D2
Years ago

Is this the end for Greg Hire?

By my count the Cats have one more local spot to fill...

and I'm really hoping its another guard.

Yes, it's true we won a championship with only 3 guards and Hire backing up the 2. But the league has moved on since then, and Martin will be 3 years older.

Hire's defensive effort can't be questioned, but offensively he's gone backwards.

I'm a little nervous that the backup SG will be Steindl, leaving the door open to keep Hire. Fine if he could recapture his shooting ability, but otherwise time to move on.

Topic #43189 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully gone. He isn't worthy of his own thread.

Reply #685847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns will snap him up if we don't re-sign him

Reply #685851 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I'm fairly sure this is what the Wildcats roster will look like

Brandt/Jervis
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Import/Steindl
Import/Import
Martin/Norton

Tue press release - Good bye and thanks to Walker
Wed Press Release - Welcome Tom Jervis
Thur Press Release - Thanks for service Hire
Friday Press Release - Hire is Hired as one of the assistant coaches

Reply #685853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly have never been into all this wildcats bashing, but that squad is really not looking too good these days. Sure, made the four but was it by default because teams under them sucked do badly mainly due to financial constraints.

Reply #685859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besides the obvious one in Walker, you are 0 from 3

Reply #685860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see us getting two import shooting guards and a small forward. One will be a big or at least a hybrid 3/4.

Reply #685867 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can't see Perth signing three imports this season with the additions of Kay & Norton. I suspect Jervis will likely replace that third import (Cooke) with Hire returning.

Reply #685869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hire is Hired as one of the assistant coaches"

Huh? on what basis, I don't get it. Unless it was just to make a lame joke then okay.

Reply #685872 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

"But offensively he's gone backwards"?

He's always been an elite offensive rebounder and really good defender but has struggled with his shot... but if you watch him during pregame warm up he hits more 3pointers anyone, Cotton, Redhage, Wagstaff, Steindl included... putting that into practice in games is what he's struggled with.

I'd rather see him retire and make Steindl stand up and prove himself.

If DKD doesn't return then I'd like to see a returning college player as new blood provides added interest as we've had very little roster changes in the past 5 seasons or so

Reply #685878 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Greg's past four years he has shot 44, 38, 37 and 33 per cent on three-pointers.

Reply #685886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, Perth have already stated they are looking to fill all three import spots.

Reply #685889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not his offence but his defence, he has gotten slower and is having to guard 2guards, not a good combination

Reply #685894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Vague and Steindl in the squad, Cats can't afford to not fill 3 import slots.
Their problem last season was they had about 4 guys who "would be handy as the 11th man".

I wouldn't have minded seeing Hire in that role, but I feel they need to hit a few more home-runs. They have lost a lot of size and inside presence. Kay is a good step to reclaim some of that, but they still need more off the bench. Whether its an import or local.

Reply #685945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Friday Press Release - Hire is Hired as one of the assistant coaches"

Not a bad comment.

Due to his other commitments, Greg is less likely to accept a bit-role in Cairns or Illawarra.
Whilst from the Cat's perspective, one of the things they value is his passion, commitment, and character.
Easy to see him moving into a Community relations role.

Reply #685946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #685954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before he was on the roster Hire was looking at applying to be the Cats strength and conditioning co-ordinator. He's a great leader and clubman. I can see them offeeing him some sort of part time role to keep him around the club, have his influence, potentially used him as s train on and injury replacement.

They spoke highly of walkers impact when he was at the club the year he didn't play, I reckon Hire would have an even greater impact.

Reply #685967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What salary would Hire be on? Anywhere between 60k - 80k.

The guy has been with the club for over 200 games, coming from a Development Player and obviously has the respect of his peers by being voted Vice-Captain for the last four years. Either he is blackmailing Gleeson or there's some fair reason he has been with the club for quite some time, he is obviously valuable to the program.

In saying that - yes he's limited in his role, he is obviously not paid the big bucks and only plays a maximum of ten minutes, I don't think you are going to find another player that suits this team more, he provides hustle and energy in limited minutes, has shot 40% on average from the three the last four seasons.

If they are to move on from him, I can't see him remaining to be a practice player, it's public knowledge his endeavours off the court so I think he will transition seamlessly into that role.

Reply #686019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> What salary would Hire be on?

Between 390k and 410k

Reply #686028 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Anon, I agree with all that, hence the question.

Cats have one more local spot to fill. Should they give it to Hire, Naar, or Jervis?
Witj Waxy gone, I would have assumed they were keeping Hire (along with Wagstaff) as backup 3/4, but they have signed Vague to that role.

Reply #686259 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Any truth to the rumour he might be headed for the Hawks?
I haven't done the math but I imagine it was Bevo who recruited him?

My concern if he remains is not Greg himself, but what it means for the squad.

Based on recent seasons, I can easily see Gleeson coming out with something like this:

Martin / Norton
Cotton / Steindl
Tokoto / Hire
Kay / Wagstaff/ Vague
Brandt / Import

That's a good team, but one with too many questions over the bench.

Reply #687025 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Tokoto! Hopefully Perth find someone better.
Still hopeful of Jervis coming back

Reply #687027 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adding Jervis would create an import spot off the bench to add more offence to second unit

Reply #687028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Norton sign in Perth to come off the bench? Tough to get a starting PG gig in the NBL with all the import PG talent I guess.

Reply #687029 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I would imagine that Norton signed to become the Heir-Apparent to Damo.
I would envisage him playing solid minutes in a 3-man rotation with Martin and Cotton, and naturally starting when Martin is injured.

As time progresses, and the team becomes more accustomed to Mitch at the point, he will surely see more minutes. Maybe even start away games.

Damo will be 34 next season, plus injuries will take their toll.
The Cats will keep him "starting" in Perth, for as long as they can, but he's probably only got 2~3 seasons left, and his minutes will fall away.

Reply #687033 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

What are the chances of Cotton returning? Has there been discussion?

Reply #687043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I would do if I was Perth

Martin/Norton
Import/Import
Import/Steindl
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Brandt/Jervis

Would've dumped Steindl for Hire based on what he showed last season.

Reply #687047 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Would have dumped Steindl for a free chips and bottle of coke.

Reply #687052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754