Anonymous
Years ago

Stratford: I don't mind losing money for a while

Some quotes from a slightly old ABC article (February 2018), but some positive quotes there from the Hawks owner.

Mr Stratford said his passion for the team had helped offset the financial struggles that had always plagued the Illawarra Hawks.

The club has always been one of the poorest in the national competition, and it has struggled for consistent large crowds for the past decade.

"We have definitely been losing money on the investment, but you accept that in some business decisions, and some you win and some you lose," he said.

"It's a business first and I'm starting to get a good passion for the Hawks, and I've recently purchased a property down there to be closer to the team so I can stay after games at functions and meet members.

"I don't mind losing money, but you can't keep losing money forever."

Mr Stratford and Mr Spenceley are using the announcement to encourage Illawarra residents to attend Hawks games.

"We'll look at ways to bring more crowds to the game and get more corporate dollars down there," Mr Stratford said.

"We like the way [NBL owner] Larry [Kestelman] is taking the game and if we hang in there, it will go in the right direction, but for us to hang in there we need the crowds.

"There are 200,000 people in the Illawarra and there should be no reason why we can't get 4,500 people there at the games."

Topic #43355 | Report this topic

Haz  
Years ago

Good. I hope they seriously do something to address their awful crowd numbers.

Reply #689357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then the hawks should keep Conger 3years 1million dollars so the locals can have a house hold name?

Reply #689359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK subsidising yet another team. Sob. sob.

Reply #689361 | Report this post

If Larry wasn't subsidising teams there would be no league. I dislike Larry for killing the Tigers but respect the man for saving the league.

Reply #689364 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Larry does not subsidise Illawarra.

Reply #689367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Illawarra have done a good job so far building their team. Should be competitive again. Fans should come out and support!

Reply #689368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who else has signed except Naar who new?

Reply #689370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield and Conklin.

Reply #689372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin hasn't signed yet

Reply #689390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:04 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754