For me the 80's, rough and brutal and skillfull

Topic #42990 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The LK era.

Reply #681142 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think pre-AFL was probably the best time (the last Golden Era) for Australian Football. The focus was more at a state level and State of Origin meant something. There were some characters in the game then. Look at guys like Jacko in the AFL, and in the SANFL there were guys like Rick Davies, Rocky Roberts, Grenville Deitrich, etc etc I reckon there was one game when Deitrich ate a fan's pie and in another game a fan game him a beer.

The game was a little slower and muddier then, plus there was always a bit of biffo to keep the fans happy.

The VFL always had a bit more money, so the better guys would always be poached to go over there.

A bit too clinical these days and too much money in it. A friend's brother played a season of reserves for one club and basically got paid $150K, without playing a senior game. I think the average salary is close to over over $200K/season.

From a technical perspective the game is neater and tidier now with the players being more professional, but the game has changed to make it more appealing to women to attract sponsorship and is definitely not a rough and tumble as it was 30 - 40 years ago.

I for one don't like the Victorian bias with the (V)aFL. For example, if you look at the draw, there is a bias for non-Victorian teams to play each other. I don't find the umpiring particularly good either. For example, there is never 3 ball ups in a row. They will have two ball ups, but if the ball is held up a third time, there is always a free kick for the defensive team for "over the shoulder" or something weak like that to keep the game moving and flowing. (just watch this weekend Poindexters and you'll see what I mean)

Reply #681152 | Report this post

Years ago

best quality of skills, player and game is now. Toughest biff was earlier years - if you think the 80s was strong - you tube some 1970s games - Richmond v Carlton finals. Different audience now TV / media huge stakeholders not your local suburban game. Been to local grounds in 1970s and 80s - far better experience now but different flavour. Remember even in the 1970s some blokes were working then training after work.

Reply #681169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1910s was a good era.

Reply #681175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2008-2015....

Reply #681176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Today for sure. The worst team today would still comfortably beat an 80s VFL premier.

Reply #681199 | Report this post

Years ago

if you watch 1970s teams were lucky to put 3 consecutive passes together during run on play with out it either going to ground, being challenged or the defenders getting a touch. Nowadays a team will competently move a ball from one end to the other cleanly. Also the big hits were not as scrutinized before TV got better - so the hits are different.

Reply #681236 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's no doubt the skill level has increased with the professionalism in the sport

Reply #681242 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

the average skill level may have but ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vSiQxNe9qc

Reply #681251 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Very Old, great video. It's good to see they play on green grass now and have done away with the grey uniforms

Reply #681258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre 90s it was amateur with a bit of money floated around but most having day jobs. Then showing up to a couple of trainings, then to the sportsbar after for a dozen pints and a pack of ciggies then driving home. Then after games on Saturday down to the local nightclub, free booze and sleep it off sunday. Recovery session consisted of a couple of bacon and egg sangas.
Nowadays every inch of the athletes body is measured and probed, have full time baby sitters. Definitely have better athletes but do we have better players.
Bit too antiseptic for me these days.

Reply #681375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word you're looking for is sanitised.

Reply #681420 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thank you Cleaver Greene

Reply #681428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When talking about best era it doesn't have to be the best standard of play. The NBL teams of today are head and shoulders above the semi-pro teams of the 80s, but plenty would still list the 80s as their favourite era and fair enough.

As for footy, the personalities of the 70s and 80s were something else, the footy of much of the 90s was good for its attacking mentality, while the mix of intensity and skill in today's game is unmatched.

Reply #681443 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I don't watch AFL anymore. Can't put my finger on why but I get bored with it. I did enjoy the game in the 80's and 90's.

Reply #681452 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754