it went down to 7pts in Game 1, which didn't happen. Game 2 was far worse.

Reply #678929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boring was watching Perth and/ or New Zealand playing 8 years in a row. Unless you are a Perth or New Zealand fan

Reply #678957 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

don't believe it's mental weakness at all. take a bunch of 6'7" guys, stick them in a plane, fly them across the country between timezones with very little time to adjust between games and see how well they do.

to some extent I think this is why certain teams (Perth, NZ and Cairns) tend to build a good rep as being difficult places to play as these are the most difficult places to get to.

Reply #678972 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I get what you're saying as you listen to old cricketers say when they went to England for an Ashes series they took a siege mentality with them.

Whether they aren't saying it in public or perhaps showing it on floor as much as I'd like (Shannon Shorter flexing isn't my idea of siege mentality) I just don't think we have really seen that kind of dominance from an away team ala Wildcats in a Cairns semi final series last season.

I wouldn't call the grand final series boring but it's certainly had an inevitable vibe about it

Reply #678976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"fly them across the country between timezones with very little time to adjust between games and see how well they do."

But this is Adelaide and Melbourne. Close.

Reply #678999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just don't think we have really seen that kind of dominance from an away team ala Wildcats in a Cairns semi final series last season."

"I wouldn't call the grand final series boring but it's certainly had an inevitable vibe about it"

Finally someone gets my point. You nailed it!

Reply #679019 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The duration of the flight between Adelaide and Melbourne is not the issue, it is passing through the time vortex which visitors experience when leaving Adelaide airport

Reply #679020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic and Sobey know refs are looking to call anything (whether it's because they are too soft to call fouls on the home team/rigging it for LK's Melbourne) yet still make bonehead situations up to make it easy for the refs to ping them. How amateurish.

Reply #679955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On second thought the title should read "NBL referees mentally weak by capitulating to home crowds"

Reply #680282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754