Anonymous
Years ago

Jack McVeigh turns pro leaves Nebraska

"McVeigh has decided to pursue a professional career back in Australia, Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald reports. McVeigh's role with the Huskers decreased as his junior season wore on, averaging just 7.5 minutes per game and rarely seeing the floor toward the end of the season."

Topic #42995 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seabl quality if lucky, some off these college players got get there heads out the clouds.

Reply #681271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns or Brisbane...

Reply #681274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If not enjoying experience, why not. May well just be seabl quality and knows it but wants to come home. Not all these kids think they're gonna make major splash as Pro's.

Reply #681300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha, you idiots saying SEABL quality if lucky know nothing about Jack. But you will soon see. Anon 271, please do your research before you speak in future, I lost brain cells reading your comment.

This kid will be a multi year NBL signing.

Reply #681304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People said the same thing about Sobey (Lucky to be SEABL quality). Out of interest, who was the best SEABL player to transition to the NBL over the last few years? And no, not NBL players that played SEABL in an offseason. I'll wait.......

Reply #681305 | Report this post

Sammy G  
Years ago

I'm not sure who is the best as I don't know the full list to come through seabl

However Sobey had to come back through Ballarat in the seabl but obviously won a National championship in Juco and then went to Wyoming after that. I'm sure there may have been conversations with NBL clubs before that however he was fairly Unkown

Shaun Bruce knocked back a handful of scholarships to NCAA div2 schools and chose the Seabl path. He ended up with his opportunity at cairns after a few very solid Seabl seasons at Ballarat

Reply #681309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sammy G, Sobey had his DO agreement with Cairns before he played SEABL on the return from wyoming. Shaun Bruce also had agreements in place. You may add Bruce on a technicality, but certainly not a demonstration of SEABL success.

Reply #681311 | Report this post

Sammy G  
Years ago

Regarding Bruce - he was never in the AIS, nor was an absolute standout at national champs albeit very solid and above average, he also went from Horsham BigV/ state u20s, to a season in the SEABL D-League with Ballarat, (which is why I find it hard to believe he had agreements in place with cairns) before playing another three seasons with Ballarat in SEABL under/with Guy Malloy overseeing the program - who is very close with Fearney at Cairns Taipans and I'm sure played a huge part in that NBL connection

Don't forget Shaun Bruce and Josh Wilscher battled out for a Development Spot at Melbourne Tigers in either 2010 or 2011, with Josh winning the development spot over Shaun

As a result I would argue that Shaun is a seabl product ??

However you may have more clarity on this "cairns agreement" - or was it after he missed the tigers DP spot

Reply #681316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the issue at hand is people calling a player 'barely' SEABL level, when they haven't checked up on the kids history or know anything about his game. McVeigh is a stud and will be a future Boomer. Yes, people laughed at me when I said Sobey woould be a Boomer also back in 2015.

Reply #681320 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"will be a future Boomer." lets not be stupid now i rate him as a player but a future boomer no way

Reply #681321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh will have a very good NBL career

Reply #681322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's add some numbers to the discussion...in his last SEABL season before he went to college (2015) Jack McVeigh was 12.4ppg, 4.8rpg, 3.0apg in 26 minutes a game for the COE.

A quick glimpse through his stats shows that his ability to get to the FT line was elite and he was second in the league for FTM per game (5.0) despite ranking only 67th for minutes per game. Only three players have played minimum of 5 games and exceeded 5 FTM per game in the past three SEABL seasons - they played 34.7, 33.8 and 32.6 minutes per game. All were imports.

That's a stat that is achieved a lot more in some other leagues, so make sure to compare apples to apples. The leagues can be quite different. Of the players that played at least 5 games in 2017, QBL had 10 players exceed 5 FTM per game, SA Premier had seven players, WA SBL had seven, BigV SCM had one and Waratah had none. Most of these are current NBL players (e.g. Drmic, Deng, Jervis) or imports.

Alex Francis (Frankston) was a bull at the rim in SEABL last year and made 4.9 FTs per game (shot under 54%). However, his FTArate (72.1 FTAs per 100 FGA) was still below McVeigh's 2015 season (81.7).

For more comparison, on his 2015 team were:
Jack White - 11.0ppg, 8.2rpg, 1.3apg (25.4 mins)
Dejan Vasiljevic - 17.0ppg, 4.5rpg, 1.3apg (27 mins)

DJ had a usage rate of 30.8%, White was at 23.1% and McVeigh 21.3% (20% means you ended 1/5th of all the possessions while on the court, 30% is very high - only Bendigo's Tony Lewis was higher than DJ at 30.9%).

p.s. I love basketball stats and could go on and on and on...

Reply #681328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno, you have just proven my point by saying "no way" about making Boomers in the future. Well, technically Jack has already played for the Boomers in the Sino China Challenge before he went to Nebraska.

The good news is, you will get to see his progression very soon.

Reply #681331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-5011-0-0-0&sID=78732&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29901314

Reply #681333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh has already been invited to Boomers camps in the past.
My opinion is that he will spend a couple of years in the QBL (not SEABL) and role at the Bullets will see him in Australian colours.

If you want an example look at McCarron, 1 year at the AIS then passed on scholarship. Div 2 college etc etc

Reply #681335 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can't blame him. In my opinion, the Nebraska program is a joke and has been for some years now.

Coach Miles should have got the sack a long time ago.

Google Nebraska basketball and it will probably come up with.."did you mean 'how to ruin Tai Webster's NBA chances'.

Reply #681338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754