Isaac
Years ago

Oscar Forman announces NBL retirement

After 17 seasons and 511 games, my brother Oscar has announced his retirement from NBL basketball. It was his stint with the 36ers that effectively pushed me to start Hoops.com.au after my involvement with the 36ers' site many years ago.

Here's his letter, shared with the Illawarra Mercury:

"As a young kid shooting hoops in my driveway at home, I never imagined it would lead to a 17 season professional career in the NBL. I played because it was fun and exciting, and that held true for my entire career.

“The memories and friendships made along the way are what I am most thankful for; most importantly, my family who provided me with constant support, love and advice. Teammates, coaches, opponents, staff, owners, sponsors, fans and volunteers all helped shape my career during and long before I ever played in the NBL.

The NBL has given me such an enjoyable profession for so long. I'm impressed with its direction and excited to see the next generation of kids shooting on driveway hoops fulfil their dreams in a burgeoning league.

Thank you to the Illawarra community for the love and support over the last eight years, and for accepting me and my family as one of your own."
Accompanying Illawarra Mercury story

He started out on a homemade hoop in our driveway where shots had to arc over the powerline running to the shed. Then progressed to the school courts where we battled one-on-one until I had to play dirty to get close to winning. He rose up through the Sturt ranks, received an AIS scholarship, then declined a college offer from LMU, favouring a solid deal with the 36ers. From there, it was the Breakers and Hawks which made for great excuses to visit NZ and Wollongong, both places that he really enjoyed being part of.

Now he gets to discover the joy that is sitting at a desk for a living...

Topic #42925 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent career got the most out of ability, probably making the right decision to get out now. Good luck to him in the next phase of life.

Reply #679002 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great to watch him play. Solid career at all his clubs .
A shame he only got the one championship in his NBL career.

Reply #679003 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Congratulations to Oscar on a stella career. Not too many have got to 500+ and I think he is still right up there on the 3P% all time list too.

All the best with the next stage of life post basketball.

Reply #679005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBL retirement"

State league still?

Reply #679017 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He has been a great player,team player,friend to the other players and a real gentlemen.
Congrats on a stellar career.
All the very best for the future to you and your family.

Reply #679018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac. Is he your younger or older brother.

I watched him at the breakers and the hawks became my second team because of him. A good bloke.

Reply #679024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's five years younger. I retired from the NBL earlier than him, after zero seasons and zero games.

Reply #679025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos a good replacement player

Reply #679026 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Great career, but even greater person. Always had time to chat to others and a genuine person. As a stretch four I thought he has aged very well which speaks to his professionalism in looking after his body. While speaking to juniors I often used him as the example of someone playing to his strengths and carving out a long career out of it. Some of those players are now in the league themselves.

Congratulations Oscar. His biggest legacy may be getting his brother to create this great forum.

Reply #679029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well deserved. Great team player and person. Enjoy retirement. Let's hope he stays involved with the Club.

Reply #679032 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The amount of times I've closed my eyes in disbelief over the years when the Kings have given Oscar a wide open three...

Great career and solid contributor throughout.

Reply #679039 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I've just realised that I can not remember ever having a seen Oscar give up, be a petulant B*tch or show signs of a bad attitude, or even give a team mate , official or opponent a mouthful ( maybe he did it quietly with a whisper in an ear ???!! )) ........ now that really really surprises me given the length of his career, I sure wish some others that are playing today had that level of class.
Have a good life after Pro Ball Oscar, you have been a true ornament to the sport.

Reply #679042 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Congratulations on a great career and class act who got the most out of his abilities.

Reply #679050 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

A great career Oscar. Enjoyed watching you play, enjoyed a few nights out after games but i mostly enjoyed watching the way you went about playing the game from a youngster to your veteran years. I doubt any of your opponents would have ever had a bad word to say about you.

Enjoy the next chapter!

Reply #679052 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Well done Foreman boys....

Reply #679055 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Congrats to the big fella. Still remember Scott Butler coming to training to teach us sturt juniors to shoot free throws like Oscar.

Reply #679057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great career, and agree a great "Sportsman" with nil blemishes off court or on. Pleasure to watch his career.

Reply #679137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very Old, I imagine he made occasional comments to refs after disagreeing with a foul call but amongst friends we joke that his version of trash talking would be asking the opponent about how his day was going. Greg Hire tweeted earlier about their mid-game chats.

Reminds me of Steven Adams lining up against someone in the NBA during free throws and saying "Hey mate, how's it going?"

Reply #679146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could he return to Sturt?

Reply #679365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBL retirement" seems to indicate something like that may be in the pipeline?

Reply #679381 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Congrats Oscar, great career and definitely agree with the sentiments about his legacy of getting big bro to start this forum.

If we are lucky Oscar can use this newly acquired free time to post on here

Reply #679470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:51 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754