Anonymous
Years ago

Pearlman not returning to Taipans

Pearlman's 6 year stint in Cairns is over. Not offered a position under Mike Kelly, it's time to hang up the boots.
Well respected by all players it's an interesting decision by Kelly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/players-back-jamie-as-taipans-let-him-go/news-story/98ded145381ccbc7ab956b8edeb768bd

Topic #43390 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subscriber only, any chance of copy and paste?

Reply #690159 | Report this post

Hhhhhhhhhhhydx  
Years ago

Players back Jamie as Taipans let him go
MAY 25, 2018
FORMER Taipans players have expressed their disappointment and frustration after lead assistant coach Jamie Pearlman was not offered a coaching position under new coach Mike Kelly.

The respected coach yesterday took to social media to announce his departure from the club, thanking players, coaches and fans for their commitment and support of the team and his coaching journey over his six years at the club.

The former NBL guard also held the position as Taipans academy coach and Cairns Marlins coach in the QBL while he assisted Aaron Fearne.

RESPECTED: Jamie Pearlman, ex-Taipans lead assistant coach. Picture: BRENDAN RADKE.
Former Taipans fan favourite Cameron Tragardh described Pearlman as a "players' coach".

“I found it instantly easier to connect with him ’cause he’d played in the NBL for so long,” Tragardh said.

“He built his playing career on hard work and I think that translated into his coaching.

“I know for a fact that the senior players on the current Taipans team will be disappointed at his departure.”

After leading the Marlins to the 2016 QBL championship, Pearlman opted to further his coaching journey in the New Zealand NBL this season, where he has led the Nelson Giants to a 4-2 record.

His former captain at the Marlins, James Mitchell, likened him to Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr.

“He’s a bit like Kerr, personality-wise, and he knows the game and he’s real personable and honest,” Mitchell said.

RESPECTED: Jamie Pearlman, ex-Taipans lead assistant coach. PICTURE: STEWART McLEAN.
“Everyone I know who’s played for him has loved having him as their coach.”

A veteran of more than 200 NBL games, Pearlman helped shape a generation of Far North basketballers through his work in the academy.

“I know a lot of the boys who have been involved with him really respect him as a person and what he’s about as a coach,” Taipans academy graduate Matthew Adekponya said.

The Cairns Taipans were contacted for comment.

Reply #690160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herald Sun about to have their media credentials revoked.

Reply #690161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad move from the Taipans I get the need/want to move on from the Fearne era but Pearlman would've brought some continuity.

Be interesting to see who they get as the other Assistant.

Could see Pearlman move into the assistant's role at Melboune now Kelly has gone?

Reply #690162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good move,Kelly setting up his own group, no boys club unless you earned it.

Reply #690169 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Jordan bloody Gerrans stirring the pot yet again. if you need an example of why Cairns Basketball has had enough of this hack this a perfect example.

"Players back Jamie as Taipans let him go"

You read that headline and assume that it's the taipans playing group. Read it closely and the three players willing to go on record about the decision are Tragardh (cut several years ago halfway through his 2 year contract), adekponya and Mitchell (2 DPs who have both publicly fallen out with and long moved on from the taipans and cairns basketball).

"3 ex Marlins and/or taipans players go on record to say they rate Pearlman as a coach after hearing his contract hasn't been renewed" doesn't quite have the same ring to it though.

Reply #690174 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

How is this even a story?

New Head-Coach gets to pick his own crew, that's written in stone.

And clearly he has already moved on, coaching in NZ instead of the Marlins. Best of Luck to him.

Reply #690181 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Good move,Kelly setting up his own group, no boys club unless you earned it.

Doesn't that just mean it's the Mike Kelly new boys club replacing the old boys club?

Reply #690184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about an explanation for why your contract not continuing on?
Running the DP program surely means accountability and KPIs and all the other wanky word.
Oh Jamie, we have spoken about this before and you continue not to be up to out standard.. fair enough.
Jobs for the boys is expected to a certain point, but of he was doing a good job then that's unfair.

Reply #690192 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Silly statement from Trigger " I know senior players will be unhappy", only Loughton & Jawai left mate! Good move from Kelly.

Reply #690229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Known Jamie for a long time but he isn't nbl level yet. Great 2nd tier talent but he isn’t what Kelly needs

Reply #690997 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mike Kelly was only given a 2 year contract by the Taipans not a 3 year deal as is normally the case. Why on Earth would he want Pearlman there who was being groomed as the heir apparent to Fearne?

Imagine if you're Kelly the club only gives you a two year deal you move up there with all your family in tow and get off too a rocky start with a budget roster say if they lost their first 8-9 games, what might happen?

The club would have Pearlman sitting there on staff as effectively a ready made replacement, they could probably afford to eat the last 1.5 years of your contract (unlikely if there were 2.5 years left), fans would be losing interest it would make it too easy for them to fire him admit they made a mistake and should've promoted Pearlman all along and then Kelly has got to uproot his family again and move on five minutes after arriving.

If I were Mike Kelly the last thing I would want is Jamie Pearlman staying on especially if the team only gave me a two year contract.

Reply #691004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea throw in some chump to replace an excellent coach to protect Kelly.

Reply #691017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns can't afford to cut any player let alone the coach - if that’s the reason for letting Pearlman go then that’s not a good reason.

Reply #691030 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jamie O'Laughlan looking to suck up and get further up the ladder like he has done most of his career.
Remember his days of sucking up to Pat Hunt at Jnr Development camps.
When at the Canberra Classic where ever Pat was he was right beside him.
Pearlman probably got stabbed by him to Kelly.

Reply #691032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754