Anonymous
Years ago

5 Under 450K rule?

Is this rule still enforced?
Or was it ever enforced?

Topic #43279 | Report this topic

WookieE  
Years ago

According to the latest article with JvG on the NBL website...

The aggregate salary of at least five of a team's eleven players must be no more than forty percent of the salary floor, which for NBL19 equates to $481,000.

Reply #687767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty hard to manage when every NBL player is on 400k a year

Reply #687769 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

$481k means last season average team salary total was 1.336M! That's a 30% increase since the introduction of the 1M soft cap. Complying with the aggregate rule isn't so hard with that hefty increase.

Reply #687770 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

LOL...I'm sure this rule is enforced as much as the Tax incentive one.

Reply #687781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect this rule actually is followed. Otherwise, I don't know if you'd see Adelaide lock in Doyle for three years or Melbourne with Adnam and Hooley rather than stealing higher value targets from elsewhere.

Reply #687784 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

This would be correct, every teams 7-11 players average $95k each, some earn $60k and others earn $130k, the disparity is with the first 6 on each roster. One would assume the Hawks and Taipans top 6 would total $700k whereas the big boys would be closer to $1.5 million.

Reply #687788 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Who knows, its not as if the NBL has actually been open and transparent.
Why would Sydney choose to comply with this one?
Besides, what's the penalty for not complying??

having said that, it maybe be possible if we only strictly look at salaries, and don't include allowances and benefits.

The problem isn't your 10th & 11th guys, sure many of those would be on the league minimum. The problem is 7th & 8th. Yes, in some teams those guys are fillers and role players, but some of the better teams have run pretty deep.

It's also hard when you have aging stars. Eg Kenny probably wasn't getting much, and may have fit comfortably, but he's been replaced with Norton who would not be cheap.

But it would explain a few things.
Be interesting to watch Perth's final signings. If they go for a spud with their last local spot, and sign another cheap import like Cooke, maybe they are trying to fit.

Do we see back-ended contracts in the NBL?

Reply #687796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the NBL gets to see data that the public does not, AD.

Reply #687798 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Using Perth as an example their bottom five would be
Wagstaff
Steindl
Vague
* local * possibly Jervis
Cheaper import.

Can they fit under 481K?
I think so, Vague would be at minimum and Steindl wouldn't be on too much more than that.
Of course this would be a guess.

Reply #687808 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I'm sure the NBL gets to see data that the public does not, AD.
Maybe, but in the case of say Sydney and Perth, I would say the NBL sees only what is volunteered.

And anyway, that wasn't my point. I was saying that we wouldn't know whether the rule was being enforced.

Reply #687822 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

anyone know what the minimum is?

Reply #687823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These five players are not always players 7-11. Sometimes they are imports and important players.

Remember, we do not know what level of pay the players actually accept. Your perception of their "value", or even their actual maximum possible "value" is not necessarily what they agreed to be paid.

Reply #687827 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Minimum for 18/19 is $54,659 I think.

Reply #687832 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Minimum for 18/19 is $54,659 I think."
Then I suppose its possible.
If they re-sign hire and Cooke, it would seem they're trying to comply.

Who would have been Adelaide's 5 this past season?

Reply #687834 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

For 36ers, Doyle, Drm, Deng, Teys and Hodgy would have been easily under $450k.

Reply #687837 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

LOL

the NBL was bleeding money when the cap was $1,000,000 now teams are spending $1,300,000 plus with no extra income

Genius business model ha ha ha ha

Reply #687843 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Teams would be complying with this.

5 players on an average of 95k each.

For United I'd expect that Adnam, Hooley and Smith-Milner would easily be under 95k.

Trist and Barlow who knows, but I doubt they'd be on too much more than 95k.

Imagine you were on 95k as an NBL player.

- NBL- 95k
- SEABL/State League/NZNBL - 25k
- Part time job- 35k

Depending on the line of work I guess. Most NBL players would be available basically full time from March/April to July but have severely restricted availability from August to February.

But most professions- Law, Accounting, Audit, Tax, IT allow some degree of flexibility these days. As do basic manual jobs - which do still exist. Skilled trade jobs, medical fields, teaching would be harder to get that flexibility but not impossible - consider casual relief teaching for example.

That's 155k. And realistic. 180k puts you in the top 3% of earners, so not too bad at all being close to that.

Reply #687844 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Medical field is extremely flexible with single day contracts out there on the market. They pay well too

Reply #687848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't realise that the minimum had gone up by almost 30%?.
Is there any source to this? I had always thought that the minimum was approx $42000ish

Reply #687859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if it appears (most) teams are actually complying with this, what do we think of the actual rule??

Whilst it might be claimed the rule is to prevent stacking, and.or preserve places for lower skilled locals, I disagree.

The problem is that the rule, as it currently stands, basically says "spend whatever the hell you want on 6 players, pay decent coin for a further one or two, then scrimp on the rest."

Firstly how is it fair to put such huge downward pressure on the salary of your 9~11 guys, probably forcing them to accept the league minimum, whilst at the top end spending is out of control. Shouldn't very player be allowed to earn whatever the market or their teams thinks they are worth?

It's also unfair on a team that may want to go with a spread of depth, rather than a cadre of superstars.

It also makes it very difficult for teams with aging stars.

And ultimately, it means that we are going to lose "mid-tier" locals to 4th rate overseas leagues. Whilst preserving places for spuds.

There's been a lot of talk about Jervis coming back to Perth. So he has to choose between the big dollars he was offered to go to Brissy, or playing for the league minimum.

Or, do we just assume that teams will circumvent the cap when they deem it necessary?

Reply #688514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754