Anonymous
Years ago

Brian Bowen considering NBL

The 6-foot-7 Bowen could now pursue opportunities in the NBA G League or overseas, perhaps in Australia, and then potentially re-enter the Draft in 2019. One source said he was close to playing professionally in Australia before he transferred to South Carolina from Louisville.

Topic #43494 | Report this topic

Smith  
Years ago

Has the nbl clarified the framework around their proposal? Are the eight players assigned via a draft or simply designated teams as the league sees fit?

Reply #692676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be 'given' to teams like Cairns to create some parity and depth.

Reply #692681 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree with Anon- Cairns & the Hawks should have first pick for parity sake

Reply #692698 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They can be "given" to teams but these kids won't make much of an on court difference and will become more like expensive babysitting.

Ferguson from Adelaide was just "okay" on the court and out of the rotation when it really mattered plus the club had to have him and his mum out here so it becomes quite the effort for just a bench rotation guy.

Reply #692699 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think it's fair to compare all these kids to Ferguson. Ferguson was built like a rake and played conservatively. Not all kids are going to come in that underdeveloped.

Reply #692704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be real, the league owner also owns Melbourne and Brisbane, those 2 will have the picks of the players then the others will get the rest.

Reply #692707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he be a fourth import ?
I don't like the idea of 4 imports per team.

Such a tricky one should just Cairns and Illawarra be given the extra import at leagues expense to help with parity?
In the early 2000s I think the bottom two teams had an extra import. I don't think Brisbane and Sydney should have more imports.

He would also be coming into the league nearly two years older than Ferguson was when he joined.

Reply #692715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to see whether there is enough interest in the program first (from both players and clubs) before deciding how players will be distributed.

Reply #692717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for the border line Australian players, let's be honest if these guys come in how will players like Sobey for instance get a start, he took a good few years in the system before he got there. Would he have got the opportunity if some college kid got starts.

Reply #692746 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I don't think this will hamper young Aussies. I mean they're making an extra roster spot for these Next Gen kids, and there's no saying that some of the Next Gen kids won't be Australian.

Furthermore, as always, it's up to the teams who they pick up and who gets court time and who doesn't. I think you could make a case for at least one player on every NBL team who shouldn't really be in the league - Brendan Teys, Kevin White, Greg Hire, etc. If one of those guys lose a spot to a likely draft pick that will help raise the profile of the league, is Australian basketball really losing?

For as long as there are players who make you cringe to see come on court in our league, I think we have plenty of space for extra imports, especially with new teams expected to be announced for next season.

Reply #692817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys, White and Hire have all been resigned so the coaches obviously see places on there teams for them. They are not young either, it's the border line guys that could miss out.

Reply #692820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754